HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Buffalo 2, Rangers 1 (OT); This is out house.

Closed Thread

Old
03-07-2010, 11:48 PM
Hockey2000nyr

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick00 View Post
I now see no positive outcome to this season at all.

At least before when we were looking at 12-13th place I could feel hopeful about the upcoming draft.

But they're going to finish 9th or 10th and everyone knows it.
Knowing the Rangers, probably 9th, 1 point out of it.
No youth/picks gained at the deadline, no playoffs, and no shot at a top draft pick. They won't even pick in the top 10 this year.

Disgusting in every aspect.
well yes they will finish 9th or 10th in the east, but that is not the same as finishing 9th or 10th in the west. as it stands right now the rangers would pick 9th or 10th in the draft by finishing in 9th or 10th place in the eastern conference.

Old
03-07-2010, 11:56 PM
TheHotRock

watching this team is a truly numbing experience.
i can't wait for the season to be over.

Old
03-08-2010, 12:24 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
I don't know where everyone got this idea that impact players don't exist outside of the top 5. I really don't get it.
I never said they don't. My point was simply that had we dealt Olli and Vinny for a couple 2nd round picks, giving us 3, we could deal a couple of them plus our 1st to move up from 10th (or wherever we end up) if we had our eyes on a particular guy. That said, it's a LOT easier to find impact players inside the top 5 than is to find them elsewhere. This team sure could use a legit home grown 1st line talent...something that is sorely missing. And the bottom line is it's a lot easier to find that when you are one of the first teams stepping up to the podium.

Old
03-08-2010, 01:03 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by genericnyrusername View Post
I completely agree with that, and it seems you're the only one who understood I was talking about the timing being ridiculous not the sentiment.

It's fine if you don't like some of the moves of the organization but this constant knee-jerk complaining after every loss is bothersome to put it nicely.

And fewer people react positively when we win. Usually things are just quieter.
In all fairness, many of us have been complaining for months, win or lose. Years in fact.

I would be careful to surmise this board so quickly, especially when you are relatively new here.

Old
03-08-2010, 01:27 AM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
In all fairness, many of us have been complaining for months, win or lose. Years in fact.

I would be careful to surmise this board so quickly, especially when you are relatively new here.
If it came across as an indictment of everyone realize that that was not my intention. We've argued this for some time now, so I know you've been consistent and I do recognize and respect the views of the people who I disagree with however, I don't think it's beneficial to after every loss start a new thread complaining about how bad the team is. It's purely an emotional response which isn't conducive to debate and it's comes across as a sort of "I told you so" to anyone who has faith in the team as currently constituted. I and others who want to see this current group do well don't start up threads praising the team after each win, but if this keeps going on I might feel more inclined to just to balance things out.

Old
03-08-2010, 02:28 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
If it came across as an indictment of everyone realize that that was not my intention. We've argued this for some time now, so I know you've been consistent and I do recognize and respect the views of the people who I disagree with however, I don't think it's beneficial to after every loss start a new thread complaining about how bad the team is. It's purely an emotional response which isn't conducive to debate and it's comes across as a sort of "I told you so" to anyone who has faith in the team as currently constituted. I and others who want to see this current group do well don't start up threads praising the team after each win, but if this keeps going on I might feel more inclined to just to balance things out.
I am curious to know what faith you have in this team. Honestly, how far do you think this team, as currently constructed, can go?

Old
03-08-2010, 03:22 AM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
Post game analysis;

Can we get Avery off this team? Please?
I've been a huge Avery fan since he came here, but I'm leaning towards agreeing with you. Although for 1.9, he's kind of a bargain. It just sucks that he's often looked to for offense, and you can tell by his play that he's pressing and trying to create more offense but coming up short. He does try to hold onto the puck too much a lot of the time during the cycle. He needs to make one move off the boards (either direction) and then pass the puck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
Gilroy failed on the first goal.

Fail Fail Fail
This is true.

Old
03-08-2010, 03:34 AM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
this was the toughest part of our schedule, and we picked up a point a game.

I'll take it. Now start beating up on the teams we are directly competing against.
Good point. I'll try to focus on this instead of dwelling on the fact that our offense is so extremely bipolar.

Not that Drury hasn't been playing much better lately, but can you imagine if Drury didn't have a NTC and wasn't the captain, and wasn't from Connecticut, and we had traded him to Montreal instead of Gomez. Gomez's ability to gain the zone would've really helped us this year, along with his above average playmaking skill. Heck, he probably would've been a nice fit with Gaborik too. Or HEY, maybe if we didn't have WADE MOTHER EFFING REDDEN, we could've kept Gomez and Drury, and still signed Gaborik.

Dubinsky Gomez Gaborik
Prospal Christensen Callahan
Drury Anisimov Jokinen
Avery Boyle Prust / Shelley / Lisin

or switch Gabby and Cally

Prospal Christensen Gaborik
Dubinsky Gomez Callahan <-- I think this could've been a very nice line this year

I'd much rather be handcuffed by the cap with Gomez at 7 mil than Redden at 6.5. Ahhh the good ole "what ifs"

Old
03-08-2010, 03:39 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelZottoFutureNorris View Post
I'd much rather be handcuffed by the cap with Gomez at 7 mil than Redden at 6.5. Ahhh the good ole "what ifs"
I don't think anyone would disagree with that. That Gomez was the best contract of the 3 is likely the reason we were able to move him.

