HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Offical 2010 Red Wing Draft Thread

Closed Thread

Old
03-09-2010, 12:37 PM
zetterberg40

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to zetterberg40
Offical 2010 Red Wing Draft Thread

I think its about time we jot some discussions on who Detroit should be targeting in the draft since it is almost 3.5 months away.

Our Current Top 10 Prospects:

1. Jakub Kindl - Defenseman
2. Brenden Smith - Defenseman
3. Daniel Larsson - Goaltender
4. Tomas Tatar - Left Wing
5. Justin Abdelkader - Center
6. Landon Ferraro - Right Wing
7. Thomas McCollum - Goaltender
8. Jan Mursak - Right Wing
9. Gustav Nyquist - Center
10. Cory Emmerton - Center

Pros:
-Puck Rushing defensemen
-Goaltending

Cons:
-Power Forward with top 6 talent
-Top 4 Big bodied, crease clearing defenseman
-Top 6/First line Scoring Winger ??

Players based on what I've read who could be interesting to watch:

Quote:
Nick Bjugstad Center USA HS
o Notes: He has a verbal commitment to the University of Minnesota (WCHA). He moves very quickly through zones, with the puck and has a great set of feet, to change direction just as fast. He plays very hard and competes every shift. - International Scouting Services
o It's hard not to love his game. He's got great frame to build on along with a pretty strong skating ability. The kid can really bring it with a quick release as well. It'll be interesting to see where he does end up come draft day, I think he's got a chance to be a good one. I think if he fulfills his potential, you're looking at a Jeff Carter type of player.
-Also 6'4, 188 lbs

Quote:
Jeffrey Skinner - Forward OHL (Kitchener)
o Notes: Agile skater with very good outside speed and puck control at full speed. Has strong and accurate wrist shot and is a two-way hard working player. - International Scouting Services
o Skinner has definitely been a huge riser. People can point to size and skating and whatnot, but that pure finishing ability is something that will most definitely get him drafted high by an NHL team.
-5'10, 197 lbs

Quote:
Dylan McIlrath Defenseman WHL (Moose Jaw)
o Notes: Has no problem mixing it up as he displayed in the top prospects game by fighting Alex Petrovic of the Red Deer Rebels. He has dropped the gloves 13 times this season for Moose Jaw. Finished last year at with a minus-22 rating and is plus-21 so far this season.
-6'5, 215 lbs

Old
03-09-2010, 01:48 PM
Dogkota

I want Holland to trade up and chase El Nino. He's the complete package and with the right development could be a sensational player.

Old
03-09-2010, 04:16 PM
Vatican Roulette
Mona Lisa Lily

Dylan McIlrath please. Not only do I think he'll become a steady top 4 d-man, but he's one mean SOB.

Also, Johansen, Forbort, or Burmistrov will work for me.

Bjugstad wouldn't be a horrible choice either. Lots of talent in this draft.

Old
03-09-2010, 04:19 PM
jaster
glendeningforcaptain

The Wings need a top-6 center prospect. They have zero in their system, unless you count Ferraro, but I don't, I think he's a winger at the NHL level. Hopefully there is a good one available in the first round.

Old
03-09-2010, 09:13 PM
r0bert8841

Send a message via AIM to r0bert8841
I'd say it is really a toss up between forward and defensemen being drafted with our first pick.

I am really hoping for El Nino!!!!

I recall some draft talk in the prospect thread, I'll try to dig it up.

Old
03-09-2010, 09:18 PM
GT500x
Im OK where we're at

I suppose we should start thinking about the Loser's Cup, I mean the draft

Old
03-09-2010, 09:26 PM
Matt714*

Send a message via MSN to Matt714*
Taylor Hall ?

Old
03-10-2010, 10:04 AM
FissionFire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaster View Post
The Wings need a top-6 center prospect. They have zero in their system, unless you count Ferraro, but I don't, I think he's a winger at the NHL level. Hopefully there is a good one available in the first round.
The thing is they already have a pair of 1st line centers in Datsyuk and Zetterberg locked up for quite awhile and Filppula certainly looks like he could be a solid 2nd line pivot if given the job. Top line centers are just not really a hole on this team for the forseeable future. They need wingers impact defensemen most right now. If you look ahead for the next 3-5 years.....

Center
Datsyuk is signed 4 more years (probably re-signed)
Zetterberg is signed forever
Filppula is signed for 3 more years (he'll likely be re-signed)
Helm is going to be re-signed and should be here for the next 3+ years
* We're pretty well set at center with Emmerton being a potential bottom 6 pivot and Abdelkader being a potential 2nd/3rd tweener at center or wing. You've also for Andersson over in Sweden who is projected to be a Pahlsson-type 3rd/4th line center. Unless the plan is to move Zetterberg to the wing for the rest of his career the Wings just don't have any openings at center until 2014-15 at best IF Datsyuk falls off the table by then and I wouldn't count on that just yet.

Winger
Franzen is signed until armageddon
Cleary is signed 3 more years
* That's pretty much it at wing. We've got some nice talent that could pan out in Mursak, Tatar, Ferraro, Nyqvist, Axelsson, heck even Coetzee but none of them are really close to being ready to claim a top 6 role on the Wings. We have lots of maybe's but nothing that screams 25+ goal player consistently yet. Honestly, we'd be lucky if just 1 of those 6 prospects developed into a consistent 30+ goal 1st liner. We still need lots of help, but it's not a priority since productive wingers who can fill in are available every season in the free agency bargain bin (a la Bertuzzi, Williams). A decent quick-fix top 6 winger can be found for 2M of less usually.

Defense
Rafalski is signed 2 more years
Kronwall is signed 2 more years (probably re-signed)
Stuart is signed 2 more years
Ericsson is signed 1 more year (probably re-signed)
Kindl is signed 3 more years
* This is where the biggest question marks lie. Kronwall and Ericsson will probably be re-signed but both Rafalski and Stuart are still up in the air. Guys like Smith and Lashoff are really our best bets after Kindl to develop into top 4 guys to replace them. The defense pipeline for top 2/4 talent is pretty bare right now. If Ericsson and/or Kindl fall off we just don't have anything else to hang our hat on instead. Guys like Pyett, Kolosov, Tollefsen, Nicastro, etc. really don't look like much more than bottom pairing/depth players right now although there is some time for them to step it up still. Defense is really our area of need, especially considering the premium you have to pay in free agency to get a quality player (6M for Rafalski, 3.75M for Stuart). Even a serviceable 2nd pairing defenseman usually commands 3M+ onm the market. This is where I think the draft needs to focus most on since this is the area we have the most questions about moving forward.

Goalie
Osgood is signed 1 more year
Howard is signed 1 more year
* This is where it can get dicey. We have plenty of potential in the system with Larsson and McCollum, but they need to both take a some big steps to be guys you can count on for the future. Howard has shown promise as a rookie, but after next season he's an unrestricted free agent and if he has a strong sophomore season he could be ripe for the picking by another team. The dollars spent in goal are certainly doing to rise significantly, be it a Howard re-signing or a signing/trade for an established #1 goalie. Right now all we can hang our hats on is Howard because Larsson doesn't appear NHL-ready and McCollum looks to be forever and a day away from the NHL.

All that said, I'd stick with defense at the draft and keep building there. Developing a blue-chip blueliner is invaluable. Those guys are cheap on the cap and cornerstones for a franchise. Plus a defenseman is almost always worth more in a trade than a comparable forward. From a sheer value standpoint this is really the best position to invest your top resources in. Going for a winger wouldn't hurt either but I just don't see it as being the best option. Going for a center or goalie IMO is just not a very good idea.

We've still got some super green prospect as well that could develop (a la Almqvist, Nestrasil) but counting on anything from them this early is just folly. They have a long way to go before you can consider them as possible NHLers one day.

Old
03-10-2010, 10:55 AM
jaster
glendeningforcaptain

Quote:
Originally Posted by FissionFire View Post
The thing is they already have a pair of 1st line centers in Datsyuk and Zetterberg locked up for quite awhile and Filppula certainly looks like he could be a solid 2nd line pivot if given the job. Top line centers are just not really a hole on this team for the forseeable future. They need wingers impact defensemen most right now. If you look ahead for the next 3-5 years.....

Center
Zetterberg is signed forever
Filppula is signed for 3 more years (he'll likely be re-signed)
Helm is going to be re-signed and should be here for the next 3+ years
* We're pretty well set at center with Emmerton being a potential bottom 6 pivot and Abdelkader being a potential 2nd/3rd tweener at center or wing. You've also for Andersson over in Sweden who is projected to be a Pahlsson-type 3rd/4th line center. Unless the plan is to move Zetterberg to the wing for the rest of his career the Wings just don't have any openings at center until 2014-15 at best IF Datsyuk falls off the table by then and I wouldn't count on that just yet.
Datsyuk is turning 32. Zetterberg is turning 30. When you take into account that a top-6 center draft pick will probably take at least 5-6 years to actually become a top-6 center in Detroit, the Wings don't have quite as much time as you'd hope. Yeah, for the next 3-5 years the Wings are fine, but what about after that? And I am talking about top-6 centers, so Helm, Emmerton, Abdelkader, and Andersson don't enter the equation.

How many potential top-4 defensemen do the Wings have outside of Detroit? I count 3-4.

How many potential top-6 wingers do the Wings have outside of Detroit? I count 5-6.

How many potential top-6 centers do the Wings have outside of Detroit? I count 0.

Your breakdown is thorough, but I don't think you are looking far enough ahead.

Last edited by jaster: 03-10-2010 at 11:09 AM.
Old
03-10-2010, 10:58 AM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Forget position.
Ask your scouts who the best player is and take him.

Old
03-10-2010, 11:20 AM
zetterberg40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
Forget position.
As long as its not a goalie.

Other teams have a ton of goalies and cant trade them as it is, last thing we need is a prospect pool of someone just as good as Larsson and McCollum right now.

I think we really need a physical, crease clearing defenseman who will drop the mits too. I dont want a 6'5 teddy bear.

Old
03-10-2010, 01:00 PM
Marky9er

Sorry guys I really dropped the ball on watching the OHL this year. Brampton pretty lame w/o Duchene and Grachev....not to mention Hodgson missing most of the year. I haven't seen much of my beloved Storm this year either, they have been quite the underachievers from what I understand.

off the top of my head,

John McFarland having a pretty bad season dropping like a rock on a bad team....a prospect we should probaly have no right getting could fall right into our laps. This guy has been touted as a top 5 pick for the last 2-3 years, and will likely fall to late 1st. Then again, maybe he is already a bust at the OHL level and will free fall far enough to take a flyer in the 2nd/or not worth the risk amongst 'safer' prospects.

Jeff Skinner looks like hes having an unreal season, but I hate the Rangers. :p

Ryan Spooner is an incredibly talented kid, I hope we get a shot at him in the 2nd round.

A later round pick would be well spent on Sam Carrick...he is a tough little workhorse....but a 3rd/4th line role player at best so whatev.

I'll let Holland & Co. do the picking...I haven't been paying attention this year, been too busy watching DRW/Olympics.

Old
03-10-2010, 01:58 PM
zetterberg40

I would not mind another "trade a late first for a early second and a free third" again..

Old
03-10-2010, 02:14 PM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

I doubt we're going to have a late first to trade... where we're likely to be drafting, it makes more sense to trade up.

Old
03-10-2010, 03:14 PM
TheMoreYouKnow

If we are 4 or more points out with 10 games left, jockey for a better draft position? Finishing 9th is a way to ruin a franchise.

Old
03-10-2010, 03:24 PM
r0bert8841

Good post FF, great read I totally agree.

We can sort of make a list of players the Wings would pick. I feel that the Red Wings has shown in recent years that with their earlier picks they will choose a player type they feel they cannot obtain in the later rounds. Players with size and skilled North Americans are the 2 traits most of our recent early round draft picks have in common. The players with size tends to be Defensemen for the Wings but their are a few examples of forwards like HTD and Abby. The reason I say they pick skilled North Americans early is because they are "safer" picks and because it is very rare for North American prospects to fall through the cracks. North American players bring certain intangibles to the game like physical play and being used to smaller rinks. Every team needs a Draper and Maltby to lighten the mood and have a good time. The problem the Wings have is they seem to have trouble drafting North Americans outside the 3rd or 4th round.

To make the most out of the draft they play a supply and demand game and draft the safer picks earlier and the high risk/reward picks later. I think they started this method around 2005 (just by looking at the draft history), which is also the year the salary cap was put into place. I believe that is where the Wings realized that they will need to build through the draft and decided that each year they need some safe picks to fall back on if the high risk/reward picks don't work out.

So we can sort of predict that the Wings will pick a Big player (which would most likely be a defensemen), a North American player, or a generational type player they can't pass up.

Old
03-10-2010, 03:26 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
Forget position.
Agreed. Regardless of who is picked, they won't be someone able to immediately step into the lineup and make an impact. So get the guy with the most tools in his box and hope he can put together his cabinet.

03-10-2010, 05:31 PM
jkrx

imo Red Wings is in need of a franchise player. Not for next season but who will make the roster in 3-5 years. This draft seems fairly weak tho..

Old
03-10-2010, 06:35 PM
zetterberg40

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrx View Post
imo Red Wings is in need of a franchise player. Not for next season but who will make the roster in 3-5 years. This draft seems fairly weak tho..
Unless we get really lucky then I dont see that happening anytime soon. One can hope right?

Old
03-10-2010, 08:33 PM
Redwingsfan
Global Moderator
What rust??

Awards:
Send a message via MSN to Redwingsfan
Mikael Granlund, please.. He fell to #16 for me in a mock draft, so who knows

Old
03-10-2010, 08:59 PM
r0bert8841

Why have a couple highly regarded Fin and Russian prospects stock drop lately? I don't follow the draft much but I recall hearing some of these guys are dropping.

Old
03-11-2010, 12:41 AM
FabricDetails

Quote:
I think it's very possible that Datsyuk bolts for the KHL after his contract is up. He said he wants to finish his career in the KHL and I don't think he meant over the age of 40.

Quote:
Guys like Pyett, Kolosov, Tollefsen, Nicastro, etc. really don't look like much more than bottom pairing/depth players right now although there is some time for them to step it up still.
Nicastro I think definitely has top-4 potential similar to Lashoff. His development will only take longer because he'll be in college.

Old
03-11-2010, 02:17 AM
ChadS

I'd love us to get Teemu Pulkkinen. That guy has enormous potential and, IMO, will be a future franchise player in the NHL. Him falling out of the top-15 has been mostly because his unlucky injuries and not getting a consistant chance to show his skills in a veteran oriented Jokerit team. He only played 17 games in the juniors but ended up 13th in scoring. His point per game average was 2,4 whereas the league leader had 1,46. If he had played the whole season, he'd won the league scoring by almost 40 points.

He needs to work on his defensive play, hopefully get a bit taller and try to pick up some more speed. He might be coming over to NA and Kelowna next season and I think he well produce better than Rajala has. Even if he's a year younger, he already looks better than Rajala.

Old
03-11-2010, 02:24 AM
crazy Kassian
The North Remembers

Evgeny Kuznetsov, he could turn out to be easily the best Russian in this entire draft

Old
03-11-2010, 06:43 PM
TheFirebird
Resurget Cineribus

Why don't we look at a realistic ranking for some direction, say, one that a respectable member of HFBoards compiled with a lot of evidence to back it up.

http://nhlyoungguns.com/NHL-2010-Ent...-List-Top-210/

IF we are going to "trade-up" for a draft pick, the only two picks that I would feel comfortable with would be either of Maksim Kitsyn or Stanislav Galiev. Any Russian forward in the first round of this draft is likely a good high-skill pick, and I am tired of the label of "team Sweden" that the Red Wings have.

Niederreiter is a good player, but these two players have proven to be more consistent, and I believe that they have a much greater development potential. At the least, Galiev should develop into a Hossa-esque power/skill forward, and Kitsyn is huge and very skilled. Look them up if you want more info on them, or if you have doubts.

Personally, I just want a little bit of the Russian Five's magic back in Hockey Town; most of that is coaching, I know, but that country breeds high skill players, it can't be denied.

Closed Thread