HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

4th line. Love it? Hate it?

Old
03-08-2010, 01:46 PM
Garfinkel1

vCash: 500
4th line. Love it? Hate it?

So Sather went out and got us Prust/Shelly at the deadline and Boyle in the offseason.

Since the Olympics it seems our 4th line has been on a tear. Sure, they are not putting up points but they are playing a very physical game that takes place in the offensive zone 70% of the time. They wear down the opponents lines and are going to be an impact in the playoffs this year (assuming we make them). They are constantly keeping the puck in on the forcheck and 100% bring the crowd into it nearly every time they step on the ice.

All year I have been pissed the direction our team took with our 4th line as Torts never really plays the 4th line (Until recently) but it seems I have been proven wrong.

I was advocating keeping together one of the top PK groups in the league. (Betts/Sjo) and another utility player such as Orr (Although I wasn't too concerned over the 3rd roster spot for this line.

My question is this...
Is Torts doing the right thing and playing this line as much as he is.(~6min/gm... 2more min than usually) and... do you think prefer it over the Betts/Sjo combo we had last year.

Garfinkel1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 02:02 PM
Claxton

Hate every line on this team. Disgusting on paper, disgusting on the ice.

Claxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 02:09 PM
Cmox

I liked how they played last night. Getting chances and what not...

Cmox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 02:14 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
i like the line, and considering the way the other lines are playing why not give this line more ice time? They may not create the best scoring chances, but at least they spend more time in the offensive zone. All 3 of them are really strong on the puck.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 02:53 PM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
I've always liked teams that roll 4 lines, though it takes teams with some depth to do that. Prust, especially, has impressed me. If Boyle could net a quarter of the chances he gets (and often makes for himself), he wouldn't be a 4th liner.

007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 03:47 PM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claxton View Post
Hate every line on this team. Disgusting on paper, disgusting on the ice.
that's correct

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 03:52 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

People screamed bloody murder when Renney rolled 4 lines, and I never understand why because it usually worked in keeping games close with an inadequate roster.

Considering this team stinks, I'd like to see the 4th line get some run...primarily because Tortorella has been killing our top players with heavy workloads for far too long now.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 04:04 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Hate it. Shelley has to be of the worst players in the NHL. Prust is Ortmeyer minus the ability to kill penalties, and Boyle is from Boston College.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 04:16 PM
1Knee1T
OHH MAMMA DONT U CRY

explain what being from BC has to do with anything?
Posted via Mobile Device

1Knee1T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 04:26 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
Hate it. Shelley has to be of the worst players in the NHL. Prust is Ortmeyer minus the ability to kill penalties, and Boyle is from Boston College.
Give Prust some more credit please. Boyle has done a good job. As for the other spot(insert goon here). The line serves its purpose well

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 04:44 PM
Fletch

the 4th line has been doing their job. They go out there, cycle a bit, get some scoring opportunities and even play physical here and there. Cannot ask for much more. Having said that, I'd rather see a fourth line with Sjo-Betts-Orr. Why? First, Sjo and Betts can kill penalties. Sure the PK hasn't been a huge issue this year, although it has dropped year over year, but when they're killing penalties there are other players who can focus on other aspects of the game as well as other players who get to rest here and there which over the course of the season can be a good thing. So with Sjo-Betts-Orr you get about the same you're getting more at even strength with the PK/rest kicker.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 04:47 PM
darko

I dont mind it.

I like what Prust brings to the table. Was never a fan of Boyle. Also as much as I hate to say it but Shelley (or any goon) is neccesary. You always need someone to beat up Matt Cooke.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 04:57 PM
XLJ

I like Prust I hope the rangers resign him in the offseason. Boyle has done a nice job on the pk. He has started hitting a little more you hope he starts using his size a little more to his advantage and he needs to get better at faceoffs. Shelley is a fighter I much rather would of kept Orr but Shelly is better than huggy bear so he serves his purpose.

They only play 5-7 minutes a night you cant really expect any scoring from them. All you want from them to do is to be an energy line and play physical which they did against the Sabres.

XLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 05:04 PM
arab27

Ok now that someone gave a backdoor compliment to Sather I need to take it back.

He gave up a 3rd round pick for Boyle who is a 4th line center.

Gave up a 6th round pick for Shelly could be a 5th if we resign him.

Prust a throw in a trade

Not to mention he signed Brashear to a 2 year deal, Voros has another year on his contract.

So in total he gave up 2 draft picks for 4th line players that play 6 min a game. Sather has spent countless sleepless nights trying to build a 4th line for a team that has no top line. A 5 year old can build a 4th line also if given 30 tries. Maybe if he promoted within from younger guys to play 4th line maybe the Rangers can trade some 4th line players for 3rd round picks.

arab27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 07:02 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TullyNYR View Post
explain what being from BC has to do with anything?
Posted via Mobile Device
It has to do with the fact that I hate it. And the question was do you love or hate the 4th line.

