HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

2009-2010 Part III

Closed Thread

Old
03-05-2010, 10:15 AM
Nordic*

vCash: 500
How can Figren have 5 points in like 45 games, is he really that bad??

Old
03-05-2010, 12:32 PM
Sneekypete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic View Post
How can Figren have 5 points in like 45 games, is he really that bad??
Over the last 10 games he has been better the mediocre but prior to that he was the worst semi highly toughted prospect I had seen come through the pipes in, well EVER.

Old
03-05-2010, 12:45 PM
Sneekypete

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIsle View Post
Yep, it'll be interesting to see what they do with the BPort club next season. In addition to the guys you named above, there's an outside chance the team would sign Kessel and/or Ness early and get them going on their pro careers. I'd say Kessel is closer to being ready than Ness is.

Hamonic will definitely be signed, but I'm curious as to whether Niemi is in the plans? Fortunately for him, he's really stepped it up a bit since the WJC. He's totally turned around what had been a very unspectacular season.

I'd actually like to see the team take a chance on Spurgeon. I mean, I'd hope he would be willing to sign a two-way with BPort/Utah, with some type of promise from Snow that proving he can bring his game to the pro level will see him get signed by the mother club. The boy has some skills, let there be no doubt.

Would love to see Mauldin stick around. I figure Bentivoglio will have his eyes set on Europe. Can't see the Isles resigning him anyhow.

Definitely see Rhett being signed and in BPort. I don't see the team signing Rogers, but they could sign Day (also a senior?). They may also take a look at signing Cizikas. Dunno how they see him at the moment.

Dibo, Joensuu and Martin return, although the latter two will see more time on the Island next season. Figren, Rechlicz and Romano are there; don't know if Marcinko has another year left? I'd like to see the team keep Smith, but they may choose otherwise. Things would be much different on his front if he currently had 27-30-57 as opposed to 17-20-37. They should place some importance on bringing in a few AHL veterans WITH scoring capabilities. That would help these boys in many respects.

Of course, the guy I'd most like to see added to BPort is Petrov. I'm just dieing to see what this kid can do once he's gotten some games under his belt.

I suspect they'll look to go with Koskinen as the primary starter. What a bummer that this season has been a wash. I was really hoping we'd see what he could do.

Any interesting college UFAs for the team to sign this year?
I don`t think Day and Rogers get signed unless they can agree to a AHL deal or a ECHL deal. Spurgeon is just so small, if he would take a ECHL deal and transition to forward he may have a shot but 5`7 dmen in the NHL are as common as Sasquatch knocking on your door.
I don`t think Kessel will leave school but thats just my opinion. With regaurds to Ness I think he will leave school but I also think he can either go to junior or the AHL but I may be wrong and probably am.
Petrov would be a great addition to Bport, no one actually knows what he can do and I would suspect he would put up similar numbers to what JJ put up his rookie season. Not because they are the same type player but because of the transition curve...
I would like to see Bobby Butler from UNH or Marcou( another tiny tot) but lightning fast and a very good playmaker. There are some other kids like Cam Macintyre, Mike Testwuide, Jarod Palmer and the big bruising hitter and grinder John Mitchell. I know a little about Mitchell, Macintyre and Marcou.. Have seen Butler play a few times and know nothing about Testwuide.......

Old
03-05-2010, 12:46 PM
NYI78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneekypete View Post
Over the last 10 games he has been better the mediocre but prior to that he was the worst semi highly toughted prospect I had seen come through the pipes in, well EVER.

maybe he should be labeled a project...lets see where he is next year..i would say since the start of the year he has gotten progressively better

Old
03-05-2010, 12:48 PM
Sneekypete

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYI78 View Post
maybe he should be labeled a project...lets see where he is next year..i would say since the start of the year he has gotten progressively better
I agree and have given him some leeway and said this, is his transition year and next year is his make or break year as to just how much of a prospect he is and will ever be.

