Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Northern Europe
Northern Europe Norway, Denmark, Iceland

Jonas Sass?

Old
11-02-2009, 03:49 PM
JustinHarrison1991

vCash: 500
Jonas Sass?

Can anyone give me any info on Jonas Sass? What type of player is he? How much potential does he have? Thank you.

JustinHarrison1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 06:26 PM
andersej

I see Sass play regularly and he is currently playing on the third line for Rødovre in the somewhat depleted Danish Elite League.

I would describe him as an energetic winger with some skill. He is small - obviously still young enough to grow a few inches - but he doesn't back down from contact. His skating is pretty good.

I couldn't find any official stats on his measurements, but he is quite small.

It's difficult to say what his ceiling is - that probably depends a lot on how much he grows in the next couple of years. I will say that I think he is acquitting himself quite well considering he is playing in a men's league at the age of 16. And he's still getting lots of games at the junior level and in the second tier league:

http://eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=32601

andersej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2009, 10:12 AM
Valdemar
Danish junior hockey

Jonas Sass is beeing interviewed on Rødovre Mighty Bulls homepage. He he, it is in danish but if you don't understand it, you can at least see how he looks like.

http://www.mightybulls.tv/webtv.asp?kat=alle

Valdemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2009, 09:12 PM
andersej

Sass was left off the Danish team for the Div. 1 Under 20 World Championships. He's still only 16, so he'll have another three years to make that team, but I would probably have picked him based on his performances in the Danish Elite League this season.

In fact, Sass was just one of three players born in 1993 I would have picked for this year's squad, the other two being Nicklas D. Jensen from Herning and Patrick Russell from Linköping. Of the three players mentioned, only Nicklas D. Jensen - son of Dan Jensen - made it to the preliminary squad for the Under 20 Championship. And from this preliminary squad another five names will be culled before the start of the tournament.

I guess the team selectors might have wanted to spare these young players so they'd be fresh for the Under 18 Championships which will be played on home ice in Herning in April.

Old
02-18-2010, 01:31 PM
MrSports*

This guy has potential but, he still needs time to see what he's
capable of playing to the fullest.

http://rmbfans.dk/archives/tag/jonas-sass

MrSports* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2010, 01:50 AM
Vandalay Industries

There was no way in hell Jonas Sass was making the under 20 team for this seasons World Championship.

He wasn't even close to being a prospect for that.

It's quite rare that J17 players make the J20 team. Lars Eller didn't even cut it in 2005/06, but usually there would be one J17 player on the J20 WC squad each year. Philip Larsen and Mikkel Bødker was on the team in 2006, so it's not impossible to see two J17's on the team, but it's very, very rare.

And Sass has at least 4 players ahead of him amongst the Danish players born in 1993: Nicklas Jensen, Patrick Russell, Thomas Spelling, Nikolai Meyer.

Sass is probably competing for the "fifth spot" on a 1993-list with the likes of Martin Højbjerg, Sebastian Ehlers, Christian Elsborg and maybe Nicki Kisum.

To top it all off, Sass hasn't even been on the J18 team so far, so how he should jump directly to J20, I will never know.

I'd probably pick him for the J18 squad this spring, if I was the national team manager, but he is not a sho-in given that he still hasn't been on the team for any of the preparation matches.

All this to say again: No way Sass was even remotely close to being picked for the J20 squad for this season. Perhaps next year, although he would have to elevate his game quite a lot.

Last edited by Vandalay Industries: 02-21-2010 at 01:55 AM.
Vandalay Industries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 10:25 PM
andersej

Vandalay:

You're probably right in that he wasn't even close to making the U20 team. I think Sass compares favourably to a lot of the players who - IMHO - occupied the final spots on the U20 team such as Malle, Søren Christiansen, Nordentoft or Søren Pedersen. In my philosophy, a 16-year-old player who outperforms 18-year-old players probably has a higher ceiling than the 18-year-old, so why not bring in the 16-year-old and try to develop him? I honestly don't see what was gained by picking the players listed above over Sass or Meyer or Spelling for that matter. Does anyone believe the players listed above who were selected has any chance of becoming Danish international players? If not, then why pick them over younger players with bigger potential who are outperforming them already?

The Danish league is not what it used to be, but if they can handle themselves playing against men, why shouldn't they be able to hold their own playing against 18- and 19-year-olds?

http://eliteprospects.com/league.php...tion=&sort=u20

Points are not everything, but Sass plays an energy-role on a third line in a men's league, he plays a physical style, is a good skater and puts up a fair amount of points. With that array of attributes he could be placed on any line. Even if 10 other forwards are deemed better than him, he would still be a nice fit on a 4th line.

I just don't see why he shouldn't be able to fill a similar role on a U20 team to the one he's got on a men's team.

Old
03-05-2010, 09:59 AM
Vandalay Industries

The problem isn't his age. The problem is, he is not as good as the other players, plus he has an attitude problem.

He is fine to mesh in at an elite team this season as the Danish league is quite awful this season, but he is not mature enough to beat out the likes you mentioned.

Nordentoft, Christiansen, Pedersen and Malle are all better players at the international junior level as of now. Probably won't stay better but for now they are.

It's a common flaw that people assume the best players are playing in the best leagues (Malle and Nordentoft ain't seeing much action at the elite level).

Sass is no where near as mature as these players. He could only fill in an offensive role and that is not enough at J20 Worlds unless you are more or less tearing up the other teams defenses. And he is not. He good for his age, but not good on a J20 national squad.

He has probably overheard somebody talking about contributing defensively, but he is absolutely not showing on the ice that he has any idea how it works. Maybe it will come... and then he can go on the national teams.

The national team coach is not wondering about the age. He is figuring out how to put together a team that can take Denmark to the A group. He will be looking for different skill sets. He needs some players that can playmake, some that can finish it off, some with a lot of muscle, some with strong defensive capabilities.

Sass was beaten by others in every single category and wasn't even going to fit in if 5-6 injuries to forwards came about.

Just telling it like it is...

Old
03-05-2010, 03:46 PM
andersej

I guess it boils down to a difference in philosophy about the junior teams. Obviously the coach will try to win at every cost and will ice the team he believes has the biggest chance of winning. That is the objective of every coach. But, that may not be what's best for Danish hockey in this instance. I think at the junior level - and especially for the last spots on the team - why not use the players with the biggest potential to give them a taste of what is asked of them at the next level?

For a young player, a spot as the 12th or 13th forward on a team such as the Under 20 National Team would be an excellent opportunity for that player. For a 19-year-old whose ceiling is probably that of a 3rd or 4th line role player in the Danish Elite League, I just don't see the point in giving the spot to the 19-year-old so he can play 4-5 minutes in every game and is highly unlikely to ever feature in the National Senior Team at any point in the future. Had they given that kind of spot to other players from the reportedly very talented '93 pool, I would have had no problem with that.

Besides, if the Danish Elite League is as awful as you say, doesn't it stand to reason that the Danish second tier league must be absolutely atrocious?

And please don't attack a player's personality without at least backing it up with examples. So often I hear people say 'This guy is arrogant' or 'that guy is so and so'. Most often I find that such comments end up saying more about the person uttering them than it does about the object of said comments.

I don't know Sass personally, but I have seen nothing to suggest that he has an attitude problem. On top of that, as a famous Danish soccer coach once said: 'The players on our team that cause us the most trouble, are often the same guys the opposing team can not handle.'

Last edited by andersej: 03-06-2010 at 04:47 AM. Reason: added section
Old
03-09-2010, 01:37 PM
Vandalay Industries

If he was as good as the other players, I would be for using the younger one of them.

But this is very serious business, not some sort of kindergarten experience.

Playing for a spot at the World Championship U20 group A is NOT to be taken as warm up or some sort of education for a 16 year old. Absolutely not.

NO coach in the world should take that as lightly as to wanna take on some 16 year olds indstead of the 19 year olds just because, maybe then he will learn more. They need to be ready for the job.

Then what in two years? Then Sass shouldn't be there because some younger players need the spot to learn?

The philosophy you are posing is for senior teams. NOT for juniors. And especially not something as important as the World Championship. Nobody should want to be there without setting up the best possible team to win the promotion to meet Canada, Sweden, Russia, USA and so on next year.

And still: As the top issue: Sass is simply not good enough and not mature enough.

He wasn't even close.

He wasn't even in the "brutto squad" of some 35 players, so please stop being wiser than three national team coaches/leaders.

It's obvious that you are hung up on him just because you are rooting for his club. Like I said, there would be at least three other forwards (apart from Nicklas Jensen) who would be ahead of Jonas Sass to compete for a spot on this team IF there should be more players born in 93.

Your request not to refer to the boys personality without examples is simply ludacris.

Old
03-09-2010, 05:46 PM
andersej

At the risk of repeating myself: I am talking about the 12th or 13th forward spot. That is not a spot you would generally expect to have much influence on the actual outcome of the games which is why I think that spot is suited for a younger player with potential rather than a 19-year-old with a man's physique but without the skillset to ever be considered for the senior national team.

I am a Rødovre-fan as you say. I take it you are not a fan of any team but kind of a Buddha-like neutral observer in the sky?

