HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

What gear will get you "chirped" at? (Besides a tinted visor)

Closed Thread

Old
03-01-2010, 01:19 AM
DogFoodEnforcer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueberrydanish View Post
In that situation they are just jealous, I would be too. Those are some badass jerseys and Im bein serious really love em.
yeah man. i love the jerseys too. which makes their attempts at pissing me off that much better.

"sorry we have team jerseys bro. i really wish we could ALL wear separate practice jerseys with taped on numbers and mismatching socks..." (jk)

Old
03-01-2010, 01:41 AM
canuck44

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
Huh, sounds like me at most pickups.
Most people who have played D growing up that I've encountered usually have pretty good vision and decision making. But this guy...

Old
03-01-2010, 12:25 PM
CanFan05

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberRoger View Post
this isn't really a 'gear' item, but oh christ, i've got an entire ball hockey LEAGUE you'd laugh at, or scorn at the very least:

-out of shape 40-somethings screaming obscenities at each other at the slightest perceived injustice

-team colluding to bring in ex-NCAA Div. 1/ex-ECHL player (and this ringer is an elitist ********* who plays the entire game; sandbags the refs prior to each puck drop to catch his breath).
essentially, a minor pro hockey player who couldn't cut it, taking his frustrations out on some local hacks... b.s.

-following season, same team colluding to bring in an ex-division 1 varsity practice goalie (other ringer's teammate from college)-- claimed he was a 'defenceman' then debuted with 2 consecutive shutouts.

fwiw, this sham cheater team wins the league championship EVERY year.

-commissioner who fellates any Canadians who sign up, yet treats existing U.S.-born players like crap.

-guys who wear 99 and 66 (guy who wears 66 is at least skilled; 99? not so much)

-team-obligated ref duties, 90% of whom have no idea how to interpret the rulebook; have zero idea what they're calling; too afraid to whistle the various big mouths for 10-min misconducts because they don't want to get yelled at.

again, this is all a local rec ball hockey league.

it used to be waaaaaaay better about 10 yrs ago before it began taking itself so seriously, before they alienated a large chunk of the league's charter members, when it was about chugging beers, next-goal wagering and spinning fatties.
My ballhockey league is more or less the same. (PTM in Laval) I love playing there though, except for the occasional as***** who crosschecks you in the back or slashes you on the ankle when the ref isnt watching.

Some refs can't control a hockey game there and they let fights start because they can't call cheap shots that happened right in front of them...

But they mostly so a good job...

Anyway, just my 2 cents

Old
03-01-2010, 12:28 PM
CanFan05

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoonking View Post
Just wondering, why do you carry all of that extra stuff? Are you a coach or do you just do all the work for the team? =p
LOL

I'm the team captain so I'm the organizer.

Old
03-06-2010, 03:37 PM
threeVo

My personal list:

Shoulder Pads in non contact mens league. We all played D1 or close, we dont need shoulder pads on robocop.
Full Outfit matching with Eagle gloves. Any gloves other than Eagle and you are safe.
Combo Face masks or Full Shields.
Tinted Visors...
Butt end tape that comes half way down the shaft. This isnt Field Hockey Clown Shoe
Skate Tongues hanging out. Easy out there Alexei Zhitnik
Jersey sleeves folded up over the elbows. Chris Drury is good, You are not.

Old
03-06-2010, 04:01 PM
OprtnShtdwn

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeVo View Post
My personal list:

Shoulder Pads in non contact mens league. We all played D1 or close, we dont need shoulder pads on robocop.
Full Outfit matching with Eagle gloves. Any gloves other than Eagle and you are safe.
Combo Face masks or Full Shields.
Tinted Visors...
Butt end tape that comes half way down the shaft. This isnt Field Hockey Clown Shoe
Skate Tongues hanging out. Easy out there Alexei Zhitnik
Jersey sleeves folded up over the elbows. Chris Drury is good, You are not.
If you chirped me for wearing shoulder pads, i'd find it pretty pathetic. Honestly. Shoulder pads? Usually in no contact leagues, you have morons who think they can pick the top corner everytime.

I'll wear all my equipment so the moron doesn't put a shot into my open chest.

Old
03-06-2010, 04:03 PM
OprtnShtdwn

One thing I chirp about is we'll occasionally play pickup ball hockey at the local deck. All the time, this team will show up and demand that we get off the deck and that they are this exclusive team, which is a joke.

This team, consist of the 5 dollar Mylec shin pads. Batting gloves being used for their gloves, and cheap $20 sticks from the local sporting goods store.

Honestly. Your not a exclusive team when you play hockey in a pair of Jordan Batting Gloves or NFL WR gloves

Old
03-06-2010, 04:13 PM
threeVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPR15 View Post
If you chirped me for wearing shoulder pads, i'd find it pretty pathetic. Honestly. Shoulder pads? Usually in no contact leagues, you have morons who think they can pick the top corner everytime.

I guess here its just common theme here since no one wears them. People I dont know chirp people for the same thing its pretty funny. 90% of players since we got out of college havent put them on for anything. I left mine back in NY when I moved down to florida. Havent put them on in 4 years

Old
03-06-2010, 04:52 PM
j12

^ I wear my shoulder pads despite playing non-contact only because I've broken one of my collar bones twice. Obviously, they can break with the pads on (I mean, it happened to me both times in games while wearing them) but I'd rather have them on than take a chance because breaking a collar bone sucks.

Honestly, the only thing I ever chirped was in response to the stupid things some guys say when they try to act tough. It's amazing how poorly people speak when they get in the heat of it. Might as well be Elmer Fudd or Porky Pig.

Old
03-06-2010, 05:04 PM
Superstar Treatment

Send a message via AIM to Superstar Treatment
Played against a guy last night who was wearing a full shield but not strapped down, just jammed up in J clips. I didn't know what was going on at first, it was so weird.

Old
03-06-2010, 06:20 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by j12 View Post
^ I wear my shoulder pads despite playing non-contact only because I've broken one of my collar bones twice. Obviously, they can break with the pads on (I mean, it happened to me both times in games while wearing them) but I'd rather have them on than take a chance because breaking a collar bone sucks.

Honestly, the only thing I ever chirped was in response to the stupid things some guys say when they try to act tough. It's amazing how poorly people speak when they get in the heat of it. Might as well be Elmer Fudd or Porky Pig.
You got that right lmao ... I've seen that a few times.

Old
03-06-2010, 08:08 PM
cmdrdredd

Quote:

I agree. If someone thinks being extra cautious because others are wreckless and try to play like it's NHL Playoff time is stupid, then screw em.

We all know a couple people who are a bit too into the game at low level and we have to watch for them when we're out there. I'd rather wear full gear and not need it than not have it and like you said, take a puck to the chest and regret not having extra gear on.

Old
03-06-2010, 08:20 PM
JVR21
G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
What's with the people who chirp guys with M11 helmets? One of my teammates has three concussions and switched over this year after #3.
The fact is, if the impact is bad enough, you're going to get a concussion no matter what helmet it is. A kid on my team hadn't ever gotten a concussion before, switched to the m11 for even further protection, and got a consussion no more than a couple months later.

Old
03-06-2010, 08:30 PM
thedonger

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
I agree. If someone thinks being extra cautious because others are wreckless and try to play like it's NHL Playoff time is stupid, then screw em.

We all know a couple people who are a bit too into the game at low level and we have to watch for them when we're out there. I'd rather wear full gear and not need it than not have it and like you said, take a puck to the chest and regret not having extra gear on.
yep. i can't tell you how many times i've been cross checked in the upper back in "no-check" league. i'm glad i decided to go with shoulders or else i would've been one sore mofo going back to work the next day.

Old
03-06-2010, 09:01 PM
ck26
7,709 miles & runnin

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryO View Post
So a lot of people think that the whole Canadian Junior team and the whole U.S. junior team look stupid for wearing 3-point shields?
No. All these rules about "chirping" apply to criticism of other players at your level.

If you see someone wearing the number 66 in your local house league, have at it. But if you live in suburban Pittsburgh and it occurs to you when he picks up the puck that it is, in fact, Mario, the chirping stops.

As soon as you're playing for a team called "Canada" or "United States" or "Sweden" then you can call those kids out. Until you do, if anyone's going to make fun of Nazim Kadri and Brayden Schenn for wearing those, let it be the latter's older brother, or somebody else who can play hockey at their level. None of these "chirping" rules apply to us chirping at World Juniors players.

Old
03-07-2010, 09:23 AM
LarryO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottonking View Post
No. All these rules about "chirping" apply to criticism of other players at your level.

If you see someone wearing the number 66 in your local house league, have at it. But if you live in suburban Pittsburgh and it occurs to you when he picks up the puck that it is, in fact, Mario, the chirping stops.

As soon as you're playing for a team called "Canada" or "United States" or "Sweden" then you can call those kids out. Until you do, if anyone's going to make fun of Nazim Kadri and Brayden Schenn for wearing those, let it be the latter's older brother, or somebody else who can play hockey at their level. None of these "chirping" rules apply to us chirping at World Juniors players.
Thanks for clearing that up. At least now I know that there are specific rules governing all this childish stupidity.

Old
03-07-2010, 10:01 AM
Heat McManus

Quote:
Honest question. I usually wear this when i play pickup. Would you guys "chirp" this: The stick is a RBK 7k Sickick (was Kris Beech's, so Pro-Stock)

I would never chirp you for going back to 1997 and becoming Radek Bonk. hehe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Expensive equipment, but you suck.

Your stick costs 500 dollars ? All of my gear doesn't cost over 300...
You scored a goal once ? I score regularly.
Sometimes with that stick you can raise your slapshot ? I fire laser beams consistently.
That's all relative. Every level has terrible players. Unless you're in the top tier of the NHL you're subject to chirping for being terrible.

Old
03-08-2010, 08:29 AM
vivianmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
I just thought of another one, it has been a while since I have seen it but the white turtleneck shirt under the jersey.
i dont chirp guys as i think it is lame.
that said , i think those mirrored,or tinted visors are stupid. but if you try to touch my goalie or intimidate anyone while i'm on the ice... i will expose you as either a punk, or a guy who doesnt know how to fight.this is hockey not a fashion show.

Old
03-08-2010, 10:39 AM
Danrik
It is what it is.

vCash: 275
Pretty much only if you're wearing a cage and chirping at me will I chirp you. Oh and I wear a 3 point visor.

Old
03-08-2010, 11:25 AM
stick9

How about the guy who's gear smells soo bad people next to him get up and leave the room...

Old
03-08-2010, 11:28 AM
Pog Form

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick9 View Post
How about the guy who's gear smells soo bad people next to him get up and leave the room...
Ugh, the guy I get a ride with to my league games has literally never washed his equipment and he doesn't shower after games. So gross. You can smell him out on the ice.

Old
03-08-2010, 11:54 AM
stick9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pog Form View Post
Ugh, the guy I get a ride with to my league games has literally never washed his equipment and he doesn't shower after games. So gross. You can smell him out on the ice.
ewww...

This was soo bad, I asked multiple times if someone puked in the trash can.

Old
03-08-2010, 12:35 PM
TBLightningFan

Send a message via AIM to TBLightningFan Send a message via MSN to TBLightningFan
There's a beer league team that wears PINK (Beach Bums) jerseys. They really don't get chirped at much, can't help your assigned color. However we do teasingly refer to it as the Baby Shower game when they play against LIGHT BLUE (Bud Light). I guess its comical for about 30 seconds. I think I have a picture, I may have to look for it.

Why the league selected Pink as a teams color option I'm not sure. I know color options run thin once you get to 10-12 teams... but damn.

Old
03-08-2010, 01:01 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivianmb View Post
i dont chirp guys as i think it is lame.
that said , i think those mirrored,or tinted visors are stupid. but if you try to touch my goalie or intimidate anyone while i'm on the ice... i will expose you as either a punk, or a guy who doesnt know how to fight.this is hockey not a fashion show.

It is my hatred for Gretzky when he played that I despise the turtleneck. When he started wearing those EVERYONE around here started to and I got very annoyed and ... sniff .... it left scars. I don't even think Gretzky wore them that long either.

Old
03-08-2010, 01:43 PM
SERE 24
LGR

This is so much simpler than making a list of all the gear that will get you "chiped at". Just follow these two rules:

1. If you're spending more money on the gear than your actual weekly time on ice justifies, it will probably get you chirped at (ie. wearing $600 skates when you skate once or twice a week maximum).

2. If you're wearing a piece of gear, be it a a $220 stick or colored laces, that makes you stand out but you're not a standout player, it will get you chirped at.

Essentially, if you're playing at a level - of pickup, bear league, etc - where everyone is wearing $200 mid-line skates, don't go buy the newest top of the line Bauers.

If you aren't going to be the guy who shows up and dominates from the time he steps on the ice until he leaves (which usually is annoying and gets you chirped at behind your back, but that's a different story) than don't show up with a tinted visor or custom runners on your skates.

Closed Thread