HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Looking to make the transition from Roller to Ice...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-04-2010, 07:34 PM
  #26
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?
 
Splitbtw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,801
vCash: 500
Went to check out an ice rink by me that'll i'll most likely play pickup at. looked good. i just need to figure out my skates. the best deals i've found are online, but i want to try them on first. when i played roller, i had mid to high end mission's that i believe were a 9.5 or 10. anyone have any skate suggestions?

best part, as i got off the freeway for the ice rink, there was a very hockey-friendly play it again sports that'll allow me to buy all the equipment i need for super cheap. today was a good day.

Splitbtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 08:58 PM
  #27
HowToHockey
Registered User
 
HowToHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Huntsville, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 465
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitbtw View Post
I guess when I used the term girdle, I was really referring to ice hockey pants. Definitely got confused there for a second.


What's the deal with tblades? what are they? pros/cons?
Don't bother, old fad, never caught on.


Also you are going to need to learn how to stop with ice skates. It is much different then stopping on roller blades

HowToHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 09:11 PM
  #28
Hobgoblin Steve
Bacon of Light
 
Hobgoblin Steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Bay Ridge
Country: Germany
Posts: 2,953
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by beavboyz View Post
Don't bother, old fad, never caught on.


Also you are going to need to learn how to stop with ice skates. It is much different then stopping on roller blades
Coming from inline myself, I still cant do this. I really think this is one of the hardest things to do. Just cant get it. Ive watched every youtube video, read every article, understand it in theory, understand it in my mind. Then I go to do it, and I cant

Hobgoblin Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 10:58 PM
  #29
Hockeyfan68
Registered User
 
Hockeyfan68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lewiston, ME USA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,418
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobgoblin Steve View Post
Coming from inline myself, I still cant do this. I really think this is one of the hardest things to do. Just cant get it. Ive watched every youtube video, read every article, understand it in theory, understand it in my mind. Then I go to do it, and I cant
You may fare better with a shallower radius ... for years I was using the wrong radius because I did not realize the differences. THIS forum taught me what was correct for me.

I learned that if you have to dull your skates before they feel good you are using the wrong radius. For years I would have to dull them a bit either by scraping ice or running them on the hard plastic in the bench door once. I also used the pure copper penny thing with running the penny down the length of the blade with it lying flat as to touch both edges at once. I would run it down once one way and then again the other way.

So I went from a deep hollow to a shallow hollow and now the edges are perfect immediately on the ice. I use a 3/4" hollow now.

The differences are noticable, for example ... the times before I would be sliding sideways on my outside edge on a line change like many people do on one foot stopping to the left on your right foot using the outside edge of the skate blade. It would be more difficult before than it is now.

Basically having the correct hollow made it easier for these types of things.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 01:32 AM
  #30
budster
Schoolyard Puck
 
budster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Northern Utah
Country: United States
Posts: 234
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobgoblin Steve View Post
Coming from inline myself, I still cant do this. I really think this is one of the hardest things to do.
I also have an inline foundation, but I figured out a basic stop after 4-5 times of playing. Stopping clockwise still gives me a little trouble and I don't yet feel comfortable when I'm going full speed. The thing that actually helped me was watching others turn their head and hips and their legs just seemed to follow. Then I would practicing mimicking them and watch myself in the glass to make sure my form looked ok. It also gave me a "deadline" for stopping because if I didn't I would crash into the boards.

budster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 02:37 AM
  #31
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?
 
Splitbtw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,801
vCash: 500
Skating was my best asset (i had some skills but no understanding of what i was doing) while playing roller. I understand the game better but I'm still hoping to grasp that concept the best. Literally chomping (sharks pun) at the bit to buy my first pair of skates and test drive them. Once I get a few sessions, I plan on pickup/ adult developmental to learn the ice game. I understand most of what i should be doing, it's just actually getting a feel for how to do it.


