HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Preds vs. Kings ~~ March 04, 2010 7:00 PM

Old
03-04-2010, 09:24 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

vCash: 500
Amazingly we were able to get set up in the zone on that PP. Let Shea rip a couple ... control the puck ... good passing ... Arnott with the shot from his comfort zone.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 09:48 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

I just want to go on record as having said that the LA announcers are quite possibly worse than the Columbus announcers. At least those guys don't have to look at a roster card to know who number 20 on the Nashville Predators is... oh, and they know the difference between the numbers 27 and 37

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 09:51 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
OK, much better second period...but, we have a tendency of struggling in the first period, then adjusting in the locker room, dominating the second period, and then finally getting out adjusted in the third...

Nice to see the PP FINALLY convert on a chance...

Don't like seeing how aggressive Grebeshkov is at the offensive end of the ice...needs to learn to sit back a little more and let opportunities open up for him to pinch, rather than jumping down and trying to force things to happen...

Decent PK, had a little difficulty when they were able to get control and put the puck on net. Good job of all four defenders collapsing down and taking bodies to allow Pekka to get the cover...

Gotta bear down, maintain the aggressive forecheck whenever possible, and make LA earn whatever they get. We are at our best when we are a frustrating team to play against. Tonight we've done a good job of doing it for about 30 of the 40 minutes. Gotta find a way to do it for another 20 minutes and come out of here with two points...0-0 game, get out there and win the period!!!

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 09:56 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

1-0 game in favor of us beats 0-0

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 09:57 PM
deleted

Roof daddy Goc and Quick with his second assist for us lol.

deleted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 10:00 PM
OpenWheel

As soon as Wilson got rocked, I knew Tootoo would be scrapping.

OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 10:06 PM
Seth Lake

Erat with a beautiful read to cut off Quick's pass and move it out front to Goc for the goal...

Clean hit on Wilson and nice to see Tootoo make sure to take action...

Suter with a bad penalty there. Knew it was a bad decision, but couldn't avoid contact drawing the call...

Old
03-04-2010, 10:07 PM
Seth Lake

Suter's blunder costs the team...Doughty down low puts it past Rinne...3-2

Gotta play smarter...

Old
03-04-2010, 10:14 PM
OpenWheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Gotta play smarter...
High stick to allow another 4 on 3.

Last edited by OpenWheel: 03-04-2010 at 10:29 PM.
Old
03-04-2010, 10:21 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

That was a nice PP goal by the Kings there. It was like a give and go with Doughty going all the way from the right point to the left backdoor.

4-3 is just as bad as 5-3...

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 10:24 PM
Seth Lake

Two minutes to go...

Shorten the shifts, take it a zone at a time, mind the lines, get it out and get it deep first time every time...

Pekka is gonna have to be great in this flurry...must win some faceoffs to get early control and keep Quick in the net...

Old
03-04-2010, 10:29 PM
Seth Lake

Great play by Suter to use his hand to knock down the dump-in and set it up for Ward to shield the puck to allow Smithson to backhand it 160' down the ice dead center into the empty net!

4-2 Preds!

Old
03-04-2010, 10:29 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

wth, another timekeeper fail.

Old
03-04-2010, 10:31 PM
OpenWheel

Old
03-04-2010, 10:32 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenWheel View Post
High stick to allow another 4 on 3.
I know, I had the same thought just when that happened...but, the Preds buckled down and killed it off for Erat...great PK there!

Old
03-04-2010, 10:39 PM
Steelhead16

Rinne coulda sat on a chair for that game. Until the last 5 mins he didn't have to do anything.

Steelhead16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 10:57 PM
Seth Lake

Huge win for the Preds tonight! Even bigger win for Pekka! Rinne was under control all night, no rebounds, no chance on either goal. Pekka was very active getting out of his net and moving the puck for his defensemen. I thought that really helped prevent LA from setting up any type of effective forecheck for most of the night and helped the Preds take control of the game.

Very nice game by Erat in the offensive zone. Took a bad penalty late, but set up Arnott and Goc for beautiful scoring chances and almost had a third with about 90 seconds remaining sending it out front to Hornqvist in the slot...

Nice to see Arnott get the PP goal. The whole PP struggled tonight, but when they were finally able to let Shea tee up some shots, it created chaos and got the LA PK out of sorts. Arnott found the open space he needed and Erat found him with that gorgeous cross-crease feed for the quick snapper into the upper corner. Very difficult shot that Arnott made look easy...

Legwand...21 games straight without a goal now...I thought he was gonna get one with the empty net, but Kopitar got back to play goal and made a great save. Leggy is contributing in all other phases of the game, but it would be great to see him pop home a goal or two down the stretch...

Wardo was a beast on the forecheck. Very difficult player to play against. Big body, knows how to use his size, and has great puck control with guys draped all over him. I honestly think it comes from his roller hockey days, but whatever it is...if he has the puck, I have confidence that he'll be the one to come out of the corner with it...

Wilson with some great puck control, but was really a non-factor after getting lined up by Greene. Tootoo does his job and comes over to confront Greene, never saw what he did, but I like the team toughness factor and liked it even more when the penalties came out even.

Back to Wilson for a second...past couple games I've seen him be a little too unselfish with players crashing the net. Yes, he is a playmaker first, but I'd like to see him be a little more selfish and use his great wrist/snap shot coming down the wing with speed to put the puck on net and allow Tootoo to crash and bury the trash. Passing the puck to Tootoo flying to the net at 100 mph isn't going to generate as many scoring chances as pumping the pads and forcing the defense to make a play will...

Grebeshkov was too aggressive for my liking tonight. Was better in the third period, but through the first 40 minutes...he was very aggressive pinching down in the offensive zone and also about 10' inside the blueline whenever we got possession set up in the offensive zone making him a prime candidate to get beat back to his own end...which was exactly what lead to his penalty. Grebs was so far up ice that he had to skate side-by-side with Simmonds coming back into the zone and never got a chance to get up defensively...

Bouillon with a very strong game tonight. Quiet all night long, the type of game you want from a defenseman. If you don't notice him all night...he's done a fantastic job. Just a solid game all around...

Lastly, it's about time that the SAD line was dangerous for the complete game and not in terms of being a liability...great game by that group. Earned another game together and you've gotta hope they keep it up...

Peterson said it best in his post-game interview, the Predators don't have a "top line", we have a "1a, 1b, 1c, and 1d." In order to play down the stretch we'll need to be able to roll four lines for a full 60 minutes. That doesn't mean that we need to get scoring from each line, but they do have to keep the work ethic up and keep the team going when we're rolling or make a play to change the momentum when we're behind.

Huge win tonight...a few things still to be worked on, but I'll take it. Huge game tomorrow at Detroit, but for tonight...it's another GREAT night to be a Predators fan!!!

Old
03-04-2010, 10:59 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predanerd View Post
That was a nice PP goal by the Kings there. It was like a give and go with Doughty going all the way from the right point to the left backdoor.

4-3 is just as bad as 5-3...
IMO, 4 on 3 is worse due to the amount of open ice available to work with. Other teams are able to ice a unit of skill players and use the space to work the puck around to set up a goal like LA did tonight...other teams simply try to set up Weber to blast away and use Arnott as a secondary option...

Old
03-04-2010, 11:01 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

I'm stealing 101st's line

The good guys win 4-2.

I've watched the play on the first goal several times. I have yet to understand what Klein was thinking. Maybe it's just me, or maybe it's the bourbon.

My roommate and the girl he is dating went to the game. Before they left we were talking about a possible fight, but I said "nah, it won't happen. No one sticks up for their teammates in Nashville." Good to see Tootoo shut me up tonight, even if it didn't amount to anything.

Arnott with a beautiful shot. Our special teams looked good until the 4-3. Mistake by Suter, and I thought it was another example of poor positioning by Klein. In his defense there is a ton of open ice on there.

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 11:06 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
Arnott with a beautiful shot. Our special teams looked good until the 4-3. Mistake by Suter, and I thought it was another example of poor positioning by Klein. In his defense there is a ton of open ice on there.
Yeah, I thought it was a slow decision by Klein to rotate down to cover the backdoor that really lead to that goal. He needs to be able to make that read earlier and should know in the 3 man triangle, when he is up high and the puck swings low, he's responsible for rotating down quick to cover the backdoor...

Old
03-04-2010, 11:07 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
I'm stealing 101st's line

The good guys win 4-2.

I've watched the play on the first goal several times. I have yet to understand what Klein was thinking. Maybe it's just me, or maybe it's the bourbon.

My roommate and the girl he is dating went to the game. Before they left we were talking about a possible fight, but I said "nah, it won't happen. No one sticks up for their teammates in Nashville." Good to see Tootoo shut me up tonight, even if it didn't amount to anything.

First goal... yeah, I don't know what to say about that. Klein and Rinne got schooled by Frolov.

But I don't blame Klein, or anyone else for the 2nd goal. It was simply great execution by LA. Kopitar and Doughty are all stars and Smyth is the 2nd best net presence guy in the league. There is only so much you can do on a 4-3 especially against those guys.

