HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Horrible eye injury to teammate.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-05-2010, 03:00 PM
  #51
stick9
Registered User
 
stick9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 9,941
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roccosvan View Post
Satus update today:

His surgery went well, they were able to save his eyeball and work with it. The procedure basically aimed to put everything back into place, to reform the shape of his normal eyeball. The problem was not a cut in the eye (technically the cut was just below), but the impact of the blade on the eyeball.

Now it will heal 7-10 days before he needs a second surgery. He will get more surgeries in the next few months.

Thanks for the support everyone. All the comments about lower level hockey are absolutely true, everytime I go to a 'friendly' drop in skate there is at least one cowboy there who thinks Mike Gillis is upstairs watching.
First, glad to hear your buddy is on the mend. Scary stuff, for sure.

Me a buddy have the same saying. We're from MA so we use Harry Sinden. That's one of the biggest reason why I stopped playing in adult leagues. Too many hero's on ice. I've been pretty lucky. I've been able to hook up with a few really good groups of guys for pick up.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 03:37 PM
  #52
rinkrat22
Registered User
 
rinkrat22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 570
vCash: 500
good news about your buddy... hope the good luck streak continues

rinkrat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 03:37 PM
  #53
PSUJorge
Registered User
 
PSUJorge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: State College, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 424
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rinkrat22 View Post
it costs taxpayer money whether they scrape you off the road or transport you to the hospital for "possible" injuries.
Well actually silly, if you live, then you live to pay for it. But I suppose that sets up "what if" you don't have insurance. This could go on a while. We should probably agree we aren't going to get anywhere on this issue.

PSUJorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 03:54 PM
  #54
rinkrat22
Registered User
 
rinkrat22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 570
vCash: 500
yes it could go on forever. where I live, the city that I work for the cost for ems service to the injured or sick is very minor, in relation to the actual cost of the service. taxes and insurance and what not. I could imagine we can go back and forth on tomato... tomatO.

Also I believe your insurance is getting billed whether you live or die, now if they pay that's another argument altogether.

What do I know though, I am just an uneducated firefighter, total knuckle dragger. Silly.

rinkrat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 06:55 PM
  #55
Hockeyfan68
Registered User
 
Hockeyfan68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lewiston, ME USA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,418
vCash: 500
I'm happy to hear that his surgery/ies went well and that he should recover from this somewhat good enough to be somewhat normal. Time will tell I suppose.

Hockey is scary to play for sure .... literally anything can happen at any time no matter what you are wearing for protection.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 08:24 AM
  #56
cmdrdredd
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 145
vCash: 500
On the whole debate on equipment. The leagues and sanctioning bodies want the game to be safe for the players of course. If you ask them it's always a concern. Many of them do understand the idea of comfort for many people and that neck guards and cages might not be for everyone. However, if there is enough of one type of injury in a season or given length of time they might mandate certain regulations. It's up to the league what rules or guidelines they want to impose. If you do not like those regulations then you are free to not play. That's your choice. I'm not here to tell you whether one way is better, but you guys are getting political on this subject. My taxes aren't paying your medical bills when you get a busted up face from a puck. That's on you. What I am saying is that safety is always a concern for players in any type of league. That's why they won't let you go out there without pads. That's why they mandated helmets after years of none. If there is a sudden mandate that all players who are under a certain level will be required to wear neck guards to help prevent unnecessary injury to that area of the body, would you stop playing because you think you can't play in one?

What we should focus on more here is that players on the ice are MORE AWARE of what they are doing. There's absolutely no reason to be waving your stick around like you're in a baton twirling class, or swinging a baseball bat. I think there should be at least a skills test to see if someone can control themselves enough to not be a liability to everyone else on the ice. That's just me. If you can't keep your stick down, you can't stop when you need to, then I honestly would not want to be playing with you.

cmdrdredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 10:11 AM
  #57
Gino 14
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 810
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
If you can't keep your stick down, you can't stop when you need to, then I honestly would not want to be playing with you.
Then you shouldn't. It doesn't get any simpler.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 10:42 AM
  #58
RaoulDuke2k
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 78
vCash: 500
I have a friend that plays with a Visor, and I occasionally urge him to use the cage for the obvious reasons. That said, I wouldn't tell a random person to use one - it's their choice of course.

Personally, I think if you are an adult with a family - or just people relying on you - you should use all the precautions to guard from injury. The decision impacts others and it's foolish to risk impairment (or even a whopper dental bill) for the negligable advantages of going without a cage. At the rec. level, is a cage really going ruin your skill set?

Don't get me wrong - I love not wearing one, but the game moves fast and you never know what might happen.

RaoulDuke2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 12:56 PM
  #59
cmdrdredd
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 145
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino 14 View Post
Then you shouldn't. It doesn't get any simpler.
Well, the fact of the matter is you have to take a damn class and learn to skate properly as it pertains to hockey. Learn how to control yourself out there. If not you won't have fun anyway because guys I know will make it rough on you by telling you to watch it every few minutes. Also, I make it a point to not pass to people who are blatantly uncontrolled.

There's only a few guys I've ever seen who've really made us gang up on them in this way. Finally they break down and ask us one on one what's up and I tell them calmly how I feel. I offer to go to a skills class with them and even offer to buy them a beer after the class. I'm not interested in creating enemies, but I will let people know how I feel about dangerous actions out there.

I think some skills are vital to safety. It's important and I simply want everyone I play with or against to understand that some actions can be dangerous and potentially life threatening. If they cannot accept that then I don't feel they should be out there and I'll let them know it.

cmdrdredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 06:10 PM
  #60
Hockeyfan68
Registered User
 
Hockeyfan68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lewiston, ME USA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,418
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post

What we should focus on more here is that players on the ice are MORE AWARE of what they are doing. There's absolutely no reason to be waving your stick around like you're in a baton twirling class, or swinging a baseball bat. I think there should be at least a skills test to see if someone can control themselves enough to not be a liability to everyone else on the ice. That's just me. If you can't keep your stick down, you can't stop when you need to, then I honestly would not want to be playing with you.
I agree with this whole heartedly ... when I backcheck a Jamook (sorry that is my derrogatory name for the Funzanoon you are discussing, a Funzanoon being a guy who farts in the tub and bites the bubbles [Caddy Shack II reference]) I make sure I have his stick in check visually and keep my face in a protected position because they always do the same thing and start a wrestling match with their stick up. They are trying to strong arm me off the puck but they always forget to let go of their stick because they are newbs at hockey and always have both hands on it for everything they do on the ice. They cannot even take a pass with one hand yet!

It drives me crazy and is something that urks me a lot when playing.

Some of these guys like that are who I typed about in here already earlier this week ... I just toe drag the puck and they lose their footing and slam into the boards because if I don't they slam into me because they can't stop.

Look I do not care if a guy sucks or is just learning but they need to know their limits and being the rough and tough NHL emulated player style is stupid and bad rink ettiquette. LEARN TO PLAY FIRST BEFORE ACTUALLY PLAYING ALL OUT. Not only are you a danger to others but to yourself as well.

WATCH THE GUYS WHO CAN PLAY OKAY ..... THEY DON'T DO LIKE YOU DO MR. BEGINNER.

Playing rough will not make you any friends to begin with and add on that you do not know what you are doing it just pisses people off in the wrong way. YOU'RE NOT IN A TOURNEY ON A TRAVEL TEAM .... IT'S PICKUP OR SHINNY. CHILL THE FRICK OUT!

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 06:27 PM
  #61
PSUJorge
Registered User
 
PSUJorge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: State College, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 424
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rinkrat22 View Post
yes it could go on forever. where I live, the city that I work for the cost for ems service to the injured or sick is very minor, in relation to the actual cost of the service. taxes and insurance and what not. I could imagine we can go back and forth on tomato... tomatO.

Also I believe your insurance is getting billed whether you live or die, now if they pay that's another argument altogether.

What do I know though, I am just an uneducated firefighter, total knuckle dragger. Silly.
I wasn't trying to demean you by saying "silly" just trying to be lighthearted. Sorry, if I offended you with the comment.

PSUJorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 08:00 PM
  #62
cmdrdredd
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 145
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
I agree with this whole heartedly ... when I backcheck a Jamook (sorry that is my derrogatory name for the Funzanoon you are discussing, a Funzanoon being a guy who farts in the tub and bites the bubbles [Caddy Shack II reference]) I make sure I have his stick in check visually and keep my face in a protected position because they always do the same thing and start a wrestling match with their stick up. They are trying to strong arm me off the puck but they always forget to let go of their stick because they are newbs at hockey and always have both hands on it for everything they do on the ice. They cannot even take a pass with one hand yet!

It drives me crazy and is something that urks me a lot when playing.

Some of these guys like that are who I typed about in here already earlier this week ... I just toe drag the puck and they lose their footing and slam into the boards because if I don't they slam into me because they can't stop.

Look I do not care if a guy sucks or is just learning but they need to know their limits and being the rough and tough NHL emulated player style is stupid and bad rink ettiquette. LEARN TO PLAY FIRST BEFORE ACTUALLY PLAYING ALL OUT. Not only are you a danger to others but to yourself as well.

WATCH THE GUYS WHO CAN PLAY OKAY ..... THEY DON'T DO LIKE YOU DO MR. BEGINNER.

Playing rough will not make you any friends to begin with and add on that you do not know what you are doing it just pisses people off in the wrong way. YOU'RE NOT IN A TOURNEY ON A TRAVEL TEAM .... IT'S PICKUP OR SHINNY. CHILL THE FRICK OUT!


Thanks for the backup here. All in all I think we can agree it's dangerous, more so with uncontrolled persons on the rink. Like I said above, if someone is playing dangerously I'll tell them and keep telling them. I'll tell them about a skills clinic or class they can take, offer to join them at the class and buy them a beer afterwards too. I want everyone to be safe.

This thread is a good lesson. I'm glad the outcome of the injury is positive. We should never forget that we're playing with others, do our part to keep the game safe and enjoyable for all.

cmdrdredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 08:58 PM
  #63
stick9
Registered User
 
stick9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 9,941
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaoulDuke2k View Post
I have a friend that plays with a Visor, and I occasionally urge him to use the cage for the obvious reasons. That said, I wouldn't tell a random person to use one - it's their choice of course.

Personally, I think if you are an adult with a family - or just people relying on you - you should use all the precautions to guard from injury. The decision impacts others and it's foolish to risk impairment (or even a whopper dental bill) for the negligable advantages of going without a cage. At the rec. level, is a cage really going ruin your skill set?

Don't get me wrong - I love not wearing one, but the game moves fast and you never know what might happen.
I think it's kind of funny that you urge your buddy to wear a cage and talk about there advantages when you yourself don't wear one.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 10:18 PM
  #64
Tikkanen
Pest
 
Tikkanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Yorba Linda
Country: United States
Posts: 6,308
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post


Thanks for the backup here. All in all I think we can agree it's dangerous, more so with uncontrolled persons on the rink. Like I said above, if someone is playing dangerously I'll tell them and keep telling them. I'll tell them about a skills clinic or class they can take, offer to join them at the class and buy them a beer afterwards too. I want everyone to be safe.

This thread is a good lesson. I'm glad the outcome of the injury is positive. We should never forget that we're playing with others, do our part to keep the game safe and enjoyable for all.
I think an area of concern for me is the better players who have huge cannons-except they either have no clue where it's going or they try to pick corners from above the circles. I agree that the new guys can wield their sticks like they're auditioning for Medieval Times but I don't play in those leagues so it's not a concern. The only reason I wore a cage at one time is because I'm afraid of the slapshot to the grill. It's not only a skill but it's a mental part of the game that no longer matters-shooting low to get rebounds. You don't have to pick corners to score a goal and when one of your teammates is screening the goalie show some respect and learn how to shoot the puck properly. I play with a few guys that when I see them wind up for a slap shot I just go to the opposite boards and wait for the puck that bounces high off the glass about 3 feet wide of the goalie. Hit the net and keep it low!

Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 04:09 AM
  #65
sherwood sniper
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 63
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaBacon View Post
Sucks about your buddy, hope his eye is good and all.

How come guys in cages or visors get hit in the face so much? Not talking about your buddy here just in general. Everybody who points out it is dumb to not have face protection always has storied about being hit in the face a lot. I havnt worn face protection since leaving Juniors like 7-8 years ago and have been hit like twice maybe three times. Out of those three times i did have to get stitched once on my brow though. I just dont see any 'bad' injuries to the guys that dont wear face protection. I have seen broken arms, broken legs, ankles, collar bones, broken ribs, dislocated shoulders, blown knees and i have seen one guy break his neck at shinny. (he is fine now and plays).

Besides a cut or two i have not seen these facial injuries that all. Im not saying everyone should take their facial protection off. whatever you feel comfortable wearing is what you should wear. It just seems that it gets made out that if you dont you will lose an eye, lose some teeth etc etc. Sure there is a chance it will happen as there is a chance you will break something or have your throat cut. I still dont see too many people wearing neck guards. Its hockey, its a dangerous sport. Whether you get high sticked or break a limb or get cut by skate is all the same in the end. You are hurt. Saying someone is dumb for not wearing facial protection is just as ignorant as saying someone is a kitten for wearing facial protection.

Maybe if i played a lower level i would wear facial protection, it seems everyone is getting their cages/visors rattled all the time at the lower levels.

PS This "i dont get payed to play" statement is kinda dumb. The majority of adults here probably make more then minor pro guys and if you get hurt it doesnt matter if you work in an office or play hockey, you still cant work and do your job.
Love your post....

Personally I have a nickname for cages...I call them stick magnets. Every time I wear a cage, it's rattling from sticks. It also seems to me that people that wear cages also have less regard for were there stick is going cause they've never experienced a stick to the face. Hell look at youth hockey, sticks are everywhere. But that's my opinion.

As far a visors. I wont wear one. Maybe I have bad luck or something but while I played juniors I got more injury's because of the damn thing that it helped. It actually broke my nose on one occasion, lacerated my upper cheek on another resulting in stitches, and had sticks get caught in between the visor and my face.

The only time I have a problem with someone wearing a cage is if they are Mr. Tough Guy...If you're gonna be a D BAG.....don't hide behind your cage.

And If your not wearing a cage or shield in lower levels.. don't cry when you catch a stick to the face. And if ya do, smile cause you just got a new battle wound. Be proud you play a mans sport.

sherwood sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 08:29 AM
  #66
rinkrat22
Registered User
 
rinkrat22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 570
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
I think an area of concern for me is the better players who have huge cannons-except they either have no clue where it's going or they try to pick corners from above the circles. I agree that the new guys can wield their sticks like they're auditioning for Medieval Times but I don't play in those leagues so it's not a concern. The only reason I wore a cage at one time is because I'm afraid of the slapshot to the grill. It's not only a skill but it's a mental part of the game that no longer matters-shooting low to get rebounds. You don't have to pick corners to score a goal and when one of your teammates is screening the goalie show some respect and learn how to shoot the puck properly. I play with a few guys that when I see them wind up for a slap shot I just go to the opposite boards and wait for the puck that bounces high off the glass about 3 feet wide of the goalie. Hit the net and keep it low!
its not gonna be a highlight if you dont go top shelf, right? I couldnt agree more all the old guys (myself included) that I skate with always wonder why kids shoot high into traffic, its never getting to the net anyways. I remember a coach I had used to have us d men after practice shoot at the top of the net while it was lynig down. you had to hit the net with 5 shots in a row from the blue line before you could get off the ice. it sure taught you to shot low.

rinkrat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 08:37 AM
  #67
stick9
Registered User
 
stick9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 9,941
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaBacon View Post
Sucks about your buddy, hope his eye is good and all.

How come guys in cages or visors get hit in the face so much? Not talking about your buddy here just in general. Everybody who points out it is dumb to not have face protection always has storied about being hit in the face a lot. I havnt worn face protection since leaving Juniors like 7-8 years ago and have been hit like twice maybe three times. Out of those three times i did have to get stitched once on my brow though. I just dont see any 'bad' injuries to the guys that dont wear face protection. I have seen broken arms, broken legs, ankles, collar bones, broken ribs, dislocated shoulders, blown knees and i have seen one guy break his neck at shinny. (he is fine now and plays).

Besides a cut or two i have not seen these facial injuries that all. Im not saying everyone should take their facial protection off. whatever you feel comfortable wearing is what you should wear. It just seems that it gets made out that if you dont you will lose an eye, lose some teeth etc etc. Sure there is a chance it will happen as there is a chance you will break something or have your throat cut. I still dont see too many people wearing neck guards. Its hockey, its a dangerous sport. Whether you get high sticked or break a limb or get cut by skate is all the same in the end. You are hurt. Saying someone is dumb for not wearing facial protection is just as ignorant as saying someone is a kitten for wearing facial protection.

Maybe if i played a lower level i would wear facial protection, it seems everyone is getting their cages/visors rattled all the time at the lower levels.

PS This "i dont get payed to play" statement is kinda dumb. The majority of adults here probably make more then minor pro guys and if you get hurt it doesnt matter if you work in an office or play hockey, you still cant work and do your job.
Can't believe I missed this post.

Awesome point. I've gone face first into the dasher, relocating my nose and requiring surgery, but what cares me even more than that, is a skate to the neck. Do I wear a neck guard...nope and never once thought about it. Out of all people I play with I can only think of one guy who wears one. Yet most everyone is wearing something on their face whether it by a half shield or cage.


Last edited by stick9: 03-07-2010 at 08:47 AM.
stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 01:50 PM
  #68
Tikkanen
Pest
 
Tikkanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Yorba Linda
Country: United States
Posts: 6,308
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Tikkanen
If a rink mandated neck guards and cages would their league fees drop? I'd like to know from those of you who have ever ran a rink or known somebody who did. Are there any rinks out there who mandate equipment other than the normal stuff? I'd be interested to know if there is any cause and effect as far as cages, visors or nothing is worn. If not then it would prove the point of those of you who say you should be able to wear what you want after you turn 18. Seems like USA Hockey would look into some sort of experiment rink to rink. Same thing with mouthguards. For every guy that says wear them or else there is a picture of a guy who wore one and it has his tooth in it. There has to be injury statistics somewhere that would tell us hockey players if we are more safe if we wore a cage/neck guard/mouth guard/visor or just a helmet.

Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 03:14 PM
  #69
cmdrdredd
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 145
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
If a rink mandated neck guards and cages would their league fees drop? I'd like to know from those of you who have ever ran a rink or known somebody who did. Are there any rinks out there who mandate equipment other than the normal stuff? I'd be interested to know if there is any cause and effect as far as cages, visors or nothing is worn. If not then it would prove the point of those of you who say you should be able to wear what you want after you turn 18. Seems like USA Hockey would look into some sort of experiment rink to rink. Same thing with mouthguards. For every guy that says wear them or else there is a picture of a guy who wore one and it has his tooth in it. There has to be injury statistics somewhere that would tell us hockey players if we are more safe if we wore a cage/neck guard/mouth guard/visor or just a helmet.
Good question. If the game is made "safer" by requiring more safety equipment then shouldn't related liability costs go down and passed on to the players paying the fees? I'd think so, but I wonder if the insurance etc is the same either way.

cmdrdredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 08:19 PM
  #70
DogFoodEnforcer
Registered User
 
DogFoodEnforcer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 301
vCash: 500
good to hear that the surgey went well.

just got my "visors are for p*ssies " buddy on my team to put his visor on. a skate missed his face by inches today. after the game he admitted he is finally going to suck it up and slap a visor on for next game.

DogFoodEnforcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:50 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.