HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Grebeshkov Out "Several Weeks" (Lower Body) / Sulzer recalled / New Lines

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-08-2010, 12:35 PM
  #1
Seth Lake
Registered User
 
Seth Lake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 8,855
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Grebeshkov Out "Several Weeks" (Lower Body) / Sulzer recalled / New Lines

Quote:
The Preds have lost defenseman Denis Grebeshkov for one to two weeks with a lower-body injury. He apparently suffered the injury fairly early in Sunday’s loss to Vancouver, but played through it for a while. Nashville has recalled Alexander Sulzer.
http://blogs.tennessean.com/predator...out-1-2-weeks/

As if the mood wasn't already depressing enough...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 12:38 PM
  #2
jlsg
Registered User
 
jlsg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 473
vCash: 500
Hopefully Weber back sooner then later. I don't like the thought of a west coast swing with Sulzer and Franson as the 3rd pairing.
On the other hand I sorta liked the line combos laid out in the article:

Wilson-Arnott-Erat
Sullivan-Goc-Hornqvist
Smithson-Legwand-Ward
Dumont-Boyd-O’Reilly-Tootoo (the four pla yers on this line rotated).

jlsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 12:39 PM
  #3
Soundgarden
Registered User
 
Soundgarden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Spring Hill, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 6,200
vCash: 562
Damn, how unlucky.

Soundgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 12:40 PM
  #4
RollingPredFan
Registered User
 
RollingPredFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 632
vCash: 500
Oh geez. Here comes the annual key injuries at the end of the season again. Well good thing we didn't trade Hamhuis away lol

RollingPredFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 12:41 PM
  #5
PredsChik
Registered User
 
PredsChik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Smyrna, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 693
vCash: 500
oh. my. gosh.

Dear Preds, I want to waste money on you this April and May and possibly June. Please get healthy and don't suck. kthxbai

PredsChik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 12:47 PM
  #6
Seth Lake
Registered User
 
Seth Lake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 8,855
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Glennon says the injury was sustained early in yesterday's game, but I have to think that if it wasn't the cause of it, the collision with Dumont certainly didn't help things out...

Did Grebeshkov play after that?

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 12:52 PM
  #7
Fortheloveofthegame
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 1,189
vCash: 500
This is REALLY too bad for the Preds. I really liked what he brought to the team....hopefully he is not longer than predicted!
Like the new line combos. Needed a shake up to try and get certain guys going.

Fortheloveofthegame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 01:03 PM
  #8
OpenWheel
Registered User
 
OpenWheel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Keweenaw Peninsula
Country: United States
Posts: 1,967
vCash: 500
I don't like those combos enough. Smithson is the weak link on the Legwand line. We can't play to a draw anymore with that line, we need to take more chances. That's the line that is hiding two guys who can put up points, and being satisfied if they are even or only minus one since they play the "top line" of the other team. Which only happens part of the time anyway due to the changes. But now the two line looks no stronger, the Boyd Tootoo line looks no stronger, the Legwand line is the same.

This new lineup isn't going to score enough goals. The old lineup with SAD getting chances was not so bad. We could have won the last game and been 3-1 out of the break. Moving Wilson up to the Legwand line and asking them to score more would have been a useful change.

Hopefully Trotz is going to be right, and I'm wrong, but my own view doesn't see enough goal scoring out of those lines. That Arnott line is going to have to put up big numbers for this to work. And it does look promising.

OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 01:08 PM
  #9
Seth Lake
Registered User
 
Seth Lake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 8,855
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsg View Post
On the other hand I sorta liked the line combos laid out in the article:

Wilson-Arnott-Erat
Sullivan-Goc-Hornqvist
Smithson-Legwand-Ward
Dumont-Boyd-O’Reilly-Tootoo (the four pla yers on this line rotated).
Yeah, these are interesting lines. Balanced again, but with a net presence now on each line and the ability to actually retrieve the puck when it dumped in. Gotta hope the gel quickly and that no one sulks, but otherwise...I like Trotz showing that no one is safe and that consistency is the key to success down the stretch.

For those of you that want to harp on Legwand's 23 goal drought...that line is offensively challenged with Smithson on the wing and simply doesn't allow goals against while shutting down the opponent's top line on a nightly basis...it's essentially good for a goal a game swing in our favor even without scoring. Anything they do offensively is a bonus...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 01:08 PM
  #10
Preds Partisan
Nothing
 
Preds Partisan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 692
vCash: 500
What the %$#@&!?!? Were the Preds on the cover of Sports Illustrated?

Preds Partisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 01:14 PM
  #11
OpenWheel
Registered User
 
OpenWheel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Keweenaw Peninsula
Country: United States
Posts: 1,967
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
For those of you that want to harp on Legwand's 23 goal drought...that line is offensively challenged with Smithson on the wing and simply doesn't allow goals against while shutting down the opponent's top line on a nightly basis...it's essentially good for a goal a game swing in our favor even without scoring. Anything they do offensively is a bonus...
I don't know. I went line by line through the play by play for several games before the break, and the amount of minutes they were not up against the top lines was eye opening. Yes, they shut down good lines... But then do nothing to score even when matched up against weaker lines. If they would pop in some goals when they get favorable matchups it would really help. Smithson hurts them on the offense. I'd even be happy if they tried Boyd there. Supposedly he is responsible defensively but with some offense as well.

OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 02:22 PM
  #12
Jarnberg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 5,479
vCash: 500
Poile really should have traded Hamhuis...

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 02:25 PM
  #13
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Country: Argentina
Posts: 23,129
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
Poile really should have traded Hamhuis...
IF he plays well the rest of the way, we may have no choice but to sign him ... Grebeshkov sure as **** isn't staying (great deal Poile, BTW) ... UGH ... Belak practiced with the D today

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 02:41 PM
  #14
jlsg
Registered User
 
jlsg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 473
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conando View Post
IF he plays well the rest of the way, we may have no choice but to sign him ... Grebeshkov sure as **** isn't staying (great deal Poile, BTW) ... UGH ... Belak practiced with the D today
Not sure I follow. He's hurt, out a week or two, why wouldn't Grebs be staying?

jlsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 04:27 PM
  #15
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?
 
worstfaceoffmanever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Winston-Salem, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 12,398
vCash: 500
Well... crap.

I would look for:

Hamhuis-Suter
Klein-Bouillon
Sulzer-Franson

Patchwork, definitely, but capable. Barring anymore injuries (and the reuniting of the Klein-Hamhuis duo), I'm oddly optimistic about our ability to get through this.

I see this as a golden opportunity for Klein and Hamhuis to really redeem themselves for their poor play together for much of the season. If they can play well during this stretch while separated, it may also encourage Trotz to keep them separated when Grebeshkov and Weber return. After watching them yesterday, I'd like to see Klein and Bouillon stay together for the rest of the season.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 04:43 PM
  #16
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?
 
worstfaceoffmanever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Winston-Salem, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 12,398
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsg View Post
Hopefully Weber back sooner then later. I don't like the thought of a west coast swing with Sulzer and Franson as the 3rd pairing.
On the other hand I sorta liked the line combos laid out in the article:

Wilson-Arnott-Erat
Sullivan-Goc-Hornqvist
Smithson-Legwand-Ward
Dumont-Boyd-O’Reilly-Tootoo (the four players on this line rotated).
Some interesting combos. Dumont-O'Reilly-Tootoo could be a great line to roll against an Atlanta team that's generally pretty porous defensively. I'd still like to see Wilson with Legwand and Ward, though. I think he really could provide the spark that gets that line producing offensively.

I'm not really sure this whole jumbling was necessary, though. The forward lines looked fine to me yesterday, though Vancouver did a great job of containing the SAD unit.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 06:12 PM
  #17
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD
 
Paranoid Android's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: CO
Posts: 11,473
vCash: 500
I didn't get to watch the Vancouver game... did Dumont play that badly? I thought the SAD line looked pretty good the first couple games back from the break.

I agree with worst, I think Trotz is jumping the gun here. But I guess we need to shake something up after 2 bad losses.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 06:27 PM
  #18
Enoch
This is my boomstick
 
Enoch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Chattanooga TN
Country: United States
Posts: 12,465
vCash: 500
I am sorry, but placing Smithson on any line other than the fourth is just silly. I haven't got this move all season long. We should have never resigned Legwand if he is going to be nothing more than a third line center. We should have let him walk and just signed a player like Goc in the off-season. As it stands, we are wasting 5 million dollars on a guy not being adequately used.

__________________
- Enoch -
Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 06:28 PM
  #19
dulzhok
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 3,528
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
Poile really should have traded Hamhuis...
I'll stick with it. Only thing it's helping right now is giving us a later draft pick. It's not like we're going to go a on a big winning streak without Weber & Grebs... even with Hamhuis. Playoffs are unlikely unless Weber comes back soon, Rinne starts to play really well, and we find some offense. Getting out of the first round with this team? I won't go there yet.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 06:29 PM
  #20
quoth the Raven
Anders Lindback Fan
 
quoth the Raven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Smashville
Country: United States
Posts: 775
vCash: 500
Well crap. I didn't even know Grebs got hurt yesterday. What somber note to be on heading into the stretch... I have faith that these lines could work and we may get Weber back by Thursday or Friday. Grebs will hopefully be back sooner rather than later. It sucks that yet another player is out, but this isn't the worst. We still have some good guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conando View Post
IF he plays well the rest of the way, we may have no choice but to sign him ... Grebeshkov sure as **** isn't staying (great deal Poile, BTW) ... UGH ... Belak practiced with the D today
How do you know he's not staying?

quoth the Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 06:29 PM
  #21
Fortheloveofthegame
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 1,189
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
Some interesting combos. Dumont-O'Reilly-Tootoo could be a great line to roll against an Atlanta team that's generally pretty porous defensively. I'd still like to see Wilson with Legwand and Ward, though. I think he really could provide the spark that gets that line producing offensively.

I'm not really sure this whole jumbling was necessary, though. The forward lines looked fine to me yesterday, though Vancouver did a great job of containing the SAD unit.
Was that not who Wilson played with before the Olympic break? I am pretty sure because Smithson was hurt, he was. I recall Wilson setting up Legwand with a great pass, and Legwand just missing the open net.

Fortheloveofthegame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 06:44 PM
  #22
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?
 
worstfaceoffmanever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Winston-Salem, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 12,398
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwhiteandblue View Post
Was that not who Wilson played with before the Olympic break? I am pretty sure because Smithson was hurt, he was. I recall Wilson setting up Legwand with a great pass, and Legwand just missing the open net.
Yes, he did, and it worked well. I don't know why Trotz didn't stick with it, but then again, Trotz has done a lot of things that don't really seem to work and been incredibly stubborn about them.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 06:44 PM
  #23
glenngineer
Registered User
 
glenngineer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Spring Hill, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 3,883
vCash: 500
Interesting line combos. If I were the "neck", I'd go with this:

Arnott-Legwand-Erat
Wilson-Sully-Hornqvist
Goc-Ward-Dumont
Boyd-Smithson-Tootoo.

What do I know though.

As far as Grebs goes, I remember him going down to block a shot and taking one pretty hard to either the leg or foot. It was either the first or third period that it happened but glad to see he tried to play thru it but it hurt him for sure.

Glad Poile made the moves he did because depth is an issue this time of year and hopefully we have enough of it to sustain our roster and win some games.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 07:30 PM
  #24
jlsg
Registered User
 
jlsg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 473
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
Interesting line combos. If I were the "neck", I'd go with this:

Arnott-Legwand-Erat
Wilson-Sully-Hornqvist
Goc-Ward-Dumont
Boyd-Smithson-Tootoo.

What do I know though.

As far as Grebs goes, I remember him going down to block a shot and taking one pretty hard to either the leg or foot. It was either the first or third period that it happened but glad to see he tried to play thru it but it hurt him for sure.

Glad Poile made the moves he did because depth is an issue this time of year and hopefully we have enough of it to sustain our roster and win some games.

I see what your trying to do with the lines, but who do you match up with the other top line? Every line has a defensive liability. One line has to be capable of shutting down lines like the Sedins etc. I don't think any of these lines could do that.

Agree about Grebs. Nice to see a little heart there. May be more to him then we thought.

jlsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 07:40 PM
  #25
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD
 
Paranoid Android's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: CO
Posts: 11,473
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
I am sorry, but placing Smithson on any line other than the fourth is just silly. I haven't got this move all season long. We should have never resigned Legwand if he is going to be nothing more than a third line center. We should have let him walk and just signed a player like Goc in the off-season. As it stands, we are wasting 5 million dollars on a guy not being adequately used.
Depends on your definition on what a 3rd line is. Legwand consistently gets more time on ice than Goc in all situations. I do agree that the Smithson experiment has run its course.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:57 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.