HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Another skate recommendation thread...

Old
03-02-2010, 06:42 PM
Webernaut

vCash: 500
Another skate recommendation thread...

Height: 6'3
Weight: 240 LBS
Shoe Size: 11.0 D (US)
Position: LW/C
Frequency of Play: 4-6 days a week (8 to 10 hours on the ice)

I currently play in a pair of CCM Pro Tacks. I wouldn't go so far to say that I love these skates. I broke the boot on my older Bauers so a friend of mine hooked it up with a slightly used pair to "get me by". A year later I am still in them so it's time for a change. I wear dress socks and recently tried barefoot though I am going back to dress socks most likely, if that changes anything. Obviously I'm a pretty good sized guy which translates to me shredding boots to pieces. I am considering going pro stock if I can find a pair. Open to pretty much all brands. I have look at the CCM U+ Pros but have heard mixed reviews. At first glance, I like the Supreme One skate from Bauer but the price tag is a bit disgusting (though I may go for it). Anyway, any advice would be nice.

Webernaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 07:18 PM
bauerhockey02

I am going to say what just about everyone else is going to say and that is to go to your LHS and try on a bunch of different skates to find the pair that fits you best.

bauerhockey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 07:20 PM
cmdrdredd

I'm liking my CCM U+ Pro Reloaded skates. All reports say the Reloaded (new model) has fixed the issues people had with them falling apart. They use standard steel now too. The U Foam as they call it, is just very moldable and soft on your feet compared to most boots. The LHS says it's the most moldable boot they have. You can literally press the sides when it's warm and work pressure points out a bit. Bake it again and again until it's right. Now, you must try them to see if the fit works. Although the u foam stuff molds to your foot, the boot might not work in some areas. I'd at least try them on. What sold me was the customized fit you can get after baking them and that you can bake them over and over. Guy at the LHS I bought them from has them, says he would never skate in another skate as long as he can get another pair of Reloadeds when his wear out. He told me that he baked it and then went to skate on it. Kind of hated it and went back to his old skates for games. He practiced in his U+ Pros 2 more times and again went back to his old skates for a game. Then he baked them again, took them to practice again and they were better. He told me that after baking them a 2nd time they just got better and better each time he put them on. Finally it was just love. I know everyone is different but I can feel the softness of it on my feet. Ultimately what he told me and what people here will say is too true. You must wear the skate and when you find the right one, you'll know it. You should keep options open, try the U+ Pro, try Bauer Skates, try some Grafs, try some Easton and Reeboks, try everything you can in your price range. One will most definitely have a better feel than the others. Do note that the skates at the shop will not be comfortable the first time. Walk in them a bit and get a feel. When you feel secure and comfortable on them it's right for you.

The Supreme Ones are so new and so expensive that only a few NHL Pros have tried them and they likely get them free. I don't see any reviews/reports about them. Maybe someone has some info but I've never even seen them up close.

cmdrdredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 07:32 PM
Webernaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by bauerhockey02 View Post
I am going to say what just about everyone else is going to say and that is to go to your LHS and try on a bunch of different skates to find the pair that fits you best.
I live in Tampa. This is not an option for me. My LHS is 20 miles away and have maybe 3 pairs of skates in my size. I have considered driving North and stopping at random hockey shops. lol I mean there is literally nothing here... it sucks...

Old
03-02-2010, 07:35 PM
Webernaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
I'm liking my CCM U+ Pro Reloaded skates. All reports say the Reloaded (new model) has fixed the issues people had with them falling apart. They use standard steel now too. The U Foam as they call it, is just very moldable and soft on your feet compared to most boots. The LHS says it's the most moldable boot they have. You can literally press the sides when it's warm and work pressure points out a bit. Bake it again and again until it's right. Now, you must try them to see if the fit works. Although the u foam stuff molds to your foot, the boot might not work in some areas. I'd at least try them on. What sold me was the customized fit you can get after baking them and that you can bake them over and over. Guy at the LHS I bought them from has them, says he would never skate in another skate as long as he can get another pair of Reloadeds when his wear out. He told me that he baked it and then went to skate on it. Kind of hated it and went back to his old skates for games. He practiced in his U+ Pros 2 more times and again went back to his old skates for a game. Then he baked them again, took them to practice again and they were better. He told me that after baking them a 2nd time they just got better and better each time he put them on. Finally it was just love. I know everyone is different but I can feel the softness of it on my feet. Ultimately what he told me and what people here will say is too true. You must wear the skate and when you find the right one, you'll know it. You should keep options open, try the U+ Pro, try Bauer Skates, try some Grafs, try some Easton and Reeboks, try everything you can in your price range. One will most definitely have a better feel than the others. Do note that the skates at the shop will not be comfortable the first time. Walk in them a bit and get a feel. When you feel secure and comfortable on them it's right for you.

The Supreme Ones are so new and so expensive that only a few NHL Pros have tried them and they likely get them free. I don't see any reviews/reports about them. Maybe someone has some info but I've never even seen them up close.
As long as you are not a Reebok/CCM employee... this review definitely sways me a bit.

Old
03-02-2010, 07:40 PM
cupcrazyman
In Shanny We Trust

i was going to ask a similar question.the only difference i will use mine once a week for public skating with the kids.

its the same as buying a pair of shoes ,try them on first.

cupcrazyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 07:51 PM
cmdrdredd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webernaut View Post
As long as you are not a Reebok/CCM employee... this review definitely sways me a bit.
LOL nah, I had some Bauers before my CCMs. I decided to go out and get myself a real pair of high end skates. The U+ Pro Reloaded was $399 on sale from $579 and you get a free CCM CL Stick. Some people don't like the stick, I haven't handled one yet myself but hey it was a good deal.

The guy at the LHS who has them and really loved them seemed very pleased and I figured 2 things from that. First, his skill is pretty far above my level and if he's happy with the performance and fit then it can work for me if they are comfy which they are now after I adjusted my laces. Second, he has the opportunity to try every skate on the market for himself when they come in. He could also place an order for anything. Since he decided the U+ Pros were a good choice I feel confident that I made a good decision. Man I tell ya though, try everything. Don't go to the store thinking "I'm gonna get THAT skate cause this dude on the internet says it's the best thing since the first time I ate Filet Mignon". Really go with an open mind, even if the skate isn't the coolest wizbang slick thing out there, try it and you might find something. Graf skates for instance aren't really fancy, no zoom patterns on the boot, no crazy composite carbon fiber titanium re-enforced quarter, no dura super-duper thermoform memory foam, no fancy ultralight super deluxe runner. However, they work for a lot of skaters and are very high quality. Some people change the holders to like a TUUK LS2 but the boots are a good fit for many. Just because it doesn't look fancy and expensive, doesn't mean it's bad.

Last edited by cmdrdredd: 03-02-2010 at 08:05 PM.
Old
03-02-2010, 07:52 PM
cmdrdredd

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcrazyman View Post
i was going to ask a similar question.the only difference i will use mine once a week for public skating with the kids.

its the same as buying a pair of shoes ,try them on first.
For that I would not really look at high end skates. Public skates don't put the same stress on the boot as hockey does so you might be wasting all the stiffness. Unless you have loads of cash to spare, in that cash share with the group

Old
03-02-2010, 08:44 PM
Webernaut

Holy ****ing thread jack, Batman!

Anyway, considering pro stock stuff too. Pretty much whatever I can find in my size if I go that route. Not sure though. Don't know too much about pro stock skates minus being stiffer and double stitched.

Old
03-02-2010, 08:56 PM
cmdrdredd

I've no experience on pro stock. If you really have money to spend, you can get each foot sized up and accurately measured and have a company make custom boots for you. That way if one foot is a bit wider or longer you can get quarter sizes. So if say you wear a 7.5 but one foot feels cramped you can get a 7.75 done in a custom. All kinds of options, but price jumps drasticly. The real problem is you need an LHS that is willing to spend time with you and will work with you to find something that works.

Old
03-02-2010, 09:24 PM
thedonger

vCash: 50
Quote:
Holy ****ing thread jack, Batman!

Anyway, considering pro stock stuff too. Pretty much whatever I can find in my size if I go that route. Not sure though. Don't know too much about pro stock skates minus being stiffer and double stitched.
if you're not going to try the skates on first, you should probably not even consider pro stock skates. remember, those are usually made for another person's foot, so fit-wise, you never really know what you're gonna get.

thedonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 08:18 PM
cmdrdredd

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedonger View Post
if you're not going to try the skates on first, you should probably not even consider pro stock skates. remember, those are usually made for another person's foot, so fit-wise, you never really know what you're gonna get.
That's true. I was thinking today and I got a big question mark over my head so to speak...

If one does not have an LHS to size up and try on skates, how does he or she get the skates sharpened once they arrive from an online order? Send the runners out every time?

Old
03-06-2010, 06:12 PM
Webernaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
That's true. I was thinking today and I got a big question mark over my head so to speak...

If one does not have an LHS to size up and try on skates, how does he or she get the skates sharpened once they arrive from an online order? Send the runners out every time?
You'd send in the steel for sharpening and have two sets or so. Rotate them out.

FTR, I have a skate shop near me. I happened to pop in and they had just gotten a shipment of CCM skates (!!!!) which was amazing. I tried on a pair of U+ Pro Reloaded skates in 10D and feel in LOVE <3. I am about to bake them at my house. Wish me luck, don't want to turn them to mush...

Old
03-06-2010, 06:31 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Height: 6'3
Weight: 240 LBS
Shoe Size: 11.0 D (US)
Position: LW/C
Frequency of Play: 4-6 days a week (8 to 10 hours on the ice)

I currently play in a pair of CCM Pro Tacks. I wouldn't go so far to say that I love these skates. I broke the boot on my older Bauers so a friend of mine hooked it up with a slightly used pair to "get me by". A year later I am still in them so it's time for a change. I wear dress socks and recently tried barefoot though I am going back to dress socks most likely, if that changes anything. Obviously I'm a pretty good sized guy which translates to me shredding boots to pieces. I am considering going pro stock if I can find a pair. Open to pretty much all brands. I have look at the CCM U+ Pros but have heard mixed reviews. At first glance, I like the Supreme One skate from Bauer but the price tag is a bit disgusting (though I may go for it). Anyway, any advice would be nice.
Hmmm big fella like me (6ft 4in 245lbs here). I can honestly say you will lose all skate battles simply because of the physics involved.

Every pair of skates I have had to replace all did the same thing ... the heel seperated from the boot on one side from the stresses of turning tightly while playing.

3 pair of CCM tacks (80s and 90s era) 2 pair of Bauer Supreme 3000s one of which after being hit in the blade holder with a very hard pass the fabric of the skate actually popped out almost a quarter length of the boot from the glued on soul.

I have been using the 2003 Bauer Vapors which I bought in 2004 and bought another pair just like them as a closeout sale last year.

I have not used any NEW fully composite skates as I fear them honestly in the durability department. I know someone on here will dispute that but most will be honest and state that you need new ones about every 4 years or so because they do deteriorate.

Now ... a guy I played with last summer on our men's league team wore an RBK 5 skate that had heel seperation issues because he was 6ft 8in and about 285lbs.

I was told by my friend who owns a hockey shop here that because of my size and weight to make sure I put in the extra $100 to get the better end skate when shopping for a composite skate. he explained that many mid model skates have more fiberglas than carbon composite and do not last as long because of it if you are big.

Most people are smaller than us so it isn't an issue and their mid model skates have done them well.

We big guys do not get that luxury and skates are an issue so good luck to you sir.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 09:37 PM
jsykes

One thing you can consider is a full custom. I know with Bauer its not a large upgrade, but then you can get things done like double stitching, reinforced eyelets, extra stiffness or padding in the boot, even going as far as substituting the old white plastic sole for the composite if you do not believe the composite will hold up.

Talk to a good dealer and discuss the options and you can certainly find a new skate with the latest features, but get it done in a way that should last a long time for you.

jsykes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 10:06 PM
thedonger

vCash: 50
Quote:
You'd send in the steel for sharpening and have two sets or so. Rotate them out.

FTR, I have a skate shop near me. I happened to pop in and they had just gotten a shipment of CCM skates (!!!!) which was amazing. I tried on a pair of U+ Pro Reloaded skates in 10D and feel in LOVE <3. I am about to bake them at my house. Wish me luck, don't want to turn them to mush...
congrats on the skates...BUT....your shop doesn't have a skate oven??? usually baking is included at lhs's when buying skates from them, as many times as needed.

thedonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 03:22 PM
cmdrdredd

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedonger View Post
congrats on the skates...BUT....your shop doesn't have a skate oven??? usually baking is included at lhs's when buying skates from them, as many times as needed.
beat me to it. Yeah the LHS "should" have a skate oven. I guess not all.