HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Buffalo 2, Rangers 1 (OT); This is out house.

Closed Thread

Old
03-08-2010, 09:07 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riche16 View Post
Some of us have been talking about this for months. If you couldn't see it coming... well that may be pathetic.

There have been threads about what is really "good" for this team. Some suggested making the play-offs is better than missing by a large enough margin to draft a bit higher. I'm with those folks who think missing would be best and when it comes down to crunch time and this team is still just good enough to screw themselves out of a better draft position we as fans are allowed to ***** about it.

But no... you don't sell when you're in 9th place... you also don't do the team ANY good by finishing the season there either.
Exactly.

Especially since apparently people become murderous if you dare to mention this concept in the GDT. In fact, several of the more disgruntled posters in yesterday's GDT specifically said "why don't you go post this in a different thread." So, pick your poison: when the team does EXACTLY what we feared it would do (i.e. just enough to stay in 9th or 10th place), we need the opportunity to vent somewhere - do you want separate threads or do you want us to use the GDT?

I realize that the "you never sell!" crowd would like the rest of us to not post at all (at least now that the trade deadline has passed), but that ain't going to happen.

Old
03-08-2010, 09:24 AM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

Gotta love how every scrub in the league has a ****ing field day when they play against us.

How the **** can you let Kaleta score a GWG in OT... I don't ****ing get it.

Old
03-08-2010, 09:32 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Torts (finally) broke them up last night, but the Matt Gilroy-Wade Redden defensive pairing has to be one of the worst in the league, especially when it comes to physical strength.

Gilroy, specifically, made a mockery of defense on Buffalo's first goal.

Old
03-08-2010, 10:04 AM
UnderPSI
Formerly YMMV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowtron View Post
You think the timing of the Post-Game thread is pathetic?
He was commenting before the 2 threads were merged together.

Old
03-08-2010, 10:04 AM
Rangerfans

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoFFeN View Post
Gotta love how every scrub in the league has a ****ing field day when they play against us.

Unfortunately nothing has changed: we have a very soft defense. Michael Del Zotto was the defender to blame. I know the kid is only 19 years old, I'm just stating he was out of position.

Both Drury and Callahan cannot leave Kaleta unmolested. If it were 2 of our defensemen who didn't touch Kaleta, I'd be furious and rant and rave how our defense is soft, weak, and has no heart. I cannot say that for both Cally and Dru: they put the effort in day in and day out. Maybe they were trying to be careful, but you cannot go for the safe/lazy poke check. You NEED to take the man out.

Old
03-08-2010, 10:13 AM
Rangerfans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Creepy is the perfect word for it.

I mean, I could understand people having troubling man-crushes on Ryan Callahan, Brandon Dubinsky, or even Sean Avery.

But Enver Lisin is such an inconsequential player. Hes nothing.
I remember going to the garden and getting a Valiquette jersey. Great guy, great work ethic, knew his role, etc. I got in because I liked the player, but I also got it in good jest, ya know? I mean, who ever gets the backup goaltender?

As much as I liked Vally, I admit he pooped the bed this year and that's that. How dumb would I sound and be like:

"Well, if Vally was in net, he would have saved that goal that Hank let in."

or
"Johnson is a better goalie than Lundqvist." (Disturbingly, I've seen a few Ranger fans talk about trading Hank due to Johnson)

See how idiotic that sounds? Yes, I know.

Now listen to this:

You take Lisin out of the lineup and we lose. You put Gaborik in, and we lose. We should play Enver Lisin and sit Marian Gaborik...

...we should play Enver Lisin and bench Marian Gaborik...

...Enver Lisin >> Marian Gaborik

...the guy who has played 54 games and notched 6 goals/8 assist (14 points) is going to play over the guy who has played a mere 6 games more -- 60 games and has notched 35 goals/34 assist (69 points).

Wow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipAyten View Post
I think he was being smart, I mean nobody could honestly believe that right?
No, he has this obsession for Enver Lisin. I liked Freddy Shoe (who I think is a better player than Lisin). He played hard, was fast, awesome of the PK, but couldn't finish unless he was in a shootout. So while I liked the guy, there was no sulking when he left the team. Lisin is fast...he's very fast and....that's about it. When he has the puck, the puck magically turns into a football bouncing in every direction. You would think the puck is a live grenade.

To actually compare him to Gaborik is...disgusting.

Last edited by Rangerfans: 03-08-2010 at 10:18 AM.
Old
03-08-2010, 10:24 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Rangers are 7 points from the #3 pick, and 3 from the 8th seed. What a crappy spot to be in.

Old
03-08-2010, 10:39 AM
Shadowtron

Quote:
Originally Posted by TortsNeedsMoreJam View Post
He was commenting before the 2 threads were merged together.
Hehehe...gotcha. Was wondering what the hell I was missing.

Old
03-08-2010, 11:04 AM
ChipAyten
NYR-LFC-NYG-NYY

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
Rangers are 7 points from the #3 pick, and 3 from the 8th seed. What a crappy spot to be in.
Goes to show you how bottom heavy the league is. A player or two separates the toilet scrubbers from the doormen, while the landlords seem to always be in the same position year in and out.

Old
03-08-2010, 12:30 PM
Garfinkel1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowtron View Post
You think the timing of the Post-Game thread is pathetic?
It's supposed to be RIGHT after the game. There was a few seconds delay. He's just pointing that out. what are you questioning!?

Old
03-08-2010, 12:50 PM
bscharf

wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick00 View Post
I now see no positive outcome to this season at all.

At least before when we were looking at 12-13th place I could feel hopeful about the upcoming draft.

But they're going to finish 9th or 10th and everyone knows it.
Knowing the Rangers, probably 9th, 1 point out of it.
No youth/picks gained at the deadline, no playoffs, and no shot at a top draft pick. They won't even pick in the top 10 this year.

Disgusting in every aspect.
They just played 4 of the best teams in the conference, went 1-1-2 and competed in every game. two of those without gaborik against top class teams. They are one win out of the playoffs and 5 points out of the 6th seed and we play philly three more times this season. Lets not go crazy, theres plenty of hockey to be played. And all ranger fans were calling for selling players. Meanwhile, dubinsky has been playing great and is looking at a 20 goal season (he was apparently on the block). On the back of hank they can make a run. keep some faith.

Old
03-08-2010, 12:54 PM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
That's all fine and well, but Avery used to contribute a lot more offensively before this season. He's almost completely lost that part of his game it seems. It was awful watching him tonight. It seemed like every time he had the puck he had no idea what to do with it or where his teammates were on the ice.
So did Drury, Redden, Rozsival, (and Higgins and Kotalik). You're blaming Sean Avery, a guy who isn't really supposed to be relied on for much offense, for his production being down? It's a luxury that when the TEAM is producing, Avery will contribute some points on top of doing his job as a pest and grinder. When the entire team is down in offensive production, significantly, what do you expect? It's not like we see an Avery - Prospal - Gaborik line out there where we should be wondering why Avery can't put up 50 points.

By the way, Avery has 25 points with 16 games remaining. He could easily finish with 30+ which isn't even worth complaining about for a grinder on this team... what do you want from him? He's 6th on the team behind Gabby, Prospal, Dubinsky, Cally and DZ. Ahead of 7M Drury and everyone else.

I mean nobody has lived up to expectations this year, really (you know who the exceptions are), but Avery on pace for 30 points is right around where I'd expect him to be if the team was putting up more points, maybe 5-8 points more from him? When we're getting on Avery's lack of production, and he's 6th on the team with 25 points and nearly 20% of the season remaining... I think we've run out of things to complain about.

Last edited by SERE 24: 03-08-2010 at 01:02 PM.
Old
03-08-2010, 01:03 PM
Shadowtron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfinkel1 View Post
It's supposed to be RIGHT after the game. There was a few seconds delay. He's just pointing that out. what are you questioning!?

Haha...didn't see the sarcasm smiley right away. Thought you'd gone off the deep end there. Goes to show you the importance of a properly place smiley

Old
03-08-2010, 01:09 PM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfinkel1 View Post

As was already pointed out, this didn't begin as a post-game thread, and when I posted that it had not yet been merged with the post-game thread.

Old
03-08-2010, 01:12 PM
bumrusherer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bscharf View Post
They just played 4 of the best teams in the conference, went 1-1-2 and competed in every game. two of those without gaborik against top class teams. They are one win out of the playoffs and 5 points out of the 6th seed and we play philly three more times this season. Lets not go crazy, theres plenty of hockey to be played. And all ranger fans were calling for selling players. Meanwhile, dubinsky has been playing great and is looking at a 20 goal season (he was apparently on the block). On the back of hank they can make a run. keep some faith.
I love the saying ''make a run''. But in this case, where are we running to?

Old
03-08-2010, 01:30 PM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumrusherer View Post
I love the saying ''make a run''. But in this case, where are we running to?
The bank to make a deposit for Dolan with the playoff revenue from a 1st (or miracle 2nd) round exit.

Old
03-08-2010, 02:53 PM
Garfinkel1

The 3rd line would produce night in and night out if it had someone to crash the net every time they enter the zone. AA/Avery seem to play the perimeter play very well. Avery is always trying to get that behind the net pass which goes through more times than not... Just nobody big enough/strong enough/in the right position to give it a wack at the net.

Old
03-08-2010, 02:56 PM
rangerjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa2k99 View Post
They don't deserve a damn thing. Not the playoffs, not a lottery pick. Just pure mediocrity. And I'm ashamed of myself that I got excited when they tied the game.
You should be ashamed of yourself for even saying you are ashamed...true Rangers fans are NEVER ashamed of their team.

Through thick and thin, remember that.

Old
03-08-2010, 03:09 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
Exactly what management deserves.

Old
03-08-2010, 03:52 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by bscharf View Post
As a famous Governor once said, "I think you're overestimating their chances."

It's reasonable that we can catch montreal. They are 3 points ahead, but we have a game in hand.

Philly, boston, atlanta, tampa and florida all have 2 games in hand on us. Both atlanta and tampa could jump past us, florida can close the gap and boston and philly can pull farther away.

Our position is much more precarious than you think.

Old
03-08-2010, 06:04 PM
Zil

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
Avery contributed alot more offensively when placed on a line that had good offensive players.

Avery is not a player that can generate offense. He's a player that greatly benefits/suffers from playing with certain players.

Avery will never be a 20 goal or a consistent 30 assist guy as mentioned. He played over his head when he first got here, played for his contract his 2nd year and has since come back to being typical Sean Avery without the snarl that defined his earlier years.

What made and makes Sean Avery an effective player is to play the game the same way that the Flyers allow Dan Carcillo to play. A player that plays on the edge and sometimes crosses it. Avery seems to be hesitant to play that way and I put alot of that on Torts. He (Torts) wants an in your face kind of team, yet he cuts the legs out from underneath the one player on this team that defines that style to a T.

I'll give credit to Sather for making this team a little tougher to play physically, but Torts needs to aloow players to do what they do best and if that means every so often you have to kill a penalty, so be it. It's part of the game.

It's funny, Prust was tied for the most fights when he was traded here and has been reigned in. He's also become less of a factor over the last few games as well.

Jody Shelly is also a non factor.

Here you have three players that their job, the sole reason for their presense in the NHL is to stir crap up and what do we get?

I really thought that Sather made the right choice in Torts, but I am getting the feeling more and more that this is just another mistake by a man that has made many more mistakes than correct choices over the last 10 years.

But I guess cause we're still in it.....whatever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
Blame Avery for his teammates not being where they are supposed to be?

Avery gets the puck in the corner? He looks to the front of the net. It's not his fault that no one is there.

Avery gets the puck behind the net, he's looking to the front of the net. Again, not his fault the only ones there are opposing defenceman

Every time he has an opportunity to take the puck to the net he does. Last night was no different and if his line-mates are not going to the areas where you typically score goals, that is not Avery's fault.

Now, that said, last night I actually felt bad for him cause he did look a little lost, but that had more to do with his linemates not willing to pay the price than it did with him not knowing what to do with the puck.

Avery was doing what he is supposed to do. Get the puck to the net. The fact that no one is there makes him look a little lost at times, but that has more to do with his teammates than it does with him.

Seems to me that the Rangers, as a team, have an aversion of going to the net like they are going to offend someone.

It's sad that we have one or 2 forwards that do that consistently. It should be a team concept, and not just an abberation.
I had no idea my two or three sentences on Avery were worth two angry, multi-paragraph posts. The fact is that he used to contribute more offense. I'm not talking about when he's behind the net with the puck. I'm talking about when he's in the neutral zone with the puck and passes it nowhere near his teammates or gives it away. He looks a little lost out there.
I'm not blaming him for the state of the team this year, but his performance hasn't helped things.

Old
03-08-2010, 06:13 PM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
I had no idea my two or three sentences on Avery were worth two angry, multi-paragraph posts. The fact is that he used to contribute more offense. I'm not talking about when he's behind the net with the puck. I'm talking about when he's in the neutral zone with the puck and passes it nowhere near his teammates or gives it away. He looks a little lost out there.
I'm not blaming him for the state of the team this year, but his performance hasn't helped things.
I'll say again:

So did Drury, Redden, Rozsival, (and Higgins and Kotalik on their teams). You're blaming Sean Avery, a guy who isn't really supposed to be relied on for much offense, for his production being down? It's a luxury that when the TEAM is producing, Avery will contribute some points on top of doing his job as a pest and grinder. When the entire team is down in offensive production, significantly, what do you expect? It's not like we see an Avery - Prospal - Gaborik line out there where we should be wondering why Avery can't put up 50 points.

By the way, Avery has 25 points with 16 games remaining. He could easily finish with 30+ which isn't even worth complaining about for a grinder on this team... what do you want from him? He's 6th on the team behind Gabby, Prospal, Dubinsky, Cally and DZ. Ahead of 7M Drury and everyone else.

I mean nobody has lived up to expectations this year, really (you know who the exceptions are), but Avery on pace for 30 points is right around where I'd expect him to be if the team was putting up more points, maybe 5-8 points more from him? When we're getting on Avery's lack of production, and he's 6th on the team with 25 points and nearly 20% of the season remaining... I think we've run out of things to complain about.

Look at the team as a whole before you complain about individual players. How can anyone be producing "as expected" on a team that's struggle to find offense as much as we have this year?

Old
03-08-2010, 06:48 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoFFeN View Post

I wouldn't look too hard into who the goalscorer was. I'd look harder into why he wasn't put on his ass after the first attempt.

The Rangers have the same problems as Buffalo. Outside of the goal, they're weak on defense and devoid of true, dangerous talent up front. Both GM's are trash, and we were lucky enough to bank points in the first half of the season courtesy of Miller playing lights-out

Old
03-08-2010, 06:52 PM
AXN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
Yep. People wonder why we can't score, but it has nothing to do with Tort's system and has everything to do with Sather's roster:

First Line Talent
Gaborik

Second Line Talent
Prospal
Dubinsky
Jokinen

Third Line Talent
Christensen
Callahan
Avery
Drury
Anisimov

Fourth Line Talent
Lisin
Boyle
Prust
Voros
Shelley

We're a little bottom heavy.
You can put Callahan on the second line. He has progressed enough to be considered second. It is sad to see Drury on the third. If you can't put him and Callahan on 4 on 4 in OT then it is really sad.

Old
03-08-2010, 06:55 PM
Crease

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXN View Post
You can put Callahan on the second line. He has progressed enough to be considered second. It is sad to see Drury on the third. If you can't put him and Callahan on 4 on 4 in OT then it is really sad.
He's on pace to score 40 points, which matches his career high. I don't question his potential to become a second line player, but right now, he's a third liner on a good team.

Closed Thread