Old
03-04-2010, 11:21 PM
OpenWheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Back to Wilson for a second...past couple games I've seen him be a little too unselfish with players crashing the net. Yes, he is a playmaker first, but I'd like to see him be a little more selfish and use his great wrist/snap shot coming down the wing with speed to put the puck on net and allow Tootoo to crash and bury the trash. Passing the puck to Tootoo flying to the net at 100 mph isn't going to generate as many scoring chances as pumping the pads and forcing the defense to make a play will...
Legwand needs to quit thinking that playing the other side to a draw is good enough. It isn't. 21 games without a goal for a player with his offensive ability is just incredible. And ridiculous. Seven points in that 21 game stretch... No wonder we slid down to the ruck.

Watching Wilson in the AHL, the few times I had a feed, he is too unselfish by passing on his shot. He has a tremendous wrister and better snap shot. I wish he'd let it fly at any glimmer of light he could see through bodies near the net. I'm already tired of seeing weaker shots by Tootoo, or a flub and no shot, when Wilson has such a high calibre shot. Tootoo will pick up plenty of rebounds and O'Reilly isn't a banger but he's no slouch at skating and grabbing a loose puck either.

Erat has 11 points in our last 6 games against the Kings, and we've won all six. Whoot!

Last edited by OpenWheel: 03-04-2010 at 11:27 PM.
Old
03-04-2010, 11:35 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenWheel View Post
Legwand needs to quit thinking that playing the other side to a draw is good enough. It isn't. 21 games without a goal for a player with his offensive ability is just incredible. And ridiculous. Seven points in that 21 game stretch... No wonder we slid down to the ruck.

Watching Wilson in the AHL, the few times I had a feed, he is too unselfish by passing on his shot. He has a tremendous wrister and better snap shot. I wish he'd let it fly at any glimmer of light he could see through bodies near the net. I'm already tired of seeing weaker shots by Tootoo, or a flub and no shot, when Wilson has such a high calibre shot. Tootoo will pick up plenty of rebounds and O'Reilly isn't a banger but he's no slouch at skating and grabbing a loose puck either.

Erat has 11 points in our last 6 games against the Kings, and we've won all six. Whoot!
You got it then, I can guarantee you 6 shots in Detroit

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 12:00 AM
predfan24

I don't have a problem with Grebs aggressive play. We didn't have that dimension of a guy who likes to jump in the play a lot this season. I think it's a good thing and will help make our offense less predictable. Because let's admit it sometimes we are very predictable offensively. I do agree with Slake though right now Grebs is a little too aggressive. Should pick his spots a little better.

I already heard how Trotz is trying to rein him in. I don't want to see that. Just make it clear to him to be smarter about when he jumps into the play.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 12:32 AM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post
I don't have a problem with Grebs aggressive play. We didn't have that dimension of a guy who likes to jump in the play a lot this season. I think it's a good thing and will help make our offense less predictable. Because let's admit it sometimes we are very predictable offensively. I do agree with Slake though right now Grebs is a little too aggressive. Should pick his spots a little better.

I already heard how Trotz is trying to rein him in. I don't want to see that. Just make it clear to him to be smarter about when he jumps into the play.
What I was discussing and I'm sure Trotz and Peterson are instilling in Grebs is that they appreciate his instinct and skill for jumping into the play and creating offense. However, he needs to make sure to keep the play in front of him and make smarter decisions from there. Allow the opportunities to present themselves, don't go fishing for a chance to pinch every time the puck comes up your board.

Grebs is gonna get to most pucks that come up to him, but it's the 50/50's where he needs to be smarter. He must make sure that if he is going to pinch that there is support coming back to cover for him and that the other team isn't blasting out of the zone attempting to set off an odd-man rush.

It's a delicate balance and I'm sure it's also a bit of a change in coaching styles as well. Grebeshkov was one of Edmonton's best defensemen last season under MacTavish and Charlie Huddy, but struggled this season with Quinn's new coaching staff and now he has to adjust to Trotz and Peterson coaching him along. I think he is very excited to have gotten out of Edmonton and into a playoff chase and will make some positive contributions down the stretch as he learns the Nashville system.

I read somewhere that Grebs was quoted post-game Tuesday that playing against his former team was very easy because he faced them everyday in practice and knew what they were going to do. I think he struggled a little bit tonight without that familiarity, but only made a couple of bad decisions. He'll have to clean that up, but it isn't a deal-breaker for me right now...