The fact that I am a fan does not mean that my observation of a player's talent is necessarily skewed or coloured. Please show me where I am stating that I think the entire national junior team should be made up of Rødovre players... It does however mean that I get to 'scout' Rødovre's players a lot more often than I do the young players on other teams. And so it is not entirely unthinkable that I have seen Sass play this season more often than some of the people involved with the national junior team. This may especially be true with a player like Sass who is very young and has emerged out of the blue to a lot of people. For obvious reasons, the people surrounding the national junior team do not watch nearly every Rødovre game like I do... For the same reason, I'd expect them to have a better grasp on players from other teams than I do. I have not been impressed with e.g. either Nicklas D. Jensen or Patrick Bjorkstrand the few times I have seen them play. Whereas a player such as Esbjerg's Jannick Christensen has been really good when I have seen him play. But I hope national team selectors have seen these guys play a lot more than I have, and so I have no problem with them being selected.

Fine, say what you want about a player's personality. It just doesn't carry any weight when it isn't backed up. Why should we believe you? I could say for instance that Nicklas D. Jensen is arrogant. What is the value of that statement? Nothing, absolutely nothing. I don't know him and I don't know anything about his personality. We can debate how players perform on the ice as that is something we can all see and form our own opinion about, but comments about off-ice behaviour without any specifics is useless IMHO.

Again, repeating myself: I would have had no problem if the spot had been given to another of the talented '93's. To put it another way: The day we see e.g. Jesper Malle on the Danish Senior National Team is the day you have won this argument. Until that day, I would have preferred the last spot on the team had been given to someone with the potential to one day become a Danish National Senior Team member. I think Sass is such a player, he is obviously not the only one, nor is he playing with the experience or the physique of a 19-year-old.

The reason we have a National Junior Team is to produce players for the National Senior Team. You'd want the Junior Team to play at the highest possible level, but you also should have your focus on developing players for the Senior Team.

Last edited by andersej: 03-09-2010 at 06:30 PM.
Old
03-10-2010, 09:48 AM
Vandalay Industries

It wasn't really that hard to spot that you had to be a fan of his team. You might find it to be irrelevant who occupies 12th and 13th spot on the team, which seems to be your biggest problem. What happens when players get injured and if you need to change tactics during a game and especially from game to game?????

Good thing, you're not a coach. Or maybe you would actually get the point, if you tried to coach a team for a few weeks.

But STILL, the biggest point......... for heavens sake......... HE WASN'T EVEN CLOSE, FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandalay Industries View Post
And still: As the top issue: Sass is simply not good enough and not mature enough.

He wasn't even close.

He wasn't even in the "brutto squad" of some 35 players, so please stop being wiser than three national team coaches/leaders.

Old
03-10-2010, 02:25 PM
andersej

Fair enough, we can agree to disagree... I fully understand the coach's reluctancy to pick too many 16-year olds. His objective is to win and to win now. That is not the only purpose of a national junior team IMHO.

Let me ask you something else: Do you think he is considered for the U18 champs? Despite all of your capital letters and exclamation marks, you can't deny that Sass has had a solid season in the Danish Elite League.

Last edited by andersej: 03-11-2010 at 01:03 AM.
Old
03-11-2010, 03:00 AM
Vandalay Industries

Personally I believe, I would pick him for the U18 squad, but I'm not so sure the national team coach would.

As far as I remember Nicklas Jensen was the only 93 on the U18 squad for the tournament i Füssen, which I really don't understand and it makes me unsure what their plans are.

If I was in charge I would want to use those tournaments to prepare for the World Championships with the team I wanted there, but instead all the other 93's were playing on the U17 team. Of course that keeps as many players as possible in the heat and I guess that is their focus, but then I just don't understand why Nicklas Jensen wasn't playing with the other 93's. Sure, he's the best of them, but it's not like he's in a different world.

Anyway, I would definitely expect Nicklas Jensen and Patrick Russell on the team and I would also be surprised if Nikolaj Meyer wasn't there. I would not be surprised if Sass and the Højbjerg twins aren't picked for the Worlds, but it's going to be a call the national team coach makes out of the camp. I'd be surprised if they weren't picked at least for the camp.

Martin Højbjerg is a better worker than Sass and that might be decisive among the two of them in the end since they are probably both amongst the players on the mend.

Old
03-12-2010, 06:24 AM
Valdemar
Danish junior hockey

To Vandalay Industries
I completly agree with your post #6, it says it all.

Quote:
Personally I believe, I would pick him for the U18 squad, but I'm not so sure the national team coach would.

