HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The AHL
The AHL Discuss the American Hockey League; its players, teams, and games.

Planet USA All-Star Team Announced

Closed Thread

Old
01-29-2005, 04:42 PM
pelts35.com

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLH
They may both be "worthy", but they're not equally worthy. Had Miller not made the All-Star team it would have been a joke, while Toivonen wasn't merely a snub based on fans voting in the starter. Toivonen has been one of the best few goalies in his conference, while Miller has been a league MVP caliber player.
Saying that it would have been a joke is taking it a bit too far, don't you think? It would have been a snub, just like Toivonen not making the team isn't.

Let's remember this, folks, this is a meaningless game for the fans. It's not life and death. Both Miller and Toivonen are good goalies. This game and one's inclusion and the other's non-inclusion, doesn't change that either way. Who will be a better NHL netminder is a different story for a different thread for a different day.

Old
01-29-2005, 09:40 PM
bruins4777*

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com
A stacked Philly team? Since the streak, the Phantoms have had 3 of their defensemen on IR and are relying on their 7th dman and ECHLers. Despite that, his GAA is still under 2.00.

So, what you are saying is the fact that the Phantoms are in 2nd place in their division has nothing to do with Niittymaki's play? Nittymaki hasn't stolen any games for the Phantoms this season? So, I guess all of his victories were by 3 and 4 goal margins? Sorry, but any guy that has a GAA under 2.00 and a save %age over .920 has to be a little dominant, doesn't he?

Lehtonen is the MVP of the first half per the Hockey News, who has a blatant love affair with him. The fact that he plays in a market with a large fan base like Chicago certainly played into the fact that the was voted the starting netminder.

Nittymaki certainly deserves to have been selected to the team.
Compare providence to the flyers and its quite stacked.

Whether the hockey news has a love affair with them or not is besides the point, he's been great end of story. MVP quality, playing on the worst team in the league and dominating.

Niity deserves some kind of nod, but not over toivenen.

Niity has been great and dominant to an extent, but he hasn't stolen games like hannu.

Old
01-29-2005, 10:02 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruins4777
Whether the hockey news has a love affair with them or not is besides the point, he's been great end of story. MVP quality, playing on the worst team in the league and dominating.
Yes, if I were to compare the FLYERS and the P-Bruins it would be stacked! However, I'm comparing the Phantoms to the P-Bruins and I think that Nittymaki has been a major part of the Phantoms success this season.

You do realize that the P-Bruins have scored more goals than the Phantoms, have more players in the top 20 in scoring (3 to 0) and a better PP, right?

We are going to disagree about Nittymaki and Toivonen. However, it really doesn't matter since the AHL gave the nod to Nittymaki.

However, are you trying to say that the Chicago Wolves are the worst team in the league and that they are 26-15-4-1 only because of Lehtonen? Sorry, but you are way off base. There are at least 10 teams that are much worse than the Wolves (Utah, Springfield, Albany, Portland, Bridgeport, Hamilton, Syracuse, Cleveland, San Antonio and Hershey). Chicago is 4th in the league in PP goals and 7th in the league in goals scored. I guess that has nothing to do with Chicago's success this season though, right? I'm not saying that Lehtonen isn't a contributing factor, but to say that Chicago is the worst team in the league is quite foolish.

Last edited by pelts35.com: 01-29-2005 at 10:09 PM.
Old
01-30-2005, 12:03 AM
bruins4777*

Quote:
Yes, if I were to compare the FLYERS and the P-Bruins it would be stacked! However, I'm comparing the Phantoms to the P-Bruins and I think that Nittymaki has been a major part of the Phantoms success this season.

You do realize that the P-Bruins have scored more goals than the Phantoms, have more players in the top 20 in scoring (3 to 0) and a better PP, right?

We are going to disagree about Nittymaki and Toivonen. However, it really doesn't matter since the AHL gave the nod to Nittymaki.

However, are you trying to say that the Chicago Wolves are the worst team in the league and that they are 26-15-4-1 only because of Lehtonen? Sorry, but you are way off base. There are at least 10 teams that are much worse than the Wolves (Utah, Springfield, Albany, Portland, Bridgeport, Hamilton, Syracuse, Cleveland, San Antonio and Hershey). Chicago is 4th in the league in PP goals and 7th in the league in goals scored. I guess that has nothing to do with Chicago's success this season though, right? I'm not saying that Lehtonen isn't a contributing factor, but to say that Chicago is the worst team in the league is quite foolish.

bleh, phantoms. Anyways, Niity has been a huge part no doubt, when i say he hasn't been "dominant as hannu" thats far from an insult. Niity has been the rock solid bedrock and a HUGE reason they are in games time and time again, but rarely does he have to absolutely STEAL games to the amount that hannu has.

