HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Offer Sheet Bobby Ryan

Old
03-05-2010, 11:29 PM
asparkoflife

vCash: 500
Offer Sheet Bobby Ryan

Im not sure if we can. But I would if we can.

asparkoflife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 11:34 PM
Ian
Mike York fan club

Nearly pointless to do unless Sather offered an absurd amount. Anaheim will be nowhere near the cap ceiling and would most likely match anything.

The real offer-sheet target should be Nik Backstrom.

Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 11:35 PM
TomLaidlaw

Sather doesn't do offer sheets. He is part of the old guard where there is an unwritten rule about staying away from teams RFA's. Is this logical or smart? Who knows.

If we were to offer sheet someone I'd give one to Backstrom before Ryan.

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 11:40 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Backstrom would be a ****ing retard to leave Ovechkin.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 11:49 PM
OverTheCap

I love Ryan but would definitely prioritize going after Backstrom. He's a legit first line center, and I don't think it's because he's playing with Ovechkin. I thought Backstrom was one of the best players on Team Sweden.

I doubt Glen would extend an offer sheet to another team's RFA, but you often have to overpay so the other team can't match. The Sabres are now forced to pay Vanek $7 million because they had to match Edmonton's offer sheet. Is it worth it to overpay Backstrom or Ryan if we can somehow clear the space for them? I know either of them will do a better job of living up to their contract than Drury or Redden, but I'm just so sick and tired of these huge contracts where the players are getting paid about $2-3 million more than they should be.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 11:50 PM
FOXHOUND*

I'm all for this if we can't get Kovalchuk

FOXHOUND* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 12:08 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

I'm leery about offer sheets.

Revenge is a *****...

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 12:16 AM
ogie

Last time i checked you had to give up picks if the other team didn't match the offer. For Ryan i think the lowest price range that it would take for the Ducks to not match would be. The $4,520,151 to $6,026,867 range. Which would mean the Rangers give up three picks. A First, second, and third-round pick in the 2011 draft.

That seems like a lot of potential picks to give up. And a lot of money that could be spent on a UFA.

ogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 12:32 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
I love Ryan but would definitely prioritize going after Backstrom. He's a legit first line center, and I don't think it's because he's playing with Ovechkin. I thought Backstrom was one of the best players on Team Sweden.

I doubt Glen would extend an offer sheet to another team's RFA, but you often have to overpay so the other team can't match. The Sabres are now forced to pay Vanek $7 million because they had to match Edmonton's offer sheet. Is it worth it to overpay Backstrom or Ryan if we can somehow clear the space for them? I know either of them will do a better job of living up to their contract than Drury or Redden, but I'm just so sick and tired of these huge contracts where the players are getting paid about $2-3 million more than they should be.
No doubt Backstrom doesn't need Ovechkin to be great. He's a hell of a player. Doesn't mean that leaving Ovechkin would be a smart move for him. Doubt the Caps would let him go, either.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 12:47 AM
Dr. Ogrodnick

vCash: 661
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post

Did you say overpay? Glenn's ears just perked up.

Dr. Ogrodnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 01:00 AM
TheHotRock

proposal: create a time machine, gun it to 1985, bring gretzky back and sign him to a 10 year deal with a 2.1 mil cap hit

TheHotRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 01:21 AM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
The real offer-sheet target should be Nik Backstrom.
Caps have much more capspace than us for next season at this point in time. They'll be able to match any offer we realistically can give.

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 01:26 AM
Dr. Ogrodnick

vCash: 661
You also have to consider that if the Rangers poach an RFA this upcoming offseason, they will be very vulnerable in the summer of 2011. They have Anisimov, Dubinsky, Callahan, Gilroy, Boyle, Sanguinetti, and Chad Johnson as RFAs, with Voros as the only UFA coming off of the books. Easy pickings for a team that wants revenge.

Dr. Ogrodnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 01:28 AM
Rust Heisenberg

vCash: 50
i like the idea of ryan. i dont really like the idea of backstrom.

ryan seems to be able to create more. backstrom seems to be made better by ovechkin. if he were to leave id feel like he'd be ordinary.

Rust Heisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 01:36 AM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Ogrodnick View Post
You also have to consider that if the Rangers poach an RFA this upcoming offseason, they will be very vulnerable in the summer of 2011. They have Anisimov, Dubinsky, Callahan, Gilroy, Boyle, Sanguinetti, and Chad Johnson as RFAs, with Voros as the only UFA coming off of the books. Easy pickings for a team that wants revenge.
True.

Which is precisely why you do not see, nor will you see, signficant RFA signings in the NHL. You have your token signing or two each summer, so owners cannot be charged with collusion. But otherwise, signing RFAs is HF pipedream talk.

As a fan of the league, I'm thankful it does not take place. There is already enough annual roster upheaval in this league without having kiddies leaving teams in their early 20s.

Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 01:39 AM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

we traded our 3rd for Boyle didn't we?

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 01:47 AM
Ian
Mike York fan club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shat Scar View Post
Caps have much more capspace than us for next season at this point in time. They'll be able to match any offer we realistically can give.
They also have about seven NHL quality forwards signed, and have roughly 19~ mil to have the rest of that filled out, as well as a backup goalie and probably one more defensemen. Balance that with Semin being a UFA in 11/12, Varlamov being an RFA the same year, and the majority of their young guys RFA'ing as well that season (Carlson/Alzner/etc).

Would be much easier to manage from the Rangers standpoint. Obviously everything would have to start with a Redden trade/demotion, but it's slightly possible.

The idea that teams would purposely target other team's RFA's if they threw out offer sheets is such conjecture. Where's the retaliation for the Vanek deal?

The real reason is rarely happens is because the player actually has to sign it, and it's backfired more often then worked thus far.

Old
03-06-2010, 01:50 AM
Ian
Mike York fan club

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
Yeah, but you can acquire one and it replaces yours though.

Old
03-06-2010, 02:02 AM
DasWunderkind

The New York Rangers are one of the most frustrating hockey clubs to watch. I don't know how you fans feel, but it seems like the identity of the Rangers is disappearing. For years, the club has been the most randomly constructed team; there's no structure, no backbone. Simply put, this organization needs to focus on cultivating their own garden.

DasWunderkind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 02:07 AM
jniklast

Quote:
No you can't. It has to be your own picks. But maybe the Kings will be very cooperative knowing that the target will be their rival

jniklast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 02:16 AM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
The real reason is rarely happens is because the player actually has to sign it, and it's backfired more often then worked thus far.
Plus the draft pick costs for big contracts given to RFAs are pretty steep.

we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 02:21 AM
rmcg11

with the rangers always being so close to the cap throwing out offer sheets is gonna bite us in the ass with a vindictive offer sheet to a player like stepan if he reaches his full potential so id rather stay away personally especially considering west coast teams tend to make better trade partners and don't want to piss off their gm

rmcg11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 03:35 AM
AJRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Ogrodnick View Post
And therein lies the problem. I'd love Ryan, but it's not happening.

AJRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 06:17 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
You can only use your own draft picks, not picks acquired from another team. But any offer sheet we were to give out this offseason would cost us 2011 picks, not 2010. The 2010 draft would already be passed.

So we have the picks to do an offer sheet, but it's a bad idea for the reasons everyone else mentioned.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 07:02 AM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
The picks that count if you send and offer sheet to an RFA are for the 2011 draft. The Boyle pick is a 3rd in 2010.

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote