HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

So is Bauer considered to be the best?

Old
03-07-2010, 11:41 PM
cmdrdredd

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBucky View Post
I have a hard time buying anything Reebok because of their affiliation with Crosby. Who knows though, if I like this CCM stick I might have to put my Crosby hating boycot of Reebok aside.
When I was shopping for skates I tried on a pair of Reeboks and they fit really well.
I checked out a few Reebok sticks at the local hockey shop and while they were a little pricey, they looked like really sweet sticks and were really light.

If it feels good then it's good. Who cares who uses what. I don't use CCM skates because Ovechkin does. Use what's good for you. The pros get free gear, we don't.

cmdrdredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 11:48 PM
Badger36

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post

If it feels good then it's good. Who cares who uses what. I don't use CCM skates because Ovechkin does. Use what's good for you. The pros get free gear, we don't.
True, but you dont understand my feelings towards Crosby. Words couldnt express how much I dislike that guy!
Thats why Im a little bit afraid to try anything Reebok. Im afraid I might like it!

Badger36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 11:50 PM
wearethegreek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ti-girl View Post
and I hate Bauer.
I've tried their skates, including the one90s when they came out and they were nothing but problems. They gave me blisters where I didn't think you could GET blisters and they cut up the back of my legs.

I'm a CCM/RBK girl all the way.
Wide foot! Wide foot!

wearethegreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2010, 11:50 PM
SpringfieldSkins

To be honest, I really like the look of the curve on Crosby's stick. I haven't ever used one, but it looks good enough. Also, one of the reasons I chose CCM skates over Bauer is because Ovechkin uses them.

SpringfieldSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 12:08 AM
cmdrdredd

Quote:
True, but you dont understand my feelings towards Crosby. Words couldnt express how much I dislike that guy!
Thats why Im a little bit afraid to try anything Reebok. Im afraid I might like it!
I still don't understand the mentality. When gear works and feels good you should use it. I mean, it's almost like cheating yourself out of what might be just what you need. I won't go buy a certain car because my favorite Nascar driver is sponsored by that manufacturer or refuse to buy a anything Nike because I dislike someone they sponsor.

I don't know, maybe I'm different. I keep all options open and try everything before making a decision. Whatever you like.

cmdrdredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 12:24 AM
Ti-girl

Send a message via AIM to Ti-girl Send a message via Yahoo to Ti-girl
Quote:
Originally Posted by wearethegreek View Post
Wide foot! Wide foot!
Hahaha, I actually have a really short foot, which is why I wear kids skates and a freakishly narrow heel. Wide toe box, narrow heel = pump skates.

03-08-2010, 12:28 AM
trisgale

Quote:
I still don't understand the mentality. When gear works and feels good you should use it. I mean, it's almost like cheating yourself out of what might be just what you need. I won't go buy a certain car because my favorite Nascar driver is sponsored by that manufacturer or refuse to buy a anything Nike because I dislike someone they sponsor.

I don't know, maybe I'm different. I keep all options open and try everything before making a decision. Whatever you like.
I for some reason don't like nike, I went to the shop with a list of easton gear to buy, the sales person, brought me over some nike/bauer and other brands to compare fit with my list of easton stuff. I walked out with nike/bauer gear shoulders, shins gloves, pants, ccm elbows, rbk helmet and no easton stuff. like the origninal poster said, don't ignore other brands because you hate a pro wearing it because you might miss out on some perfect fitting gear.

trisgale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 12:54 AM
blueberrydanish

with skates I wanna really say it comes down to what fits your foot best. With that it can vary very easily so its very subjective in terms of fit and feels which is the biggest factor in choosing skates. I think in terms of overall use though as some said earlier Bauer is the more popular selection.

I also use a bauer stick and helmet and love them both. Shoulders and elbow pads too but Im not a big fan of the shoulderpads but thats just because shoulderpads in general are uncomfortable and restricting.

blueberrydanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 01:03 AM
Skraut

I went with what fits best, and it just worked out that I don't have more than 2 pieces of equipment from the same company.

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 01:03 AM
Heat McManus

Quote:
I got the protective gear thing. I read the comment wrong. I guess if you're buying what the pros use and what is popular then you'd probably go with Easton. I think some areas have different brand loyalties too. A lot of new people seem to use what the guys who are good in their local area use. At least until they know what the different brands and models offer them. That's what I've noticed anyway.
it's really ALL personal preference.

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 01:06 AM
FloPoErich

I was lucky and the first pair of skates I tried on fit me great. They happened to be Vapors. Now I know it's likely because I have a normal or narrower foot. I like Bauer sticks because the price at which I've been able to get them and I like the curve (PM9) which is what my brother in law was using when he let me try out his composites. I have tried Easton sticks and I like them, but can't justify paying for them with how little I play.

FloPoErich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 01:23 AM
densetsu

It's already been said countless times, but I'll say it again: what's best is what's best for you.

As a kid, I grew up wearing Bauer skates passed down from my older brother. The Bauer skates fit my brother like a second skin, but I had pains in the side of my feet. My dad generally ignored my complaints. When I finally bought my own skates, I found that Graf made a skate that fit me much better, and the pain went away.

I'm sure Bauer skates fit some people the best, and Graf or Easton or Reebok fit other people the best.

There are many nuances to skates besides sizing (which in itself has many aspects). Best thing is to do research online, then go into a well-reputed LHS with your knowledge and -- together with an employee -- find a skate that's best for you.

densetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 01:46 AM
nullterm

vCash: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by wearethegreek View Post
Wide foot! Wide foot!
Hahaha. I'm a CCM fan too as far as skates. They were the best fit for my feet, which are I guess wide. Don't walk in the store with a brand or model in mind. Walk out with the best fit for you.

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 04:19 AM
HowToHockey

It all comes down to personal preference. I love Bauer, my friend likes CCM.

The Hockey Movement The Hockey Movement
HowToHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 07:07 AM
VickiUKHockeyFan

I have the same skates as the OP, although I'm just using them recreationally right now. When I told a hockey playing university lecturer which ones I'd got, he said "NICE! Pretty good for a first or even second pair of skates."

They do look nice though

VickiUKHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 07:15 AM
izzy3

I use Vapors even though I have very wide feet. I use the EEs OK, but they're still not as wide as a CCM. What I realised them about though, is they give me more control stopping and transitioning as the CCMs I had before. Buddy told me it's because "they put you on your toes". Whatever it is, my skating improved with them.

My trick to use these narrower skates is that I leave it pretty loose around the footbed, but I tie them real good at the ankles. After reading Laura Stamm's Powerskating book, I realised even she recommends it that way.

izzy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 07:31 AM
Halifaxhab*

I had been religous in my use of CCM equipment, until a few years ago, I switched to Rbk skates, it was like putting on running shoes, no heat moulding, no break in time, they were comfortable right off the bat. Now I need new blades for them so I'm debating replacing th eblade or getting new skates.

Because of the switch in skates, I gave a chance to one piece composite sticks. I had been a hickory guy all my life (because it hurt more when you slashed ) but the composite sticks really are great, light and pretty durable. I used to need a new stick every 15-20 ice times, now I've gone an entire season (about 45 games) without needing a new stick.

Halifaxhab* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 09:11 AM
stick9

Quote:
CCM and Reebok are pretty much the same. CCM is owned by Reebok. I recently won an Ebay auction for a CCM Vector stick and it will be interesting to see how it compares to the Nike Bauer sticks Ive used.
I was actually planning on buying a new Sherwood stick, but I managed to score this CCM stick on Ebay for less money. Since Im not 100% sure that Im going to like playing hockey enough to continue it long-term, Im trying to save money on hockey equipment when possible.
Bauer is far superior to CCM in the stick department. Though it may not be as noticeable at lower end product lines.

Bauer is def the most popular brand, but I wouldn't call them the best. They do a lot things very well and with two separate product lines they appeal to a wide range of players.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 11:02 AM
JMUcapsfan07

I'm really not sure because I'm brand new to the sport.

However, I'm really liking my Supreme One55's that I've been skating in for about 2 weeks now. They feel better every time I put them on - and I think the CCM's I almost bought would have been a bit too wide for my foot.

I do like whatever influence Nike had on the design of the skates. After seeing the new Supreme line I think that the old Supreme's were much more visually appealing. (Not that it matters really)

JMUcapsfan07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 12:02 PM
TBLightningFan

Send a message via AIM to TBLightningFan Send a message via MSN to TBLightningFan
Brand loyalty is ok and all. When it come to this kind of thing, especially skates... whatever is the most comfrotable for your foot and your skating style. If the worlds most comfortable skate falls apart every 5 years (just an exaggeration) and performs best for ME... so be it. I dont care what brand it is... I'm buying.

Get what works for you, forget the brand.

TBLightningFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 04:14 PM
Johan Santana

what are we?

the best brand is the brand that makes the gear that FITS YOU THE BEST

If your awesome Koho's fit your foot the best and is still beasting, IT IS THE BEST BRAND. If your Bauer One95 fits your foot the best, then thats THE BEST BRAND for you. I think my bag includes EVER single hockey brand imaginable (Jofa, Koho, Itech, TPS, Sher-Wood, Mission etc.) and I love all of my gear because they all fit fantastic and work for me.

leave brand-******* to 14-25 year old women shopping at nordstrom...

Johan Santana is offline   Reply With Quote