Old
03-08-2010, 03:49 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
I don't think anyone would disagree with that. That Gomez was the best contract of the 3 is likely the reason we were able to move him.
yep

if Sather pulled off Redden for Mcdonagh and Higgins....that would have been a trade you immediately get fired for if youre Gainey.

Old
03-08-2010, 04:38 AM
chosen

Funny how it's okay to routinely trash Redden, Rozy or Drury but if you dare question Avery, some bristle. He's always been a stupid punk on the ice but at least he used to accomplish some positive things once in a while. Those days are long gone.

Trade him to Vogue for a nice suit.

Old
03-08-2010, 04:49 AM
ChipAyten
NYR-LFC-NYG-NYY

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
Funny how it's okay to routinely trash Redden, Rozy or Drury but if you dare question Avery, some bristle. He's always been a stupid punk on the ice but at least he used to accomplish some positive things once in a while. Those days are long gone.

Trade him to Vogue for a nice suit.
Blasphemous!

Comparing how fans on these boards trash talk Drury, Rozy, Redden to Avery is unfair. Avery's role is not defense. Nor is it to be that high scoring, tremendous leader Sather thought Drury would be when he gave him that contract. Avery is an agitator and grinder, and I think he does it well. He gets in other players heads and messes with their game, and does it quite well. He contributes offensively every so often but that's not his forte, which is why he is on the 3rd line. Everyone knows what they're getting when they sign Avery.

Old
03-08-2010, 05:07 AM
Zil

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipAyten View Post
Blasphemous!

Comparing how fans on these boards trash talk Drury, Rozy, Redden to Avery is unfair. Avery's role is not defense. Nor is it to be that high scoring, tremendous leader Sather thought Drury would be when he gave him that contract. Avery is an agitator and grinder, and I think he does it well. He gets in other players heads and messes with their game, and does it quite well. He contributes offensively every so often but that's not his forte, which is why he is on the 3rd line. Everyone knows what they're getting when they sign Avery.
That's all fine and well, but Avery used to contribute a lot more offensively before this season. He's almost completely lost that part of his game it seems. It was awful watching him tonight. It seemed like every time he had the puck he had no idea what to do with it or where his teammates were on the ice.

Old
03-08-2010, 05:34 AM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
That's all fine and well, but Avery used to contribute a lot more offensively before this season. He's almost completely lost that part of his game it seems. It was awful watching him tonight. It seemed like every time he had the puck he had no idea what to do with it or where his teammates were on the ice.
Avery contributed alot more offensively when placed on a line that had good offensive players.

Avery is not a player that can generate offense. He's a player that greatly benefits/suffers from playing with certain players.

Avery will never be a 20 goal or a consistent 30 assist guy as mentioned. He played over his head when he first got here, played for his contract his 2nd year and has since come back to being typical Sean Avery without the snarl that defined his earlier years.

What made and makes Sean Avery an effective player is to play the game the same way that the Flyers allow Dan Carcillo to play. A player that plays on the edge and sometimes crosses it. Avery seems to be hesitant to play that way and I put alot of that on Torts. He (Torts) wants an in your face kind of team, yet he cuts the legs out from underneath the one player on this team that defines that style to a T.

I'll give credit to Sather for making this team a little tougher to play physically, but Torts needs to aloow players to do what they do best and if that means every so often you have to kill a penalty, so be it. It's part of the game.

It's funny, Prust was tied for the most fights when he was traded here and has been reigned in. He's also become less of a factor over the last few games as well.

Jody Shelly is also a non factor.

Here you have three players that their job, the sole reason for their presense in the NHL is to stir crap up and what do we get?

I really thought that Sather made the right choice in Torts, but I am getting the feeling more and more that this is just another mistake by a man that has made many more mistakes than correct choices over the last 10 years.

But I guess cause we're still in it.....whatever.

Old
03-08-2010, 06:33 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
On top of that, Atlanta is only 1 point behind the Rangers with 2 games in hand, while TB is only 2 points behind with 2 games in hand. Conceivably, the Rangers could easily fall to 7th overall. That's where they should want to be...with the opportunity to jump to 3rd if they win the lottery. And, given Boston's strength at center, it would not shock me to see them take Fowler at #2, after the Oilers take Hall at #1, thus leaving Seguin available at #3.
All of the teams battling for the last 3 spots are flawed, Just when you think Atlanta is going to go on a run they get blown out in TB and shutout at home by Carolina. Boston lost Savard with a concussion. Philly looks like they are going to go on a good run. Montreal has won 3 out of 4 since the break and they deserved a better result in the SJ game which is their only loss. NJ and Ottawa are coming back to the pack. TB is in Montreal and Boston is in Toronto on Tuesday.

