HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

3-05-10: Preds @ Wings

Old
03-05-2010, 08:47 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

vCash: 500
Amazingly we're at 18.8% on the PP over the past 55 games. suck, suck, ok but unsuccessful, suck, wtf, score .... repeat over and over.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 08:54 PM
jstreet

vCash: 1453
you cant expect to win any game that you go 0-900 on the PP and give up shorthanded goals.

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 09:10 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
I admittedly missed the first period, but that was the first game in a long time that Suter has just flat out looked exhausted...

No excuses, but not surprised that Nashville got outworked from the drop of the puck tonight. Second half of a back-to-back Detroit was sitting at home last night seething over their last game. The recipe for disaster was to fall behind early and try to play catch up all night and that's exactly what we did...

Lost the special teams battle 3-0 (PPGA, SHGA, ENGA) and lose the game by 3 goals as well. Must make teams pay when they take penalties. Cannot continue to give up any momentum we have going and hand it right over to a successful kill.

Weber leaves the game with a wrist/arm injury which is never a good thing and you hope that it isn't anything long-term, but maybe, just maybe it forces the team to actually do something out there on the PP besides try to set it up for Weber to bomb away from the point?

Klein playing with no confidence right now makes D-pairings extremely difficult to predict with Weber potentially out of the lineup. There is no balance to any of the pairings if Weber is out even for a few games...

Ellis admittedly with some bad rebounds tonight, but got no help on either of Helm's goals and actually kept the score within reason for most of the night.

Just totally out of sync tonight. Never got a chance to get into our game playing from behind and then forced to chase the puck around all night long expending energy and looking lethargic.

Smithson-Legwand-Ward line was the best that I saw out there tonight, but that's no doubt because they don't rely on skill and instead bust their butts to make things happen. Great steal by Smithson and a beautiful pass to set up Wardo's goal, just enough of a screen too by Leggy to throw off Howard's timing...

Grebeshkov showed an uncanny ability to keep pucks alive, but wasn't able to create anything from it because his teammates all closed in right on top of him and made it too easy to defend...

Great play by Wilson on the PP in the third period receiving a pass just below the goal line to Howard's left and actually taking it to the net drawing the defender and getting Howard to commit to the post before sending it over to O'Reilly wide open in the slot. Unfortunately, Cal is unprepared and lets it go straight through his feet, eerily similar to the final scramble in the dying seconds of last season's home finale...Wilson had the right idea...take it to the net!!! If he could only rub that off on some of his teammates...

All in all, just a crappy night for the Predators. Gotta get home, rest up, and take it to the Canucks in the Sunday matinee. Unfortunately, I don't really remember us having much success in Sunday matinees at home...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 09:12 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

At least we didn't score four goals again. Then people might have gotten their hopes up

I missed most of the game. Sometimes I just have to get away from things

TMI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 09:22 PM
Fortheloveofthegame

Nice to see the lines get a little "shake up" in the second. Hope Weber is not out too long! They mentioned on the pre-game that Tootoo was going to be the scratch if Boyd was able to play.
It will be interesting to see what the lines look like on Sunday.
Wilson ends up -3 with the empty netter. Too bad, I thought he had a strong game.
Defensively, he seems to have alot of patience with the puck and no turn overs. Made some great plays that did not get finished.
Tootoo leaving the puck inside the defensive zone as he was carrying the puck out to make a hit, created a turn over....luckily no goal.
I thought Sullivan was great out there (lots of intensity and great plays)
Detroit seemed more desperate for the first two periods.
Could have been 7 points ahead, now we are only 3 ahead.....ouch!

Fortheloveofthegame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 09:25 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

we did have a lot of chances that we failed to capitalize on. 66.666666 win% since the break. 18.18PP% since the break. It's one game ... still in 7th, 3pts ahead of 8th with the first tiebreak.

Old
03-05-2010, 09:42 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
we did have a lot of chances that we failed to capitalize on. 66.666666 win% since the break. 18.18PP% since the break. It's one game ... still in 7th, 3pts ahead of 8th with the first tiebreak.
Exactly, it doesn't matter how ugly any one loss is...they still count for just two points in the standings at the end of the night. Can't go into any extended funks, so you can't get too caught up on any one night right now.

Learn from your mistakes, rest up, and get back on the winning side of things Sunday...

Old
03-05-2010, 09:45 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwhiteandblue View Post
They mentioned on the pre-game that Tootoo was going to be the scratch if Boyd was able to play.
Interesting, Toots is having a career year and looked pretty good on that line with Wilson and O'Reilly last night against LA, but obviously he isn't giving what the coaches are looking for right now...

Trotz said that whoever gets the scratch isn't going to like it and I can't say I disagree, but that is all part of professional sports where it's all about what have you done for me lately...

Wilson and O'Reilly have chemistry from Milwaukee and Wilson mentioned Wednesday on the radio that he grew up playing with and against Boyd in Winnipeg, so...it'll be interesting to see if that indeed is the unit out there Sunday afternoon...

Old
03-05-2010, 09:52 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Interesting, Toots is having a career year and looked pretty good on that line with Wilson and O'Reilly last night against LA, but obviously he isn't giving what the coaches are looking for right now...

Trotz said that whoever gets the scratch isn't going to like it and I can't say I disagree, but that is all part of professional sports where it's all about what have you done for me lately...

Wilson and O'Reilly have chemistry from Milwaukee and Wilson mentioned Wednesday on the radio that he grew up playing with and against Boyd in Winnipeg, so...it'll be interesting to see if that indeed is the unit out there Sunday afternoon...
Career year for Toots is a bit of a stretch. He did have one 10+ goal season a few years ago. This is his second 5 goal season ..... almost Jones-like ... oh, wait.

Old
03-05-2010, 10:33 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Grebeshkov showed an uncanny ability to keep pucks alive, but wasn't able to create anything from it because his teammates all closed in right on top of him and made it too easy to defend...
Glad to see the scoresheet confirm my observation. Grebs with a team-best +5 Corsi rating tonight. Made much better decisions this evening about when to jump into the play and when to stay back and it clearly lead to more offensive pressure. A little more time for him to learn his teammates and likewise for his teammates to learn him and I think this will turn out to be a great addition to our blueline heading down the stretch...

Last edited by Seth Lake: 03-05-2010 at 10:42 PM.
Old
03-05-2010, 10:53 PM
OpenWheel

Quote:
almost Jones-like
Who?

I'd have rather seen Jones on a line with Wilson than Tootoo. I was looking forward to Wilson having a finisher. But Jones is not on this team. Leave the past behind.

OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 11:00 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenWheel View Post
Who?

I'd have rather seen Jones on a line with Wilson than Tootoo. I was looking forward to Wilson having a finisher. But Jones is not on this team. Leave the past behind.
Jones a finisher....lol. That was a good one.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 11:05 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
Jones with two career 7 goal half seasons in just two partial seasons in the leauge... Tootoo with one career 7 goal full season dating back to before the lockout. hmmmmmmm

Old
03-05-2010, 11:15 PM
deleted

Didnt' know where else to put this...just saw a really bad Boogaard knee on Jones tonight. Said he missed the rest of the game after it.

deleted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 11:19 PM
MemphisMTLfan

Just got home. Thank goodness I missed this one!

MemphisMTLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 11:21 PM
deleted

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenWheel View Post
Who?

I'm completely behind you here...but don't forget the Preds are a business now and Tootoo puts people in seats. I'd actually rather have had Wilson centering Jones and Tootoo (Actually Boyd now).

deleted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 11:34 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
Jones with two career 7 goal half seasons in just two partial seasons in the leauge... Tootoo with one career 7 goal full season dating back to before the lockout. hmmmmmmm
14 goals does not make him a finisher. Ovie is a finisher. Kurri was a finisher. Bossy was a finisher. Rads is a finisher. Jones is a mucker. I'm not comparing him to Tootoo, you are. I just find it funny that he was called a finisher, that's all.

Old
03-05-2010, 11:38 PM
OpenWheel

Quote:
I figured someone would say that.

Sure, he's not a sniper. But all I know is when he gets near the net pucks go in at a higher rate than some guys. At least that's my impression. So he's a "finisher" in the Hornqvist style, although not at that level. I just don't see pucks going in often enough with Tootoo out there. I hope I'm wrong though.

"Mucker" is close enough to what I meant. Hardworker. Garbage scorer. Tootoo can work his butt off yet the pucks don't seem to go in very much.

OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 11:54 PM
oreilly22

March 27th - Mark it on your calendars folks. If Weber is back by then, Holmstrom is going to get smoked. That was a cheap hit, no penalty was called, and Weber was furious.

oreilly22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 02:27 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstreet View Post
If Ive said it once, Ive said it a million times: Kevin Klein is terrible.
I've never said that...

... I just scream and curse at him instead.

Quote:
Career year for Toots is a bit of a stretch. He did have one 10+ goal season a few years ago. This is his second 5 goal season ..... almost Jones-like ... oh, wait.
You know, I really tend to-

WE INTERRUPT THIS POST FOR A SPECIAL NEWS BULLETIN

In news just breaking here in the studio, we have just been informed that the Ryan Jones Horse has been found bludgeoned to death in Cedar Park. No further details are available at this time, but we will keep you abreast of this story as it develops.

WE NOW RETURN YOU TO YOUR REGULARLY SCHEDULED POST, ALREADY IN PROGRESS

... and whistled for a baboon!

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 08:45 AM
RollingPredFan

I thought Detroit got away with murder but there is nothing new about that Ward got boarded just before their first goal, the Detroit announcers couldn't find a penalty on O'Reilly.... But in the end we just got outworked and outplayed. Suter needs his ice time cut down if he is going to lolly gag like that, that was a back breaker. I know he's been on the ice a lot, but geez.
And Klein. Oh well I better get used to it since we signed him.

Well just need to shrug it off but losing Weber for any extended time will hurt....

RollingPredFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 11:59 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingPredFan View Post
I thought Detroit got away with murder but there is nothing new about that Ward got boarded just before their first goal, the Detroit announcers couldn't find a penalty on O'Reilly.... But in the end we just got outworked and outplayed. Suter needs his ice time cut down if he is going to lolly gag like that, that was a back breaker. I know he's been on the ice a lot, but geez.
And Klein. Oh well I better get used to it since we signed him.

Well just need to shrug it off but losing Weber for any extended time will hurt....
Would it matter if detroit got away with murder? Our power play essentially took away any chance to get back into the game. It's two minutes that we can near guarantee no scoring chances. At least there were some at even strength. It's a momentum killer in a game like that.

And I thought we got Grebs to help the PP? Why then is it still preferable to put Sullivan back at the point(leading to a SH goal, btw) than put Grebs out there with Suter? And why is bouillon still getting more PP time than DG?

Frustrating stuff. We had a pretty good chance to cement 7th place, and instead we made it a race again.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 12:44 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
Frustrating stuff. We had a pretty good chance to cement 7th place, and instead we made it a race again.
There's still 18 games to go. Nothing is in cement, at all.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 02:20 PM
glenngineer

I think something that gets lost in our PP, regardless of conversion percentage, is how much time we control the puck in the offensive zone. The other night, when Arnott scored, we held the puck in the zone for most of that PP, tiring the Kings out and resulting in breakdowns by them resulting in a goal for us. That's all fine and good that one PP did that. The problem that I have is that we don't tire the other team out on previous or subsequent PP's. If we can keep their guys on the ice longer than they want and tire them out, it pays not only in PP goals but also later in games as those guys may not have their legs. I would almost rather trade a goal here or there to have more control in the offensive zone and tire teams out.

We can't seem to get the puck into the zone and when we do, it's often cleared before we are able to get to it. We dump the puck but have no speed going into the zone because more often than not, we have 4 guys standing between the center red line and the blue line with no speed. Kind of hard to dump and chase with no speed. It's also hard to carry the puck into the offensive zone with no speed coming thru the neutral zone as well. Why not have Weber or Suter shoot the puck from center ice but have guys skating hard thru the neutral zone and then go fight for the puck? When teams stand us up continually, you have to change your strategy. I see other teams able to adjust and hold onto the puck for long stretches of PP time, why can't we?

Old
03-06-2010, 11:24 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
I think something that gets lost in our PP, regardless of conversion percentage, is how much time we control the puck in the offensive zone. The other night, when Arnott scored, we held the puck in the zone for most of that PP, tiring the Kings out and resulting in breakdowns by them resulting in a goal for us. That's all fine and good that one PP did that. The problem that I have is that we don't tire the other team out on previous or subsequent PP's. If we can keep their guys on the ice longer than they want and tire them out, it pays not only in PP goals but also later in games as those guys may not have their legs. I would almost rather trade a goal here or there to have more control in the offensive zone and tire teams out.

We can't seem to get the puck into the zone and when we do, it's often cleared before we are able to get to it. We dump the puck but have no speed going into the zone because more often than not, we have 4 guys standing between the center red line and the blue line with no speed. Kind of hard to dump and chase with no speed. It's also hard to carry the puck into the offensive zone with no speed coming thru the neutral zone as well. Why not have Weber or Suter shoot the puck from center ice but have guys skating hard thru the neutral zone and then go fight for the puck? When teams stand us up continually, you have to change your strategy. I see other teams able to adjust and hold onto the puck for long stretches of PP time, why can't we?
When the PP can get in the zone and set up, it looks good. When we can't get in the zone on the PP, we look like crap.

About 3-4 out of every six opportunities over the past 56 games, the team looks like crap. 1-2 of every six look ok, but fail to convert. Then there is that one that we somehow score.

18.4% over the past 56 games sure as hell beats the 3.7% over the first 8.