HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

#65 - 03.06.2010 | New York Rangers @ Washington Capitals | 7:00 PM - MSG PLUS (HD)

Old
03-06-2010, 08:33 PM
SomebodySaveKreider

vCash: 500
Couldn't believe that call on Gaborik, especially that late in the game.

Then I remembered Bill McCreary was officiating.

Dubinsky just kinda imploded at the end of the game too.

At least Auld was good. It just was one of those games where the lack of skill in the Top 6 was glaringly obvious.

Btw, is Wade Redden still with the team?

SomebodySaveKreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 08:35 PM
jniklast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisYearsModel View Post
Blah blah blah Micheletti. The Rangers simply did not threaten, It was a relaxing shutout for Theodore. No traffic, no rebounds.....another embarrassing performanceBEFORE idiot McCreary finished us off with 2 silly soft penalties. You watch the refs protect Crosby, and see that weak-ass crap called on Gaborik and you know all you need to.
Seriously, you just don't call penalties like that in the last five minutes. They might have been penalties if you go exactly by the rules, but like 8 out of every 10 times they aren't called, and it's absolutely ridiculous to call two of those in the last five minutes when the game is on the line.
Not that it would have made any difference though. Today the Rangers could've played another 60 minutes and they wouldn't have scored.

jniklast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 08:37 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Yeah, that we should have SOLD at the deadline.
How can you justify selling when you are in 9th place at the trade deadline to upper management? Yeah we're tied for the 8th spot but we are going to close up shop so we can add a couple of 2nd round picks that might pan out in 3 or 4 years. It's sheer economics. Team makes the playoffs, team makes more money. It's as simple as that, even if they only play 2 more home games. It a business. Business want to make more money.

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 08:44 PM
DoTheBlue
Off Season Blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmox View Post
eh, one less point.
Yup. My bad.

DoTheBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 08:52 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
How can you justify selling when you are in 9th place at the trade deadline to upper management? Yeah we're tied for the 8th spot but we are going to close up shop so we can add a couple of 2nd round picks that might pan out in 3 or 4 years. It's sheer economics. Team makes the playoffs, team makes more money. It's as simple as that, even if they only play 2 more home games. It a business. Business want to make more money.
Please. Good businesses have solid long-term planning.

The Rangers are profitable even in losing years given their TV contract, ticket sales and concessions.

However, if they build a team that can win the Cup rather than simply host two losing games in an ignominious first round exit (which, by the way, assumes they even MAKE the POs - and I think it's MUCH more likely that they'll finish in 9th or 10th with a pick in the 10 to 14 range)... Then, THEN, they get round after round of more TV, ticket and concession revenues. Not to mention the huge uptick in jersey/hat/etc. sales AND an overall increase in revenues due to the improvement in overall interest in hockey (remember the NHL actually LEADING SoprtsCenter in '94?).

And of course a much improved chance of doing the same thing all over again the following year...

BrooklynRangersFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 08:54 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

I didnt think we were all that bad...Washington didn't get all that many quality scoring chances (neither did we), they just had a bit more than we did, which is to be expected.

Drury played a great game, as did Anisimov. Jokinen sucked, Redden was absolutely horrendous, as was Gilroy. and Auld had a great game.

really, who here actually thought we would keep it within 2 goals? I sure as hell didn't.

Im not all that upset with the way we played. They are just WORLDS better than us, and just about every other team in the East.

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 08:55 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

heres my question for you guys. Can you name me 3 teams, in the history of sports, that have been tied for a playoff spot going into a trade deadline, that were sellers?

give me 3.

anyone?

that's what I thought.

Old
03-06-2010, 09:04 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Same ****. Different day.

Just wanted to say, Wade Redden is the worst NHL player I've ever seen. He does not belong in this league. If he was making league minimum, he'd still be overpaid. He just PRETENDS he's playing. He just gets to the AREA of the play. He never does ANYTHING. Such a putrid effort. He literally half-***** every single play, just REACHING for a puck that he clearly can't get to just to make it look like he's trying to do something. He is an absolute joke. When he does get the puck, he either just flips it around the boards or out of the zone right back to the other team. He is such a slow-thinker and has zero physical ability to make up for it. There's a pretty good chance that little girl in the Jokinen gif could muscle him off a puck. I am disgusted that he still wears the NYR jersey. Absolutely disgusted. Rozsival at his worst during his long slump was never this bad. Please get him off this team. He does not do one single thing well or even average. I would rather see AARON VOROS playing defense for us. God damnit.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 09:07 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Please. Good businesses have solid long-term planning.

The Rangers are profitable even in losing years given their TV contract, ticket sales and concessions.

However, if they build a team that can win the Cup rather than simply host two losing games in an ignominious first round exit (which, by the way, assumes they even MAKE the POs - and I think it's MUCH more likely that they'll finish in 9th or 10th with a pick in the 10 to 14 range)... Then, THEN, they get round after round of more TV, ticket and concession revenues. Not to mention the huge uptick in jersey/hat/etc. sales AND an overall increase in revenues due to the improvement in overall interest in hockey (remember the NHL actually LEADING SoprtsCenter in '94?).

And of course a much improved chance of doing the same thing all over again the following year...
So the Rangers add a couple extra 2nd round picks IF they are able to unload Jokinen and Prospal. Even if they did trade both those guys, do you really think that teams like Florida, the Islanders, Carolina, Toronto, Edmonton, and Columbus will leap-frog ahead of the Rangers, points wise? The Rangers would more then likely pikc in the 6 to 10 spot, even if they sold out.

Do you think whoever has the #1 or #2 pick is going to trade Hall or Seguin? After the top 3 really in this draft is a pretty level playing field for the first half of round #1. The Rangers have picked in the top 5 recently in the draft, and look how that turned out.

Those extra 2nd's might pan out to be something, a few years down the road, but its a crap shoot.

No team in there right mind would sell being in 9th place. Whether its what the fans might or might not want.

Old
03-06-2010, 09:08 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelZottoFutureNorris View Post

Just wanted to say, Wade Redden is the worst NHL player I've ever seen. He does not belong in this league. If he was making league minimum, he'd still be overpaid. He just PRETENDS he's playing. He just gets to the AREA of the play. He never does ANYTHING. Such a putrid effort. He literally half-***** every single play, just REACHING for a puck that he clearly can't get to just to make it look like he's trying to do something. He is an absolute joke. When he does get the puck, he either just flips it around the boards or out of the zone right back to the other team. He is such a slow-thinker and has zero physical ability to make up for it. There's a pretty good chance that little girl in the Jokinen gif could muscle him off a puck. I am disgusted that he still wears the NYR jersey. Absolutely disgusted. Rozsival at his worst during his long slump was never this bad. Please get him off this team. He does not do one single thing well or even average. I would rather see AARON VOROS playing defense for us. God damnit.
I think youre overdoing it a bid.

Redden is a pretty decent #6 defenseman. problem is he's what...like the 4th or 5th highest paid defenseman in the league? His contract is prohibiting us from getting a #1 defenseman or a #1 center or 2 2nd line players...etc.

Waiving Wade Redden, OR giving his agent permission to facilitate a trade to any team, should be the way to go.

If anyone would take on his contract, I would be more than happy to give up a 5th rounder.

Old
03-06-2010, 09:12 PM
redfzn

Quote:

this.

redfzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 09:15 PM
darko

Quote:
The Rangers would more then likely pikc in the 6 to 10 spot, even if they sold out.
Probably closer to 6 than 10. Selling would've been a bad move though. You dont sell if you are tied for last playoff spot, it's simple as that.

I can see us drafting in 10-15 range now. And hopefully draft Mikael Granlund.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
So the Rangers add a couple extra 2nd round picks IF they are able to unload Jokinen and Prospal. Even if they did trade both those guys, do you really think that teams like Florida, the Islanders, Carolina, Toronto, Edmonton, and Columbus will leap-frog ahead of the Rangers, points wise? The Rangers would more then likely pikc in the 6 to 10 spot, even if they sold out.

Do you think whoever has the #1 or #2 pick is going to trade Hall or Seguin? After the top 3 really in this draft is a pretty level playing field for the first half of round #1. The Rangers have picked in the top 5 recently in the draft, and look how that turned out.

Those extra 2nd's might pan out to be something, a few years down the road, but its a crap shoot.

No team in there right mind would sell being in 9th place. Whether its what the fans might or might not want.
Uh, so assuming they get the MINIMUM return for Prospal et. al., don't sink in the standings, etc... they finish in 10th with an extra pick or two rather than in 9th with no extra picks. Still not seeing your argument.

Old
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
I think youre overdoing it a bid.

Redden is a pretty decent #6 defenseman. problem is he's what...like the 4th or 5th highest paid defenseman in the league? His contract is prohibiting us from getting a #1 defenseman or a #1 center or 2 2nd line players...etc.

Waiving Wade Redden, OR giving his agent permission to facilitate a trade to any team, should be the way to go.

If anyone would take on his contract, I would be more than happy to give up a 5th rounder.
In a word: no.

I am not overdoing it one bit. Wade Redden is NOT a "pretty decent #6" - I watched the game tonight. I wasn't thinking about his salary. He was absolute dog *****. He's like this on MOST nights. Every once in a while he'll be unnoticeable and we'll all be so thrilled that he wasn't an absolute liability. These shouldn't be the expectations for a professional athlete.

Tell me one thing the NYR Wade Redden does well. If you can, then you can say he's a "pretty decent #6." Please. One thing. Don't even think about saying "good first pass" because he hasn't made one in months. His only play with the puck is chipping it around the boards and hoping it gets out or flipping it up in the air out of the zone or shooting it straight up the wall hoping it hits someone and tips into the offensive zone so it's not an icing. He get out-muscled by literally every single player he's matched against, even the little guys. He doesn't block shots at an even average level. He doesn't tie up a guy in front of the net. He doesn't score. He doesn't even SKATE well. The guy is FINISHED.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 09:19 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Uh, so assuming they get the MINIMUM return for Prospal et. al., don't sink in the standings, etc... they finish in 10th with an extra pick or two rather than in 9th with no extra picks. Still not seeing your argument.
I'm still not seeing your arguement why any GM in their right mights would sell when they are tied for 8th place at the trade deadline. An extra pick in the 2nd and picking 4 spots or so higher will not turn this team around for the 2010-11 season or any subsequent seasons as well.

Old
03-06-2010, 09:19 PM
darko

Quote:

How do you tell Gaborik and Lundqvist that you are selling off some of your assets in order to get a higher draft pick despite being tied for last playoff spot?

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 09:24 PM
NCRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
heres my question for you guys. Can you name me 3 teams, in the history of sports, that have been tied for a playoff spot going into a trade deadline, that were sellers?

give me 3.

anyone?

that's what I thought.

The only team I remember doing something like that was the Chicago White Sox in the early 90's. They were supposed to be bad, but were only 3 1/2 games out at the All-Star break, and their owner (Reinsdorf) sold off all of their assets.

NCRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 09:25 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
I'm still not seeing your arguement why any GM in their right mights would sell when they are tied for 8th place at the trade deadline. An extra pick in the 2nd and picking 4 spots or so higher will not turn this team around for the 2010-11 season or any subsequent seasons as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
How do you tell Gaborik and Lundqvist that you are selling off some of your assets in order to get a higher draft pick despite being tied for last playoff spot?
A good GM analyzes his own team honestly and accurately as he can.

Old
03-06-2010, 09:28 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
A good GM analyzes his own team honestly and accurately as he can.
And that is why he bought before the Olympics and added Jokinen. Not only would he help the team make the playoffs this season, but was an expiring contract and got rid of a bad contract in return. More time for that player to make an impact on the team and win more games, instead of waiting for the deadline to come and then making a move, especially when the price for players goes up when there is more buyers then sellers.

Old
03-06-2010, 09:33 PM
silverfish
Comfortably Numb

I have to agree with the guy hardcore bashing Redden right now.

He was horrific tonight, really looks like he doesn't give two ***** out there. Avery needs to fight him in practice Malik style or something.

Don't worry, he's only on the books for 4 more seasons after this one

silverfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 09:41 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

tonite was the latest reminder of why this team is not making the playoffs this year and why it would have been a good idea to sell off what assets we have and gather even 2 additional 2nd round picks which could have been packaged to move up in the first round or perhaps added to a rozy to get him moved.

sick of the same ole same ole yet nooooooooooooo.... we cant sell any fa vets for picks. that would be unheard of unless you are a realist and understand this team is not making the playoffs this year. but lets all be in denial, like slats and say were still in it an any thing can happen when we get in..... yeah lets pretend we can catch fire.

i honestly see no reason to be excited about this team right now. in fact, our superstar goalie is beginning to show signs that losing is wearing him down. i see no reason to expect anything different since weve done nothing different, we made no moves at the deadline and were still staring at the 19 million dollars of non performing contracts still here.

god help this organization if we dont make radical changes before next fall.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 09:41 PM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

Gabs looked very sloppy as well... Can't really blame him though, but some of his passes were pretty careless.

Hopefully he'll have a better game against BUF.

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 09:46 PM
KRM

Missed the game because I had trouble with my internet connection, so I watched Toronto @ Ottawa instead and all I can say is that man do I ever miss Orr...

KRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 09:49 PM
TomLaidlaw

Quote:
In a word: no.

I am not overdoing it one bit. Wade Redden is NOT a "pretty decent #6" - I watched the game tonight. I wasn't thinking about his salary. He was absolute dog *****. He's like this on MOST nights. Every once in a while he'll be unnoticeable and we'll all be so thrilled that he wasn't an absolute liability. These shouldn't be the expectations for a professional athlete.

Tell me one thing the NYR Wade Redden does well. If you can, then you can say he's a "pretty decent #6." Please. One thing. Don't even think about saying "good first pass" because he hasn't made one in months. His only play with the puck is chipping it around the boards and hoping it gets out or flipping it up in the air out of the zone or shooting it straight up the wall hoping it hits someone and tips into the offensive zone so it's not an icing. He get out-muscled by literally every single player he's matched against, even the little guys. He doesn't block shots at an even average level. He doesn't tie up a guy in front of the net. He doesn't score. He doesn't even SKATE well. The guy is FINISHED.
Much like grief, there are stages to watching Wade Redden. You are currently in the anger stage. Next is bargaining. Then depression, and finally acceptance. Take it from me, once you get to acceptance, watching Redden play is actually comical and entertaining.

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 09:50 PM
XLJ

I kind of expected them to play this way this is kind of the way the whole season has been going. They hold Washington to 2 goals with there backup goaltender but couldn't score. The best line was the 4th line not a good sign. Most of the forwards were not very good tonight.

XLJ is offline   Reply With Quote