HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Horrible eye injury to teammate.

Old
03-04-2010, 02:38 PM
Roccosvan

vCash: 500
Horrible eye injury to teammate.

Playing a Men's C level beer league game last night, my d partner got tangled up with a forechecker, and they fell together. A skate somehow came up and sliced his face and eye very badly and deeply.

We had to call 911 and he went to the hospital for emergency surgery. It will be a miracle if he can see out of his eye ever again.

He wears a smaller size visor but he pushes it way up high. Just wanted to tell everyone the story and warn everyone that if you play rec hockey be careful and wear your visor properly and keep the chin strap on tight.

Sorry if i patronized anyone but this scared the hell out of me last night.

Thanks.

Roccosvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 02:40 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

That's terrible, hoping for the best for him. Glad the skate didn't get the neck.

But that's why I wear the cage...just doesn't make sense not to.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 02:57 PM
ALF AmericanLionsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
That's terrible, hoping for the best for him. Glad the skate didn't get the neck.

But that's why I wear the cage...just doesn't make sense not to.
Yes, everytime I think about taking the cage off something happens to remind me that it's not worth it and I've seen far too many facial injuries playing rec hockey.

ALF AmericanLionsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 03:02 PM
Hrad

I don't really get it either, it's not like cages compromise your vision...and hey, if everyone is wearing them it's fair right?

But I guess it's because cages look a bit "dorky" compared to what the NHL guys look like right now.

Hrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 03:10 PM
wondeROY
danglesnipecelly.nee

Yikes....maybe he'll switch to a cage now. No way in hell i'd wear anything less unless I'm getting paid to play. 9500 cage FTW!

wondeROY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 03:10 PM
kirsi

yikes, hope things turn out as good as possible.

kirsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 03:26 PM
noobman

This is why I'll never ditch the full cage. I tried it once and almost lost a tooth.... I hope for your teammates sake that he gets well soon, and is still able to see out of his eye!

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 03:30 PM
ILflyersfan12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrad View Post
I don't really get it either, it's not like cages compromise your vision...and hey, if everyone is wearing them it's fair right?

But I guess it's because cages look a bit "dorky" compared to what the NHL guys look like right now.
couldnt agree more.

i dont wear a cage, not because i dont want to look "dumb" or like a NHL'r. just because i dont know why. i just where a visor. and i wear it properly. because whats the point in having a visor, if you dont wear it correctly.

Roccosvan....hope your buddy is alright.

ILflyersfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 03:43 PM
rinkrat22

what is your guys opinions on seatbelts? or motorcyclists wearing helmets? we do lots of things in life that are dangerous. If wearing a cage is whats right for you, thats what is right for you. Might not be right for everyone, correct? I hope the injured player is ok, or has a speedy recovery at the least.

rinkrat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 04:28 PM
densetsu

I know a lot of people who wear visors incorrectly. They have the non-certified visors (only two mounting points, don't know the proper term for them), but they don't install them properly. They either don't tighten the screws enough, so the visor swings up and down easily; or they do the screws up tight but leave the visor high, making the visor useless because it covers very little (like what happened to the OP's friend).

In a hilarious but painful anecdote, one of my teammates with a loosely-mounted visor fell awkwardly into the boards and had his visor tilt *down*, knocking out one front tooth and chipping another one.

I'd stick with a three-point visor at the minimum, cage preferably. At the least, a three-point visor will stay where it's supposed to stay. And while we're at it, make sure your chinstrap is done up properly too, because in a collision no visor in the world will protect your eyes from skates or sticks if your helmet falls off.

As a goalie I always wear a cage (obviously), but I've moved from the cateye cage to the birdcage. I've taken quite a few sticks to the face, and I figured if I stuck with the cateye it'd just be a matter of time before one found it's way into my eye.

densetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 04:40 PM
gluvhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinkrat22 View Post
what is your guys opinions on seatbelts? or motorcyclists wearing helmets? we do lots of things in life that are dangerous. If wearing a cage is whats right for you, thats what is right for you. Might not be right for everyone, correct? I hope the injured player is ok, or has a speedy recovery at the least.
Personally, I won't drive without a seat belt or ride helmetless. I trust my self. It's other drivers I don't trust. And the thought of being an emotional and financial drain on my family is enough to keep me strapped in or capped. I totally get the "do what's right for you" angle but personal freedoms don't amount to much if something horrible happens and you (and I obviously don't mean you personally) have to spend your life in a wheel chair or mentally disabled. As far as hockey goes, being a goalie doesn't give me a choice, so I'm lucky in that regard.

gluvhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 04:40 PM
Roccosvan

Thanks for all the replies everyone.

I've been calling people today to get updates on his status, they had to drain his eye that was filled with blood and then had surgery to fix a rupture in the back of his eyeball.

I'm not here to patronize anyone and tell them to wear cages (I wear a visor). Just when you see something like this up close it really hits hard.

If you are going to wear a visor, make sure it is installed correctly and securely, and not flipped up like my teammates'.

Roccosvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 04:45 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

It's a good PSA...reading about a number of players who died from heart attacks from taking slappers to the chest got me to pick up some better shoulder pads, and reading about (and seeing pictures of) people who got speared by composite sticks got me putting end plugs in them. Last I checked, nobody was getting paid to play hockey on these sites, so wearing some protective gear just makes sense.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 04:48 PM
cmdrdredd

All I can say is ouch. Leaves a nasty picture in my mind.

cmdrdredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 05:06 PM
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.

One of my team mates once said ''Theres no one on that bench or doctors to save my face if I get cut out there. I'm wearing a cage.''

Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 07:01 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
It's a good PSA...reading about a number of players who died from heart attacks from taking slappers to the chest got me to pick up some better shoulder pads, and reading about (and seeing pictures of) people who got speared by composite sticks got me putting end plugs in them. Last I checked, nobody was getting paid to play hockey on these sites, so wearing some protective gear just makes sense.
I think it's up to the rinks, maybe USA Hockey or whatever organization watches over Canadian leagues but I'd like to see standardized equipment minimums. I think visors should be mandatory, just like the minors. You don't like it go play somewhere else. Shoulder pads should be required as well. If you don't have the minimum equipment required to play you sit, simple as that. Maybe for rec league hockey cages should be required? I don't wear one but it seems like it would wipe out a lot of injuries and insurance costs the rinks and the players pay.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 07:37 PM
Hockeyfan68

Firstly I'm sorry this happened ... I know there is a cage vs visor vs not wearing anything etc etc debate going on here.

That is all pointless debate, hockey is a dangerous sport. Wear a cage and get your throat slit, wear shin pads and get a broken leg, wear gloves and get a broken hand, hit the boards with all the protection ever sold and still break your neck.

The guy got hurt and i am not about to state some stupid crap in hindsight like "You should have worn a mask" .... a guy breaks his neck and ends up in a wheelchair someone in here would say "he should have played tennis instead and if he did he would be able to walk now".

.... and a cage does mess with one's vision who cannot get used to one. I tried three different ones and a full clear shield and it just didn't work.

I wear a visor and I wear it properly. I want to get neck protection because I do not like vital veins open like that. I'm not going to type that everyone should wear one because it just makes sense.

It's hockey and everyone is different and most people who play know the risks. Some people don't wear a helmet when riding a motorcycle or a seatbelt when driving a car.

It's their choice.

if you play hockey you WILL be injured no matter what you are wearing and if you fear getting hurt DON'T PLAY HOCKEY.

