HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

RBK Pumps

Old
03-08-2010, 10:37 PM
MNWild9

vCash: 500
I broke down today and bought a pair. I went to the LHS as I was looking around I found a pair of RBK 5's for a 125. I really couldn't pass them up at that price. I can't wait to try them out this weekend.

MNWild9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2010, 04:31 PM
Ruhnie

I'm glad to see that others have had positive experiences with the pumps, but unfortunately I must add to the negative here.

I bought a pair of 9Ks about 2 months ago to replace very old skates that had both blade runners crack simultaneously. Yes, I know, that's really weird. Anyway, I loved the fit and feel of the RBK skates, and coming from CCMs that isn't surprising since they are the same boots pretty much. No other brand fits my foot, and the pump was just kind of a throw-in for me, it wasn't a necessity.

Or so I thought. After baking the skates, I noticed that my right heel was not locked and could move a few mms up and down. The pump fills that extra space beautifully and locks my heel into place. Unfortunately for me, the pumps leak after a few shifts. I am constantly re-pumping every couple of shifts. It seems though, that after a period or two, pumping has no effect. When I click to let the air out of the bladder at the end of the game, there's no "swoosh" sound as no air escapes.

If I can find a 2-3 week period that I can take off from playing I will be sending these back to RBK as a warranty replacement for a faulty pump. It sucks that my local shop wouldn't replace them for me even though I noticed the problem 2 days after purchase.

TL;DR version - Pumps are finicky, do not buy unless the skate fits w/o pumping. The end.

Ruhnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2010, 04:51 PM
Skraut

Sucks that you had an issue. Something to keep in mind when you get your skates back:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
Was warned by my LHS not to inflate the pumps for a day or so after baking. Apparently they had several people blow out the pumps trying to inflate them while hot. Don't know if that is still the case, but probably not a bad idea.
You mentioned it happened after baking. It could be the glue in the pump air pocket got loose when they were baked.

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2010, 05:24 PM
LarryO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhnie View Post
I'm glad to see that others have had positive experiences with the pumps, but unfortunately I must add to the negative here.

I bought a pair of 9Ks about 2 months ago to replace very old skates that had both blade runners crack simultaneously. Yes, I know, that's really weird. Anyway, I loved the fit and feel of the RBK skates, and coming from CCMs that isn't surprising since they are the same boots pretty much. No other brand fits my foot, and the pump was just kind of a throw-in for me, it wasn't a necessity.

Or so I thought. After baking the skates, I noticed that my right heel was not locked and could move a few mms up and down. The pump fills that extra space beautifully and locks my heel into place. Unfortunately for me, the pumps leak after a few shifts. I am constantly re-pumping every couple of shifts. It seems though, that after a period or two, pumping has no effect. When I click to let the air out of the bladder at the end of the game, there's no "swoosh" sound as no air escapes.

If I can find a 2-3 week period that I can take off from playing I will be sending these back to RBK as a warranty replacement for a faulty pump. It sucks that my local shop wouldn't replace them for me even though I noticed the problem 2 days after purchase.

TL;DR version - Pumps are finicky, do not buy unless the skate fits w/o pumping. The end.
You better not wait too long. I think the warranty is only 3 months.

LarryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 01:56 PM
MNWild9

you do know that you should let your skates set so the pump can have time to set. when they are baked it weakens the pump lineing. before buying them i read a lot of reviews.

MNWild9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 02:19 PM
Ruhnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryO View Post
You better not wait too long. I think the warranty is only 3 months.
Damn, for some reason I thought I had a year. In that case, I may just be keeping them. I'd rather deal with a very small slip in my heel than miss several weeks of games. It doesn't cause a blister or any discomfort. Only time I even notice it is on the bench when I check it.

Ruhnie is offline   Reply With Quote