I know niity very well, he has amazing poise and strong legs and a wicked glove, but I really have been more impressed with toivenen this season, not just prospect wise, but goalie vs. goalie wise.

As for the p bruins and their fantastic goal scoring? They have bergy, boyes, and hilbert of course they're going to score a lot. But on defense their only truely solid dman defensively is juricina. Also the p bruins have other various problems, one big one is clearing the zone and adequately clearing the net. They also lack a true puckrusher, dallman is too inconsistent. They have various problems, but the phantoms are quite solid and powerful in all aspects.

As for the wolves? I think you are clearly underrating some teams, but i'll get into that later. They have one legit NHLER and NOTHING else. They have some decent vets, but all in all talent wise they're very weak. A prime example of this was last years playoffs. Sure it was last year, but when they faced milwaukee, that version of milwaukee was lesser than this year's admirals. Then add in how chicago has rocketed downwards talent wise this year and its really mindblowing how bad they are. Wolves have some strong goal scoring, but they would be lit up night after night and wouldnt' have the confidence to take the offensive risks they do if they didn't have lehts. Take the begining of the year for example, Lehtonen was a sieve for the first 10 games with a save percentage under 900 and the wolves were losing like crazy. Yet when lehtonen regained form, looked what happened, their nearly atop of their division again. Which shows how much lehts matters

As for the teams you noted? lets start
utah-this team underachieves a RIDICULOUS AMOUNT. They could be a playoff team, they have sjortsom(spelled that wrong), westrum, lenevu, spiller, white and ballard. Individually its a pretty damn nice game. They obviously blow points wise, but looking at their talent, its bizarre why.

Springfield-no argument

Albany-I think albany could be a playoff team. Take away their massively decimated defense, where they lost 4 people to injury including david hale. Offensively they have the talent in rheamue, mccamond, sluggy, voros, and parise. However they are dreadfully inconsistent and take HORRIBLE penalties, however they certainlly have the potential to win as shown by that begining of the year. Ahonen has lost a huge amount of confidence, but definently has potential. Clemmonson is a similar story.

Portland-Once again ENOURMOUS underachievers. Oulett isn't even trying, morrisonn is capable of better and i've seen it. Eminger as well, aulin, and others are the same story. I think they could make the playoffs and do damage, like they did last year, but they need to work on chemistry and get their act together.

Bridgeport-no argument

Hamilton-Higgins, Hainsey, and so many players on their team are playing inconsistent and underachieving as well. Dannis is showing how incredible of a goaltender he is, its sad that other players on them aren't playing as hard as he is. However i don't mind much since i like dannis, but hate the habs

Syracuse-no real argument here, I'm not totally sure, but i think the'd be better if leclaire were healthy. I kind of think they're actually pretty good i mean tim jackman and alexander svitov are pretty good, but i don't know their team as well as others.

Cleveland-no argument here

San Antonio-THE HIGHEST underachivers in the league. Bouwmeester, Kraijeck, Scott, Weiss, Taticek, globke, novak, kwitakowski, and kolnik. That is some insane talent right there. Why are they losing so badly then? Underachievers galore. Kraijeck has played strong, but inconsistent. Weiss has been very strong, but outside of those two majority of the team has been inconsistent and underachieving, the BIGGEST name on the list of underachievers is without a doubt jay bouwmeester, my fav player. I'm a panthers fan and this team definently has the talent to win the calder, but ridiculous underachieving is the product you see.

Hershey- I see this team more than any other team in the AHL. I don't like them much. But they are perfectly capable of being a great team. Brett Clark, perrin, svatos, budaj, lawson, bala, and darche. They have actually a decent team and i've seen them dominante top teams in the league. Budaj is much better than the numbers show. Clark is a top AHL dman. Perrin is awful skilled. Svatos is NHL caliber talent. Lawson is one of the best backups in the league. Darche and Bala are both underachieving and Masse is a very fine talent. They have some blackspots in boychuk, savage, finger and so forth, but their team is actually quite good and definently better than chicago without lehts.

Old
02-01-2005, 04:04 PM
gopher

Send a message via ICQ to gopher
vanek will not be in the planet usa line-up, he is joining the austrian national team for the olympic qualification.

Old
02-01-2005, 05:07 PM
MLH

Quote:
Saying that it would have been a joke is taking it a bit too far, don't you think?
No, I think he deserves MVP so far, and it would be a joke if the MVP didn't make the all-star game.

Old
02-01-2005, 10:24 PM
Hobey Baker

Send a message via MSN to Hobey Baker
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLH
No, I think he deserves MVP so far, and it would be a joke if the MVP didn't make the all-star game.
AHL Koho Goalie of the Month....

Closed Thread