HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Blog says Coyotes are moving to Winnipeg

Closed Thread

Old
03-07-2010, 02:23 PM
CitizenCoyote

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoCoyotes View Post
I'm right there with you...I'm a Browns fan. Yes...the Browns.
Ouch. Well, at least they came back.

I don't think that's going to happen with the Whale -- but hope springs eternal. Hence my HFboards handle. Though I've been a fan for a decade, I'm really only a visiting fan of the Coyotes -- until Hartford gets its team back. Which I figure is about as likely as Montreal losing the Habs.

Old
03-07-2010, 02:39 PM
Gagnefan924
Need Moar AmericanZ

Honestly, I wont feel relaxed until this has been totally denied by Bettman even with the article being so ridiculous.

Old
03-07-2010, 02:52 PM
Art.Vandelay
@kash2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnefan924 View Post
Honestly, I wont feel relaxed until this has been totally denied by Bettman even with the article being so ridiculous.
Completely agree. To me the silence from Bettman and Daly is disconcerting. I just got the following from twitter:

Quote:
Report: Coyotes moving to Winnipeg; I looked into this and it does look good for Canadian hockey fans, but it is not set in stone as of yet.
http://twitter.com/*************

Again I know that ************* and Hockeybuzz are less than credible. But there are more and more stories appearing talking about the Coyotes relocating and not a word from the NHL.

Old
03-07-2010, 03:14 PM
AZCOYOT

Get it done one way or another.. I can't take this crap

Old
03-07-2010, 03:25 PM
jmichael7753

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art.Vandelay View Post
Completely agree. To me the silence from Bettman and Daly is disconcerting. I just got the following from twitter:

Again I know that ************* and Hockeybuzz are less than credible. But there are more and more stories appearing talking about the Coyotes relocating and not a word from the NHL.
hockeybuzz and ************* are the furthest from credibile sites. Until I see it on an actual website ill continue to sit back and laugh my ass off.

Old
03-07-2010, 03:33 PM
PhoPhan

Quote:

I'm guessing their "report" is HockyBuzz. Nothing here but more of this illogical echo chamber.

Old
03-07-2010, 03:44 PM
jmichael7753

Ok so I messaged the idiot who wrote it on hockeybuzz saying this.

Quote:
This a horrible article. in no way will the coyotes ever move back to that city. Building is way too small for one. 2 the ice edge deal will be closed in a few weeks. You reporting this makes you no better then eklund reporting his bogus trade rumors. You just lost all credibilty by saying this complete bs especially without names involved and the mayor of winnepeg coming out last weeking saying that he hasn't even talked to the nhl and he doesn't see the nhl back anytime in the near future.
and this was his answer.

Quote:
Sam Katz has nothing to do with what businesses come and go in Winnipeg. Show me where Ice Edge is finalizing this deal? I'm saying it's not going to happen and you will see why soon enough. They can't make money on there business model.

Thanks for reading.

Old
03-07-2010, 03:47 PM
AZCOYOT

The fact that he said "there" and not "their" makes me relax. It's all opinion.

Old
03-07-2010, 04:19 PM
Colt45Blast
Tippett's Tool

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmichael7753 View Post

and this was his answer.
Talk about weak defense!
Posted via Mobile Device

Old
03-07-2010, 04:25 PM
gemini617az

Quote:
I TRULY hope I am wrong, but I really have a bad feeling here.
The other day when it came out that Bettman was in 'town' and the Thrashers were moving ... then it came out 'no the Thrashers aren't moving'

I thought to myself

NO the Thrashers aren't moving ... the Yotes are

OMG I FEEL SICK! I am praying this is FALSE

Old
03-07-2010, 04:36 PM
jmichael7753

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini617az View Post
The other day when it came out that Bettman was in 'town' and the Thrashers were moving ... then it came out 'no the Thrashers aren't moving'

I thought to myself

NO the Thrashers aren't moving ... the Yotes are

OMG I FEEL SICK! I am praying this is FALSE
The fact is that bettman was never in "town". No one is moving to winnepeg.

