HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

#65 - 03.06.2010 | New York Rangers @ Washington Capitals | 7:00 PM - MSG PLUS (HD)

Old
03-06-2010, 10:06 PM
z1co80
The Incredible Hank

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLaidlaw View Post
Much like grief, there are stages to watching Wade Redden. You are currently in the anger stage. Next is bargaining. Then depression, and finally acceptance. Take it from me, once you get to acceptance, watching Redden play is actually comical and entertaining.

I have to do this after every game i see Dredden play

z1co80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 10:08 PM
NYRFAN218
Brass God

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by msg View Post
I kind of expected them to play this way this is kind of the way the whole season has been going. They hold Washington to 2 goals with there backup goaltender but couldn't score. The best line was the 4th line not a good sign. Most of the forwards were not very good tonight.
2-0 game, can't put the puck in the net, 4th line is the best line out there. Sounds like a Renney game to me.

NYRFAN218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 10:10 PM
Crease

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFAN218 View Post
2-0 game, can't put the puck in the net, 4th line is the best line out there. Sounds like a Renney game to me.
We're running out of coaches to fire.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 10:12 PM
poeman
Fixing Rangers PP

beyond embarrassing...Playoff hopes are done for.

I want taylor hall.

poeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 10:12 PM
NYRFAN218
Brass God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
We're running out of coaches to fire.
You would think that the GM would be the next to fall right? Not with the New York Rangers though, we'll just fire another coach and pretend that's the problem not the guy constructing the team.

NYRFAN218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 10:26 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelZottoFutureNorris View Post
In a word: no.

I am not overdoing it one bit. Wade Redden is NOT a "pretty decent #6" - I watched the game tonight. I wasn't thinking about his salary. He was absolute dog *****. He's like this on MOST nights. Every once in a while he'll be unnoticeable and we'll all be so thrilled that he wasn't an absolute liability. These shouldn't be the expectations for a professional athlete.

Tell me one thing the NYR Wade Redden does well. If you can, then you can say he's a "pretty decent #6." Please. One thing. Don't even think about saying "good first pass" because he hasn't made one in months. His only play with the puck is chipping it around the boards and hoping it gets out or flipping it up in the air out of the zone or shooting it straight up the wall hoping it hits someone and tips into the offensive zone so it's not an icing. He get out-muscled by literally every single player he's matched against, even the little guys. He doesn't block shots at an even average level. He doesn't tie up a guy in front of the net. He doesn't score. He doesn't even SKATE well. The guy is FINISHED.
When plays are coming in behidn the net, he does a superb job of tying up the opposition, and taking both him, and the other play out of the play, not usually a hit, but almost borderline interference (though they have the puck, so its fine)...hes probably the best on our team at this. he does a pretty good job on the boards, which most of our players actually struggle at, and hes got a good stick check. His biggest weakness comes in off the rush, and in open spaces of the ice. he's kind of weak when it comes to clearing the crease, and when it comes to knocking guys down when they are rushing at him.

People have a lot of hate for him, and rightfully so, but I still think hes a serviceable 3rd pairing defenseman on an average team. which is what we are.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 10:30 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
I have to agree with the guy hardcore bashing Redden right now.

He was horrific tonight, really looks like he doesn't give two ***** out there. Avery needs to fight him in practice Malik style or something.

Don't worry, he's only on the books for 4 more seasons after this one
he was terrible tonight, but he's not always this bad, he's had good games...hence why hes a 3rd pairing defenseman...nothing more.

Old
03-06-2010, 11:29 PM
Block More Shots

Not getting at least a point out of tonight's game makes tomorrow's game even more important. We're gonna need the W against Miller and co.

We've been playing better at home as of late, so hopefully we keep the hard work up.

Funny thing is that it seems like we've been scoring more without Gabby in the lineup.

Block More Shots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 12:31 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Apparently I didnt miss much

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 12:58 AM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
When plays are coming in behidn the net, he does a superb job of tying up the opposition, and taking both him, and the other play out of the play, not usually a hit, but almost borderline interference (though they have the puck, so its fine)...hes probably the best on our team at this. he does a pretty good job on the boards, which most of our players actually struggle at, and hes got a good stick check. His biggest weakness comes in off the rush, and in open spaces of the ice. he's kind of weak when it comes to clearing the crease, and when it comes to knocking guys down when they are rushing at him.

People have a lot of hate for him, and rightfully so, but I still think hes a serviceable 3rd pairing defenseman on an average team. which is what we are.
I guess we'll agree to disagree on what you said about him being the best at tying players up when a play is coming from behind the net. I just don't see that at all. Not gonna argue any further, but you don't think a Potter, or Sauer, or Sanguinetti are capable of bringing a better effort for the minutes Redden plays? I think there's no question about it. You may disagree, but the way I feel is that if any number of green rookies are capable of a better performance in most areas (physicality, passing, shooting, breaking up plays), then he isn't really a decent #6. In my honest opinion, (salary COMPLETELY aside), I really don't think he belongs in the NHL. He's seriously the WEAKEST d-man on the puck that I've seen since the dark ages of Rangers hockey. And opposing players carrying the puck routinely bump him away with ease.