On a side note, I currently have two sticks left from roller but will only transfer one. One is a Nike Wood from 7 years ago and the other is an Ultra Lite shaft (same as Patty Marleau from a few years back) and I plan on picking up a Harrow blade to fit it. On top of that, for durability issues, I'd like to get a harrow shaft and blade combo as my backup stick. My question is this... I plan on playing ice hockey as long as my funds and body allow me too. For experimental purposes (assuming i have the money), is this a good deal?

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/mystery-...k-pack-sr.html

Splitbtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 02:50 AM
  #32
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?
 
Splitbtw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,801
vCash: 500
Also, my skill set had me most productive as a winger or offensive d man bc I literally felt at home on a pair of skates. How much trouble should I expect on ice? This is the main item on my todo list to get this process into full effect.

*For better clarification, I was not a "runner," but more so about a powerful stride (mostly forward) and crossovers (mostly backwards)


Last edited by Splitbtw: 03-05-2010 at 02:53 AM. Reason: clarification
Splitbtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 07:16 PM
  #33
Hockeyfan68
Registered User
 
Hockeyfan68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lewiston, ME USA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,418
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitbtw View Post
Also, my skill set had me most productive as a winger or offensive d man bc I literally felt at home on a pair of skates. How much trouble should I expect on ice? This is the main item on my todo list to get this process into full effect.

*For better clarification, I was not a "runner," but more so about a powerful stride (mostly forward) and crossovers (mostly backwards)
Your motor skills are trained subconsciencely for roller. I tried roller and almost killed myself after being on ice for years. I kept stopping like I would with ice skates when trying to score or whatever.

It was brutal .... I quit it soon after about a dozen attempts to accept it.

You can do more and faster on ice and to me it felt like a roller player would switching to floor hockey in sneakers or something. Just a guess on that.

I figured that roller skates would be good for shooting practice or conditioning on a running track. It wasn;t for me.

I can say that you will be able to do more on ice skates than in roller.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 04:28 AM
  #34
Maupin Fan
Hot Air
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 473
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
Your motor skills are trained subconsciencely for roller. I tried roller and almost killed myself after being on ice for years. I kept stopping like I would with ice skates when trying to score or whatever.

It was brutal .... I quit it soon after about a dozen attempts to accept it.

You can do more and faster on ice and to me it felt like a roller player would switching to floor hockey in sneakers or something. Just a guess on that.

I figured that roller skates would be good for shooting practice or conditioning on a running track. It wasn;t for me.

I can say that you will be able to do more on ice skates than in roller.
This, for sure.

Same experience for me. Quit after two periods where I broke five out of eight wheels by leaning too much on an edge like I would on ice.

The main difference is the toe kick. Inline skates can't mimick the toe kick for stride power that ice skates do. There is a chassis called newron that are supposed to be set up to mirror the kick but Ive never tried them to know.

Maupin Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 04:42 AM
  #35
nullterm
Registered User
 
nullterm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Port Moody, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,544
vCash: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
Your motor skills are trained subconsciencely for roller. I tried roller and almost killed myself after being on ice for years. I kept stopping like I would with ice skates when trying to score or whatever.

It was brutal .... I quit it soon after about a dozen attempts to accept it.

You can do more and faster on ice and to me it felt like a roller player would switching to floor hockey in sneakers or something. Just a guess on that.

I figured that roller skates would be good for shooting practice or conditioning on a running track. It wasn;t for me.

I can say that you will be able to do more on ice skates than in roller.
^^ This right there. Night and day.

I started playing roller at first, but then really took to ice after a while. Now anytime I go back I find roller to be a very frustrating experience given that I haven't got the same ability to stop or pivot at speed. Now I only play roller casually with friends in the park. Otherwise I stick with ice.

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 01:27 PM
  #36
SabresFreak97
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Cheektovegas, NY
Posts: 488
vCash: 500
Don't know if this will help with stopping but:

When I was younger I was a pretty good skater but I could not stop. The problem that I realized was that I had very skinny ankles with next to no muscle. My Uncle told me to get into Roller hockey to strength my ankle muscles. I didn't know why but i decided to. After playing strictly Roller for a good 9 years I swtiched to ice and I found that it was much easier to stop. I still knew how to do everything but now I had the feet to have the support to stop on a dime.

Now playing roller I know that to stop its not the same. try to do that if you're in the same positions as I was.

SabresFreak97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 02:01 PM
  #37
IniNew
 
IniNew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Keller
Country: United States
Posts: 337
vCash: 500
I wouldn't say roller was the only causer of your stronger ankles. You also had 9 years to mature physically and mentally.

IniNew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 04:11 PM
  #38
Badger36
Registered User
 
Badger36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Columbus, OH
Country: United States
Posts: 2,310
vCash: 500
Switching from roller to ice should be all that difficult. You are going to find that you can corner sharper with ice because you can lean blades over sharper than you can wheels.
The big learning curve will be swith stopping, IMO. Obviously stopping is going to be a lot different but if you were a good inline skater you should be able to switch ice fairly easily.
My advice would be to go to a public skate and just experiement. Definetly get your skating down before you try hockey and definetly dont wear roller hockey pants. People are just going to make fun of you.
When it comes to equipment, you can go cheap on some stuff and be fine but I would definetly spend a little money on skates and a helmet and buy good stuff. Skates/helmet arent something you want to skimp on.

Badger36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 03:26 AM
  #39
HowToHockey
Registered User
 
HowToHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Huntsville, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 465
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobgoblin Steve View Post
Coming from inline myself, I still cant do this. I really think this is one of the hardest things to do. Just cant get it. Ive watched every youtube video, read every article, understand it in theory, understand it in my mind. Then I go to do it, and I cant

The mental barrier is the hardest to overcome. Have you tried putting on thick socks and sliding around your wood floor? Maybe that will help you with the motion. Just push and slide one way, then the next, back and forth

Then next time you are on the ice hold onto the boards and stay stationary and push one leg out, so you can get the feel of peeling ice, and using your inside edge.

Then try pushing off and sliding on one foot, just like you did at home

HowToHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 03:29 PM
  #40
Badger36
Registered User
 
Badger36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Columbus, OH
Country: United States
Posts: 2,310
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by beavboyz View Post
The mental barrier is the hardest to overcome. Have you tried putting on thick socks and sliding around your wood floor? Maybe that will help you with the motion. Just push and slide one way, then the next, back and forth

Then next time you are on the ice hold onto the boards and stay stationary and push one leg out, so you can get the feel of peeling ice, and using your inside edge.

Then try pushing off and sliding on one foot, just like you did at home
What really helped me was trying to get the feeling of a zig-zag motion.
I agree that the mental part of skating is the hardest part. Once I started to trust the ice, trust my skates and accept the fact that I was going to fall every now and then; it became much easier.

Badger36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 07:49 PM
  #41
HowToHockey
Registered User
 
HowToHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Huntsville, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 465
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBucky View Post
What really helped me was trying to get the feeling of a zig-zag motion.
I agree that the mental part of skating is the hardest part. Once I started to trust the ice, trust my skates and accept the fact that I was going to fall every now and then; it became much easier.
You must be talking about skating right? That is a good point, a lot of players try to run on the ice.

HowToHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 11:00 PM
  #42
Badger36
Registered User
 
Badger36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Columbus, OH
Country: United States
Posts: 2,310
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by beavboyz View Post
You must be talking about skating right? That is a good point, a lot of players try to run on the ice.
Yup, talking about skating. It took me about a month to get comfortable gliding.
I didnt learn to skate until I was almost 30 years old though and they say that the younger you learn the better because most kids are pretty fearless and dont worry about falling and getting hurt like adults tend to.

