HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The last 20 games

Old
03-02-2010, 04:39 AM
RainbowDash
20% Cooler

vCash: 500
Ask and you shall receive.

http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHL/Western.html

RainbowDash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 08:09 AM
coooldude

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniversalRemonster View Post
Yes. So awesome. I go to sportsclubstats probably as much as I go to hfboards these days.

coooldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 02:14 PM
halfeze13

Quote:
whoa thats a lot of #s. but i didnt see a magic number. according to my calculations... 21 points to clinch a playoff spot. meaning if detroit or dallas win out, the worst we could do and still make the playoffs is 10-9-1.

32 points to clinch division. meaning if LA wins out we would need to go 12-0-8, 13-1-6, 14-2-4, 15-3-2, 16-4

Last edited by halfeze13: 03-02-2010 at 02:54 PM.
halfeze13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 02:22 PM
royale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickety Cricket View Post
I was looking at the Sharks' schedule and it looks pretty rough. 20 games in 40 days and after March 14th it'll be 15 games in 28 days. This includes:

An even split of road/home games
3 sets of back-to-backs
3 games against the Stars
10 games against NW Division teams
They should have that first game of the big roadie in the bag since us Socal fans will be out there making it a home game for them!

royale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 03:02 PM
RainbowDash
20% Cooler

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfeze13 View Post
whoa thats a lot of #s. but i didnt see a magic number. according to my calculations... 11 games to clinch a playoff spot
No, thats too much.

Look at what I provided.

Even in the worst case that the Sharks go 0-20-0, they could still make 8th seed.

The chances of them seeding anywhere between 9-15 is less then 1% combined

The magic number to clinch a playoff spot is really dependent upon other teams. They can clinch a spot for sure with ~4 wins. Infact, 5 may be the the magic number. Which makes perfect sense since the estimated 8th seed in the western conference is projected to have roughly 96 points.

Old
03-02-2010, 03:28 PM
halfeze13

just as reference (NOT comparing)... last year in our final 20 games we went 11-7-2. however to match last years overall record we would need to go 13-5-2. our projected total is 118 going 13-4-3

didnt realize we are on pace to surpass last years' franchise (and presidents trophy) record in total points

Old
03-02-2010, 03:34 PM
halfeze13

Quote:
No, thats too much.

Look at what I provided.

Even in the worst case that the Sharks go 0-20-0, they could still make 8th seed.

The chances of them seeding anywhere between 9-15 is less then 1% combined

The magic number to clinch a playoff spot is really dependent upon other teams. They can clinch a spot for sure with ~4 wins. Infact, 5 may be the the magic number. Which makes perfect sense since the estimated 8th seed in the western conference is projected to have roughly 96 points.
i updated my estimate.
i realized calculating games was too complicated. so i did points. so the 21 points i estimated goes down 1-2 points every time we win or they lose

Old
03-02-2010, 03:53 PM
RainbowDash
20% Cooler

Quote:
i updated my estimate.
i realized calculating games was too complicated. so i did points. so the 21 points i estimated goes down 1-2 points every time we win or they lose
Thats still too much.

We're still talking about clinching a playoff spot, right?

Right now they have 89 points. Are you estimating that the 8th seed must have 110 points?

Thats really high. Thats anywhere between 2nd to 5th seed point final estimates.

The estimate for 8th seed is ~96 points. Thats 3-0-1 away for the Sharks.

Old
03-02-2010, 04:15 PM
halfeze13

Quote:
Thats still too much.

We're still talking about clinching a playoff spot, right?

Right now they have 89 points. Are you estimating that the 8th seed must have 110 points?

Thats really high. Thats anywhere between 2nd to 5th seed point final estimates.

The estimate for 8th seed is ~96 points. Thats 3-0-1 away for the Sharks.
to clinch a playoff spot, that means no other team can mathematically get into the playoffs. so however unlikely... it is still possible for the 8th spot to get 110 points if they go 20-0. more realistically you are right.

Old
03-02-2010, 07:08 PM
Sleepy

Quote:
to clinch a playoff spot, that means no other team can mathematically get into the playoffs. so however unlikely... it is still possible for the 8th spot to get 110 points if they go 20-0. more realistically you are right.
You assume teams #2-#8 never play each other...

Sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 08:22 PM
halfeze13

no. i just readjust the number for whoever the 8th seed is. it makes sense to me so thats what im gonna use. haha

Old
03-02-2010, 09:19 PM
coooldude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy View Post
You assume teams #2-#8 never play each other...
Boom! At this point, the magic # is so volatile and complicated that it's hardly worth counting.

Would you guys rather see us go 13-3-4 or 11-7-2 again?

If we do #1, everyone is on edge because we're a #1 seed and ready to choke. Maybe burning out too hard, should be resting our guys.

If we do #2, we're already sliding and everyone should start the funeral procession.

I prefer a mediocre record with wins over good teams to a whole lot of points against the middle of the league and embarrassing losses to potential playoff opponents. Sadly I expect this last option.

Old
03-02-2010, 09:34 PM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by coooldude View Post
Boom! At this point, the magic # is so volatile and complicated that it's hardly worth counting.

Would you guys rather see us go 13-3-4 or 11-7-2 again?

If we do #1, everyone is on edge because we're a #1 seed and ready to choke. Maybe burning out too hard, should be resting our guys.

If we do #2, we're already sliding and everyone should start the funeral procession.

I prefer a mediocre record with wins over good teams to a whole lot of points against the middle of the league and embarrassing losses to potential playoff opponents. Sadly I expect this last option.
Neither are mutually exclusive and either way, it's irrelevant and the Sharks have shown that they can finish the season in any way and still can't get out of the 2nd round. I don't really care how they finish or who they play or who they get their wins against. They'll either get a good match up or won't. They'll either have the guys to get it done or won't. How these last twenty games play out, with the exception of a major injury, isn't going to factor into their playoff results.

The only thing I'm confident in is that if the Sharks draw the Wings in the 1st round, they're out in 6 games.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 09:45 PM
coooldude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
Neither are mutually exclusive and either way, it's irrelevant and the Sharks have shown that they can finish the season in any way and still can't get out of the 2nd round. I don't really care how they finish or who they play or who they get their wins against. They'll either get a good match up or won't. They'll either have the guys to get it done or won't. How these last twenty games play out, with the exception of a major injury, isn't going to factor into their playoff results.

The only thing I'm confident in is that if the Sharks draw the Wings in the 1st round, they're out in 6 games.
Dude, I'm right with you. It's more of an entertainment value thing. I'd rather see us finish strong against strong teams, just for fun. I was trying to get at the fact that no matter what happens, people are going to see good and bad in it and in the end, it's pretty much irrelevant as we've seen many years in a row now.

Old
03-03-2010, 07:36 AM
sjshrky27

Over the last 2 months or so, its safe to say the Sharks will only beat the bottom feeders in the league, and once again lose to the better teams over the next 2 months. Thus, prepping us for (another) first round exit...

sjshrky27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 11:38 AM
Sleepy

Quote:
Originally Posted by coooldude View Post
Dude, I'm right with you. It's more of an entertainment value thing. I'd rather see us finish strong against strong teams, just for fun. I was trying to get at the fact that no matter what happens, people are going to see good and bad in it and in the end, it's pretty much irrelevant as we've seen many years in a row now.
I'm rooting for another President's trophy... because I think winning it or not winning it has absolutely zero impact on playoff success... and I like NHL hardware :p

Sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 11:52 AM
SactoShork
The Youth Movement

vCash: 50
I want to see the Sharks win every game they play.

I would think, subsequently, that would earn them the President's Trophy.

SactoShork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 05:24 AM
VP and GM
Havlat is gone!

I think the team will be just over the 500 wining percentage mark as they work on line up combos and get healthy and rested for the playoffs. I think the'll win the pacific, but it'll be alot closer than it is now. I don't think the'll win the presidents cup for most points.

VP and GM is offline   Reply With Quote