HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Blog says Coyotes are moving to Winnipeg

Closed Thread

Old
03-07-2010, 05:54 PM
52G228PIM*

vCash: 500
I am sure the other 6 teams in Canada are all in favor of a 7th team clipping part of their fan base and revenue..

Old
03-07-2010, 05:54 PM
RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
That line of reasoning, while sound, assumes the NHL would just keep funding the team until someone who could close the deal came along. If IEH doesn't close and they truly are, as it appears, the only interested party... what can the NHL do but move or fold?
Nonsense, assumes nothing of the sort. Seriously, you can't think of any other ideas to minimize Glendale's damage besides the league continuing to fund the team?

Old
03-07-2010, 06:01 PM
gemini617az

All rumor, speculation, etc. aside

I personally (like many) won't feel relief in this situation until the botton line is signed and the Coyotes are firm and legal to stay in Phoenix

Until then, I will continue to feel a shred of doubt

If they stay = elated

If they go = extremely disappointed

Old
03-07-2010, 06:08 PM
Lorenzo1000

Being a Winnipegger I would love to have an NHL team again. The Jets/Coyotes have always been my team and I don't want them to move. I wouldn't want the fans from the Phoenix area to experience the heartbreak that I went through when the Jets left town. I'm sure given the source that this is not true and the Coyotes will be staying. I'll be cheering them on via Center Ice for years to come!!!

Old
03-07-2010, 07:32 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Yote View Post
Who the hell is Peter Tessier?

I'll tell you who he is. He's the guy that knows a guy or at least talked to him once for a minute or maybe less that is really close to the situation and knows almost for sure that the Coyotes are moving back to Winnipeg. And if you all knew who this guy is that the guy we've never heard of talked to for maybe a minute or maybe a bit longer was you would know that this is a sure thing. Unfortunately Peter can't tell you who the guy is but if he could you wouldn't doubt it either. Too bad, this secrecy thing bites balls.

And some of you don't buy this? Come on people...

Old
03-07-2010, 07:41 PM
Trizent

Quote:
Originally Posted by 52G228PIM View Post
I am sure the other 6 teams in Canada are all in favor of a 7th team clipping part of their fan base and revenue..
I live in Edmonton and have a condo in Phoenix. I so much prefer that Phoenix Coyotes stay in Phoenix, but in terms of money dumped into Phoenix for revenue sharing and the current mess, a comment saying Winnipeg will cost Canadian teams revenue ... umm Phoenix has taken a large sum of money every year in revenue from all teams including Canadians ones.

I am not a hater at all and love Phoenix and the amazing Glendale facility.

Old
03-07-2010, 08:04 PM
kdb209
Global Moderator

I wouldn't put to much stock in rumors for now.

We're all still waiting for that guaranteed-gonna-happen-I-heard-it-on-the-internet March 4 press conference.

The mayor of Winnipeg was publicly quoted just three days ago stating nothing was imminent.

My thoughts about these bloggers is captured in this quote from him:

C&P-ing from the BoH board:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb209
Quote:
Originally Posted by LT View Post
This is what the Mayor of Winnipeg has to say about all the rumours. I would think that he would know?

http://www.winnipegsun.com/sports/ho.../13111931.html
This:

Quote:
"We know there are many Winnipeggers and hockey fans who would love to see the NHL come back to our great city, and maybe in time that will happen. But I can tell you that from the sources I have, these rumours have absolutely no foundation and no truth to them," Katz said.

"And it's extremely unfortunate that the hopes of those who want to see the NHL will be raised to a phenomenal level and then could be let down again. That's just not fair."

Katz added that he doesn't "have a clue" where the rumours -- among the most recent, that NHL commissioner Gary Bettman was at MTS Centre Tuesday night while the AHL's Manitoba Moose were playing the Worcester Sharks -- have come from in recent weeks.

"All I know is that they're not true," Katz told the Winnipeg Sun.

"The NHL could come back to Winnipeg in the future, but it's not happening right now. And whoever is creating these rumours should stop it. I've heard them all -- and I'm telling you there's no truth to it."
edit: as well as unduly messing with the fans in Phoenix & Atlanta as well.

Last edited by kdb209: 03-07-2010 at 08:22 PM.
Old
03-07-2010, 08:08 PM

I haven't been to Hockeybuzz in at least a year now, good for me, but I don't believe an ounce of anything that comes from there unless it's Andy Strickland. Strickland is the most reliable guy over there (when I last checked) and he actually damages himself by the company he keeps.

I don't put any stock in a move to Winnipeg at this point. IEH obviously needs to come in here and buy to team to give them a shot in Phoenix, and if no other ownership groups steps forward then I think we could see the team moved to (name it). However, I think the NHL will wait for that process to conclude this season into the offseason and even see if the team can be profitable going into next year if there is any interest from a potential ownership group. I suspect they might re-engage previous groups that expressed interest and see if all options have been exhausted.

I don't think 2009-2010 is the last season in Phoenix, but 2010-2011 could be the last season if an ownership group doesn't step forward to keep them in Phoenix.

Old
03-07-2010, 09:14 PM
Colt45Blast
is in your head

On a positive note the Coyotes are adding new sponsors this season which that alone is a big sign that relocation is not happening as of yet.
Krispy Kreme(I'd rather have Dunkin Donuts instead but hey it is what it is)
Discount Cab
Enterprise Rent A Car

We might those lose 2 others due to their company's own issues
Toyota and Danny's Car Wash.

On a side note Pepsi( as much as I hate em ) has become more aggressive with promoting the Coyotes this season.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old
03-07-2010, 10:43 PM
hbk

There's a number of fans of teams below us in the standings that like our playoff position and they will float this stuff out there in hopes that it disrupts things for the team. Don't believe the hype and don't feed into it. Focus on the success and ignore the rest.

Old
03-07-2010, 11:32 PM
Llewzaher

Well last week on the Fan960 in Calgary they were asking a reporter in Winnipeg who is saying that a NHL team is coming to Winnipeg. But they never said the Coyotes they never said the Thrashers . The reporter was speculating whether it could be an expansion team but he doubted that ,but he had no idea. It is very hush hush , but not as much as they would like . They never mentioned the Coyotes at all , not that it means anything .

I seriously doubt that the yotes move. If negotiations with Glendale were going that bad ,I think it would be mentioned alot more . And the only reason they would move from Phoenix would be the negotiations on the lease no?

Old
03-07-2010, 11:35 PM
XX
... Waiting

The boys in the locker room are focused on taking one game at a time, and the playoffs. We should do the same.

I'm not sure why 3 pages were wasted on a blogger who can't even spell correctly.

Old
03-08-2010, 01:47 AM
52G228PIM*

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
The boys in the locker room are focused on taking one game at a time, and the playoffs. We should do the same.

I'm not sure why 3 pages were wasted on a blogger who can't even spell correctly.
Excellent point..

Old
03-08-2010, 01:56 AM
52G228PIM*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trizent View Post
I live in Edmonton and have a condo in Phoenix. I so much prefer that Phoenix Coyotes stay in Phoenix, but in terms of money dumped into Phoenix for revenue sharing and the current mess, a comment saying Winnipeg will cost Canadian teams revenue ... umm Phoenix has taken a large sum of money every year in revenue from all teams including Canadians ones.

I am not a hater at all and love Phoenix and the amazing Glendale facility.
The team in Phoenix(assuming it loses money) comes out of the league's till.. The support for a 7th team comes at the direct expense of the other 6 teams.. You do not grow the game and you defiantly do not expand revenue, you only succeed in reorganizing the Canadian fan base.. The whole NHL business plan is to make billions in the U.S.A... I really would not look for these relentless business titans to change the plans of a 2.6 billion dollar organization because of 20 or even 40 million dollars..

The NHL burning Glendale would kill the chances of expanding into U.S. markets using public funds to build venues.. I am sure nothing would make some Canadian purists happier, but it is not going to happen.. The NHL will be willing to lose MILLIONS and MILLIONS if need be in Glendale but it will NEVER abandon a public funded facility..

Old
03-08-2010, 02:35 AM
gorsk11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 52G228PIM View Post
The team in Phoenix(assuming it loses money) comes out of the league's till.. The support for a 7th team comes at the direct expense of the other 6 teams.. You do not grow the game and you defiantly do not expand revenue, you only succeed in reorganizing the Canadian fan base.. The whole NHL business plan is to make billions in the U.S.A... I really would not look for these relentless business titans to change the plans of a 2.6 billion dollar organization because of 20 or even 40 million dollars..
Unfortunately, I don't agree with your comment here. If you put a team in Winnipeg, you would be increasing revenue. My uneducated guess is there is only a small fraction of money in Winnipeg being spent on the NHL. Add a team - you add revenue. You might even grow the sport's fan base. Just because its in Canada, doesn't mean you are automatically taking money or fans away from the other six teams.

BTW - I think the whole article is a farce - they need to generate people to their website.

Old
03-08-2010, 09:51 AM
gemini617az

Lots has been said, I hope this article is a farce

We (hubby & I) are waiting for someone from the NHL to come along and deny this article ... bet we'll be waiting a while huh!

Hubby and I were talking though, last year when we rec'd the info about our pre-sale play-off tickets, we also rec'd info on our '09-'10 season tix in the same mailing

That didn't happen this year

To date, we have rec'd no communication for '10-'11 season tix sales

**We aren't being negative about this situation, we are very hopeful BUT we're also being realistic about the possibility of a move

Last edited by gemini617az: 03-08-2010 at 10:13 AM. Reason: Added thought**
Old
03-08-2010, 10:01 AM
WJG
Running and Rioting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
I don't think 2009-2010 is the last season in Phoenix, but 2010-2011 could be the last season if an ownership group doesn't step forward to keep them in Phoenix.
I'm not sure about that. Back during the court proceedings, Daly had this to say:

Quote:
"By acquiring the team at this time the NHL will be able to salvage the team's 2009-10 season and can establish a more constructive timetable in which to solicit acceptable offers from qualified parties, including, if a potential buyer wishing to keep the team in Glendale cannot be found, conducting an organized process to relocate the franchise in another territory," he wrote.
Then this:

Quote:
"We want to sit down with the City of Glendale and see if we can come up with a 'win-win' for the franchise. We haven't been involved in those types of discussions to this point. But if we (or any of the other local bidders) aren't successful in doing that, we are prepared to consider offers that would entail relocation of the franchise."
http://www.thespec.com/article/625455

Old
03-08-2010, 10:48 AM
SuperDave21
Hockey Paradise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Running Riot View Post
I'm not sure about that. Back during the court proceedings, Daly had this to say:

Then this:

http://www.thespec.com/article/625455
That was also back in August of 2009. Things have changed quite drastically since then. Please provide articles that contain the newest information, not re-post something from 7 months ago before the season began.

Old
03-08-2010, 12:25 PM
MP

I checked TSN and the Globe and Mail this morning, expecting to find their columnists cheering the impending move. If some a-hole from HockeyBuzz knows about it, you'd think the Canadian press--the prophets of that religion known to us humble supplicants as the game of hockey--would be all over it. Many members of that esteemed fraternity have made no bones about their desire to see the Coyotes moved back to Canada, and if there was a kernel of truth to this over-excited--well, hate to repeat myself, but the man is a twit--this over-excited twit's frothy maundering, one would think the Damien Coxes (Coxen?) of the world would jump on it immediately.

Instead...

Crickets.

(I do feel, to some extent, as though I'm guilty of indulging the delusions of the mentally deficient. It's just that sometimes, it's kind of fun.)

Old
03-08-2010, 12:36 PM
RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini617az View Post
Lots has been said, I hope this article is a farce

We (hubby & I) are waiting for someone from the NHL to come along and deny this article ... bet we'll be waiting a while huh!

Hubby and I were talking though, last year when we rec'd the info about our pre-sale play-off tickets, we also rec'd info on our '09-'10 season tix in the same mailing

That didn't happen this year

To date, we have rec'd no communication for '10-'11 season tix sales

**We aren't being negative about this situation, we are very hopeful BUT we're also being realistic about the possibility of a move
I asked my rep about renewals last week and he said they are having to hold off for now because of the ownership situation, but the hope was the push would start at the end of this month when playoff tickets are mailed out.

I've decided to go "ear-muffs" down the stretch, enjoy the rest of the regular season and look forward to some home playoff games. Paying attention to all the noise is just a waste of time.

Old
03-08-2010, 12:53 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini617az View Post
He's just asking questions!

Ok the above link is a South Park spoof of glenn beck but it applies to these cheese bloggers as well. They drum up controversy, get everyone chest thumping (not you specifically) and then profit from it.

Old
03-08-2010, 12:55 PM
TJinAZ

Local Media addresses this

Jim G our beat writer for the Coyotes had this to day

http://www.azcentral.com/members/Blog/JimGintonio/75597

I don't really believe it but, like everyone else, until Ice Edge or someone else signs on the dotted line I am concerned.

Old
03-08-2010, 01:44 PM
edog37

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP View Post
Something else occurred to me--MTS Centre is too small to be an NHL arena without some major renovations, which means the total cost of relocation would increase by, I would guess, several millions of dollars. We don't know for sure exactly what the City of Glendale would want either, but they will not be content to be left with expensive, empty arena. The costs of moving the team are already likely to be high, and moving it to Winnipeg would only make the whole enterprise more expensive. Finally, I don't doubt that ticket sales would be brisk, but there's more to running a franchise than gate revenues. As I recall, corporate support has long been a question whenever Winnipeg (or central Canada) has been brought up as a possible relocation/expansion candidate, and unless something's changed in that respect, I would think it will take longer than it otherwise would to recoup all the costs incurred during the move.

TL;DR version: This Tessier person is a twit. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if the reason that neither IEH nor the NHL have responded to this rumor is that they don't know it exists because--and this may be difficult to believe, I admit--they don't know or care about what some twit posted on HockeyBuzz.
Per ESPN.....

http://espn.go.com/nhl/attendance

15K at the MTS Centre beats 11,296 at Jobing.Com....size of the arena in this case doesn't matter, only bottom line....

Is Glendale willing to pony up $20-30M per year to keep the Coyotes? In this economy?

Old
03-08-2010, 01:47 PM
AZCOYOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by edog37 View Post
P

Is Glendale willing to pony up $20-30M per year to keep the Coyotes? In this economy?
Who's saying they have to?

Old
03-08-2010, 02:07 PM
52G228PIM*

This might be a repeat, but who cares..

http://hockeybuzzhogwash.com/

Closed Thread