HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Time to go to work

Old
03-05-2010, 09:22 AM
Clip68

vCash: 500
Time to go to work

There's a lot of debate about Wilson's job and whether he should be fired, etc, but this team has been in a sad state and NOW is the time for Wilson to go to work.

There has been pretty much 100% turnover of players in the last 2 years so this team is almost like an expansion team at this point. The guys that Wilson were barking at and trying to get motivated are no longer here.

I think it is safe to say that now that the garbage has been taken out, we now have a core of guys (Kessel, Phaneuf, Schenn, Kadri, etc.). I would imagine there isn't going to be another major overhaul coming so now it will be about adding pieces to an existing system. This is where RW comes in, he needs to establish this system. The team is already playing better defensively and on the PK.

Special teams are VERY coachable aspects of hockey and RW is known for his PK. It's widely known that the magic number for the sum of PP/PK is 100 to has success as a team. Right now, the leafs are at 88.5 which is, if I'm not mistaken, a league worst (yes worse than Edmonton at 94).

The Goals against is at 3.38, which is horrid, but again team defense will help.

So now that a core has been set, it's up to RW to create an identity for this team and show us that he is capable of teaching team defense and special teams, basically in a word, COACH. I, for one, am pulling for him and think we have the right man for the job. Too many personnel changes have been made up to now for him to have an impact on creating that "team" feel.

So Ron, time to go to work.

Clip68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 09:30 AM
dubey
The Best (per IIHF)

I agree 100%. His coaching for the rest of the season and into next year is going to be absolutely pivotal in the development of this young team. Everything he's done up to this point is irrelevant. If he has to go back to the fundamentals to get everyone on the same page going forward, so be it - now's the time.

I think we're already starting to see some improvements, what was the stat they were talking about yesterday? One goal against on the PK in the last 22 attempts or something?

Last edited by dubey: 03-05-2010 at 09:39 AM.
dubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 09:37 AM
Crispz

He totally blew the shootout tonight. WTF was Jamie Lundmark doing in the there? I mean come on the only forward that looked to have figured Thomas out was Stralberg. Stralberg scored from a semi break and beat Thomas clean blocker side.

Wilson has been over worked due to the Olympics this year and you can tell the leafs aren't spending anytime watching footage. There is noway the PK should have been this bad, a 60min video session followed by a practice would have cured this some of the issues a long time ago. Too bad wilson spent the entire year watching Olympic stuff and didn't properly prepare himself for the NHL season.

RW is treading on some VERY thin ice. If they don't come out flying next season(and I mean like 20-10!) during the first stretch I fully expect him to be gone by xmas.

Crispz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 09:40 AM
Clip68

Ya I'm not 100% on the stat for the PK, but it definitely looks better. Also, not as many stupid penalties.

I never liked Wallin, but him and Sjostrom together really bring a great presence out there defensively. I never thought I'd say this, but I think I would actually like to see Wallin re-signed. People just need to get past the fact that he is not going to score goals like in the SEL.

Old
03-05-2010, 09:44 AM
Clip68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispz View Post
He totally blew the shootout tonight. WTF was Jamie Lundmark doing in the there? I mean come on the only forward that looked to have figured Thomas out was Stralberg. Stralberg scored from a semi break and beat Thomas clean blocker side.

Wilson has been over worked due to the Olympics this year and you can tell the leafs aren't spending anytime watching footage. There is noway the PK should have been this bad, a 60min video session followed by a practice would have cured this some of the issues a long time ago. Too bad wilson spent the entire year watching Olympic stuff and didn't properly prepare himself for the NHL season.

RW is treading on some VERY thin ice. If they don't come out flying next season(and I mean like 20-10!) during the first stretch I fully expect him to be gone by xmas.
This is crazy. 20-10 would be a major overachievement. That is a winning percentage equal to what the LEAGUE LEADING Washington Capitals have right now. Don't be ridiculous.

Old
03-05-2010, 09:48 AM
Crispz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clip68 View Post
This is crazy. 20-10 would be a major overachievement. That is a winning percentage equal to what the LEAGUE LEADING Washington Capitals have right now. Don't be ridiculous.