As far as I remember Nicklas Jensen was the only 93 on the U18 squad for the tournament i Füssen (you mean against Norway), which I really don't understand and it makes me unsure what their plans are.
If I was in charge I would want to use those tournaments to prepare for the World Championships with the team I wanted there, but instead all the other 93's were playing on the U17 team. Of course that keeps as many players as possible in the heat and I guess that is their focus, but then I just don't understand why Nicklas Jensen wasn't playing with the other 93's. Sure, he's the best of them, but it's not like he's in a different world.

Anyway, I would definitely expect Nicklas Jensen and Patrick Russell on the team and I would also be surprised if Nikolaj Meyer wasn't there. I would not be surprised if Sass and the Højbjerg twins aren't picked for the Worlds, but it's going to be a call the national team coach makes out of the camp. I'd be surprised if they weren't picked at least for the camp.

Martin Højbjerg is a better worker than Sass and that might be decisive among the two of them in the end since they are probably both amongst the players on the mend.
Regarding the U18 squad, I am also confused about the moves by the coach. He seems to prefer age before talent, and that could prove fatal.

To me only 3 forwards from 1992 are sure picks:
Felix Maegaard-Scheel - Rögle (SWE)
Patrick Bjørkstrand – Herning
Anders Schultz - Hvidovre

And only 4 forwards from 1993 are sure picks:
Nicklas Jensen – Herning
Patrick Russell – Linköping
Nikolaj Meyer - Frederikshavn
Thomas Spelling - Herning

I am looking very much forward to the preliminary roster, as it would give us an indication of the thoughts of the coach.

And yes, I would also like to see Sass on the team, but if he were, he would be one of the last to be picked.

Old
03-23-2010, 12:05 PM
Vandalay Industries

After watching all the games over the weekend in Frederikshavn, I gotta say Jonas Sass will definitely not be in the U18 squad.

He is not strong enough in the all round game, and I still have to say, that his attitude on the ice is no good. He wasn't even the best Rødovre player on their U17 squad.

He has a lot of work ahead of him. He definitely has nice skills and skates very well, but he uses his skills poorly and has no work ethics and a primadonna attitude.

I'm willing to bet big money on him not being in the Danish U18 squad. I actually think by now that he won't even be in the preliminary selection.

But I suppose he has one more chance to redeem himself. At the U20 Danish Championships. If he picks up his game big time and shows a much better attitude, I suppose he still has a very small chance.

Does anyone know when the preliminary roster is set?

Old
03-27-2010, 06:43 AM
andersej

I don't necessarily disagree with your assessment. Obviously there are weaknesses in Sass' game. But, I don't expect any 16-year-old to be complete players. At that age, the skills and the skating that Sass has can not be taught. Defensive awareness can be.

Now as we have discussed, the '93 year is one of the most talented in Danish hockey so it may be an exception to the rule, but in any given year in Danish hockey, it's very rare that more than say 3 or 4 players have a potential ceiling of becoming international players for Denmark. Looking at the strong points in Sass' game, I believe he is one of those players. Given the scarceness of talent in Denmark, I think the philosophy must be to focus on the players with the higher ceiling rather than the well rounded players with less potential. Please understand that this is my general philosophy on talent development in Denmark in general, and it is in no way limited to Sass.

I have seen the peak skill level in Sass' game and I believe that in time, if the rest of his game can be brought around, he has the potential to be a Denmark international. In fact, many of the best Danish international players in the past were nowhere near complete players and yet they played important roles on the Danish national team.

Off the top of my head I would mention players like Jens Nielsen, Heinz Ehlers, Ronny Larsen, Morten Green and Morten Madsen. All of them were/are players with serious deficiencies in their game. None of them ever became complete players and yet at their peak, they all were/are important players on the Danish national team.

Old
04-06-2010, 05:13 AM
andersej

Quote:

But I suppose he has one more chance to redeem himself. At the U20 Danish Championships. If he picks up his game big time and shows a much better attitude, I suppose he still has a very small chance.

Does anyone know when the preliminary roster is set?
I would say he did pretty well during the U20 Danish Championships. He ended up as the top scorer for the subsequent champions Rødovre with 4 goals and 1 assist in 3 games. But as per usual, the Danish Ice Hockey Federation is panfully slow in releasing the roster for the U18 World Championships. It is now what, five days away, and still no word, not even a preliminary squad? Unless of course someone has access to sources I have yet to discover.

Old
04-07-2010, 09:44 AM
Valdemar
Danish junior hockey

The preliminary roster has been announced on the DIU homepage:

http://www.ishockey.dk/vm06/new/Docu...nu=&Nyhed=1808

... and Jonas Sass in not on the list.

Old
11-17-2010, 10:14 PM
andersej

Sass is one of only two players in the Danish League listed in the NHL Central Scouting preliminary rankings, behind only Thomas Spelling of Herning. Considering that Sass missed the beginning of the season following his traffic accident I think it's fair to say that I am not the only one who has noticed his potential. He only played his first game of the season something the day before the rankings were published.

And now that Jesper Malle is also on the Rødovre team I have had an easy time comparing the two, and it's not even close. Malle will - IMHO - forever struggle to hold down a spot on any team in the Danish Elite League and has indeed been a healthy scratch on many occasions already this season on a not very deep Rødovre team. I still see no reason why Malle was picked over Sass or any other of the talented '93's left off the team. At this point I think Sass is a lock to make the U18 World Champs team in April and I think he should be a solid candidate for the U20 team in December if he can get a few more games under his belt before the team is selected.

Old
08-28-2011, 12:43 PM
andersej

Now Sass has moved on to Herlev and I'm still a Rødovre fan, so I wonder what some posters will make of this. He has been impressive so far this pre-season and it looks like he will have an important role on a revamped Herlev team. Funny how he was named Captain of the national U-18 team last season, despite being labeled arrogant by some posters.

Anyways, I'm just here to stick my neck out and say that Sass will be in the top 3 in league scoring for the U-20'ies this season.

So, flame away...

Old
09-12-2011, 09:07 AM
Bank

Quote:
Originally Posted by andersej View Post
Now Sass has moved on to Herlev and I'm still a Rødovre fan, so I wonder what some posters will make of this. He has been impressive so far this pre-season and it looks like he will have an important role on a revamped Herlev team. Funny how he was named Captain of the national U-18 team last season, despite being labeled arrogant by some posters.

Anyways, I'm just here to stick my neck out and say that Sass will be in the top 3 in league scoring for the U-20'ies this season.

So, flame away...
I'll stick my neck right out there with you and say he will not be in the top 3 of U20'ies. My arguments are named Anders, Thomas and Patrick

Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 11:26 AM
andersej

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bank View Post
I'll stick my neck right out there with you and say he will not be in the top 3 of U20'ies. My arguments are named Anders, Thomas and Patrick
Not bad suggestions - except Anders Førster is 23 years old and does not count... Spelling and Bjorkstrand will be right there. I guess you're thinking of Anders Schultz? He has shown he can score in the juniors, but so far only 1 goal in the seniors, so it would be quite a leap. Also, I don't know if he will be given the top 6 minutes to get the required production. Sass will be playing huge minutes with quality linemates such as Staal (when not injured) Storm and Sinisalo.

Old
09-18-2011, 03:14 PM
Bank

Quote:
Not bad suggestions - except Anders Førster is 23 years old and does not count... Spelling and Bjorkstrand will be right there. I guess you're thinking of Anders Schultz? He has shown he can score in the juniors, but so far only 1 goal in the seniors, so it would be quite a leap. Also, I don't know if he will be given the top 6 minutes to get the required production. Sass will be playing huge minutes with quality linemates such as Staal (when not injured) Storm and Sinisalo.
Well as I understand it Anders Schultz is now leaving Denmark to play juniors in USA, so he's out of it. Even though he's ahead of Sass already

And about the top 6-time... Let's see... Dresler, Storm, Staal, Sinisalo, Johanson og perhaps even Phillips will make sure he's getting nothing for free.

But with Schultz out of the race Sass will most likely be in the top 3. In my eyes he's in the tier just behind Spelling and Bjorkstrand along with Lasse Bang, Nicki Kisum, Thomas Søndergaard, Mathias Bau and Rasmus Bjerring. None of those players will get the time Sass gets, so now you'll get your way so to speak

Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 08:22 AM
Vandalay Industries

Quote:
Funny how he was named Captain of the national U-18 team last season, despite being labeled arrogant by some posters.

Just rediscovered this thread. Pretty funny to read again.

The national team coach decided to have a chat with Sass after the problems with his attitude earlier on in the career, and I'm sure his club coach did the same (I only talked to the national team coach about it, so I don't know what the club coach did).

The national team coach was very impressed with how Sass decided to actually do something about the attitude and by naming him captain he felt sure Sass would stay on track. Good decision.

But it's pretty arrogant by you to be sarcastic about a thing that you obviously knew nothing about.

You started out by naming him to the U20 team and you were way, way, WAY off. He didnt even make the U18 team that season. But evenso, you kept arguing instead of realizing, accepting and maybe even praise the fact that I was actually on the right track all along and you weren't...