HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Buffalo 2, Rangers 1 (OT); This is out house.

Closed Thread

Old
03-07-2010, 09:53 PM
GAGLine

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaRanger View Post
You know things are bad when we're blaming Sean Avery.

He's one of the few guys on the team I like.
I've never liked him, but I respected the fact that for some reason, this team played better with him on the ice and he contributed offensively. This year he's seemed mostly invisible. I won't be sad to see him go when his contract is up. At least we're only paying half of it.

Old
03-07-2010, 10:00 PM
Salz

Actually I thought we played well tonight. Ryan Miller was on his game.

Old
03-07-2010, 10:01 PM
dynamoovechkin

The painful thing is, we have some nice pieces. Henrik, for my money is the best goaler in the game. Gaborik is a sniper par excellence, and is still in his prime. Cally is a heart and soul player with maybe second line upside. Mark Staal is a decent second pairing shutdown defender, and Michael Del Zotto has a bright future, plus minus nothwithstanding.
Problem is we've got nothing else going at all. Zip, nada. We just cannot score goals, and the team has little or no personality or cohesiveness. If we make the playoffs, (which is a distinct possiblity because MTL and BOS don't show me much), it will be a small miracle!

Old
03-07-2010, 10:32 PM
BigCanada77
NYR in the Midwest

Send a message via AIM to BigCanada77
I put this in the GDT but I saw a post game thread, so here's the copy and paste...

just got back from the game...

Avery seemed to be playing well this game, just couldn't finish...

Felt like we played well except for spurts in the second period...

That sure didn't look like an offsides from my seat or on the big screen...screw you refs...

Man Gilroy is a fluid skater, his breakouts seem so dangerous all the time, and then they amounted to nothing...

Holy ****, was that place rockin when we scored that goal...

Lots of Sabre fans at the game......

So close...

Old
03-07-2010, 10:42 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick00 View Post
I didn't think we were still in the bottom 10 but you're right, if the season ended today we would pick 8th which is pretty good.
That's what I'm hoping for now, that Western teams like Anaheim (67), Minnesota (67) and Dallas (68) stay ahead in the standings.
So if everything stays about the same, even 9th in the East may land us a top 10 pick.
On top of that, Atlanta is only 1 point behind the Rangers with 2 games in hand, while TB is only 2 points behind with 2 games in hand. Conceivably, the Rangers could easily fall to 7th overall. That's where they should want to be...with the opportunity to jump to 3rd if they win the lottery. And, given Boston's strength at center, it would not shock me to see them take Fowler at #2, after the Oilers take Hall at #1, thus leaving Seguin available at #3.

Old
03-07-2010, 10:44 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Look on the bright side, 10 of our last 16 games are on the road

Old
03-07-2010, 10:44 PM
Crease

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
On top of that, Atlanta is only 1 point behind the Rangers with 2 games in hand, while TB is only 2 points behind with 2 games in hand. Conceivably, the Rangers could easily fall to 7th overall. That's where they should want to be...with the opportunity to jump to 3rd if they win the lottery. And, given Boston's strength at center, it would not shock me to see them take Fowler at #2, after the Oilers take Hall at #1, thus leaving Seguin available at #3.
Only the bottom 5 teams are involved in the lottery. Which is why 25th is the magic number. Falling to 25 gives us a chance to get Hall, Seguin, or Fowler.

Old
03-07-2010, 10:46 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
We're still in it!

Still pissed these jokers didn't sell last week. Certainly could have added a couple second round picks which could have been used to move up into the top 5 to land an impact player. At least at this rate we'll be pretty close to that spot anyway.
I don't know where everyone got this idea that impact players don't exist outside of the top 5. I really don't get it.

Old
Inferno
HFB Partner

this was the toughest part of our schedule, and we picked up a point a game.

I'll take it. Now start beating up on the teams we are directly competing against.

Old
Crease

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
I don't know where everyone got this idea that impact players don't exist outside of the top 5. I really don't get it.
They do. They're just tougher to find, and tend to develop slower.

Old
03-07-2010, 10:48 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
Only the bottom 5 teams are involved in the lottery. Which is why 25th is the magic number. Falling to 25 gives us a chance to get Hall, Seguin, or Fowler.
Nope...any team that fails to make the playoffs makes the draft lottery, but, they can only move four places. The bottom five teams are the only ones with the opportunity to pick #1 overall.

NHL Draft Lottery

Quote:
The selection order in the first round is subject to a lottery, held among the teams that hold the top 14 picks. There is only one winning team in the lottery. That team moves up a maximum of four places in the draft order. The lottery is weighted to favor the teams with the fewest points. It was introduced to prevent a weak team from deliberately losing to guarantee itself a high draft pick.

Old
03-07-2010, 10:49 PM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Plains Batman View Post
I don't mind Avery but the truth is he's not a Championship caliber player. There's a reason Detroit got rid of him.
lol, it was actually to get Matheiu Schneider in a pretty big trade, but believe what you like.

Old
03-07-2010, 10:53 PM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamoovechkin View Post
The painful thing is, we have some nice pieces. Henrik, for my money is the best goaler in the game. Gaborik is a sniper par excellence, and is still in his prime. Cally is a heart and soul player with maybe second line upside. Mark Staal is a decent second pairing shutdown defender, and Michael Del Zotto has a bright future, plus minus nothwithstanding.
Problem is we've got nothing else going at all. Zip, nada. We just cannot score goals, and the team has little or no personality or cohesiveness. If we make the playoffs, (which is a distinct possiblity because MTL and BOS don't show me much), it will be a small miracle!
I don't see what's so painful about this.

Tonight's game was an entertaining game to watch.

Buffalo's no pushover a team.

I get that everyone seems to think it's a simple task to win the stanley cup, but the fact is there are few teams that are true contenders from the start of a season on, a few sleeper teams, and a bunch of losers.

We're a lot better off than most teams. Go watch a Maple Leafs game, or an Oilers game, please. I'm so sick of the pessimism. Yeah, we've got problems, and we're not going to win the cup, or get Taylor Hall. Wahhhhhh. This doesn't mean we won't win.

Everyone that's so hell bent on the fact that a top 5 pick = success should just abandon ship for Washington or Pittsburgh. Go get a nice Crosby jersey or something. Or wait to see where Hall goes and hop on that bandwagon.

Old
03-07-2010, 10:59 PM
Crease

The thing I'm most envious about the Devils is the winning culture they created back in the mid 1990s. It's no coincidence that they've been near the top of the Eastern Conference since 1994. They put together a core of players with strong leadership ability and harvested a winning culture. The core they have today is an extension of the same philosophy their forefathers (Stevens, Daneyko, Niedermayer, and Brodeur) created. Because of this, no matter what their roster turnover is, their culture, attitude, and expectations stay the same.

My biggest issue with the Rangers? Our longest tenured player is Michael Rozsival. We've spend the better part of a decade throwing crap at the wall hoping something sticks, and as a result we have no identity, no culture to speak of, and no organizational philosophy for new guys to come into.

Old
03-07-2010, 11:08 PM
KreiMeARiver
Have Confidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalDynamics View Post
Yeah, Avery is the reason this team couldn't get wet in a thunderstorm.Please.

He's lucky if he sees 12 minutes of ice a night but of course certain posters feel that is too much and he should be taken out and put down like a rabid animal.
seriously...

he's the scapegoat du jour.

Old
03-07-2010, 11:09 PM
RangerFan10

Quote:
They do. They're just tougher to find, and tend to develop slower.
Unless youre drafting 1st overall and MAYBE 2nd overall its not all that much of a guarantee either. Can you imagine how much NY would hate it if we used the 2nd overall pick to take Jordan Staal over Backstrom and Toews, Backstrom, and Kessel in 2006? Class of 2007, so far Kane's the only one to really live up to being a top 5, and only 2 are in the NHL right now. You get guys like Mike Green at 29, Anze Kopitar at 11, etc. every year. I feel like the odds of finding a stud outside of the top 5 are greater than someone in the top 5 actually being a true impact player.

Del Zotto at 20 in 2008 could easily be better than Pietrangelo at 4, Luke Schenn at 5, Colten Teurbert at 13, Erik Karlsson at 15, Jake Gardiner at 17. You ask me, he's an impact player, and we got him 20th overall. Tyler Myers was taken 12th and I think he's going to be the next Zdeno Chara, which as good as Doughty has been (2nd overall) and Bogosian has been (3rd) I'll take over them anyday.

Old
03-07-2010, 11:11 PM
Crease

Quote:
Unless youre drafting 1st overall and MAYBE 2nd overall its not all that much of a guarantee either. Can you imagine how much NY would hate it if we used the 2nd overall pick to take Jordan Staal over Backstrom and Toews, Backstrom, and Kessel in 2006? Class of 2007, so far Kane's the only one to really live up to being a top 5, and only 2 are in the NHL right now. You get guys like Mike Green at 29, Anze Kopitar at 11, etc. every year. I feel like the odds of finding a stud outside of the top 5 are greater than someone in the top 5 actually being a true impact player.

Del Zotto at 20 in 2008 could easily be better than Pietrangelo at 4, Luke Schenn at 5, Colten Teurbert at 13, Erik Karlsson at 15, Jake Gardiner at 17. You ask me, he's an impact player, and we got him 20th overall. Tyler Myers was taken 12th and I think he's going to be the next Zdeno Chara, which as good as Doughty has been (2nd overall) and Bogosian has been (3rd) I'll take over them anyday.
You're right. You can draft stars anywhere. But you can't ignore the simple fact that you're more likely to nab a gem with a higher pick.

Old
03-07-2010, 11:14 PM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by hightide85 View Post
seriously...

he's the scapegoat du jour.
His offensive production is way down though. The guy was a 20 goal 30 assist guy when he first joined the team. Perhaps he was playing out of his mind and way above his potential but if you're hoping for anything close to that you're now pretty disappointed.

Old
03-07-2010, 11:21 PM
RangerFan10

Quote:
You're right. You can draft stars anywhere. But you can't ignore the simple fact that you're more likely to nab a gem with a higher pick.
And I'm not, I just love the posters that think the only way we'll ever win a cup is if we get into the top 5.

Old
03-07-2010, 11:23 PM
Crease

Quote:
And I'm not, I just love the posters that think the only way we'll ever win a cup is if we get into the top 5.
If we're gunna suck, we might as well suck all the way.

Old
03-07-2010, 11:23 PM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

Quote:

The only part I will disagree with is that last statement. No way in hell do I take Myers over Doughty, regardless of how good he is, Doughty is just a monster.

Old
03-07-2010, 11:28 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by genericnyrusername View Post
I completely agree with that, and it seems you're the only one who understood I was talking about the timing being ridiculous not the sentiment.

It's fine if you don't like some of the moves of the organization but this constant knee-jerk complaining after every loss is bothersome to put it nicely.
It can't possibly be more bothersome than Sather is to the fans of this club that are sick and tired of the stupid approach to team building that this team adheres to. And I'm putting that very nicely.

Even if Sather is simply following the orders of Dolan, even if Dolan demands playoff teams every year...well you know what, find someone who does a better job of that than Sather. 10 years, we haven't won a thing. 5 years since the lockout, our team may not even make the playoffs, and if it does, will be trounced quickly. We have a very, very poor hockey team, and we don't have the talent in our organization to become a great team.

Quote:
And fewer people react positively when we win. Usually things are just quieter.
That's because after so many games, even the simplest Ranger fans aren't fooled anymore. The team puts up great games (or games that appear to be great to certain viewers) somewhat regularly. Occasionally, they even put together little streaks.

But more often than not, these wins are meaningless, because they play horrible, horrible games where they do absolutely nothing on offense, like they did in this game. It's just like so many other Ranger games this season.

Tons of poor perimeter shots, hardly any cycling, hardly any play development.

Quote:
Originally Posted by genericnyrusername View Post
His offensive production is way down though. The guy was a 20 goal 30 assist guy when he first joined the team. Perhaps he was playing out of his mind and way above his potential but if you're hoping for anything close to that you're now pretty disappointed.
Avery is just another victim. Just like Drury, just like Callahan, just like Dubinsky...the list goes on. The only one who isn't a victim on this team is Prospal, he gets to play with Gaborik. Everyone else is ****ed.

They're all victims of something they can't control. They're placed in the wrong roles. All of them, and that's one man's fault.

Old
03-07-2010, 11:31 PM
Crease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
Avery is just another victim. Just like Drury, just like Callahan, just like Dubinsky...the list goes on. The only one who isn't a victim on this team is Prospal, he gets to play with Gaborik. Everyone else is ****ed.

They're all victims of something they can't control. They're placed in the wrong roles. All of them, and that's one man's fault.
Too many dishwashers, not enough chefs. Yet people wonder why the food sucks.

Old
03-07-2010, 11:32 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
We're still in it!
In what? In a rut? In a garbage dump?

Old
03-07-2010, 11:39 PM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
It can't possibly be more bothersome than Sather is to the fans of this club that are sick and tired of the stupid approach to team building that this team adheres to. And I'm putting that very nicely.

Even if Sather is simply following the orders of Dolan, even if Dolan demands playoff teams every year...well you know what, find someone who does a better job of that than Sather. 10 years, we haven't won a thing. 5 years since the lockout, our team may not even make the playoffs, and if it does, will be trounced quickly. We have a very, very poor hockey team, and we don't have the talent in our organization to become a great team.

That's because after so many games, even the simplest Ranger fans aren't fooled anymore. The team puts up great games (or games that appear to be great to certain viewers) somewhat regularly. Occasionally, they even put together little streaks.

But more often than not, these wins are meaningless, because they play horrible, horrible games where they do absolutely nothing on offense, like they did in this game. It's just like so many other Ranger games this season.

Tons of poor perimeter shots, hardly any cycling, hardly any play development.

That's where we fundamentally disagree. And I feel like we've talked a bunch about this so I'm not going to repeat my reasons why again, unless you really want me to

The avery thing is new though and I think pretty interesting. I don't think I agree with you here because for the most part he's been a bottom six guy this year. So he's playing with similar talent you'd expect him to be playing with. Also I did already post this but in basically a seasons worth of games with us, the first seasons worth of games he was with us (86 games), he put up 20 (something) goals and 30 (something) assists for I believe 53 pts, definitely was over 50. So that's a far cry from what he's doing now.

Closed Thread