HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Preds vs. Kings ~~ March 04, 2010 7:00 PM

Old
03-04-2010, 11:36 PM
OpenWheel

vCash: 500
Grebeshkov just looks like an athlete to me. He can cover some ground. I'm excited about him. Hopefully the rewards outweigh the losses with his high risk style.

OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 12:09 AM
quoth the Raven
Anders Lindback Fan

Good showing by the Predators! I thought our whole team played well tonight. Pekka was great in goal, those two that got by him were pretty impossible to stop. I'm surprised he held them off as long as he did with that first goal, it was like a constant repeat until someone scored. Then with only three players out there, it's hard to defend against the second goal. Anyway, our defense was on top of the other guys, staying on them and deflecting a bunch of shots away from the net. I was also pleased with our scorers tonight, we got Goc, Dumont, Smithson, and Arnott on the board, a nice variety of some of our veteran players. Great game, we're 2 for 2 since the break and on a 3 game winning streak. Let's keep it up!

As an aside, I was reading through the GDT in the Kings' forum on HF and those fans are pretty brutal. "**** Nashville," "I hate Nashville," "I want to punch Tootoo in the throat," etc. Personally I find that unnecessary, but maybe that's just me. Oh and it's always that the refs helped us out, right? It's not that we could have possibly played a good game.

quoth the Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 12:33 AM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreTooth3539 View Post
As an aside, I was reading through the GDT in the Kings' forum on HF and those fans are pretty brutal. "**** Nashville," "I hate Nashville," "I want to punch Tootoo in the throat," etc. Personally I find that unnecessary, but maybe that's just me. Oh and it's always that the refs helped us out, right? It's not that we could have possibly played a good game.
It's nice to read those comments actually. They aren't bashing our fan base, nor our city...rather they hate to play against Nashville because when we're on our game like tonight...we're a pain in the butt to play against.

We don't allow teams to play their game and we grind and grind and grind till the buzzer sounds and we've beaten them. This is playoff style hockey...I like the way our team is built and the way they are playing...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 01:09 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

much better effort tonight, than what I saw out of the boys Tuesday night against the Oilers

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 01:30 AM
ZombPred
ALLeyeDOizWHEN!

Unfortunately I did not get to see the game. I had to go work, Dangit. But an awesome win! Go Preds!
Posted via Mobile Device

ZombPred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 03:05 AM
Shellz

Quote:
You should take it as a compliment to the team. The team is always tough for the Kings to play against. Just like when the Kings play against Vancouver. It's ridiculous, haha. Don't take it to heart. We just get aggravated this team just looks like poop sometimes like any other fan base.

Shellz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 03:27 AM
ZombPred
ALLeyeDOizWHEN!

Quote:
"I want to punch Tootoo in the throat,":
We all know in reality how that would turn out. If Tootoo ever got punched in the throat, he would rip the other dudes throat out. Wow, its late. Haha
Posted via Mobile Device

ZombPred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 07:39 AM
David Singleton
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
It's nice to read those comments actually. They aren't bashing our fan base, nor our city...rather they hate to play against Nashville because when we're on our game like tonight...we're a pain in the butt to play against.

We don't allow teams to play their game and we grind and grind and grind till the buzzer sounds and we've beaten them. This is playoff style hockey...I like the way our team is built and the way they are playing...
I agree on both counts.

I really like the way this team is playing. I will admit to nearly coming out of my seat when Arnott made that pass to the King occupying the slot in our defensive zone.

David Singleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 08:56 AM
hatedandproud

A highlight for me was Sully playing keep away on the penalty kill, got a good laugh out of that.

hatedandproud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 10:14 AM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenWheel View Post
We open up with O'Reilly, Wilson, Dumont, Hamhuis and Klein on the PP. WTH sort of unit is that?
Just so you know, Weber was not on the bench at the start of that PP. He was in the dressing room getting something done and then came out later on that PP.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 10:18 AM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

Quote:
Its nothing personal. I like Nashville and hope they do well, but when we play you, my god I hate you purely because of the fact we can't beat you ever. The consensus on the kings thread aswell isnt that we were screwed by the refs, its more that yes the refs were brutal against us (tootoo skating across the ice to go after greene and 4 on 4 hockey coming out of it for one), but more importantly the kings played dreadful defensively and the Nashville offense just ran all over us. Nashville played well enough to score probably 7 goals against us, Quick/the post bailed us out a ton even if 2 of hte goals were due to poor puck handling by Quick

Muzzinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 11:25 AM
predfan24

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw1tch View Post
Its nothing personal. I like Nashville and hope they do well, but when we play you, my god I hate you purely because of the fact we can't beat you ever. The consensus on the kings thread aswell isnt that we were screwed by the refs, its more that yes the refs were brutal against us (tootoo skating across the ice to go after greene and 4 on 4 hockey coming out of it for one), but more importantly the kings played dreadful defensively and the Nashville offense just ran all over us. Nashville played well enough to score probably 7 goals against us, Quick/the post bailed us out a ton even if 2 of hte goals were due to poor puck handling by Quick
I know the LA announcers were making a big deal about that but you can't call instigator on roughing penalties. So really that's a non issue and can't be complained about. Anyways, if Toots hit one of your skilled guys like that someone would defend him and I doubt they would get called instigator for it. Even if they left their position to challenge the guy.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 11:47 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post
I know the LA announcers were making a big deal about that but you can't call instigator on roughing penalties. So really that's a non issue and can't be complained about. Anyways, if Toots hit one of your skilled guys like that someone would defend him and I doubt they would get called instigator for it. Even if they left their position to challenge the guy.
Even the Kings replay showed that Toots was on that side of the ice at the time of the hit ... wheeled towards center ice and then back to Greene. My only problem with Toots wanting to fight on that hit is that it was a clean (though hard) hit. Clean, hard hits used to be an accepted part of the game ... dirty and questionable hits led to fights. Now, any hit on on a "skill" player leads to a cry for a fight from the crowd.

One thing I will give the LA broadcast team credit for is they actually showed, and admitted to, each LA penalty.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 01:34 PM
quoth the Raven
Anders Lindback Fan

Quote:

I can understand not wanting to play against us when we're on our game, especially when we're considered the weaker team and it should have been a easy win for them. I was more offended by the "**** Nashville" comment that came even before the game started, but it's not that big of a deal. I suppose it is nice to read that, and you're right, they weren't bashing our fans or city...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelle121 View Post
You should take it as a compliment to the team. The team is always tough for the Kings to play against. Just like when the Kings play against Vancouver. It's ridiculous, haha. Don't take it to heart. We just get aggravated this team just looks like poop sometimes like any other fan base.
Thanks for this. I will take it as a compliment! I can definitely understand being aggravated, when our team was on that losing streak, I wanted to throttle some of our players.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sw1tch View Post
Thank you as well. Again, I get the frustration. I appreciate you guys coming in here and explaining!

quoth the Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 01:54 PM
fielding

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
Even the Kings replay showed that Toots was on that side of the ice at the time of the hit ... wheeled towards center ice and then back to Greene. My only problem with Toots wanting to fight on that hit is that it was a clean (though hard) hit. Clean, hard hits used to be an accepted part of the game ... dirty and questionable hits led to fights. Now, any hit on on a "skill" player leads to a cry for a fight from the crowd.

One thing I will give the LA broadcast team credit for is they actually showed, and admitted to, each LA penalty.
I disagree. You gotta let a team know that if they are going to hit one of your important players, they are gonna have to answer for it, clean hit or not. Injuries can still happen on clean hits and the fewer hits your key players take, the better off your team is.

fielding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 02:18 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by fielding View Post
I disagree. You gotta let a team know that if they are going to hit one of your important players, they are gonna have to answer for it, clean hit or not. Injuries can still happen on clean hits and the fewer hits your key players take, the better off your team is.
So the accepted standard now is throw a clean, hard hit ... get punched? Got it. Bye-bye Hamhuis hip check unless he's ready for a few more roughing calls. Weber should expect to get in a fight after every check.

Wilson took his hit, got up, looked at Greene, got his butt back in the play. Tootoo skated around for ten - fifteen seconds, then didn't even get in a real fight over it. In the end, the Kings didn't pay for it ... we did ... taking a penalty on the resulting 4 on 4 that led to their goal.

Old
03-05-2010, 02:46 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
So the accepted standard now is throw a clean, hard hit ... get punched? Got it. Bye-bye Hamhuis hip check unless he's ready for a few more roughing calls. Weber should expect to get in a fight after every check.

Wilson took his hit, got up, looked at Greene, got his butt back in the play. Tootoo skated around for ten - fifteen seconds, then didn't even get in a real fight over it. In the end, the Kings didn't pay for it ... we did ... taking a penalty on the resulting 4 on 4 that led to their goal.
Gretzky actually started this trend in the early 80's carrying around Semenko and McSorely as his wingers to open up space and send a perfectly clear message that if you bumped TGO you were gonna get KO'd.

It's admittedly gone to extremes in recent years though like last season when Belak caught Perron with his head down and went way out of his way to twist and contort himself to hit Perron shoulder to shoulder then immediately have to fight Janssen.

Hockey is a full contact game, but there are limits and players largely police themselves. While it admittedly lead to a 4 on 4 situation, then a 4 on 3 goal...Tootoo perceived an issue with the way Wilson was hit and stuck up for him. I guarantee Wilson learned his lesson from that and thanked Tootoo for sticking up for him. It's good for a rookie to know his teammates accept him and have his back...

Old
03-05-2010, 03:03 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Gretzky actually started this trend in the early 80's carrying around Semenko and McSorely as his wingers to open up space and send a perfectly clear message that if you bumped TGO you were gonna get KO'd.

It's admittedly gone to extremes in recent years though like last season when Belak caught Perron with his head down and went way out of his way to twist and contort himself to hit Perron shoulder to shoulder then immediately have to fight Janssen.

Hockey is a full contact game, but there are limits and players largely police themselves. While it admittedly lead to a 4 on 4 situation, then a 4 on 3 goal...Tootoo perceived an issue with the way Wilson was hit and stuck up for him. I guarantee Wilson learned his lesson from that and thanked Tootoo for sticking up for him. It's good for a rookie to know his teammates accept him and have his back...
Wilson's three fights as an Admiral demonstrate that he is capable of sticking up for himself if the thinks it was a borderline or dirty hit.

If this was a hit worthy of Tootoo jumping Greene, then why did it take around 15 seconds for Toots to address him? He was on that side of the ice the entire time. After replaying it, I'm thinking less and less that it was an overreaction to the hit and more of a decision by Toots to try to get a fight going using the hit as an excuse. He didn't rush over ... just looped around slowly, then took his time heading out to Greene at the point.

This wasn't a hit that required a confrontation afterwards. It was a clean hit just like the ones we love to see Weber deliver.

Old
03-05-2010, 03:14 PM
Preds Partisan
Nothing

Quote:
Tootoo perceived an issue with the way Wilson was hit and stuck up for him. I guarantee Wilson learned his lesson from that and thanked Tootoo for sticking up for him. It's good for a rookie to know his teammates accept him and have his back...
Yeah, the way I saw it, it was a totally clean hit. I was giving Tootoo the benefit of the doubt that he saw something else I didn't when he skated over, but after replay there wasn't anything dirty. I would have been fine with Tootoo giving a face wash, big check or whatever IF the chance came up.