Old
03-08-2010, 07:40 AM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
Blame Avery for his teammates not being where they are supposed to be?

Avery gets the puck in the corner? He looks to the front of the net. It's not his fault that no one is there.

Avery gets the puck behind the net, he's looking to the front of the net. Again, not his fault the only ones there are opposing defenceman

Every time he has an opportunity to take the puck to the net he does. Last night was no different and if his line-mates are not going to the areas where you typically score goals, that is not Avery's fault.

Now, that said, last night I actually felt bad for him cause he did look a little lost, but that had more to do with his linemates not willing to pay the price than it did with him not knowing what to do with the puck.

Avery was doing what he is supposed to do. Get the puck to the net. The fact that no one is there makes him look a little lost at times, but that has more to do with his teammates than it does with him.

Seems to me that the Rangers, as a team, have an aversion of going to the net like they are going to offend someone.

It's sad that we have one or 2 forwards that do that consistently. It should be a team concept, and not just an abberation.

Old
03-08-2010, 07:53 AM
NJrocket24

Rule #1- Avery is never to be blamed or have any responsibility placed on him. He makes this team go.
Loss with Avery= avery played hard can't be blamed everyone else didn't do anything.
Win with Avery= He provided the spark OMG he's so crazy/tough to play against. Look at the record with him in the lineup. Correlation= Causation
Loss without Avery= team had no spark just look at the lack of energy. Look at the W-L with avery in the lineup
Win without avery= Not a word said.

Rule #2- Any situation can be resolved by referring back to rule #1.

Old
03-08-2010, 08:04 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Avery wasn't very good, IMO. That will continue as long as he's someone we're looking to for offense. He's not a good fit on this team as it's currently constructed, since he does possess offensive ability but not enough to consistently score--and we're asking him to.

If we had 6 legitimate top six guys, and Avery could settle in on the third line and play 10-11 minutes each night, I'm sure he'd be fine. I think he, like most of the team, is pressing offensively, and making terrible decisions. He's certainly not without fault for the way this season has gone, though I'm not sure why he's receiving so much of the blame.

pld also made a good point about no one being in front of the net when Avery has the puck down low or behind the net. He's ALWAYS looking to throw the puck out front, someone needs to be there. Now maybe he could be a little more creative, sure, but isn't throwing the puck in front of the net one of the best ways to pick up "garbage goals?" On a team starved for offense, it's hard to fathom that we can't pair him with anyone looking to go to the front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJrocket24 View Post
Rule #1- Avery is never to be blamed or have any responsibility placed on him. He makes this team go.
Loss with Avery= avery played hard can't be blamed everyone else didn't do anything.
Win with Avery= He provided the spark OMG he's so crazy/tough to play against. Look at the record with him in the lineup. Correlation= Causation
Loss without Avery= team had no spark just look at the lack of energy. Look at the W-L with avery in the lineup
Win without avery= Not a word said.

Rule #2- Any situation can be resolved by referring back to rule #1.
Well that's a brilliant contribution there guy. Really, well done.

Seriously, I'm one of the biggest Avery supporters around here, and I always recognize and admit when he's not playing well/doing stupid things/etc. Why make these stupid generalizations? It does nothing but piss people off. Do you have anything original to add to this discussion about the game or not?

It's just pain.
Old
03-08-2010, 08:30 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Not sure what "this is out house" means...?

Old
03-08-2010, 08:32 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Gotcha, but its going to be extremely hard when they miss the playoffs to not say "i told you so".

It's the nature of the beast in here. I understand your pov though.

Old
03-08-2010, 08:42 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Not sure what "this is out house" means...?
On the Olympics board, someone posted a pro-Canada thread that was supposed to be titled, "This is OUR house!" A hilarious typo in the thread title derailed things.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=740214

Old
03-08-2010, 08:49 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
On the Olympics board, someone posted a pro-Canada thread that was supposed to be titled, "This is OUR house!" A hilarious typo in the thread title derailed things.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=740214
lol, now i get it. Makes sense.

Old
03-08-2010, 08:49 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipAyten View Post
Blasphemous!

That, in a nutshell, is his role. At times, he does it well, but I dont think hes done it anywhere near the frequency he should be. Like many players on the roster, I think Avery is still searching for his role on this team...and thats on the GM, as well as the coach

Old
03-08-2010, 08:56 AM
Riche16
Pessimistic-Realist

Quote:
Sorry to be so curt here, but the timing of these threads is pathetic.
Some of us have been talking about this for months. If you couldn't see it coming... well that may be pathetic.

There have been threads about what is really "good" for this team. Some suggested making the play-offs is better than missing by a large enough margin to draft a bit higher. I'm with those folks who think missing would be best and when it comes down to crunch time and this team is still just good enough to screw themselves out of a better draft position we as fans are allowed to ***** about it.

But no... you don't sell when you're in 9th place... you also don't do the team ANY good by finishing the season there either.

Old
03-08-2010, 09:02 AM
Shadowtron

Quote:
Sorry to be so curt here, but the timing of these threads is pathetic.

You think the timing of the Post-Game thread is pathetic?

Closed Thread