HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Unofficially Retired Numbers

Old
03-05-2010, 02:34 PM
Wheatking

vCash: 500
Unofficially Retired Numbers

Yes, this is another semi-related Taylor Hall thread. I bring it up because he wears #4 and as we all know that was Kevin Lowe's number. No one has worn it since. Is this a coincidence? Have we just never brought in a player that wore #4 for his previous team?

Another number is #39. Doug Weight was a great Oiler for many years and when we signed Comrie there was talk that he would wear #39 because that was his number in college. He went as far to call Weight and ask him if it was okay. Weight said yes but the Oilers gave him #91.

Last season Potulny wore #21 which was Jason Smith's number for 9 years. This season he's #16.

So I have two questions.

1. Do you agree with unofficially retiring players numbers? Would it irritate you if someone wore #94?

2. Do you think Hall should be forced to give up #4 because it was Lowe's number?

...and I guess 3. Am I just looking way to into this and it's all just a big coincidence?

Wheatking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 02:39 PM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

vCash: 50
I guess if Lowe's okay with it, then so am I. Maybe they give him the karmic number 44.

Seedling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 02:41 PM
Juice

Potulny is 16 because Svensson is 21

Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 02:44 PM
jsho

Um #3 no question. And why are we planning Taylor Halls number when we are 4 months away from having any idea if he will even be part of this organization?

jsho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 02:51 PM
mikemc89

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVF is for losers View Post
Potulny is 16 because Svensson is 21
... no.

mikemc89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 02:52 PM
RKD

I'm guessing Potulny switched to 16 because he prefers that number. Last season Kotalik wore 21 when Potulny wasn't up, so I'm guessing there's no issue there.

I do wonder if 4 will ever be worn again. Taylor Chorney wore 4 in college and in the AHL, but wears 41 here.

03-05-2010, 02:53 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 182
I could have sworn that in one of the pre-season games I saw an oiler wearing 39

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 03:07 PM
Wheatking

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsho View Post
Um #3 no question. And why are we planning Taylor Halls number when we are 4 months away from having any idea if he will even be part of this organization?
No one is "planning Hall's number". It's just something to talk about. I guess I could change things up and make another thread pointing out how much the Oilers suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
I could have sworn that in one of the pre-season games I saw an oiler wearing 39
Did he have a legit shot at making the team though? Maybe it's just me but I can't see another Oiler ever wearing #39. Weight is probably the best player we've had since Messier and Anderson left. That's what? 18 or 19 seasons ago?

Old
03-05-2010, 03:13 PM
smokersarejokers

#23 Cory Cross
#55 Igor Ulanov

smokersarejokers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 03:15 PM
smokersarejokers

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
I think that was minard.

smokersarejokers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 03:16 PM
millax

vCash: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokersarejokers View Post
#23 Cory Cross
#55 Igor Ulanov
Hear hear.

Never again shall those hallowed number be worn.

millax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 03:17 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 50
The only reason Comrie didn't change his number was because he played very well with 91 in pre-season, so I thought. I could've sworn he took 91 because he didn't ask Weight yet and then once he had the green light he was doing too good so he didn't change.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 03:19 PM
jsho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatking View Post
No one is "planning Hall's number". It's just something to talk about. I guess I could change things up and make another thread pointing out how much the Oilers suck
Umm, your avatar kind of says otherwise? No, but I think we could use some more, draft Hall or Seguin threads. Could probably go for some lets draft them both comments as well.

Old
03-05-2010, 03:22 PM
Wheatking

Quote:
Umm, your avatar kind of says otherwise? No, but I think we could use some more, draft Hall or Seguin threads. Could probably go for some lets draft them both comments as well.
I don't see what my avatar has to do with anything. His number #4 right now so that's what I used...it looks better than just leaving it blank. Simple as that.

Old
03-05-2010, 03:33 PM
jsho

Quote:
No one is "planning Hall's number".
Quote:

2. Do you think Hall should be forced to give up #4 because it was Lowe's number?

Honestly?

Old
03-05-2010, 03:35 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Quote:
I have a feeling that a lot of people here will not be able to differentiate between Lowe the player and Lowe the GM and will therefore say "Yeah, screw Kevin Lowe, he ruined us, he doesn't deserve to have his number go unused".

However, Lowe's number has not been in use because he was a member of the Oilers coaching or management staff. Nothing has changed about the great years he gave the Oilers, so I think that it would be an appropriate gesture to continue avoiding handing out his number. I would say the same thing about #39 and #94.

03-05-2010, 03:38 PM
OntOilFan

Lowe has disgraced himself. Hall should be encouraged to wear #4 and write a new legacy with it.

OntOilFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 03:40 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Did he have a legit shot at making the team though? Maybe it's just me but I can't see another Oiler ever wearing #39. Weight is probably the best player we've had since Messier and Anderson left. That's what? 18 or 19 seasons ago?
Indeed. Smyth and Weight are easily the most important Oilers in a generation (though the 'best' performance the Oilers have got from a player since Messier is easily FCP, Weight and Smyth are far more important).

thome_26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 03:57 PM
Wheatking

Quote:
Honestly?
It's not like I'm asking which number I should get on my Hall jersey.

I'm asking how important is honoring great players that have worn an Oiler jersey. I'm asking if you would care if Hall wore #4. Like I just said, it's as simple as that and if you have a issue then feel free to not read the thread anymore. I don't feel like arguing over something that isn't even on topic.

Old
03-05-2010, 04:03 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by OntOilFan View Post
Lowe has disgraced himself. Hall should be encouraged to wear #4 and write a new legacy with it.
You are exactly the kind of over-emotional individual I was speaking of earlier. How has he done anything to diminish what he accomplished for this organization as a player?

What bothers me is that there maybe an argument some could try and make that Lowe was not important enough/good enough to deserve having his number retired (I don't particularly agree with that opinion). But you don't even make that argument. You're mad about his decisions as a GM.

Some think Gretzky was a ****** coach. Should the NHL un-retire #99? Don't be so daft.

thome_26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Alex87

Quote:
Honestly?
Is it really that big of a deal to you?

I think 94 is an interesting one. It's not that common of a number to begin with, but around the 2012 draft you might get a lot of 1994 born players interested in wearing it so it could become an issue. Personally, no number should be untouchable unless it has a "retirement in waiting" status, similar to Glenn Anderson's 9 and Messier's 11, which were for several years untouchable (and arguably, Lowe's #4 is now).

Alex87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
John Hancock

I don't have a problem with unofficially retiring numbers. It's better than officially retiring them, in a lot of ways. This way, 20 years from now someone can wear Lowe's number again, even if, right now, it's frowned upon. It's a good way to honor the special players in more recent memory, but still leave the number open for future generations.

-JH.

John Hancock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 04:16 PM
jsho

Quote:
It's not like I'm asking which number I should get on my Hall jersey.

I'm asking how important is honoring great players that have worn an Oiler jersey. I'm asking if you would care if Hall wore #4. Like I just said, it's as simple as that and if you have a issue then feel free to not read the thread anymore. I don't feel like arguing over something that isn't even on topic.
No I get what your saying. Its just your were saying it as if he was already guaranteed to be on this team, which a lot of fans seem to be doing now. But no I dont wont to get in an arguement.

I think the players make the decision before the ask for a number. If they wanted 4, 39, 94 they would get it. But mostly every player will have known who wore it so stay away from it.