HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What was the Blockbuster deal Lawton spoke of?

Closed Thread

Old
03-07-2010, 02:16 PM
kinggelato

vCash: 500
What was the Blockbuster deal Lawton spoke of?

Anyone know of any rumours of who was involved in the blockbuser deal that Lawton spoke of? Personally I think its counterproductive and dumb for him to say anything if it involved trading one of our guys.

Old
03-07-2010, 02:43 PM
X0X0A0
Sons of Pirates

vCash: 423
My guess is it's BS. Lawton talked a big game about how they needed to be buyers and how 9th place isn't good enough. He wasn't able to get anything done so he needed an excuse. Now if he is called on it he can say "Well we had something working but the prices were too high".

Brian Burke is a master at it. It's never that Burke is offering too little its always the other GMs expecting too much.

Old
03-07-2010, 03:14 PM
TheDaysOf 04
Rated [SFY]

I don't think it was a "blockbuster," but there was probably a deal for a top 6 forward for a pick and top prospect from us.

Old
03-07-2010, 03:29 PM
Bolt32

Lawton did the smart thing, after putting his foot in his mouth he went out and brought in a young guy who has the potential to be a top 6.(Which so far he has and hasn't disappoint.) and aquired a pick for a forward that just went into a slump here in tampa and couldn't get his way out.~ Smart

He still needed to address as to why we werent "Buyers" and thats what he did, though he should have never had said that to begin with.

Old
03-07-2010, 03:43 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

I don't get how Lawton can be criticized for not making a deal. We have no idea what was being offered. It's great though he's making it clear 9th place isn't good enough.

He may have shown his cards a bit early by implying that they'd be buyers. Managers might have seen that, looked at the team's position in the standings, and try to dump crap on him. Hoping he was going to make panic moves. A team, even only slightly better, would be interpreted as looking for one or two more pieces before the season's out.

That's more what I think he was aiming at this deadline.

Old
03-07-2010, 05:19 PM
CommunistDayKare
I'M SORRY RUM HAM

I was happy with the Halpern deal. It was a low risk, mid reward deal IMO.

Old
03-07-2010, 06:02 PM
sonny side up

From what I heard.. it would have been NINE of our players for like 6 other players.. Lawton didn't want to do too much with us being 9th

Old
03-08-2010, 09:36 AM
Jon Jordan

Hearing there really wasn't much of anything - that, after some big talk in the days prior to the deadline, this was some crafty spinwork from the GM.

"Hey, I tried." That sort of thing.

That said, I like Teddy Purcell and think Tampa may have nabbed him at the perfect itme in his development. Sometimes, these offensively-talented "tweeners" hit walls with their original clubs and, if they don't get that change-of-scenery at the right time, they're forever thwarted. (See Jeff Tambellini on Long Island for a good example.)

So far, so good with Teddy.

JJ

Old
03-08-2010, 12:31 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Jordan View Post
Hearing there really wasn't much of anything - that, after some big talk in the days prior to the deadline, this was some crafty spinwork from the GM.

That said, I like Teddy Purcell and think Tampa may have nabbed him at the perfect itme in his development. Sometimes, these offensively-talented "tweeners" hit walls with their original clubs and, if they don't get that change-of-scenery at the right time, they're forever thwarted. (See Jeff Tambellini on Long Island for a good example.)

JJ
I was expecting props for Matt Moulson here....

Old
03-09-2010, 09:43 AM
CommunistDayKare
I'M SORRY RUM HAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Jordan View Post

JJ
Agreed. And even if Teddy doesn't completely pan out, we still got a 3rd round pick for someone we wouldn't have resigned

Old
03-09-2010, 01:26 PM
Jon Jordan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobsled Gainey View Post
I was expecting props for Matt Moulson here....

Jeff Tambellini = bad example.

"Mighty" Matt Moulson = good example.

There you go.

JJ

Closed Thread