HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Notices

Is it time to split up the SDS line?

Closed Thread

Old
03-07-2010, 01:05 AM
kinggelato

vCash: 500
Is it time to split up the SDS line?

I think it might be time for the better of the whole team to put St. Louis back on Vinny's line and let Stamkos stand on his own. Maybe igniting some other players.

Tanguay-Stamkos--Malone
St. Louis-Vinny-Purcell(Downie)

I really think Malone needs to be on one of the top two lines. Tanguay I put on there mainly for his skating and passing ability.

or

Downie-Stamkos-Malone
St. Louis-Vinny-Purcell

If Tanguay isnt in the top 2 lines I think he should be benched. His skills are not fitted for playing on the 3 or 4th line. Biggest problem with this line up is Stamkos would be surrounded by gritty guys rather than anyone that fits any kind of playmaker category.

Thoughts?

Old
03-07-2010, 03:38 AM
DapperDan
Bad Thoughts

Kings fan here. One of the first thoughts I had when I saw the Halpern-Purcell trade was that Purcell should be tried out on Stamkos' wing. IMO he was one the best natural passers on the Kings and that would translate well if he's playing with a goal-scorer like Stamkos. He can really slow things down on the PP too. I don't know much about Tampa's lines but if I were to arrange a top 6, it would look something like this:

Malone - Stamkos - Purcell (grit - scorer - playmaker)
Tanguay - Lecavalier - St. Louis

Old
03-07-2010, 04:03 AM
garmonbozia

Downie and Marty have played too well to both get dropped. Tocchet mentioned recently that he's been reluctant to mess with that line because its been the only one scoring. If splitting them up doesn't get others going, then what? Then we've probably had another rough losing streak that guarantees no playoffs

Personally, I'd go with;

Malone - Stamkos - St. Louis
Purcell - Lecavalier - Downie
Tanguay/Veilleux - Sczechura - Parrish
Veilleux/Fedoruk - Konopka - Hall

Rotate Thompson in to any bottom 6 spot when someone needs to be benched for a game or two...or twenty.

Not a Hall fan, would as soon bring Craig back up...just want a little more effort in the lineup, a little more hunger, some desperation, some "if this is my last chance to make an impression at this level I'm going to do everything I *&#%ing can".

Further, I'd seriously consider rotating some of Norfolk's D up for "looks" too. Our defense currently seems too comfortable being the weak link for my liking.

Oh, and....paging Mr. Ranger, Mr. Paul Ranger, you have a call on the yellow service phone. Weren't there halfway legitimate rumors leaking from the team hinting a return was near back in late January/early Feb.? I know its too much to expect him to suit up and contribute much with so little time left, but, damn I can't help but wish that exact thing would happen.

Old
03-07-2010, 07:51 AM
The Jumping Shrimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinggelato View Post
I think it might be time for the better of the whole team to put St. Louis back on Vinny's line and let Stamkos stand on his own. Maybe igniting some other players.

Tanguay-Stamkos--Malone
St. Louis-Vinny-Purcell(Downie)

I really think Malone needs to be on one of the top two lines. Tanguay I put on there mainly for his skating and passing ability.

or

Downie-Stamkos-Malone
St. Louis-Vinny-Purcell

If Tanguay isnt in the top 2 lines I think he should be benched. His skills are not fitted for playing on the 3 or 4th line. Biggest problem with this line up is Stamkos would be surrounded by gritty guys rather than anyone that fits any kind of playmaker category.

Thoughts?
Well, there was some nice passing going on with Vinny's goal that St. Louis and Purcell assisted on.

Old
03-07-2010, 09:55 AM
Vasilevskiy
I've many surnames

NO.

They have too good chemistry to split the line.

Old
03-07-2010, 11:01 AM
The Fuhr

Since Jan 1st...

Downie - 24GP 9G 23Pts 92PIM +14
Stamkos - 24GP 19G 39Pts +12
MSL - 24GP 17G 33Pts +5

Old
03-07-2010, 12:50 PM
TheDaysOf 04
Rated [SFY]

Quote:
Originally Posted by viktors89 View Post
NO.

They have too good chemistry to split the line.
agreed. And it looks like Vinny and Purcell almost instantly created something good together, so I think we'll be fine. Bigger question will be if the goaltending can hold up.

Old
03-07-2010, 01:11 PM
kinggelato

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fuhr View Post
Since Jan 1st...

Downie - 24GP 9G 23Pts 92PIM +14
Stamkos - 24GP 19G 39Pts +12
MSL - 24GP 17G 33Pts +5
I think your missing the point. There is no doubt that line is strong, but after that the team doesnt have much. I think Stamkos has the ability to stand on his own and still have the same succes if not close to the success he is having now. He has become that strong.
Adding St. Louis to Vinny's line could give us two explosive lines.

With the lack of D that his team has and if he goaltending isn't outstanding, I don't this will make the playoffs without two scoring lines and it certainly play more than 5 games if they do.

Old
03-07-2010, 02:34 PM
Bolt32

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinggelato View Post
I think your missing the point. There is no doubt that line is strong, but after that the team doesnt have much. I think Stamkos has the ability to stand on his own and still have the same succes if not close to the success he is having now. He has become that strong.
Adding St. Louis to Vinny's line could give us two explosive lines.

With the lack of D that his team has and if he goaltending isn't outstanding, I don't this will make the playoffs without two scoring lines and it certainly play more than 5 games if they do.
Adding the Battery; Purcell to Vinnys line seemed to give him the spark he needed to go back to his old self. Lets see how that plays out first, before we start changing everything. IF it doesn't work out, we should just address the situation in the off season, not mess up our only line thats knocking goals in.

Old
03-09-2010, 01:48 PM
newham89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolt32 View Post
Adding the Battery; Purcell to Vinnys line seemed to give him the spark he needed to go back to his old self. Lets see how that plays out first, before we start changing everything. IF it doesn't work out, we should just address the situation in the off season, not mess up our only line thats knocking goals in.
Agreed, 100%

Closed Thread