And if we do bring the salary into the discussion (which has been beaten to death and is very obvious and futile to even dicuss so I usually avoid it), it just gets that much more ridiculous. This is truly insane, but if I had to spend 6.5 on either Wade Redden or Jason Strudwick, I'd HAVE to pick Strudwick. That's how dire this situation has become. At this point Strudwick's shooting and passing are AT LEAST on-par with Redden's and his physicality and toughness are better. Not to mention, he sticks up for his teammates and will clear a crease, AND even though he's not very "skilled," you can see Strudwick giving EFFORT most of the time he's out there. From where I'm sitting, more often than not it simply looks like Redden is only pretending to play hockey. He just gets to the area of the play and pretends he's giving a serious effort to steal the puck from the puck-carrier. He looks so nervous and indecisive. Has no idea what to do with the puck when he gets it and by the time he makes a decision, he has no options left and just fires it (hopefully) out to the other team in the neutral zone. What's sad is there are so many more things that bug me about him that I haven't even delved into yet. For example, who do you think would win a skills competition for WEAKEST shot? Gomez would be up there, but I think Redden takes the cake. He plays patty cake with it. I don't understand how a professional athlete can be so piss-poor in this many aspects of the game. I pray every night that he won't be on the roster at the start of next season.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 01:39 AM
OverTheCap

People continue to bash Dubinsky, but Gaborik played like **** tonight. I understand he's coming off an injury, but perhaps he shouldn't have played tonight. He seemed to botch every scoring opportunity he had. Just as the Rangers rely on Lundqvist to bail them out, it seems as if they rely on Gaborik to bail them out as well. They had no problem scoring when Gaborik didn't play for the past few games.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 02:23 AM
Kovy274Hart

Send a message via AIM to Kovy274Hart
The consensus seems to be that this was a waste. Not true. They put out a solid effort but never could get to Three-or-more, who was shaky early. Once he got confidence, he got stronger and actually made some quality stops. Even when our guys try, it's not enough because there's a serious lack of skill. So, they're going to be hard pressed to score consistently. A plague since Jagr left. Not trying to go there. Just has turned out that way.

Gaborik shouldn't have played. He was passive on one big chance where he had a mini-break but pulled up and overpassed. If he has the jump, no way does Gabby do that. What is the use of even playing him? So they can squeak in and get destroyed so Dolan can win? This team is seriously flawed and is much better off missing. Gabby's health over the next four years is more vital to the franchise.

All cause Slats screwed the pooch. That's why they're having a rally tomorrow. Hopefully, every fan will remember to keep it PG. This way, it's taken seriously. The Garden Faithful deserve better.

Kovy274Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 03:38 AM
Chimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLaidlaw View Post
Much like grief, there are stages to watching Wade Redden. You are currently in the anger stage. Next is bargaining. Then depression, and finally acceptance. Take it from me, once you get to acceptance, watching Redden play is actually comical and entertaining.
The sad part is, it should never come to acceptance if you are the GM who hired him. There is a "aw **** it, he is horrible!" stage before that.

Chimp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 04:37 AM
AJRanger

Didn't watch the game; how was Auld?

AJRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 04:55 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJRanger View Post
great

Old
03-07-2010, 05:29 AM
AJRanger

Good to hear.

What a shame though, we actually keep the highest scoring team in the league down to just two goals and then can't find the back of the net ourselves.

AJRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 05:29 AM
IceBear86
Broadway Pride

boy are we ridiculous. Seems like the team wants to get rid of Sather, too. That but be the only explanation why they embarassed themselves once again. Have a nice rally guys!

IceBear86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 09:26 AM
Jabroni
The Corporate Mod

Anyone see the Tortorella post-game interview?

A reporter said the Gaborik said that he "really wasn't 100%",
and asked about Gaborik and his return, and he responded with something like this:

"Yeah, yeah, yeah. I don't know...I don't know what I think. Obviously he needs to play better."

I know Gaborik wasn't "himself" yesterday, but that was harsh. Wake-up call for Gaborik, definitely.

Jabroni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 10:09 AM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabroni1994 View Post
Anyone see the Tortorella post-game interview?

A reporter said the Gaborik said that he "really wasn't 100%",
and asked about Gaborik and his return, and he responded with something like this:

"Yeah, yeah, yeah. I don't know...I don't know what I think. Obviously he needs to play better."

I know Gaborik wasn't "himself" yesterday, but that was harsh. Wake-up call for Gaborik, definitely.
The Rangers best skater was a non-factor in a close game. I don't think Tortorella's comment was harsh. If he's in the lineup, then he needs to play better. He did an outstanding job for the Rangers pre-Olympics and now he has to continue to lead them for this final stretch.

It's just beyond frustrating that he suffered an injury playing for another team.

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 10:31 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJRanger View Post
Very good. He's really the only reason the score was somewhat respectable. I do hope we keep him around another season, he's a quality backup.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 11:15 AM
Glen Teflon Sather
With an iron fist

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
Ugh great just great this team's going to finish in the 9th-11th range because of the philosophy of the organization which is make the playoffs and lose in the first round to get the extra revenue. This team should have been sellers instead they're going to just miss and get stuck with a mediocre pick just like what the franchise is. I know some of you on here say hey we make it you never know, come on do you really think we can upset Pitt or Washington in the first round?

Glen Teflon Sather is offline   Reply With Quote