HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Canucks @ Predators ~~ March 07, 2010 2:00PM

Old
03-07-2010, 03:31 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 500
Reading the comments in the chat next to the feed it's easy to tell why people around the league hate Vancouver fans so much

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 03:41 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
Reading the comments in the chat next to the feed it's easy to tell why people around the league hate Vancouver fans so much
I never read those comments except when I want to take a look and see if anyone else is having a technical issue. Beyond that...it's just all message board muscles at their finest...a bunch of ego-driven trolls looking for a fight...

Also, you know you can expand to full-screen by clicking on the "box" shaped button in the lower right of the screen...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 03:45 PM
Seth Lake

Good second period. Trotz makes good adjustments in the first intermission when we're tied or trailing, not so often when we're ahead...just gotta hope that we don't get out-adjusted in the third...

More traffic to the net, more pucks to the net, less turnovers in transition, tighten up a little more in our end of the ice, and we should have a good third period.

Gotta head into this period with a 0-0 mindset. Break it up into 5 minute segments. Stay out of the box and limit unnecessary chances. Win the period, win the game...

Old
03-07-2010, 03:55 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Also, you know you can expand to full-screen by clicking on the "box" shaped button in the lower right of the screen...
Every time I switch to fullscreen mode it gets choppier.

Old
03-07-2010, 03:57 PM
Seth Lake

Didn't like the start of that period...too much offense by the Canucks, but we've settled down and hopefully both teams settle in for a bit...7 minutes gone in the third...

Old
03-07-2010, 04:03 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

So much for being a good third period team.

(And yes I know that Vancouver is also a good third period team)

Old
03-07-2010, 04:07 PM
Seth Lake

Pekka with a HORRID goal against...2-2...

Old
03-07-2010, 04:13 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

The way these guys are playing this period makes the laggy feed too much to tolerate...

Old
03-07-2010, 04:13 PM
Seth Lake

Grebeshkov and another Predator collide up at the offensive blue line, Hansen takes off down ice, is fed with a long outlet pass, Rinne saves initial breakaway attempt, but Hansen stops in front of the net and bangs home rebound...3-2 Canucks...

Everything changed on the Samuelsson goal...

Old
03-07-2010, 04:24 PM
Seth Lake

Henrik Sedin adds the empty-netter and the Preds lose 4-2...

5 point lead on Detroit and Calgary down to just 1 after today...

Not gonna turn on the team, but this wasn't a complete 60 minutes and two points just flushed down the toilet...not gonna be happy tonight...

Old
03-07-2010, 04:25 PM
RollingPredFan

Rinne lost this game pure and simple. Yes he played well until the tying goal. Will Korn please coach him with those STUPID sharp angle goals he keeps giving up?

This one hurt. Too many nipping at our heels.

RollingPredFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 04:27 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingPredFan View Post
Rinne lost this game pure and simple. Yes he played well until the tying goal. Will Korn please coach him with those STUPID sharp angle goals he keeps giving up?

Yup, it all changed on that Samuelsson softy. The team started pressing to get it back and that lead to the mistake that created the breakaway and the game is over, just like that...

Old
03-07-2010, 04:50 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

we had our chances EARLY ... Erat missed Hornqvist twice in the slot wide open ... I hope we can force to trade him in the offseason ... he's too off & on to be a "playmaker"

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 05:03 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingPredFan View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Yup, it all changed on that Samuelsson softy. The team started pressing to get it back and that lead to the mistake that created the breakaway and the game is over, just like that...
Sorry guys. The second goal was soft but to lay it all on one person in a defeat is ridiculous. How many good saves did he make earlier in the game that go unnoticed because of the one softie. It could be said he kept us in the game just the same. You win as a team and you lose as a team. The effort by some guys in front of Rinne came in spurts and not for a full 60 minutes. I thought as a team we played pretty well overall but you have to play a full game and we've all said that for a long time. This isn't something new. This isn't something that should surprise us. These guys need to look in the mirror and decide how bad they want it.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 05:14 PM
MemphisMTLfan

Glad I fell asleep towards the end of the game.

MemphisMTLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 06:03 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Are we missing Weber too badly yet?
Weber was sorely missed on the power play, which was never really made evident since we only had two cracks at it, but on the whole, I thought our defenders played very well. A couple of mistakes here and there apiece (Suter with a bad turnover, Franson with that bad pinch early, Klein nearly killing Bouillon), but on the whole, I was very pleased. Klein stood out to me in the way he didn't make himself stand out with mistake after mistake. It's refreshing to see Klein play well and justify the contract he got. It was also nice to see Franson taking the body along the boards. Hammer and Klein still look tentative physically (although Hammer dropped them today), but as long as they stay separated, they should be okay. Grebs got caught watching the puck on the Edler goal, but had some timely blocked shots and played okay on the whole.

Hamhuis' fight with Burrows was actually a great decision on his part. It neutralizes their leading goal scorer, but he also timed the fight perfectly because it killed a breakaway for the Canucks (not sure if that was intentional or not).

The forwards were all very solid. The Smithson-Legwand-Ward line did a great job of containing the Sedins. I still wish we could have a more skilled player than Smithson on the wing to help the transition game (Ward's biggest strength, IMO), particularly the offense, but with the expectations being to contain the top lines of other teams, I'm okay with him being there. Legwand had a few lousy passes, but played fine on the whole, and Ward was one of the best forwards on the ice for us, IMO. Every time the puck came near him, offensively or defensively, he was on it and turning it back up ice.

I really liked what I saw of Dustin Boyd. He was physical, he created chances, he got himself in good position to make things happen, and can kill penalties. He'll help bring out the best in Goc and Legwand. Wilson played very well, and Tootoo had a great hustle play to get to his own rebound and chip it over Luongo.

The Seasonal-Affective Disorder line played pretty well, but I thought Vancouver did a great job of disrupting the set offense, which is that line's bread and butter. With that taken away, they were forced to play a more rush-oriented offense, which they can't really do because they don't have the overall speed.

Erat-Goc-Hornqvist was surprisingly quiet. Erat seems to have gotten faster, but didn't really generate a lot of chances today. Hornqvist is still Hornqvist, even though the offense isn't flowing for him right now. Goc played a solid game, but didn't really do anything to make himself stand out to me, good or bad.

The game was going well until Samuelsson scored. That was a bad goal that Rinne should have stopped. I thought it went off his shoulder, but on the replay, you can see the puck actually goes under his arm. If he closes off the post properly, that goal doesn't happen. That goal completely deflated the rest of the team, the Hansen goal was just off the run of play. Pekka made some great saves in tight spots, but he was giving up bad rebounds right in front of him (Luongo was as well) all afternoon. There wasn't much he could do when Hansen came in with no Predators within thirty feet of him, though.

We really gave this game away in the last ten minutes. This was a great hockey game to watch, though. Very back and forth, lots of chances, not a lot of penalties to break up the flow... this was hockey at its best, even though we came out on the losing end of it.

On a side note, I was extremely disappointed to read that Wilson is a Chelsea supporter. Come on, Colin, you have better sense than that...

Last edited by worstfaceoffmanever: 03-07-2010 at 10:49 PM. Reason: Comma splice.
worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 07:49 PM
quoth the Raven
Anders Lindback Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
Sorry guys. The second goal was soft but to lay it all on one person in a defeat is ridiculous. How many good saves did he make earlier in the game that go unnoticed because of the one softie. It could be said he kept us in the game just the same. You win as a team and you lose as a team. The effort by some guys in front of Rinne came in spurts and not for a full 60 minutes. I thought as a team we played pretty well overall but you have to play a full game and we've all said that for a long time. This isn't something new. This isn't something that should surprise us. These guys need to look in the mirror and decide how bad they want it.
Well said. It's always easy to look at the goaltender and say that he lost the game, but it really all comes down to the support he has in front of the net. Pekka was doing great all game, let in an early goal and then made some brilliant saves all throughout the first and second period. When that unsuspecting weird angled goal made it through, I think the entire team was thrown off. Of all chances the Canucks had, that one wasn't worrying me, I thought he had no angle and apparently so did the team/Pekka. Then that breakaway goal, even from up in 329 it looked like Pekka had saved it -- he didn't realize it came out from under him. It was unfortunate all the way around, but not by a lack of effort on Pekka's part.

I thought the entire team played strong until the third period. I thought they were actually going to win this one, and not because Vancouver was playing poorly. The Preds were actually on top of things and looked like they were playing a playoff game... too bad it was only for 40 minutes.

On another note, why why why do teams still pull their goaltender in the last 1 or 2 minutes? I'd like to see some real stats on the success rate because I feel like I've seen it work about 1/5 as much as I've seen the other team get an empty netter.

quoth the Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 08:22 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

With that attitude, it's never going to be the goaltender's fault. I don't care if Pekka makes 30 brilliant saves...if he gives up a backbreaking goal like the Samuelsson goal, then it's all for nothing, and it falls on him. We played well enough to win today, but didn't. You have to point somewhere. The REAL cause for concern is that it's getting to be something you expect...at least one of those goals a game. And worst of all, we're seeing him get beat by the same sort of shot from the same place, over and over.

The breakaway goal...great initial save, but he's got to have some sort of recovery. I have to wonder if he's still not used to these no-longer-new pads, because you're seeing quite a bit of that from him...where he "loses" the puck in his pads. He had absolutely no idea where the puck was on that play, and possibly even thought he had it covered.

On a positive(?) note, the defense actually looked decent, even without Weber, and for the most part the fourth line actually made a difference when on the ice. I'm sorry to say for Cal, but Boyd just looks more natural and comfortable out there, and he also did pretty well in the circle...something that Cal has trouble with.

I really have to wonder if the team\coaching staff is as nervous as I am about even making the playoffs. We can't afford a March meltdown this year, not when teams like the Red Wings are peaking.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 08:37 PM
quoth the Raven
Anders Lindback Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
With that attitude, it's never going to be the goaltender's fault. I don't care if Pekka makes 30 brilliant saves...if he gives up a backbreaking goal like the Samuelsson goal, then it's all for nothing, and it falls on him. We played well enough to win today, but didn't. You have to point somewhere. The REAL cause for concern is that it's getting to be something you expect...at least one of those goals a game. And worst of all, we're seeing him get beat by the same sort of shot from the same place, over and over.

The breakaway goal...great initial save, but he's got to have some sort of recovery. I have to wonder if he's still not used to these no-longer-new pads, because you're seeing quite a bit of that from him...where he "loses" the puck in his pads. He had absolutely no idea where the puck was on that play, and possibly even thought he had it covered.

On a positive(?) note, the defense actually looked decent, even without Weber, and for the most part the fourth line actually made a difference when on the ice. I'm sorry to say for Cal, but Boyd just looks more natural and comfortable out there, and he also did pretty well in the circle...something that Cal has trouble with.

I really have to wonder if the team\coaching staff is as nervous as I am about even making the playoffs. We can't afford a March meltdown this year, not when teams like the Red Wings are peaking.
Well, Pekka definitely deserves some of the blame on those last two goals. There I was so excited that his stats were going to improve with one goal against and something like 23 shots on net at that point, when he let that goal in. You're right, he should have been able to stop it, but as glenngineer pointed out, it was a team effort and we lost as a team. I have a hard time placing full blame on one player. Perhaps the goal(s) were his fault, but not the entire loss...

On the note of his pads, why did he get new ones in the first place? Maybe something was wrong with the old ones that I'm unaware of, but I'd say keep pads that are broken in and you're used to.

And lastly, I am very worried about the playoffs... we're falling lower and lower and I'm really surprised we're still clinging to 7th place. That won't last long playing like this. We still have a chance as there are a number of games left, but that chance is here now and the Preds need to step it up and play like they seriously want to make it past the first round, or even into the playoffs for that matter.

Old
03-07-2010, 08:41 PM
Minirex22*

Quote:
Speak for yourself.

Minirex22* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 09:03 PM
quoth the Raven
Anders Lindback Fan

Speaking of Vancouver, did anyone notice that we have our very own green man now?

Old
03-07-2010, 09:24 PM
ZombPred
ALLeyeDOizWHEN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreTooth3539 View Post
Speaking of Vancouver, did anyone notice that we have our very own green man now?
Haha! No I didn't catch that. Do we have any pics?

ZombPred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 09:31 PM
JohniusMaximus
Digging the Sarchasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreTooth3539 View Post
I saw him at the game last week against...oh, crap I forget. Thursday's game. Sorry..late night.

Anyway, they had him on the MegaTron. People loved it.

JohniusMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 09:46 PM
Tarot Sport*

As a Vancouver fan, I really thought Franson could have prevented the Hansen goal if he had kept skating. Rookie mistake or lack of effort? Just interested because he's from around here.

Tarot Sport* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 09:51 PM
quoth the Raven
Anders Lindback Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiralyPred View Post
Haha! No I didn't catch that. Do we have any pics?
No pictures but if he's there next home game I'll try to get some! He was a few rows behind the bench on Thursday, up in the 300s last night. Pretty funny, I wonder if he asked the Vancouver green guys where they got their suit.