HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jonathan Matsumoto

Old
03-08-2010, 05:33 AM
HoverCarle*

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
nope, that's why it's crazy that the NHL is investigated us along with the others

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 08:57 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetheflyers8 View Post
I thought if he retired his cap hit doesn't carry, which is why the NHL wanted to investigate it. If it didn't then it wouldn't matter. The whole issue was that the NHL was worried that the Flyers extended the deal to lower the hit but discussed the possibility of him retiring before his contract was up, but had recieved much of the money of the contract.

edit: If one willfully retires I'm pretty sure that would end your contract and thus there shouldn't be any obligation to pay a person. I don't actually know this, but it just seems like this would make sense.
That's what I thought, I mean teams could get really screwed by dudes signing big deals then retiring and keeping the money for years to come.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 09:44 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
if he retires we dont have to pay him, but it still counts on our cap

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 11:06 AM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
if he retires we dont have to pay him, but it still counts on our cap
The last two years of the contract are for $500K.

If Pronger decides he doesn't want to play, the Flyers will trade his rights at the draft to, e.g. St. Louis [insert name of team struggling to meet cap minimum]. He can say he wants to play in his wife's hometown or whatever.

Then over the summer he'll miraculously decide to retire. St. Louis won't be on the hook for the money, but but they'll be able to claim the $4.9MM cap hit against their minimum.

Same thing can/should happen to Briere and maybe Timonen too.

Cap room is a commodity and front loaded contracts with low cash outputs in the last years will be very valuable to cash strapped teams....

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 11:26 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Either way, I doubt this will be an issue. Dude's a Hall of Famer. He isn't going to all of the sudden start sucking. He isn't always going to be a number one guy, but he will never be Randy Jones.

EDIT: or OKT.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 02:02 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
The last two years of the contract are for $500K.

If Pronger decides he doesn't want to play, the Flyers will trade his rights at the draft to, e.g. St. Louis [insert name of team struggling to meet cap minimum]. He can say he wants to play in his wife's hometown or whatever.

Then over the summer he'll miraculously decide to retire. St. Louis won't be on the hook for the money, but but they'll be able to claim the $4.9MM cap hit against their minimum.

Same thing can/should happen to Briere and maybe Timonen too.

Cap room is a commodity and front loaded contracts with low cash outputs in the last years will be very valuable to cash strapped teams....
Won't matter to them. Pronger's case is special because he's on a 35+ contract. Everyone else comes off the cap when they retire.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2010, 01:34 AM
goalby66

Send a message via ICQ to goalby66
Being a Phantoms season ticket holder, I've gotten a chance to watch a good share of games this year. While the team is putrid offensively, the one bright spot really is Matsumoto. He doesn't just score goals like Legin or set people up like Maroon. He does a lot of little things good, but nothing that will make him stand out in the eyes of NHL brass.

This is actually the last year of his deal. He'll be an RFA, but it makes me wonder if someone else would try to sign him.

goalby66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2010, 10:06 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Matsumoto reminds me an awful lot of Patrick Sharp. I remember people said the same thing about Sharp (doesn't have one standout skill, but does a lot of things well). I think for Matsumoto to find a spot within the organization, Gilbert should have moved him to the wing and not keep him at center. That was probably the only way he was going to break the Flyers line up.

With that being said, the way Matsumoto has been handled, management and coaching in Philadelphia and Adirondack has to be blamed. They're completely wasting an asset.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote