HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Is it just me..(Tom Gilbert)

Old
03-06-2010, 01:15 PM
asguard99

vCash: 500
blockshots great, thats like worth 4 million? theres lots of d-men that blockshots.its the plays he makes in his own end that costly

asguard99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 01:51 PM
Ganz
Dibs

vCash: 50
I actually remember when Gilbert used his body to separate people off the puck. Mind you, it wasn't by using big hits but he would just lean on them and then deftly steal the puck. THEN He got run by a CBJ player when we was coming out form behind the net and got concussed. Ever since, I haven't see the lean...

Ganz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 02:04 PM
CupofOil

It's the weight of the contract plain and simple, he doesn't have the kind of personality to handle pressure and it shows..... He was always soft but he played much more positionally sound defensively and showed more flair offensively before he got the contract, ever since then he hasn't been near the same player.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 02:15 PM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganz View Post
I actually remember when Gilbert used his body to separate people off the puck. Mind you, it wasn't by using big hits but he would just lean on them and then deftly steal the puck. THEN He got run by a CBJ player when we was coming out form behind the net and got concussed. Ever since, I haven't see the lean...
It's funny because Kelly Hrudey did a segment hyping him when Tom Gilbert first broke in:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXNxG...layer_embedded

I don't think it was the concussion though because that was a season before his rookie year I believe and I still thought he was strong enough defensively the year he scored 13. He just changed his game for one reason or another.

Tavaresmagicalplay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 02:25 PM
asguard99

Gilbert was never worth 4 million at any time. there was always areas in his game that needed improving, his points overshadowed his faults as were seeing now.any player making that type of money earns it by having 2 years of good soild play in a row not 1 year. it was a gamble and we lost

Old
03-06-2010, 02:33 PM
BoldNewLettuce
Esquire

vCash: 157
they could always switch horcoff and gilbert...it will be a sign of quinn's shattered psyche...but still...

BoldNewLettuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 02:49 PM
Wheatking

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaBargnani View Post
It's funny because Kelly Hrudey did a segment hyping him when Tom Gilbert first broke in:

I don't think it was the concussion though because that was a season before his rookie year I believe and I still thought he was strong enough defensively the year he scored 13. He just changed his game for one reason or another.
Wow...we never see that from Gilbert anymore. I don't even remember it ever being apart of his game.

Wheatking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 03:03 PM
Harley

I actually think he is playing pretty good right now. He isn't a bruiser. Never was. Never will be. Neither is Lidstrom. Doesn't mean he isn't effective.

He is competing much harder. He has an excellent poke check, especially along the boards. Good passer. Not the greatest point shot but is uber effective on when to drift into the slot for a scoring attempt and has one of the better heads up wrist shots on the team. I have no problem with this guy and his contract going forward. All he needs is a shut down aggressive D partner to do the dirty work when things get rough after the whistle and stuff.

Just a guess on my part but I think he can develop to the point that he will become a leader on this team. Quiet but respected by the players on the team for what he offers.

Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2010, 03:30 PM
asguard99

compare tom to nik what a joke. say harley are u tom gilbert if not seems your his biggest fan. as for being a leader on the team couldnt be further from the truth,have u even watch tom play at all this year ,guess not

Old
03-07-2010, 02:33 PM
Loweball

Although Gilbert has played a little better in the past few games, I still go on record saying his contract is close to Shawn Horcoff's as the worst in the league. Both players being paid twice as much as they should be.

Loweball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 02:48 PM
YoungGuns
The Taylor Hall Show

vCash: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by asguard99 View Post
tom has to go... i mean come on people turnover after turnover after turnover every game. example tight game against the hawks oops puck goes in the middle of the ice on the stick of a hawks player shoots scores game over.this happens all the time and at 4 million what a joke we cant give him away we are stuck with him for a few years and thats sad.tom was never worth 4 mill at best 2.5 mill. if he was at least good in his own end i could look past his points this year tell me this is not right.
hate to say t but we cant just blow up or whole defence give gilbert some time and see if he can bonuce back

YoungGuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 02:49 PM
HuMz

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loweball View Post
Although Gilbert has played a little better in the past few games, I still go on record saying his contract is close to Shawn Horcoff's as the worst in the league. Both players being paid twice as much as they should be.
He might be getting paid twice as much in your mind but theres not a chance in hell its one of the worst contracts in the league......not even top 10.

The good news is he seems to be playing a little better of late, although he didn't read the wrap around very well against Minny. But hes still young enough theres room for improvement.

HuMz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 02:56 PM
Fishy Scales

Quote:
compare tom to nik what a joke. say harley are u tom gilbert if not seems your his biggest fan. as for being a leader on the team couldnt be further from the truth,have u even watch tom play at all this year ,guess not
He didn't compare them from a quality perspective, but from a style perspective.

Nice straw man, though.

Fishy Scales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 04:31 PM
HopelessOilFan

Quote:
Gotta love how as soon as you mention another player in a post for any reason there is always the fan that just has to tell you you were really comparing them and not just making a point.

Anyways, i came to say that since the second half of the season gilbert has been playing much better.
Maybe not 4 million a season better but i can definitely see him earning it before its up.

I think he learned alot from vis. He's using his pokecheck very effectively, the last few games i watched he was leading the rush alot of times when i watched, and he really seems to feel a little more comfortable with pinching in when he needs to, and i've seen alot more shots from him.

People seem to think if you have a large body you should be physical, but not everyone can or should be. It just isn't a part of his game.

I have a feeling next year gilbert will rebound and we will see why he is being paid 4 million.

HopelessOilFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 04:45 PM
Hockey Fan #751

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuMz View Post
The good news is he seems to be playing a little better of late, although he didn't read the wrap around very well against Minny. But hes still young enough theres room for improvement.
The problem is that Gilbert is now the team's #1 defenceman and for most of the season he's been 2 or 3 in terms of minutes. Being out there that often is going to expose weaknesses. When he first broke in he was mainly playing the 4, 5, 6 role against lesser players. It's obviously easier to play that way.

As for the Latendresse goal, Gilbert played that perfectly. He took him wide so he couldn't drive to the net. The fact that Deslauriers misread what Gilbert was trying to do and didn't get across in time and Whitney was so far behind the play was not Gilbert's fault.

And the earlier post saying Gilbert doesn't play the way Hrudey demonstrated, he sure does. If you don't believe me, watch Gilbert during tonight's game exclusively every time he's on the ice. You'll be pleasantly surprised.

Sure he has holes in his game, but being on a team as bad as this will expose the weaknesses in any player - not to mention having to play above your capability. If the Oilers can somehow have Whitney and Gilbert in the 3-4 spot next season both will look great. Who plays in the 1-2 now is the big question.

Hockey Fan #751 is offline   Reply With Quote