Last edited by Hockeyfan68: 03-04-2010 at 07:51 PM.
Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 07:49 PM
thedonger

vCash: 50
Quote:
don't know about IL, but in some states, like here in jersey, it is illegal to not wear your seatbelt or not wear a helmet while riding a motorcycle.

thedonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 08:28 PM
cmdrdredd

In FL seatbelt is required by law but you can ride a motorcycle with no helmet. Though you need eye protection at all times while riding a bike. Odd

cmdrdredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 08:35 PM
DogFoodEnforcer

holy crap. that is horrible!

i play C level men's league too. last week i got a skate to the face. luckily i was wearing a visor. it cut horizontally over my right eye. there's now a deep gouge in the visor directly in my line of sight. scared the crap out of me.

i keep fighting the common sense side of my brain for some reason. i just cant bring myself to wear a cage again (although i know i probably should)

DogFoodEnforcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 08:46 PM
Scott Hall
The Bad Guy

vCash: 950
I run a fairly amateur hockey league in my area - about 8 teams right now. And one of my good friends happens to play on a team.

Long story short, he dove for a loose puck in the crease and wound up tripping up a defenseman who's skate came up and cut him across the neck. We had to rush him to the hospital to get him stitched up - luckily it wasn't life threatening - but damn was it ever close. By the time he was all patched up, we all had a good laugh about it, but he learned his lesson and went to buy a neck guard the next day.

note: he does have a visor, the Heatley-style one.

Anyway, I'm sorry to hear about your friend and wish him all the best in a speedy recovery.

Scott Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 10:34 PM
rinkrat22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
I think it's up to the rinks, maybe USA Hockey or whatever organization watches over Canadian leagues but I'd like to see standardized equipment minimums. I think visors should be mandatory, just like the minors. You don't like it go play somewhere else. Shoulder pads should be required as well. If you don't have the minimum equipment required to play you sit, simple as that. Maybe for rec league hockey cages should be required? I don't wear one but it seems like it would wipe out a lot of injuries and insurance costs the rinks and the players pay.
just out of curosity, what other rights would you like to take away? what country are we living in? I'm a grown man if I want to wear a cage, or a visor, or nothing at all, it should be my decision. I understand the risks and am capable of making my own decisions. that being said, I do wear a visor. (and its not all tilted up)

and for the other question, Illinois has a seatbelt law but no helmet law for motorcyclists. the point I was making was that as adults we should make decisions for ourselves. whats right for you may not be right for the next guy. although I wear my seatbelt, I dont think it should be the law for adults. an adult should be able to make an informed decision on their own.

Old
03-04-2010, 10:42 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
just out of curosity, what other rights would you like to take away? what country are we living in? I'm a grown man if I want to wear a cage, or a visor, or nothing at all, it should be my decision. I understand the risks and am capable of making my own decisions. that being said, I do wear a visor. (and its not all tilted up)

and for the other question, Illinois has a seatbelt law but no helmet law for motorcyclists. the point I was making was that as adults we should make decisions for ourselves. whats right for you may not be right for the next guy. although I wear my seatbelt, I dont think it should be the law for adults. an adult should be able to make an informed decision on their own.
I'm sorry but there shall be NO naked hockey playing in this country.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 10:50 PM
rinkrat22

careful, I might go all Ned Braden on you...

Old
03-04-2010, 11:02 PM
Maupin Fan
Hot Air

Sorry to hear that happened to your buddy.

Similar thing happened to me about a year ago. I used to play free faced, no cage or visor. I took a puck to the mouth, luckily nothing major happened, no teeth lost, just 10 stitches and a little annoyance trying to open my mouth to eat for a few days.

So I went out to play the next week and had to go back to a cage to protect the stitches. I got tangled up with a guy, he fell and I fell forward onto his skate blade. Put a nice gash in one of the bars of my cage. If I hadn't been hit the week before, I never would have had the cage on and would have looked like an elephant with the middle of my nose, chin and mouth split open. I mean, the skate blade literally hit the middle of my cage where nose, mouth, etc are. After those two experiences in a week, I said that I would never play without a cage again.

Every time my cage gets rung by a high stick, it reminds me how glad I am that I have one on.

Maupin Fan is offline   Reply With Quote