Old
03-05-2010, 02:07 PM
teddygmr

article about Ridderwall

http://hockey.expressen.se/elitserie...m-vi-tittar-pa

I tried to download Babylon to translate this but must have done something wrong.
Anyway, he is having a breakthrough season with Djurgarden in the Swedish Elite league but this article apparently suggests he may move to Timra.
Today is his 22nd birthday so still very young and it wouldnt hurt him to spend another season over there prior to coming to NA, imo.

Old
03-06-2010, 10:20 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddygmr View Post
http://hockey.expressen.se/elitserie...m-vi-tittar-pa

I tried to download Babylon to translate this but must have done something wrong.
Anyway, he is having a breakthrough season with Djurgarden in the Swedish Elite league but this article apparently suggests he may move to Timra.
Today is his 22nd birthday so still very young and it wouldnt hurt him to spend another season over there prior to coming to NA, imo.
The article says that Ridderwall's contract with Djurgarden runs out after this season and that he's one of the candidates to take over the reigns for Timra, who would like to retain a goalie by the name of Lindback. The tone in this article says Lindback is highly sought after.

He's a Nashville draftee.

There's nothing special about Ridderwall mentioned in the article.

Timra is the club Nielsen spent three seasons with.

By the by, Ridderwall started off this season as the number and was then EN FUEGO for the first 5 or 6 games he played in.

He has however really come down to earth in the past two months and is once again the designated back-up to Wesslau, who has stats ranking him amongst the top 3 in the league. Wesslau is just a year or two older.

Ridderwall would be well-served going somewhere where he can be seen as the number 1 - a job often GIVEN to goalies in the SEL because every time one becomes good, they're either brought over to North America or head to the highest bidder, creating openings on a number of teams for younger goalies to get their shot at a starting job.

Old
03-06-2010, 11:04 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

BPort with a big 5-4 regulation time victory last night against Portland. Radja and Smith scored in the third to clinch it.

Radja, Martin and Bentivoglio with two points.
Smith with two goals.

Islander prospects Dibenedetto, Marcinko and Figren built the fourth line.

The Soundtigers have signed a Dman named Motherwell out of the ECHL (where he had 28 points for in 48 games). Undrafted, he's about six foot and 200 pounds. Had offensively excellent freshman and sophomore seasons at BC mid-2000s before turning pro and putting in a very decent rookie year for Syracuse (16 points in 48 AHL games).

Looks like a guy who can definitely help in the depth department.

Defensive pairings consisted of
Witt-Gleed
Wotton-Klementyev
Motherwell-Gannon

SP, still really the most unimpressive group you've ever seen in the AHL? I might truly have to agree.

Old
03-06-2010, 02:03 PM
Sneekypete

Quote:
BPort with a big 5-4 regulation time victory last night against Portland. Radja and Smith scored in the third to clinch it.

Radja, Martin and Bentivoglio with two points.
Smith with two goals.

Islander prospects Dibenedetto, Marcinko and Figren built the fourth line.

The Soundtigers have signed a Dman named Motherwell out of the ECHL (where he had 28 points for in 48 games). Undrafted, he's about six foot and 200 pounds. Had offensively excellent freshman and sophomore seasons at BC mid-2000s before turning pro and putting in a very decent rookie year for Syracuse (16 points in 48 AHL games).

Looks like a guy who can definitely help in the depth department.

Defensive pairings consisted of
Witt-Gleed
Wotton-Klementyev
Motherwell-Gannon

SP, still really the most unimpressive group you've ever seen in the AHL? I might truly have to agree.
The 4th line looked great last night, I always try and support Marcinko but I am not sure what his deal is with regaurds to being out of the line up regularly..
The defense is super weak and very shakey. AK looked decent he made a couple mistakes but seems to get better as the game goes on. No opinion on Motherwell and I am always a fan of Gleed but he has been less then spectacular lately. Witt is so slow an (old lady with a walker could step around him when he is skating backwards).
Smith looked good last night, he looked like he had a aire of confidence he has not had in a while. Radja seems to be Bports best forward since he has been in Bport.

Bport needs a winning streak bad but I just don`t see it with the way there D is set up. Now with regaurds to the playoffs I just don`t see it this year.

Old
03-08-2010, 08:43 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneekypete View Post
Bport needs a winning streak bad but I just don`t see it with the way there D is set up. Now with regaurds to the playoffs I just don`t see it this year.
Welp, three wins this weekend. Who'd have thunk it?

Seems like Radja is helping a bit and there was a good number of points for the blueline in the three wins this weekend.

VERY important 6 points this weekend.

Now Capuano needs to tell the boys that this has to be done a couple more times this season.

Who knows, maybe we're seeing what the boys are really made of with their collective backs against the wall with consideration of the playoff pictures and injuries/call-ups.

With this in mind, there may not be any call-ups of Martin and Joensuu unless needed.

Old
03-08-2010, 11:09 AM
Sneekypete

Quote:
Welp, three wins this weekend. Who'd have thunk it?

Seems like Radja is helping a bit and there was a good number of points for the blueline in the three wins this weekend.

VERY important 6 points this weekend.

Now Capuano needs to tell the boys that this has to be done a couple more times this season.

Who knows, maybe we're seeing what the boys are really made of with their collective backs against the wall with consideration of the playoff pictures and injuries/call-ups.

With this in mind, there may not be any call-ups of Martin and Joensuu unless needed.
LOL, who would have thought Bport would win 3 in a row with that defense. Honestly the D this weekend was very impressive and I am dumbfounded I am saying this. Could it be the system or maybe the coach teaching the system or the fact that the kids they are picking up have a ton of hockey sense.
Radja has been great and seems to have sparked Smith. Smith and Radja were teammates at UNH back in the day. Could this be the chemistry he needed because he does look like a different player. FYI Radja seems like a semi decent playmaker and a very good PK`r.
With 14 games left to play Bport probably needs 10 wins or so to have a shot at the playoffs.
With the way Bports division is set up for playoffs Bports next 2 games against Norfolk are must wins for Bport and by must wins atleast 1 needs to be in regulation.

Old
03-09-2010, 07:56 PM
du78

Rhett Rakhshani won the WCHA Scoring Title with 15 goals and 20 assists for 35 points in 28 league games.

On the season he has 20 goals and 28 assists for 48 points in 36 games, good for 4th nationally.

Denver opens the WCHA playoffs this weekend with a best 2 out of 3 series at home against Michigan Tech.

Old
03-10-2010, 06:35 PM
Isles Enforcer

Send a message via AIM to Isles Enforcer Send a message via Yahoo to Isles Enforcer
Guys signed for next year:

G- Koskinen

D- Katic
D- Klementyev

F- Martin
F- Figren
F- Joensuu
F- Rechlicz
F- DiBenedetto
F- Romano
F- Haley
F- Marcinko

RFA- Kohn
RFA- T. Smith
RFA- Lawson
RFA- Bentivoglio
RFA- Flood
RFA- Reese

Guys that they will sign:

D- Hamonic
F- Rakhashani

That leaves 10 guys on the roster. If they bring back all of there RFA's AND Mauldin that brings them up to 17. Hopefully Gleed comes back. Not sure if they are bringing Wotton back, or if Witt is going to be bought out.

Old
03-11-2010, 11:02 AM
frankieboy

ISLES ENFORCER, I have a couple of Sound Tigers questions for you since it sounds like you know the farm team pretty well and I only know what I read about them online. How well is Trevor Gillies liked by the fans in Bridgeport and how likely is it that he may be resigned? While I am not sure he will ever be a regular in the NHL, I like the toughness he has brought to the Sound Tigers. He is a competent enforcer, unlike Rechlicz, who is at best a work in progress. I realize some guys can turn it around, but Rechlicz is at least as likely to lose (or more likely) than win. I actually would love to see Gillies resigned, unless the Islanders get crazy and sign a guy like Derek Boogaard!

