HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ryan Jones (Claimed by Edmonton)

Old
03-03-2010, 02:25 PM
Seth Lake

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preds Partisan View Post
I definitely want in on this one. I'll take the Way Over for a one year subscription to the Tennrag.
At least make the prize someone that actually sponsors and supports the Predators...the Tennessean has a sponsorship and a suite, but certainly seem to create the majority of the negative headlines that surround the team...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 02:30 PM
jlsg

On the Oilers team he'll get a few goals, but then let's also count turnovers and mis read plays. But then on the Oilers, who would notice.

jlsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 02:54 PM
deleted

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsg View Post
On the Oilers team he'll get a few goals, but then let's also count turnovers and mis read plays. But then on the Oilers, who would notice.
Where does this stuff come from? did you even look up any of the stats before posting this?

A quick look on nhl.com shows that Jones had the 3rd best Giveaway/Takeaway percentage only behind Goc and Ward. 8 giveaways 15 takeaways.

deleted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 03:01 PM
Preds Partisan
Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
At least make the prize someone that actually sponsors and supports the Predators...the Tennessean has a sponsorship and a suite, but certainly seem to create the majority of the negative headlines that surround the team...
No, the Tennrag subscription prize was correct. In my wager scenario even if you win, you lose.

Preds Partisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 03:08 PM
jlsg

Quote:
Originally Posted by slanted View Post
Where does this stuff come from? did you even look up any of the stats before posting this?

A quick look on nhl.com shows that Jones had the 3rd best Giveaway/Takeaway percentage only behind Goc and Ward. 8 giveaways 15 takeaways.
This stuff comes from watching him play from sec 105 since he's been here. Doesn't anyone actually watch the games or are we supposed to just look at stats and pick the winner.

Old
03-03-2010, 03:13 PM
deleted

Quote:
This stuff comes from watching him play from sec 105 since he's been here. Doesn't anyone actually watch the games?
Sorry, I don't take a pad of paper to the games to record stats. Nor do I stare at Jones the whole time he's out so I can make a proper assessment of his turnovers. I depend on solid statistics. But I'll gladly watch any highlight of any goal against this season that spurred from a Jones turnover. People on here make it sound like he was a turnover machine, which just isn't the case at all.

Old
03-03-2010, 03:29 PM
jlsg

Quote:
Originally Posted by slanted View Post
Sorry, I don't take a pad of paper to the games to record stats. Nor do I stare at Jones the whole time he's out so I can make a proper assessment of his turnovers. I depend on solid statistics. But I'll gladly watch any highlight of any goal against this season that spurred from a Jones turnover. People on here make it sound like he was a turnover machine, which just isn't the case at all.
No he wasn't a turnover machine. He was a sub average forward that didn't have anything of value for this team. This team needed someone that could be a solid PK or score 20-30 goals. He wasn't it. If you want to play stats, then get your spreadsheet out and calculate turnovers per minute of ice time. Then watch the replays of some games and see the missed plays. There isn't a stat for that one last I looked.

Old
03-03-2010, 03:45 PM
deleted

Quote:
No he wasn't a turnover machine. He was a sub average forward that didn't have anything of value for this team. This team needed someone that could be a solid PK or score 20-30 goals. He wasn't it. If you want to play stats, then get your spreadsheet out and calculate turnovers per minute of ice time. Then watch the replays of some games and see the missed plays. There isn't a stat for that one last I looked.
Go right ahead and look up the turnovers per minute, I'm not the one trying to prove he turned the puck over. I'm the one that proved he didn't.

Old
03-03-2010, 04:31 PM
jstreet
Smashville

vCash: 8001
no doubt he will probably score more for the Oil this season than he would have with the Preds., but when all is said and done what will it really matter?

We couldnt use him and there is really no one else taking his ice time that should go.

We cant just boot our vets down the lines to give the young guys chances to shine, we have a playoff race to focus on here.

What if it takes an extra million to keep Weber here? There are a million reasons why this can be a very positive thing for both teams.

I wish him luck

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 05:54 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joetimo View Post
No, what I am saying is the first team on the Waiver list picked him up. Not pitts, not anaheim, the very first GD team. That is a sign of a bad salesman. It is probably better for Jones and us if we parted ways, but to part ways for nothing is down right moronic.
and what do you think we could have had for him? a 5th round pick?

as others have said, maybe Poile tried to trade him and no one bit...

maybe poile thought he'd gamble possibly not getting a late round pick against the chance that he could be kept if he cleared.

neither of those scenarios is "moronic"

edmonton picked him becuase no contender is going to clear a roster spot for jones. only a crappy, rebuilding team has a spot on an NHL roster for him right now, which is what waivers requires.

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 06:35 PM
jlsg

I think it was a wink and a nod addition to Grebs.

Old
03-03-2010, 06:54 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
I think it was a wink and a nod addition to Grebs.
I agree, but it brings up the question... why? Why waive him instead of just trading him?

The only 2 reasons I can come up with are...

-Maybe Edmonton didn't have room on the roster yesterday.

-After you claim a player off of waivers, you can't trade him immediately (I think). So maybe Poile didn't want him to be flipped again by Edmonton, for Jones' sake.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 11:37 PM
jstreet
Smashville

Hawks beat the Oil 5-2 tonight

Jones was even +/-
13:34 time on ice
1 shot on goal
1 penalty for roughing in the 3rd.

Old
03-04-2010, 12:02 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
We'll have to agree to disagree on what he can bring.

Want to take the over or under on him scoring 4 more this season?
will be irrelevant because it will be with edmonton. if he gets a lot of time on a top line and pp time, he probably will get 3 or 4... but that doesnt mean he was misused in nashville

Old
03-04-2010, 12:07 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
will be irrelevant because it will be with edmonton. if he gets a lot of time on a top line and pp time, he probably will get 3 or 4... but that doesnt mean he was misused in nashville
He was on pace to score 2-3 more if he played 15 more games as a Pred. We waived our #9 scoring forward last season and so far this. 10-11 mins a game for 20 games, he should put in 4 based on his performance here ... where apparently he sucked in spite of his numbers.

101st_fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 12:18 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
He was on pace to score 2-3 more if he played 15 more games as a Pred. We waived our #9 scoring forward last season and so far this. 10-11 mins a game for 20 games, he should put in 4 based on his performance here ... where apparently he sucked in spite of his numbers.
well, "sucked" is a relative term...

even though he scored enough goals not to be a true "bust" like Pihlstrom, he has nonetheless been passed by Hornqvist and Wilson, and not just by a little bit...

thus the only possible spot for him is on our 4th line... and we have all said there is no way he will thrive on a line like that, especially since he cant play on the PK.

so we let him go, and replaced him with a cheaper player who can play the PK.

I just dont see the problem...

Old
03-04-2010, 12:27 AM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
In spite of? What do you mean? The numbers actually do support that he sucks.

Every forward except Belak and Smithson have better "numbers" than him.

But one doesn't need stats to know this. Watching him play, it is clear he doesn't fit in with this team.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 01:08 AM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predanerd View Post
In spite of? What do you mean? The numbers actually do support that he sucks.

Every forward except Belak and Smithson have better "numbers" than him.

But one doesn't need stats to know this. Watching him play, it is clear he doesn't fit in with this team.
I think Smithson has more goals than Jones...lol. Just saying.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 07:21 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

I can't believe people are making a big deal about Ryan freaking Jones. He's shown nothing more than glimmers for two seasons, and was making almost a million bucks to sit on the bench. At this point, with the addition of Boyd, who do you sit in favor of Jones?

I guess it's not all that surprising, I remember some people freaked out when Arkhipov left, too...at least he had ONE productive season.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 10:05 AM
cjerina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predanerd View Post
-After you claim a player off of waivers, you can't trade him immediately (I think). So maybe Poile didn't want him to be flipped again by Edmonton, for Jones' sake.
That doesn't make sense, as if Edmonton didn't want him, they just wouldn't have claimed him.

cjerina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 10:25 AM
Hockey FAN8888

He teared his MCL in his second game and is likely out the remainder of the season.

Hockey FAN8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 11:55 AM
quoth the Raven
Anders Lindback Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey FAN8888 View Post
He teared his MCL in his second game and is likely out the remainder of the season.
Wow... just wow.

quoth the Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 12:46 PM
cjerina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey FAN8888 View Post
Meanwhile, Boogaard skates away from the cheapshot with only a 2 game suspension.

cjerina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 01:23 PM
jstreet
Smashville

talk about kicking a man while he is down.. yikes

Old
03-08-2010, 01:48 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjerina View Post
Meanwhile, Boogaard skates away from the cheapshot with only a 2 game suspension.
Equivalent to what, two healthy scratches or 3 minutes of ice time total? That's the biggest joke of all...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote