HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Fans with DirecTV (Versus Back On)

Old
03-06-2010, 04:12 AM
Kane One
HFB Partner

vCash: 1950
Fans with DirecTV (Versus Back On)

Since DirecTV doesn't have the Versus channel anymore, is there a channel on tv to watch games that are broadcasted on Versus, or do I have to just watch online?

I know there's Center Ice but that's not worth it if I'm just using it for like 5 games a season.

Kane One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 04:30 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
Since DirecTV doesn't have the Versus channel anymore, is there a channel on tv to watch games that are broadcasted on Versus, or do I have to just watch online?

I know there's Center Ice but that's not worth it if I'm just using it for like 5 games a season.
if you have directv, only way to watch versus games is on the intertubes....that includes the playoffs FWIW.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 01:36 PM
Evolved83

Its really annoying as a fan to have to watch the game online anytime the rangers are on versus...

Evolved83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 02:12 PM
17futurecap

You think Bettman would of stepped in by now to help mediate this.

17futurecap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 02:17 PM
haohmaru
boomshakalaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17futurecap View Post
He has - but neither side is obligated to do anything or listen to him.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 02:18 PM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
He doesn't give a damn about existing fans who are already addicted to the game.

klingsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 02:45 PM
17futurecap

This was by far his worst decision to take the league to Versus, being on ESPN 2 would be better, even if they gave you the worst time slots possible it would still be better then watching the games on Versus who probably has the worst HD channel right now. This would never happen to any other sport because no commissioner of any other sport would put their league on such a terrible network.

Old
03-06-2010, 04:16 PM
Evolved83

Quote:
This was by far his worst decision to take the league to Versus, being on ESPN 2 would be better, even if they gave you the worst time slots possible it would still be better then watching the games on Versus who probably has the worst HD channel right now. This would never happen to any other sport because no commissioner of any other sport would put their league on such a terrible network.
I agree

Evolved83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 05:01 PM
ak10r

C-Span would be a better choice……

ak10r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 05:04 PM
ThisYearsModel

I have gone back and forth with DTV this week, asking about progress and such. They say there has been none. I responded that I will be switching for the playoffs to an outlet that has Versus, and they asked if I would call them, so they can talk me out of switching. That is it so far.

ThisYearsModel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 05:07 PM
gluvhand

Should be interesting to see how this plays out with Comcast owning both Versus and NBC (when finalized, I guess). Maybe NBC/Comcast devote some more air time to hockey. Nah. Just some wishful thinking.

gluvhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 05:43 PM
WolfPackFan07

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisYearsModel View Post
I have gone back and forth with DTV this week, asking about progress and such. They say there has been none. I responded that I will be switching for the playoffs to an outlet that has Versus, and they asked if I would call them, so they can talk me out of switching. That is it so far.
When you get back to them, complain hard with threats of walking away, but in a civil tone. At the beginning of the season, I was able to get Center Ice for free along with an HD DVR. Last thing they want is to lose customers over this.

WolfPackFan07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 09:07 PM
NCRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisYearsModel View Post
I've been through it with them one hundred times this season. Sometimes I'm nice, sometimes I'm using four letter words when the person is clueless (like offering Center Ice to me when I already have it, and telling them Center Ice DOES NOTHING when Versus has an "exclusive".) Versus doesn't even have a contact.

The problem is, there is no alternative where I live. Dish doesn't offer baseball. Cable is ridiculously expensive and they don't carry the regional (MASN) for baseball.

I've told DirecTV that I'd be willing to pay upwards of $10/additional per month for that ONE channel. I KNOW there are other hockey fans and MMA fans who've offered the same thing. I seriously doubt they really care. This pissing contest needs to end.

Bettman could end it if he wanted to. He could pull the exclusives and Center Ice blackouts. That would end this immediately. But no, Bettman is more interested in trying to shut down the "illegal" streams on the internet. The thing is, I don't fault Bettman for the Versus decision. ESPN was doing a horrible job with hockey; not promoting it at all, and seemed to be more interested in the NBA. That being said, Bettman should be more concerned with all 30 teams having all 82 games broadcast locally. That would do more than any silly national broadcasts. Every person in the US with cable/satellite is served by a regional sports network that covers an NHL team as a local (except for the Pacific Northwest). That means, except for people in Seattle, a hockey game should be available. Then, Center Ice would get EVERY other game. That's actually a better deal than Versus and NBC on 6-7 Sunday afternoons.

NCRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 09:09 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

I would pay $10 bucks a month just for Versus....i hate missing those games, it really makes me angry.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 07:50 AM
NCRanger

Any lawyers on this board?

I was wondering how much it would cost to file suit against DirecTV, and add Versus and Bettman (NHL) in the suit. Because Bettman is a lawyer, and would rather litigate everything than actually act as a commissioner, maybe it would get his attention.

Basically, DirecTV is full of **** when they talk about cost control re:Versus and then they raise my bill. Fact is, for what Versus wants, the cost might increase a whopping buck a month. I'm willing, and most NHL and MMA fans are willing, to fork over up to $10/month. The dispute HAS to be more than the cost.

Versus is full of **** because DirecTV has offered them more money to stay on the sports tier. Like anyone is going to watch the channel if it wasn't on the sports tier. The only reasons anyone even cares about Versus are the NHL and MMA. The only reason Versus even got anywhere was because of Bettman and the NHL. They should realize where they are, know that fans will pay for their coverage, and be happy with the millions they're getting.

Bettman has the power to end all of this. He could declare the Versus coverage contract null and void because the deal included coverage on DirecTV, and tell Versus to go f themselves. He could also mandate that the Versus games become available as part of the Center Ice package until a deal is struck. The NHL has also reneged on their contract with me by allowing Versus to pick up additional games this past week; the Buffalo-Washington game on Wed., and the Rangers-Pittsburgh game on Thurs. Those games were broadcast locally, which means those were Center Ice games. DirecTV customers then lose those games when they go to Versus. How that isn't a breach of contract is beyond me.

With Center Ice, this sport DOES NOT NEED A NATIONAL TV CONTRACT! Especially one that gives them NOTHING!

NCRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2010, 09:21 AM
Jersey Girl

Take this for what it's worth, but there is chatter on satellite forums stating the two sides are talking again, which they had not done for months. There is speculation they may reach a deal this month, but until a deal is signed, of course, it's just speculation.

In January/February a deal to return Versus to DirecTV seemed impossible. Now it at least seems possible.

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2010, 09:44 AM
ak10r

This is becoming more like the US North Korea drama. VS being Kim Jong Il

Old
03-09-2010, 11:33 AM
prone10

My email to DirecTV

Quote:
To DirecTV:

Being that you no longer carry Versus on DirecTV and the NHL Playoffs are right around the corner. What can I expect for coverage of the NHL Playoffs since it is for the most part exclusively carried on Versus?? Any progress in settling this deal. I've already missed nearly a full season of NHL games on Monday and Tuesday nights this season. To miss the Playoffs as well will be very disappointing.

DirecTV Response:

I understand your concern about the Versus channel and I'm terribly sorry for any trouble this had caused you. Our contract with Comcast expired on August 31, 2009, and we were unable to reach agreement on a renewal. Comcast was demanding renewal terms that did not reflect market value for the channel, and they forced us to drop Versus unless we agreed to their unreasonable terms. Please visit www.directv.com/versus for all the latest information.

While we are unable to comment on upcoming programming decisions, we are always reviewing our programming options to make sure we bring you the best possible TV experience. We value your opinions about our programming, so I have forwarded your request to DIRECTV management, who review every suggestion, inquiry and complaint for trends from our most important customers to determine what options should be considered.

Select NHL playoffs will be shown on NHL Center Ice and local channels. Please check on your program guide for schedules.

Thanks again for writing. We appreciate your patience and understanding.
So essentially they are saying the same thing they've been saying all along. I bolded the most important line to me. Anyone with DirecTV send letters and flood them with requests and inquiries! Lets hope some posturing regarding the playoffs will eventually get this deal done.

prone10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2010, 06:21 PM
Fletch

why not send complaints to Comcast? Why is this all on DirecTV? While a few people may be willing to pay $10/month, millions more don't want to pay an extra penny. The real issue is that Bettman put hockey on a channel that not everyone, everywhere gets. So while national TV was supposed to be a big advertiser of hockey coming out of the lock-out, Bettman's only able to secure what was then a pretty obscure channel called OLN which is on a cable channel not in anyone's regular surfing routine (I remember TWC being 26-29, covering SNY, MSG, ESPN and ESPN2 - OLN was about 122). The real issue is that Comcast and DTV compete with each other because cable operators can also be content owners/channel owners.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 08:22 AM
Jersey Girl

Send your letters to Bettman, call him when he's on the NHL show. That fact that Bettman has not stepped in and brokered some kind of deal to get his product back on the air, on the satellite system that caters to sports fans, absolutely boggles the mind.

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 08:50 PM
Kane One
HFB Partner

vCash: 1950
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfPackFan07 View Post
When you get back to them, complain hard with threats of walking away, but in a civil tone. At the beginning of the season, I was able to get Center Ice for free along with an HD DVR. Last thing they want is to lose customers over this.
thanks for that, I did the same thing yesterday and I just got center ice for free but not the hd receiver .. good enough

Kane One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 03:54 PM
rangerjoe

Versus back on Directv

Woohoo, just in time for tomorrow night's Rangers game. Finally!

rangerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 03:54 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Versus is back on DirecTv according to Versus' Twitter.

VersusNHL

Great news DirecTV subscribers: VERSUS is back! Tune into channel 603 to catch up on what you’ve been missing, including NHL tonight!
13 minutes ago via API
Retweeted by NHL and 8 others

NYRFAN218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 03:59 PM
17futurecap

Yes, bout time!!!

Old
03-15-2010, 04:01 PM
ak10r

Woot! YA now I get to complain how bad the announcers are on VS……

Very good news……. I thought I was going to have to miss the Rangers when we get to the third round and beyond……