On the one hand I agree with you and I'm glad Tootoo stuck up for Wilson who is a rookie and probably could have used that reassurance that somebody has his back. On the other hand, the Kings were bouncing around a rookie. That's what happens.

Overall this is number eleven on my top ten list of discussion points from last night.

Preds Partisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 03:43 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Wilson's three fights as an Admiral demonstrate that he is capable of sticking up for himself if the thinks it was a borderline or dirty hit.

If this was a hit worthy of Tootoo jumping Greene, then why did it take around 15 seconds for Toots to address him? He was on that side of the ice the entire time. After replaying it, I'm thinking less and less that it was an overreaction to the hit and more of a decision by Toots to try to get a fight going using the hit as an excuse. He didn't rush over ... just looped around slowly, then took his time heading out to Greene at the point.

This wasn't a hit that required a confrontation afterwards. It was a clean hit just like the ones we love to see Weber deliver.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preds Partisan View Post
Yeah, the way I saw it, it was a totally clean hit. I was giving Tootoo the benefit of the doubt that he saw something else I didn't when he skated over, but after replay there wasn't anything dirty. I would have been fine with Tootoo giving a face wash, big check or whatever IF the chance came up.

On the one hand I agree with you and I'm glad Tootoo stuck up for Wilson who is a rookie and probably could have used that reassurance that somebody has his back. On the other hand, the Kings were bouncing around a rookie. That's what happens.

Overall this is number eleven on my top ten list of discussion points from last night.
I'll admit, I didn't see a replay of the hit last night, nor did I really see a replay of what Tootoo did either...

Ultimately in this situation I think you're damned if you do and damned if you don't...had no one stuck up for Wilson last night I'm sure we'd see at least one poster complaining that there is a lack of team toughness, but since Tootoo did do something...no he is overzealous...

I don't know what the answer is...last night I had little problem with the way San Jose dealt with Lapierre after he boarded Nichol. They didn't "get him", but they used it as a rallying point and turned around a 2-1 deficit into a 3-2 victory and will let the league handle Lapierre since he turtles anyways...

Old
03-05-2010, 04:23 PM
glenngineer

I have to disagree with the cleanliness of the hit on Wilson by Greene. I watched the replay a few times and there was a high elbow to the head and he left his feet. Always hard to tell but the fact that someone stood up for someone else on this team was a good thing.

Not sure I agree it was a bad penalty to take. We took one of their guys with us so 4 on 4 or 5 on 5 is fine by me. If Toots was the only one that goes then it's a bad penalty.

Old
03-05-2010, 04:35 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
I have to disagree with the cleanliness of the hit on Wilson by Greene. I watched the replay a few times and there was a high elbow to the head and he left his feet. Always hard to tell but the fact that someone stood up for someone else on this team was a good thing.

Not sure I agree it was a bad penalty to take. We took one of their guys with us so 4 on 4 or 5 on 5 is fine by me. If Toots was the only one that goes then it's a bad penalty.

Just watched the play again frame by frame in HD (thanks LA broadcasters. please teach FSN-TN how to do more games in HD) ... gotta disagree with you. Feet don't come up until well after contact and it is shoulder to shoulder. Green's right arm ends up under Wilson's ... even with Wilson's head way down looking for the puck at his feet.

The telling thing is that Tootoo watches the hit, then waits about 13-14 seconds of game time to do anything about it. Actually skates away from Greene just after the hit that happened directly in his field of vision. Hmmmmm ... such a dirty play that Tootoo has to do something, but he waits? Rather uncharacteristic.

Old
03-05-2010, 04:47 PM
glenngineer

101, ok. LOL. We really need lives....lol.

Old
03-05-2010, 04:51 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
101, ok. LOL. We really need lives....lol.
Then who would dissect the minutiae of a single hit in a Preds game?

Old
03-05-2010, 04:53 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
Then who would dissect the minutiae of a single hit in a Preds game?
Someone else other than us saving us the very few brain cells we have left?