HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Rink size - IIHF vs NHL

Old
03-04-2010, 04:31 PM
NMF78

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakzed View Post
I for one prefer the bigger ice surface. I'm not into the physicality of the sport as much as the poster above me. We value different aspects of the game differently. The smaller ice surface is a faster game and you can trap with the big ice as well. But I think the bigger ice surface is a more tactical game and allows the more technically superior players the room and thus the ability to utilize their skill more. I think it's a more skilled game and I do prefer it.
I agree.

NMF78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 05:27 PM
wirelessflyingcord
An Oxymoron

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandV View Post
Now that I think about it I kind of wonder the history behind each standard.
Me too. Someone enlighten us.

wirelessflyingcord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 05:51 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberian View Post
Moving to the smaller ice will take away a lot from European hockey as far as development of the young talents go. That is the only advantage Europe has over North America. If Europe will start develoing their youngsters on small ice then all advantage is gone and Canada with USA will dominate by sheer quantity of players.
On the other hand European defensemen will be more NHL ready because they will be more familiar with stronger forechecking.

Jussi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 06:02 PM
wirelessflyingcord
An Oxymoron

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtr3m View Post
Sochi might be NHL size. They're really split right now. Olympic directors really liked the intensity of NHL ice.
Yup:
Quote:
Regarding small ice for next Olympics, yes, it could happen. IIHF president Rene Fasel told me as much last week. He favors the small ice; thinks it makes for a better game; and he has the support of, among others, the influential Russian ex-player Igor Larionov. The Olympic review is scheduled for August; it's at least 50-50 that they'll go to small ice for Sochi.
http://www.ctvolympics.ca/hockey/new...y+with+experts

wirelessflyingcord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 09:30 PM
Canucker1958

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei Makarov View Post
I find hockey in NHL rinks boring as hell: players are less skilled, poor skaters, only average stickhandlers and spend all time fighting in the boards for the puck. In a small rink, coaching is not very important. It's painful to see the poor tactics systems and the lack of techinal knowledge of the majority of the NHL teams.
Yet Canada has won 1/2 the gold medals since the Olympics went best on best. Who'da thunk?

Canucker1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 01:42 AM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Justice View Post
Me too. Someone enlighten us.
With a quick look through wikipedia you can see the origins of North American ice, with the Victoria Skating Rink being the first indoor ice rink in history, opening in 1862, and hosting it's first hockey game in 1875. It's measurements were 62mx24m, setting the North American standard which was adjusted a little to 61mx26m.

I'm guessing in Europe the first indoor rink was built somewhere in Russia or one of the Scandinvian countries, with knowledge of an indoor rink being built across the ocean but little concern or reason to match the dimensions. So the difference in size was probably more or less coincidental. What would be more interesting would be the process in which the size became the 'international' standard.

RandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 01:50 AM
RyanMac

Send a message via AIM to RyanMac Send a message via MSN to RyanMac
Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckshockeyfan View Post
Yet Canada has won 1/2 the gold medals since the Olympics went best on best. Who'da thunk?
And would've been 3/4 if not for Hasek being such a god.

RyanMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 02:35 AM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandV View Post
With a quick look through wikipedia you can see the origins of North American ice, with the Victoria Skating Rink being the first indoor ice rink in history, opening in 1862, and hosting it's first hockey game in 1875. It's measurements were 62mx24m, setting the North American standard which was adjusted a little to 61mx26m.
No, it measured 204x 80 feet and it was changed to the nice pretty round numbers of 200 x85. The metric system wasn't widely used then, and the meter numbers are not exact for that reason. Rinks were originally defined in terms of feet, Euro ice is 200x 100 feet, a decision that probably had to do with the ease and roundness of the numbers and ratio.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 09:51 AM
BlackAces*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan MacLeod View Post
and 4/5 if not for Forsberg being so clutch

BlackAces* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 10:29 AM
P-M Bouchard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei Makarov View Post
I find hockey in NHL rinks boring as hell: players are less skilled, poor skaters, only average stickhandlers and spend all time fighting in the boards for the puck. In a small rink, coaching is not very important. It's painful to see the poor tactics systems
So true.

P-M Bouchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 12:03 PM
jakzed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan MacLeod View Post
I would rewatch that game if I were you if you think that the Czech's won only because of Hasek. Certainly stood on his head in Overtime and the last 5 minutes or so, but in the first two periods, the Czechs carried the play. Watch it if you don't believe me.

jakzed is offline   Reply With Quote