Badger36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 11:17 PM
  #43
quoth the Raven
Anders Lindback Fan
 
quoth the Raven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Smashville
Country: United States
Posts: 775
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBucky View Post
Yup, talking about skating. It took me about a month to get comfortable gliding.
I didnt learn to skate until I was almost 30 years old though and they say that the younger you learn the better because most kids are pretty fearless and dont worry about falling and getting hurt like adults tend to.
Precisely. Kids are resilient, they expect to fall and don't feel near the embarrassment that adults do. Not to mention the fall is much shorter and less painful. It really does make you feel bad when a 7 year old comes whizzing by you, doing backwards crossovers and hockey stopping with ease. It's frustrating and discouraging but I have to keep reminding myself that everyone was a beginner at some point in time and age shouldn't matter.

quoth the Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2010, 12:36 AM
  #44
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?
 
Splitbtw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,801
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by beavboyz View Post
The mental barrier is the hardest to overcome. Have you tried putting on thick socks and sliding around your wood floor? Maybe that will help you with the motion. Just push and slide one way, then the next, back and forth

Then next time you are on the ice hold onto the boards and stay stationary and push one leg out, so you can get the feel of peeling ice, and using your inside edge.

Then try pushing off and sliding on one foot, just like you did at home

What's happened with me is stopping in roller was hard bc I was used to watching ice hockey so much. I forgot when i was a little tyke, my mom signed me up for ice skating lessons (no order than 9 or 10) and i felt so accomplished spraying ice when i stopped. then i started roller a couple years later and would fall bc i had the same stopping motion. within the next week or so i should get fitted with skates (only then to order online) and then start attending free skates to break-in and garner some edge control. yeah... i've looked up training videos.




Quote:
Originally Posted by clevelandcrusaders82 View Post
This, for sure.

Same experience for me. Quit after two periods where I broke five out of eight wheels by leaning too much on an edge like I would on ice.

The main difference is the toe kick. Inline skates can't mimick the toe kick for stride power that ice skates do. There is a chassis called newron that are supposed to be set up to mirror the kick but Ive never tried them to know.
this makes sense to me. too many time during roller would i try to "legitimately" hockey stop and end up on the floor bc no wheels would grip hard enough.

Splitbtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2010, 12:39 AM
  #45
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?
 
Splitbtw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,801
vCash: 500
I'm also quite excited to puck-handle my first ice hockey puck on, well, ice. seeing how it is heavier, does it hold a better feel on the blade?


also, how complicated is it to get an understanding of the edges? i've watched a few youtubes, but it all seems self-explanatory. i really cannot wait to just get a feel for it.

Splitbtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2010, 04:19 PM
  #46
Badger36
Registered User
 
Badger36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Columbus, OH
Country: United States
Posts: 2,310
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreTooth3539 View Post
Precisely. Kids are resilient, they expect to fall and don't feel near the embarrassment that adults do. Not to mention the fall is much shorter and less painful. It really does make you feel bad when a 7 year old comes whizzing by you, doing backwards crossovers and hockey stopping with ease. It's frustrating and discouraging but I have to keep reminding myself that everyone was a beginner at some point in time and age shouldn't matter.
Tell me about it. Its pretty frustrating when you are just learning to skate and some little kid makes you look bad.

Badger36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2010, 04:20 PM
  #47
Badger36
Registered User
 
Badger36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Columbus, OH
Country: United States
Posts: 2,310
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitbtw View Post
also, how complicated is it to get an understanding of the edges? i've watched a few youtubes, but it all seems self-explanatory. i really cannot wait to just get a feel for it.
Its not all that complicated. You should be able to pick it up pretty quickly.

Badger36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 08:24 PM
  #48
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?
 
Splitbtw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,801
vCash: 500
went to my LHS and was fitted with bauer feeling the best. got a good deal on vapor 6's from a little ways back with heat molding and sharpening. can't wait to take them for a spin on Wednesday

Splitbtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:11 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.