Ok slight exaggeration

But I dont think 15-15 will cut it. I fully expect the leafs to have an above 500% record by xmas or RW can beat it.

Next seasons its playoffs or pissoff.

Old
03-05-2010, 09:53 AM
Delayed Offside

someone mentioned this last night (i think in the post game thread) that over the past year or so, so many players have come and gone that it's tough for them to gel...

i'm not saying that is the lone reason for all the issues but that must be a factor...

but the time is now for this very young team to come together and keep working hard... last night was a much better effort, this weekend with two games against good teams should be an interesting test

Delayed Offside is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 09:58 AM
Deebo
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

Lundmark was 50% in shootouts leading up to yesterdays game, a very good percentage.

Deebo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 10:11 AM
Crispz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deebo View Post
Lundmark was 50% in shootouts leading up to yesterdays game, a very good percentage.
I'll take the left handed shooter that HAS already scored thanks!

The leafs are like 1-9 in shootouts now? Thats just wrong in so many ways.

Old
03-05-2010, 10:13 AM
stoney

Quote:

It only increases the value of a guy like Kadri who clearly has a knack for it.

stoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 10:38 AM
Darylman

Lundmark's really good at shootouts. Stop complaining for complaining's sake.

Darylman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 10:41 AM
Deebo
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

And if he missed, you'd moan about him taking the shot too.

Deebo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 10:48 AM
sessiroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clip68 View Post
There's a lot of debate about Wilson's job and whether he should be fired, etc, but this team has been in a sad state and NOW is the time for Wilson to go to work.

There has been pretty much 100% turnover of players in the last 2 years so this team is almost like an expansion team at this point. The guys that Wilson were barking at and trying to get motivated are no longer here.

I think it is safe to say that now that the garbage has been taken out, we now have a core of guys (Kessel, Phaneuf, Schenn, Kadri, etc.). I would imagine there isn't going to be another major overhaul coming so now it will be about adding pieces to an existing system. This is where RW comes in, he needs to establish this system. The team is already playing better defensively and on the PK.

Special teams are VERY coachable aspects of hockey and RW is known for his PK. It's widely known that the magic number for the sum of PP/PK is 100 to has success as a team. Right now, the leafs are at 88.5 which is, if I'm not mistaken, a league worst (yes worse than Edmonton at 94).

The Goals against is at 3.38, which is horrid, but again team defense will help.

So now that a core has been set, it's up to RW to create an identity for this team and show us that he is capable of teaching team defense and special teams, basically in a word, COACH. I, for one, am pulling for him and think we have the right man for the job. Too many personnel changes have been made up to now for him to have an impact on creating that "team" feel.

So Ron, time to go to work.
ummmmm, the PK has improved drastically since we got sjostrom, and our power plays been decent since we got phaneuf so the problem lied with the players, not the system when it comes to PK/PP and all this talk about firing wilson is laughable. You expect him to win games with the marlies on offense featuring phil kessel? just look at our division alone, let alone pitts, wash, njd, phili etc etc our offense is a huge miss match.

Wait till burke gets a promising young forward when we deals kaberle, kadri and our young players to develop properly and for burke to hit the free agent market next year for us to be ready to compete.

sessiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 10:54 AM
mooseOAK*

Right on, after 3 years as an assistant and 15 seasons as an NHL head coach it is about time Ron Wilson showed Internet posters that he knows how to coach an NHL team.

Time's up.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 11:00 AM
Federko

Additionally - the Leafs really need to identify a captain. Perhaps this is Wilson's job as well. Without a captain the team will progress slower. It's all a part of the identity, and who to turn to in clutch situations... Also it would eliminate waste cases like John Mitchell from answering media questions... I don't know about some of you but I find that embarassing when Wallin or Mitchell are repping the Leafs....talk about no identity.

Federko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 11:11 AM
bobermay

I think Ron Wilson is doing the best he can, really.

I mean... he's trying to install a system into the leafs organization that the players just arn't buying into. He used a very similar system with the American team that was very sucsessful, since the whole team bought into it. Its time for the Leafs players to step it up, and play the way Ron Wilson et crew want them to play.

bobermay is offline   Reply With Quote