HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

ice skates?

Old
03-07-2010, 09:14 PM
Socastee09

vCash: 500
ice skates?

well guys, going to be moving in the up state of SC where a few ice rinks are and i have played roller hockey for about 9 years, and never once have been on ice. so im looking for a decent pair of skates to start skating so i can play, any pros and cons? or would anyone have a nice pair of old ones i could buy? any help is great thanks..

Socastee09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 09:19 PM
cmdrdredd

best recommendation is find a local hockey store that sells skates. Find your size by trying on different ones and then find a skate that feels good to you. Any brand is good. Reebok, Easton, CCM, Bauer, Graf. They all make good skates but they all fit differently. It is hard to buy a bad skate these days. I'm a fan of the CCM U+ and Reebok lines because they feel better to me than something like the Bauer Vapor x50. It's all in what fits you best and feels good.

cmdrdredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 09:22 PM
Socastee09

well the problem is, the closest shop is about 3 hours away, so everything i get i usually order or if its a skate or something i go with my travel team. but no one really has ice skates around here and it sucks lol. i mean ive heard a lot about any kind of bauer or ccm. but i dont really want to buy a new pair and me not like it, id rather go get or buy a used pair for me to get use to things and then get a nice/decent pair. if anyone has anything let me know.

Old
03-07-2010, 09:24 PM
Maupin Fan
Hot Air

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socastee09 View Post
well the problem is, the closest shop is about 3 hours away, so everything i get i usually order or if its a skate or something i go with my travel team. but no one really has ice skates around here and it sucks lol. i mean ive heard a lot about any kind of bauer or ccm. but i dont really want to buy a new pair and me not like it, id rather go get or buy a used pair for me to get use to things and then get a nice/decent pair. if anyone has anything let me know.
Well what brand and kind of inline skates do you wear?

Maupin Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 09:26 PM
Socastee09

have mostly mission, but do have ccm, and tour

Old
03-07-2010, 09:36 PM
Maupin Fan
Hot Air

Well I don't know a thing about inline skates, but if you can figure out what kind of foot Missions fit, then you can get ice skates that are known to fit that type of foot if you cant find any to try on.

Maupin Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 09:39 PM
Socastee09

lol i figured not, but i have flat feet and missions feel most comfortable, and its a 10.5 size. so anything from there..

Old
03-07-2010, 09:51 PM
cmdrdredd

Quote:
lol i figured not, but i have flat feet and missions feel most comfortable, and its a 10.5 size. so anything from there..
If I understand right, Mission inline skates are sized according to your shoe size. So a 10 shoe = 10 skate. Ice hockey skates are 1.5 to 2 sizes down. So a 10 shoe = 8.5 or 8 skate.

So you really should find somewhere to try some brands on to see how the fit is for you. That's free.

Old
03-07-2010, 09:53 PM
Socastee09

okay, very true, well in a regular shoe i wear an 10.5/11. if i can find somewhere close i will, if not i will try to snatch a pair off of here if anyone wants to offer up something lol.

Old
03-07-2010, 09:59 PM
cmdrdredd

I'm sorry if I seem like I'm beating you over the head with the "try them on" message. Unfortunately that's the only way to know what works.

Old
03-07-2010, 10:01 PM
Socastee09

yeah i understand, and i just called a friend that has the exact same foot size, and flat feet its wierd, but anyways he plays ice and he says a 9 fits him like a glove, but if i get anywhere near a shop i will try a few pairs on and see what it feels like.

Old
03-07-2010, 10:13 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
have mostly mission, but do have ccm, and tour
I played roller for 10 years and switched to ice about 6 years ago. Wore Mission for roller so I bought a $100 new pair of Missions for ice. After about a year upgraded to high end Eastons. Sticking to relatively the same boot is a good idea especially if you're buying blind.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 10:16 PM
Socastee09

sounds like a sweet deal to me, how was the transition to ice? i have no clue why but something it bugging me to just get a used pair for now and then when i start playing which will be new fall get a high end pair. but i planned on sticking to the same boot and stuff til i get a little more familiar with things.

Old
03-07-2010, 10:18 PM
cmdrdredd

Some places are putting Mission Ice Hockey skates on clearance to push them out of inventory. Might look around for that.

Old
03-07-2010, 10:19 PM
Socastee09

good call! might look around tonight, i just ordered a ccm u+ stick, it should be here tomorrow so well see how that goes haha. im sure ill post a review.

Old
03-08-2010, 11:07 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
sounds like a sweet deal to me, how was the transition to ice? i have no clue why but something it bugging me to just get a used pair for now and then when i start playing which will be new fall get a high end pair. but i planned on sticking to the same boot and stuff til i get a little more familiar with things.
The only thing I regretted after switching to ice was not switching sooner. I like being in a more team oriented setting. In roller if you have the best player in the league you will win. In ice you have to play as a team, everybody has to do their job or you will lose.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 01:01 PM
Socastee09

thats what i thought about, and yeah roller is just sometimes a joke, i would rather have to work with someone to accomplish a goal than just have a one man team.

Old
03-08-2010, 02:29 PM
HowToHockey

Quote:
thats what i thought about, and yeah roller is just sometimes a joke, i would rather have to work with someone to accomplish a goal than just have a one man team.
That's the right attitude to have! Good luck finding a skate, if you get properly fitted first then it would be easier to get the right pair if you order online. That way you will know your proper width and size.

I noticed though that I got my feet measured and the guy brought out two pairs of skates, same size, same width. One pair felt really nice, the other pair was awkward!

The last thing you want is skates that hurt!

You might have to go for a 3 hour drive to get your skates, maybe look for something fun to do while your are in the area

HowToHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 03:07 PM
Johan Santana

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
If I understand right, Mission inline skates are sized according to your shoe size. So a 10 shoe = 10 skate. Ice hockey skates are 1.5 to 2 sizes down. So a 10 shoe = 8.5 or 8 skate.

So you really should find somewhere to try some brands on to see how the fit is for you. That's free.
Mission ice skates are shoe sized as well, a 10.5 shoe size = 10.5 mission ice skate size

Johan Santana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 03:29 PM
cmdrdredd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johan Santana View Post
Mission ice skates are shoe sized as well, a 10.5 shoe size = 10.5 mission ice skate size
I've seen people here claim they had to buy a size or two down from shoes when they fitted mission skates. That could be a preference thing anyway. Some skaters really like a tight skate.

Old
03-08-2010, 03:35 PM
Johan Santana

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
I've seen people here claim they had to buy a size or two down from shoes when they fitted mission skates. That could be a preference thing anyway. Some skaters really like a tight skate.
yep, what is advertised isnt always true haha, but my missions are exactly my shoe size, sweet!

Johan Santana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 03:40 PM
cmdrdredd

My dream is for you to be able to get measured accurately on a computer that has been laser calibrated. Then a boot formed to match your feet exactly with the perfect amount of room. No need to bake.

Maybe in the years ahead of us things like this will be reality and take all the fear out of buying a skate. Just give the computer your measurements, insert the boot of the skate into some device and watch it press and punch out areas for a perfect match.

Old
03-08-2010, 03:44 PM
Socastee09

hahahah that would be sweet!

Old
03-10-2010, 08:54 PM
Socastee09

buddy of mine had a pair of bauer supreme 3000's and i know there about 12 years old but there in new condition and will work for me for now considering i didn't have to pay for them. they fit just like a glove and i love it! and from playing roller all these years with a heavy skate anyways these feel so light for being such an old skate im excited to go skate.