I dunno how much credit Prust deserves. Sjostrom was far more useful.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 07:07 PM
Crease

I actually like Betts/Sjo more. I guess they're just more likable players to me.

My favorite fourth line since the lockout was Betts - Ortmeyer - Hollweg. That was before Hollweg became a hit-from-behind lunatic on the ice.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 07:12 PM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

The Rangers 4th line this year is stupid. 4th liners are supposed to be young kids who don't have top end talent that will hit anything, keep pressure in the O zone, and don't make any money. That's what made Betts/Orts/Moore/Ward/etc at any given point so good.

So you have Voros and Brashear who combined could have brought Alex Tangauy or Seidenberg here, then you have Shelley who is OK but wasn't worth the pick. Boyle is OK but has limited upside.

Torts promised more scoring from the 4th line but it's on pace to be much worse than last year and probably the worst offensive 4th line since the lockout.

You mean to tell me some combo of Dane Byers/Dale Weisse/Pa Paranteau/Brodie DuPont and the now traded Jordan Owens or even Tom Pyatt can't play 5 minutes a night at the NHL level? Gimme a break!

White Plains Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 07:12 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Commenting on the fourth line of this team is like commenting on the radio in a car with no doors, no tires and no engine — at that point, does it really matter?

For years people wanted to be tougher. This line is that. With the flaws this team has, they don't really make a difference.

03-08-2010, 07:23 PM
x BEUKEBOOM x
Buuuuuuuuuuuk !

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Plains Batman View Post
The Rangers 4th line this year is stupid. 4th liners are supposed to be young kids who don't have top end talent that will hit anything, keep pressure in the O zone, and don't make any money. That's what made Betts/Orts/Moore/Ward/etc at any given point so good.

So you have Voros and Brashear who combined could have brought Alex Tangauy or Seidenberg here, then you have Shelley who is OK but wasn't worth the pick. Boyle is OK but has limited upside.

Torts promised more scoring from the 4th line but it's on pace to be much worse than last year and probably the worst offensive 4th line since the lockout.

You mean to tell me some combo of Dane Byers/Dale Weisse/Pa Paranteau/Brodie DuPont and the now traded Jordan Owens or even Tom Pyatt can't play 5 minutes a night at the NHL level? Gimme a break!

While I have nothing against the presant 4th line, although I do like Prust. This ^ is a very valid point.

x BEUKEBOOM x is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 07:34 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

I like Betts/Sjostrom/Orr more. As per this years fourth line I'm indifferent- as longs as Brashear isn't on it I really don't care either way.

New York RKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 07:35 PM
OverTheCap

Quote:

Betts and Ortmeyer weren't exactly "kids" when they were playing on the 4th line here. They were around 26-28 years old. Boyle and Prust are both 25 right now.

OverTheCap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 07:42 PM
Crease

Quote:
The Rangers 4th line this year is stupid. 4th liners are supposed to be young kids who don't have top end talent that will hit anything, keep pressure in the O zone, and don't make any money.
This I totally agree with.

You want to be a chef? Great. Do the dishes for a few months, get your hands dirty and do the grunt work, and do it for minimum wage. Be the first one to come in in the morning and the last to leave at night. Show me you really want it. Once you do that, we'll let you prep for the cooks once a week. If you can do that without cutting your finger off, eventually we'll put you on the line.

You want to be an NHL player? You think you have top 9 talent? Play 5 minutes a night with the highest intensity imaginable. Hit as hard as you can, bury the puck deep in their zone for 45 seconds at a time. Be the other teams worst nightmare every time you're on the ice, not on the score sheet, but as a physical tormentor. You do that, and you'll get your shot on the third line, with more minutes and more responsibility.

I want guys in Hartford to know that once they get their cup of tea/jager/coffee on the 4th line of the Rangers, they know this is their chance to break it in the NHL. They know exactly what is expected of them: hit, punch, torment. If they do that, there's a career for them in the NHL.

Last edited by Crease: 03-08-2010 at 07:49 PM.
Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 07:52 PM
Swagelin
aka Bienvenue a ny

I personally like our 4th line. They're real gritty players who can score occasionally and fight. Its a much greater improvement over the line of voros-boyle-brash we were rolling at the beginning of the season.
Posted via Mobile Device

Swagelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 08:44 PM
Kind of Blue

We had a fourth line that didn't need to be touched. But Torts is an a-hole.

This one is fine I guess. Better than other combos we've had this season.

Kind of Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 09:09 PM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
Have you watched this line or is your hate for aggressive hockey just taken over? The guys have been fantastic in the last 3 games and look great together

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote