HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Knee "popped"

Old
03-07-2010, 10:47 AM
Hobgoblin Steve
Bacon of Light

vCash: 500
Knee "popped"

First off, I made a docs appointment, and will be getting it check out.

During a game, I hit the guy with the puck, and got tangled with another coming the opposite way. one leg went one way, the other a different, almost like doing a split. My right knee gave and I hear a pop (sort of like when you crack you knuckle, knee, elbow whatever) and I went to the ground. I couldnt get up, and had to get the ref to help me up. Couldnt put weight on it for about 10 mins. After the game, the knee itself felt fine, but when I would "lock" my knee (like you would when standing) it definitely did not feel 100% right, but there was no swelling. I iced it all night regardless, and wore one of those ACE knee bandages/braces things at the same time (mostly to keep the ice in place). Slept with the kneebrace, and this morning it feels just like last night. fine when its bent, sore when locked, sometimes a pain. I can bend it all the way and can walk on it without too much trouble.

My friend tore his ACL a while back and I called him to tell him about this, and he says the popping is what happened to him, but it was extremely painful and he couldnt move the leg at all. I dont think I tore my ACL based on the pain, but the pop has me concerned. Has anyone experienced this before? I have a practice today, but Ill only be spectating/picture taking. What does everyone think about the pop? Could it just have been like a cracked knuckle, or something horribly worse?

Hobgoblin Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 10:52 AM
Jeffler
Shut Up Jeffler

I've had that happen to me before, a few times actually.

What I've noticed is the faster you can get yourself standing, the quicker it'll go away. If you're down for a few minutes, you're stuck with it till the next day at least. If you make that a few seconds, you'll be fine within an hour.

Old
03-07-2010, 11:15 AM
Hobgoblin Steve
Bacon of Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse Flying V View Post
I've had that happen to me before, a few times actually.

What I've noticed is the faster you can get yourself standing, the quicker it'll go away. If you're down for a few minutes, you're stuck with it till the next day at least. If you make that a few seconds, you'll be fine within an hour.
well I was walking around pretty much all night, figuring I should let the blood pump. In the last few minutes, I sort of hurt it again though, I "locked" my knee, ( by accident) and it really didnt feel good. walking with a baseballbat cane at the moment

Old
03-07-2010, 11:29 AM
cody275
HFBoards Sponsor

I actually had my knee "pop" a few months ago.

My knee was facing forward, and my foot got spun around. The knee didn't move though. Right once it happened, I couldn't really move at all. I could walk, but you could tell that it was sore because of how bad of a limp I had whenever I walked (couldn't really put any pressure on it though). Ended up going to the doctors to get it checked out, and I had a tear in my ACL, and a slight tear in my MCL.

If you can still put pressure on it though, I would assume that it isn't a tear.

I'd go to the doctors and get it checked though. I ended up go to a physiotherapist and it really helped get it moving again. So that may be another option, depending on how bad it is right now. It took a few weeks to get it back to completely normal.

I do remember the doctor telling me though, that he suspected that it was a tear because I couldn't move my knee at all.

If you can bend your knee, then I would assume that it isn't an ACL tear. The ACL stabilizes your knee, so if you can bend your knee fine. Then it probably isn't a tear. Thats not to say that it can't be a slight tear, or strained though.

cody275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 01:17 PM
TBLfan

Send a message via AIM to TBLfan
From what your symptoms sound like, I'd say it's just a deep bruise/sweeling in the meniscus.

TBLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 03:49 PM
Hobgoblin Steve
Bacon of Light

over the last couple of hours it started to swell. I took some more advil and bought myself a cane. Gonna try to push my appointment up to tm though

Old
03-07-2010, 05:18 PM
Wolfpack Cane

Just based on how you described it, I'd say you dislocated your knee cap. I did it a couple of times playing basketball, and your description of the pop and how your knee is fine when bent reminds me exactly of the times my knee cap dislocated. If there is no damage inside the knee you'll be fine soon enough, just a little stiff. Keep an eye on it from now on because there's a decent chance it will happen again.

Wolfpack Cane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 06:27 PM
Hockeyfan68

I'm glad you are seeing a doctor for that, just a guess with no experience here but it looks like nothing major.

Good luck and let us know what came of the doc visit.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 06:31 PM
Gino 14

Keep up with the Advil, ice and the doctor's appointment. The free diagnosis that you get on this forum is worth every penny you pay for it.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 06:44 PM
Puck Farise

Not sure what it could be, but it is 99% likely not an ACL tear. ACL tears cause basically immediate swelling, and you wouldn't be able to lock your knee while putting weight on it...without having your knee buckle backwards (instability). I can say that confidently because I tore my ACL and did a **** ton of reading on the ligament after it. Could be some damage to the meniscus, but yea the doc's is the way to go.

Puck Farise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 10:02 PM
Hobgoblin Steve
Bacon of Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE7 View Post
Not sure what it could be, but it is 99% likely not an ACL tear. ACL tears cause basically immediate swelling, and you wouldn't be able to lock your knee while putting weight on it...without having your knee buckle backwards (instability). I can say that confidently because I tore my ACL and did a **** ton of reading on the ligament after it. Could be some damage to the meniscus, but yea the doc's is the way to go.
I cannot do that

Old
03-07-2010, 11:43 PM
Vincent_TheGreat

Send a message via ICQ to Vincent_TheGreat
Sounds like a deep bruise or hyper-extension

Vincent_TheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 01:35 AM
Puck Farise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobgoblin Steve View Post
I cannot do that
No the key point in what I was saying there was without having it give out and bend backwards. The ACL is responsible for stabilizing the backside of the knee. I understood that you could stand on it and lock your knee, but it's just painful, not un-stable.

Puck Farise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 03:20 AM
HowToHockey

I hope you are alrite, knee injuries suck and you never fully recover if it is a bad one. Give us an update after you see the doc

HowToHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 07:54 AM
stick9

I tore my ACL and sprained my LCL last May. I am all too familiar with that "pop". Anyway....no sense in getting worked up over something just yet. Let the doc take a look it and go from there.

Good luck.

Last edited by stick9: 03-08-2010 at 08:16 AM.
stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 08:00 AM
stick9

Quote:
Originally Posted by beavboyz View Post
I hope you are alrite, knee injuries suck and you never fully recover if it is a bad one. Give us an update after you see the doc
I couldn't disagree more. In the case of Wes Welker, no he'll probably never be the same player he was, but you can find plenty of professional athletes who've continued their careers after suffering major knee injuries. As for us beer league pros, if you do what the doc tells you to do there is no reason to believe you won't recover fully and return to 100%.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 08:06 AM
ILflyersfan12

Quote:
Originally Posted by beavboyz View Post
+1 man. im currently riding on a knee injury and it sucks. i just ended up stretching a ligament. but then again i didnt have a pop or anything like you said. good luck man.

i hope you aren't hurt really bad. give us an update!

ILflyersfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 08:12 AM
vivianmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_TheGreat View Post
Sounds like a deep bruise or hyper-extension
i'll go with the hyperextension...

vivianmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 12:01 PM
gintonic

I'm living this at present. I had an MRI and it revealed a meniscus tear. The symptoms of which sound a lot like yours. I'm presently scheduled for surgery in two weeks.

The good news is that as it was explained to me, it's the most minor of knee surgeries and the dr says should be able to return to playing in 4 - 6 weeks.

gintonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 12:32 PM
NFLDPower
Shi Shi Shawww

Quote:
Originally Posted by gintonic View Post
I'm living this at present. I had an MRI and it revealed a meniscus tear. The symptoms of which sound a lot like yours. I'm presently scheduled for surgery in two weeks.

The good news is that as it was explained to me, it's the most minor of knee surgeries and the dr says should be able to return to playing in 4 - 6 weeks.
LOL Im headin in for an MRI in about two hours. I'm likely gonna have the exact same diagnisis and procedure done.

NFLDPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 12:45 PM
OneMoreAstronaut
Reduce chainsaw size

vCash: 50
It could be a partial ligament tear. I would advise you to be very careful with it, and under no circumstances should you miss that doctors appointment. Be sure to ask him to test your knee ligaments.

I partially tore my ACL when I was younger. There was a great deal of initial pain, but it faded after a while and I was able to play again. My knee felt strangely loose, however. Unfortunately, it was during tryout camps and I didn't have the good sense or, so I thought, the time to get it looked at. I was still able to play, it just hurt now and then. After playing with the partial tear for about a month, it finally broke for good. A partially torn ligament will heal over time, but a ligament that is fully torn will not heal. At that point your only option is surgery, and then a great deal of rehab.

If you're doing your own stretches and whatnot to test it out, for the love of God don't push things until you know for sure what's wrong, that's all I can suggest. You don't want to add any more to the damage that's already been done.

OneMoreAstronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 02:44 PM
RinkRat6671

Hope you got some good news at the doctor's appt.

I tore my meniscus part way, but before I could get it fixed, I ended up tearing my MCL and injuring my ACL. It was a LONG process, but I came back probably a little stronger than I was before the injury. I really don't notice any issues with my skating now.

RinkRat6671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 04:20 PM
Hobgoblin Steve
Bacon of Light

ok so I came back from the docs office about 4 hours ago and would have told you what she said, but the appt was really early, so I went back to sleep when I came home .

She took three xrays and the xrays came back normal, and the way she explained it to me she said that Xrays dont reveal soft tissue damages, so shes sending me to an orthopedic doctor tm. She said when she moved my knee it was making a "not normal" sound. Thats pretty much all she was able to tell me because she then said she really isnt an expert on knees which is why I'm being sent to another office.

till tm I guess :/

Old
03-08-2010, 04:41 PM
NWAvs

It's happened to me I think 5 times. Most werent serious but one was a dislocation. Bad knees are in my family though.

Good luck man!

NWAvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 05:03 PM
OneMoreAstronaut
Reduce chainsaw size

vCash: 50
A special kind of "xray" is required for examining soft-tissue damage. I forget the name though - it's been about ten years since I had it. They fill your knee with purple liquid (it swells pretty crazily) and then do their scan. You may end up having this treatment.

OneMoreAstronaut is offline   Reply With Quote