Old
03-11-2010, 11:23 AM
JPIsles21

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankieboy View Post
ISLES ENFORCER, I have a couple of Sound Tigers questions for you since it sounds like you know the farm team pretty well and I only know what I read about them online. How well is Trevor Gillies liked by the fans in Bridgeport and how likely is it that he may be resigned? While I am not sure he will ever be a regular in the NHL, I like the toughness he has brought to the Sound Tigers. He is a competent enforcer, unlike Rechlicz, who is at best a work in progress. I realize some guys can turn it around, but Rechlicz is at least as likely to lose (or more likely) than win. I actually would love to see Gillies resigned, unless the Islanders get crazy and sign a guy like Derek Boogaard!
Also, what's the deal with Rechlicz? He's only played 19 games in the minors this season. I don't remember him getting hurt. Does anyone have an update?

Old
03-11-2010, 06:08 PM
Isles Enforcer

Send a message via AIM to Isles Enforcer Send a message via Yahoo to Isles Enforcer
I seriously doubt Gillies gets resigned. Rechlicz is signed for another year, and has been injured for most of it. As for Gillies, he is well liked and Matt Martin even went and said how Gillies took him under his wing and showed him the ropes on fighting bigger guys in the league. But the Soundtigers are going to have a lot of decisions to make and they may not have room for Gillies next year.

Old
03-11-2010, 06:58 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

With Rechlicz, Morency, Haley and Gillies, the Tigers definitely have their fair share of guys who are ready and willing to throw 'em.

Gillies will likely have a few opportunities to end this season to determine whether he's worth resigning. The penalty late in the game against Philly certainly didn't help things.

I would have to think there are only a select few spots open for next season. Isles Enforcer has a good list up there and then there are plenty of other decisions to make. We've also got guys in the system like Nikiforov and Dale who might be in the equation.

I'd also hope this franchise would bring in a veteran or two who really score in this league.

Then again, it'd not be surprising if the Isles give Figren, Dibenedetto and Marcinko all the time in the world next season to be scorers in this league. They'll be adding Hamonic and Rakhshani with the intention of both taking a quicker road to the NHL.

I think both Bentivoglio and Morency will not be returning.

I wouldn't mind college players Camper and Butler being brought in, even if they're not getting the hype of a Bozak or Gilroy. In addition, I think everyone is assuming that Marcou is gonna be given a shot in this organization á la Nikiforov, who he may be better than. But college guys are just cherries on top at the moment.

Gonna be another young team next season.

Old
03-12-2010, 07:53 AM
NYI78

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankieboy View Post
he is one of the nicest guys i have ever met...taking hockey out of the equation..he is a great guy and has done alot for the bport community...with that being said i don't think there will be a spot for him...the wrecker had some serious hand issues this year.i know he had a tooth get stuck in his hand after a fight and it caused a nasty infection...for some reason i think morency will be back...he is the cult hero here

Old
03-12-2010, 08:34 AM
Brunomics

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYI78 View Post
he is one of the nicest guys i have ever met...taking hockey out of the equation..he is a great guy and has done alot for the bport community...with that being said i don't think there will be a spot for him...the wrecker had some serious hand issues this year.i know he had a tooth get stuck in his hand after a fight and it caused a nasty infection...for some reason i think morency will be back...he is the cult hero here
damn that just sounds rough, couldn't imagine leaving a fight with a guys tooth in my hand...

Old
03-12-2010, 11:18 PM
redbull
Expect more

anders lee has 2-5-7pts in last two games, now 6th in league scoring
33 goals 63 pts +35
impressive numbers.

Old
03-13-2010, 09:33 AM
ndgolden

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
anders lee has 2-5-7pts in last two games, now 6th in league scoring
33 goals 63 pts +35
impressive numbers.
Lee suffered a 1-2 grade shoulder separation less than two weeks ago. Missed 1st game of the year, 6 days after injury. Returned to action the next day. Wears a patch for pain, seems to be working.

Gamblers on the road can clinch division title tonight with win over Cedar Rapids. 8 point lead over Omaha for Anderson Cup with 8 games to play.

Old
03-13-2010, 11:23 AM
Mikkel

Last round of the regular season in Sweden today. Games start in 30 min.

There is one playoff-spot left to fight for with the two contenders - Anders Nilsson's Luleå and Timrå (with, among others, Magnus Pääjärvi-Svensson) - who are coincidentally meeting tonight. Timrå was mentioned earlier in this thread as a possible destination for Stefan Ridderwall next year, and Ridderwall did the best to sell himself as he stopped 36 out of 38 shots against Timrå on Thursday. This leaves Timrå in a position where they need to win in regulation to make the playoff, and apparently Timrå's coach blamed this on that "God d*** Ridderwall"

Ridderwall's Djurgården sits in 3rd, and is a lock to make the playoffs. David Ullström's HV71 are, I think, certain to win the (regular season) league. Of interest may also be that MODO fails to make the playoffs after losing the past 2 games to the 2 worst teams in the league. For a team with Peter Forsberg, Markus Näslund and SEL points leader Mats Zuccarello-Aasen, this is certainly a major dissappointment.

FWIW, Ridderwall sits 3rd in the league in SVS% with 91,69 - his co-#1 Gustaf Wesslau is marginally better at 91,72. Wesslau and Ridderwall are also tied for 2nd in GAA with 2,30 each. Anders Nilsson is 13th (out of 15 with enough playing time to register) in SVS% with 89,68 and 11th in GAA with 2,65. With only one game left, these stats are unlikely to change much.

David Ullström is 5g, 11a and -2. This isn't outstanding (14th on his team), although, as mentioned, HV71 has been doing great wherefore Ullström's ice times has been limited for great stretches of the season.

Former Islander's prospect Jeremy 'the Sweetener' Colliton has 11g, 10a 21p, but is also a Nate Thompson-esque -19.

Old
03-13-2010, 08:54 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Thanks for the update Mikkel! Gonna be interesting to see what Djurgarden and HV71 can do in the playoffs.

In other news, Bport came out with two mirror-image 3-2 SO victories against Norfolk this weekend.

Important wins!

One's gotta figure that if they can go .500 the rest of the way, then they'll make the playoffs.

Gotta figure with Bailey, MacDonald, Kohn and Reese to help out, the team will not be a nice opponent for whoever faces them in the first round.

Figren has been playing much better of late.

Old
03-14-2010, 05:28 AM
Randizzle

I just saw that Matt Martin was scratched last night..
Any particular reason why ?

Old
03-14-2010, 08:20 AM
Mikkel

Quote:
Thanks for the update Mikkel! Gonna be interesting to see what Djurgarden and HV71 can do in the playoffs.
You're welcome, of course.

Luleå (with Nilsson as back up) actually lost the last game of the season 1-0 at home, wherefore they miss the playoffs. Timrå (who beat them) gets in instead. I guess Nilsson's season is over then, although he could maybe play in Juniors still?

HV71 finished first, while Djurgården finished second (they overtook Linköping, after Linköping lost to HV71). Ridderwall did not start in the last game, but it still remains up in the air who will start for Djurgården in the playoffs (see, for example, this article). Wesslau and Ridderwall pretty much has as identical stats as practically possible. According to the above article, both netminders seem ok with this situation - even if this might be a show of 'professionalism' put on for the press, this is still a good character sign imo. Also, for a guy who may not ever be good enough to be a #1 in the NHL, and therefore aren't guaranteed many starts in a row, the ability to play 'cold' could be a great benefit. In any case, as you say, it will be interesting to follow them in the playoffs.

David Ullström got about four minutes of playing time for HV71 in their game, and while he will most likely play his part in the playoffs, don't expect him to get too much ice time. Unfortunately.

Playoff schedule is not decided yet, but HV71 gets to decide first among teams 5-8 (my guess: Timrå), while Djurgården decides as the next one (rumour is Frölunda as Djurgården seems to have their number).

Closed Thread