Old
03-07-2010, 04:47 PM
moosemeister

Reading his response to the email, I can't buy this rumor at all. It goes to show that this was out of anger. Of course, he's got the grammar of a 9th grader. haha

This is nothing to worry about.

Old
03-07-2010, 04:48 PM
Alberta Yote
Owns the Yotes

Who the hell is Peter Tessier?

I'll tell you who he is. He's the guy that knows a guy or at least talked to him once for a minute or maybe less that is really close to the situation and knows almost for sure that the Coyotes are moving back to Winnipeg. And if you all knew who this guy is that the guy we've never heard of talked to for maybe a minute or maybe a bit longer was you would know that this is a sure thing. Unfortunately Peter can't tell you who the guy is but if he could you wouldn't doubt it either. Too bad, this secrecy thing bites balls.

And some of you don't buy this? Come on people...

Old
03-07-2010, 04:51 PM
Colt45Blast
Tippett's Tool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Yote View Post

I'll tell you who he is. He's the guy that knows a guy or at least talked to him once for a minute or maybe less that is really close to the situation and knows almost for sure that the Coyotes are moving back to Winnipeg. And if you all knew who this guy is that the guy we've never heard of talked to for maybe a minute or maybe a bit longer was you would know that this is a sure thing. Unfortunately Peter can't tell you who the guy is but if he could you wouldn't doubt it either. Too bad, this secrecy thing bites balls.

Eh.... WHAT? You lost me!
Posted via Mobile Device

Old
03-07-2010, 04:52 PM
SuperDave21
Hockey Paradise

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmichael7753 View Post

and this was his answer.
Here was his answer to me...

"I don't have spell check on my Iphone and I'm not a journalist nor do I have fact checkers or editors. I wrote it fast and dirty and when i get a chance I will do a follow up.

Btw it's pretty hard to get facts when none of the major parties will confirm or deny. That's why it's a rumour site. Thanks for reading."

What a hack.

Old
03-07-2010, 04:54 PM
Alberta Yote
Owns the Yotes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaPride View Post
Eh.... WHAT? You lost me!
Posted via Mobile Device
"Thanks for reading."

Old
03-07-2010, 05:02 PM
RR

I'll start by saying we always knew the Coyotes returning to Winnipeg was a possibility. Before the BK Bettman indicated if the team couldn't stay here maybe it should be offered to Winnipeg first.

That said, this blog is ludicrous. It contains opinion and speculation, and I especially love all the conspiracy theories toward the end.

If the team ends up moving to Winnipeg it's because Ice Edge couldn't close and no one else came forward to buy the team and keep it here. I doubt we're at that point yet.

And I will always keep coming back to the NHL needing to avoid leaving Glendale holding the bag on this one. Many like to talk about the court fight being a PR disaster for the league, but that would be infinitesimal in comparison to the harm done to Glendale, and future opportunities to convince cities to help fund arena projects.

Old
03-07-2010, 05:16 PM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR View Post
And I will always keep coming back to the NHL needing to avoid leaving Glendale holding the bag on this one. Many like to talk about the court fight being a PR disaster for the league, but that would be infinitesimal in comparison to the harm done to Glendale, and future opportunities to convince cities to help fund arena projects.
That line of reasoning, while sound, assumes the NHL would just keep funding the team until someone who could close the deal came along. If IEH doesn't close and they truly are, as it appears, the only interested party... what can the NHL do but move or fold?

Old
03-07-2010, 05:46 PM
Piokinen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
That line of reasoning, while sound, assumes the NHL would just keep funding the team until someone who could close the deal came along. If IEH doesn't close and they truly are, as it appears, the only interested party... what can the NHL do but move or fold?
This team will neither fold nor be moved.
The NHL is commited to make things happen in their southern markets.
20mln $ losses(figure is from the Moyes sued article) on an all time lowest attendance during the biggest recession since the 30s of the last century are a low price as compared to a negative PR when this would becom a total desaster as the team moves to Canada for example.
For now its a subvention in the future potential of this sports market.
And we all know that the hockey market in this area has more growth potential than any other market in the US or Canada because of the demographical change Arizona will see in the coming decades. Yes itīs about potential.
The NHL is not a group of hobby economists who are comparing attendance numbers like the clowns on the main boards, and decide whether a market deserves a team or does not.
By moving the team now their investment for the last 15 years in this region would go nuts. And by only losing 20 mln $ per year itīs some sort of peanuts that the NHL is pumping into this team. The team will stay.
As I said once before I donīt expect IEH to take over the Yotes before the start of the playoffs. They would have to do salary payments at the end of the year with the Yotes most time on the road and generating almost zero attendance money. So itīs a smart business decision by IEH to wait and gamble on an agreement with the COG and the NHL.

Old
03-07-2010, 05:47 PM
jmichael7753

Ok here is my take on it looking foward. there is no way in my mind that the coyotes will move to winnepeg or at all for that matter. But if they do the legal reprecuctions would be too large for both the NHL and the city of winepeg I would think. Winepeg or the new owner would have to pay Glendale a huge amount of money for breaking the lease and thats not the half of it. The businesses in westgate were promised that the coyotes would be a tennate for many many years at jobing.com arena when they agreed to open their business in westgate, and if they were to leave then you will have all those companies sueing the NHL or the new owners for multi millions.

Old
03-07-2010, 05:49 PM
jmichael7753

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piokinen View Post
This team will neither fold nor be moved.
The NHL is commited to make things happen in their southern markets.
20mln $ losses(figure is from the Moyes sued article) on an all time lowest attendance during the biggest recession since the 30s of the last century are a low price as compared to a negative PR when this would becom a total desaster as the team moves to Canada for example.
For now its a subvention in the future potential of this sports market.
And we all know that the hockey market in this area has more growth potential than any other market in the US or Canada because of the demographical change Arizona will see in the coming decades. Yes itīs about potential.
The NHL is not a group of hobby economists who are comparing attendance numbers like the clowns on the main boards, and decide whether a market deserves a team or does not.
By moving the team now their investment for the last 15 years in this region would go nuts. And by only losing 20 mln $ per year itīs some sort of peanuts that the NHL is pumping into this team. The team will stay.
As I said once before I donīt expect IEH to take over the Yotes before the start of the playoffs. They would have to do salary payments at the end of the year with the Yotes most time on the road and generating almost zero attendance money. So itīs a smart business decision by IEH to wait and gamble on an agreement with the COG and the NHL.
Well said, well said. I dont think anyone could say it any better then you did.

Old
03-07-2010, 06:09 PM
52G228PIM*

Quote:

Nice..

Old
03-07-2010, 06:12 PM
SuperDave21
Hockey Paradise

Quote:

I love you.

Old
03-07-2010, 06:21 PM
52G228PIM*

20 million is a minuscule part of a 2.6 billion dollar picture..

Old
03-07-2010, 06:32 PM
MP

Something else occurred to me--MTS Centre is too small to be an NHL arena without some major renovations, which means the total cost of relocation would increase by, I would guess, several millions of dollars. We don't know for sure exactly what the City of Glendale would want either, but they will not be content to be left with expensive, empty arena. The costs of moving the team are already likely to be high, and moving it to Winnipeg would only make the whole enterprise more expensive. Finally, I don't doubt that ticket sales would be brisk, but there's more to running a franchise than gate revenues. As I recall, corporate support has long been a question whenever Winnipeg (or central Canada) has been brought up as a possible relocation/expansion candidate, and unless something's changed in that respect, I would think it will take longer than it otherwise would to recoup all the costs incurred during the move.

TL;DR version: This Tessier person is a twit. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if the reason that neither IEH nor the NHL have responded to this rumor is that they don't know it exists because--and this may be difficult to believe, I admit--they don't know or care about what some twit posted on HockeyBuzz.

Closed Thread