HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How would you feel about bringing zherdev back next year?

Old
03-10-2010, 12:21 PM
pld459666

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
Why would he come back to the Rangers? This isn't fantasy land

Also, he's not going to come back and admit defeat by signing some ludicrously cheap contract. He is going to want similar to what he wanted when he left
What makes you think that he's going to get it now, when he couldn't get it fresh off a 58Pt season?

He was free to sign with anyone once the Rangers walked away from the 3.9 award.

A year away from the NHL isn't going to get teams lining up to give this guy 4 million.

He's probably going to sign a 1 year deal for a low base, post a 65+ point season, cash in and get his 4+ million multi year deal.

Last edited by pld459666: 03-10-2010 at 12:39 PM.
pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 12:21 PM
haohmaru
boomshakalaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
So, you're saying they could have reached some kind of compromise? The problem is the Rangers didn't want to reach a compromise. They had cast the die before the arbitration hearing...dealing Korpikoski for Lisin, and then signing Kotalik. (I didn't like either move.)
They couldn't reach a compromise. The arbitrator awarded 3.9 million and the Rangers walked away. Zherdev wanted 4.5 and the Rangers offered 3.25.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 12:31 PM
DutchShamrock

Is the KHL like the RSL where they didn't count secondary assists?

I'd take him at less than the $3m he wanted... probably just to be spiteful. I don't want to hear Kotalik as a justification for paying Zherdev that much, I didn't want Kotalik for $3m and it was a bad signing. Zherdev is a good scorer and pretty much unnotable beyond that. He would address a need but I wouldn't break down any doors to be the first to sign him.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 12:33 PM
nyrfan519

I'd take him back in a heartbeat.

nyrfan519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 12:35 PM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
So, you're saying they could have reached some kind of compromise? The problem is the Rangers didn't want to reach a compromise. They had cast the die before the arbitration hearing...dealing Korpikoski for Lisin, and then signing Kotalik. (I didn't like either move.)
Don't know if the die was cast cause if the Rangers had won the case they probably would have not walked away and would have had the player for the 3.25 (or thereabouts) that they were looking to get

Z was awarded 3.9 and the Rangers walked.

Signing Kotalik and trading for Lisin were more of the insurance/pressure variety moves that teams make when trying to get a player to sign for favorable terms.

Z's play was that should the Rangers walk, he becomes a UFA and can ink with the team of his choosing....not realizing that the rest of the league pretty much feels the same way as the Rangers and no one, NO ONE met his asking price or came close enough to it for Z to stay.

mis-calculations on both parts and now he's in the KHL playing what he probably believes is good hockey. I haven't see him play other than a highlight goal that if he tried that here, he would have been knocked on his butt.

Old
03-10-2010, 12:37 PM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
They couldn't reach a compromise. The arbitrator awarded 3.9 million and the Rangers walked away. Zherdev wanted 4.5 and the Rangers offered 3.25.
Think he meant before the hearing.

Old
03-10-2010, 12:44 PM
Garfinkel1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chariot View Post
Marcel Hossa is out performing Zehrdez in the KHL

JUST SAYIN
Marcel Hossa is out-performing a LOT of players in the KHL. It doesn't make sense to me either. .

Garfinkel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 12:46 PM
Unpredictable1

I'd be all about bringing him back. Definitely.

I must be of a select few that recognized the fact he was a talented young player completely overwhelmed by his first playoff appearance against a Cup final favourite - like several star players before him in the same situation. You could clearly see the verves getting the best of him on almost every shift. He learned from that.

2.5-3 ish mil? I'll fly him over myself.

Unpredictable1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 12:55 PM
haveandare

I probably wouldn't do it. The Zherdev argument reminds me of the Betts argument, we tend to only remember the good times. I don't think he would come back here for anything less than what he asked for in arbitration and I don't think he's worth that much. Let's not forget that nobody in the league thought he was worth that money either, it wasn't just some act of Rangers mismanagement. If the deal involves significantly less money than he asked for in arbitration, I'd consider taking him but I wouldn't put him on the top 6 until he showed some consistent effort. I'd rather have Callahan up there trying every night than Zherdev who has greater skill, floating around half the time. From what I saw of him here, he's the type of guy that needs to know that he doesn't get top minutes until he plays in top form every single shift.

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 12:57 PM
GAGLine
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
What makes you think that he's going to get it now, when he couldn't get it fresh off a 58Pt season?

He was free to sign with anyone once the Rangers walked away from the 3.9 award.

A year away from the NHL isn't going to get teams lining up to give this guy 4 million.

He's probably going to sign a 1 year deal for a low base, post a 65+ point season, cash in and get his 4+ million multi year deal.
Zherdev didn't become UFA until after the Rangers declined the arbitration award. That was in late July or early August. By then teams had already spent their money. No one had the budget/cap space to sign him to anything near the deal he was looking for.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 01:06 PM
ThirdEye

Quote:

Maybe not, but then why would he leave the KHL then?

Honestly, for 3 million I would take him back, and still ONLY because there is going to be slim pickings this offseason. I really liked what he did here for the first half of the season, but by the end I got the impression that Zherdev plays in a world of his own not really caring or responding to what is going on around him.

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 01:08 PM
morffin

Nyet ! Nyet ! Nyet ! Nyet ! Nyet ! Nyet ! Nyet ! Nyet ! Nyet ! Nyet ! Nyet ! Nyet ! Nyet ! Nyet ! Nyet ! Nyet ! Nyet ! Nyet ! Nyet ! Nyet ! Nyet !

Lazy one dimensional player...I would think about it @ 1.5 p/y

morffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 01:15 PM
msv957

I don't know about this signing of Zherdev... He just does not seems like a Torts kind of player... actually, If I am not mistaken, didn't Torts bench him quite a few times? He does have skill so I guess it depends on what Sather (the genious) can sign Zherdev for.

msv957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 01:16 PM
dtrap

Send a message via AIM to dtrap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfinkel1 View Post
Marcel Hossa is out-performing a LOT of players in the KHL. It doesn't make sense to me either. .
He was never a bad hockey player, I just think he is much better off having more space to be creative in the KHL. A lot of people equate goals and points to being a good or bad player.

That being said...is it possible that maybe Marcel has either A) figured it out a little bit or B) was never used correctly in the NHL?

dtrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 01:22 PM
haohmaru
boomshakalaka

Quote:
Think he meant before the hearing.
3.25 and 4.5/season isn't terribly close.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 01:28 PM
allstar3970

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrowne View Post
I'd be all about bringing him back. Definitely.

I must be of a select few that recognized the fact he was a talented young player completely overwhelmed by his first playoff appearance against a Cup final favourite - like several star players before him in the same situation. You could clearly see the verves getting the best of him on almost every shift. He learned from that.

2.5-3 ish mil? I'll fly him over myself.
I'm in the "wouldn't be against bringing him back for the right price" camp, but that justification? no way. He was invisible the last 10-15 games of the regular season as well, can't blame the nerves there.

allstar3970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 01:28 PM
HoosierDaddy

Quote:
Don't know if the die was cast cause if the Rangers had won the case they probably would have not walked away and would have had the player for the 3.25 (or thereabouts) that they were looking to get

Z was awarded 3.9 and the Rangers walked.

1) Signing Kotalik and trading for Lisin were more of the insurance/pressure variety moves that teams make when trying to get a player to sign for favorable terms.

2) Z's play was that should the Rangers walk, he becomes a UFA and can ink with the team of his choosing....not realizing that the rest of the league pretty much feels the same way as the Rangers and no one, NO ONE met his asking price or came close enough to it for Z to stay.

3)mis-calculations on both parts and now he's in the KHL playing what he probably believes is good hockey. I haven't see him play other than a highlight goal that if he tried that here, he would have been knocked on his butt.
You do realize your that no matter how convinced you are with this imagined scenario that it does not make it true, right?

1) go back and check the facts. Z won arbitration August 2, 2009 and Kotalik was signed July 9th, Lisin acquired July 13th. The brASS had already decided they would walk if they lost the arbitration.

2) by the late date of the award other teams had already spent their Cap space. Nice try though.

3) He's actually quite happy and producing VERY well in the KHL.Not only has he tried those moves, but he's scored on them in the NHL as well. I'd like to introduce your to Youtube, if you haven't heard of it.

Last edited by HoosierDaddy: 03-10-2010 at 01:43 PM.
HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 01:31 PM
dtrap

Send a message via AIM to dtrap
Quote:
Signing Kotalik and trading for Lisin were more of the insurance/pressure variety moves that teams make when trying to get a player to sign for favorable terms.
I have to disagree. You don't go sign Kotalik for the contract you wanted to sign Zherdev too as a pressure move. You do it to replace the guy.

dtrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 01:42 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
I'd love it, but there's no way he'd come back to a Tortarella coached team IMO

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 01:44 PM
Poozer

Also your 1st line is unlikely, Zherdev is a RW as well, not a LW.

Poozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 01:47 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Depending on the price, I'd consider it. Even with all of his laziness, he's still a guy that can put up 55 points playing on the 2nd line. Proven to have some chemistry with Dubinsky. Adds a right handed shot to the PP.

Flip side, he's kind of a mercurial individual. Not sure if I want him paling around with our younger guys like Anisimov or Grachev. I guess it kind of depends on whether or not he comes back with some humility, or if he's the same player he was when he left. He isn't exactly tearing up the KHL, and he was left off the Olympic roster, so one would hope he's a little more humble.

Regardless, I think that bridge has been burned. Don't see Tortorella welcoming him back either.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 01:48 PM
HoosierDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
3.25 and 4.5/season isn't terribly close.
Yes, but $3.25 and $3.9 is. When you negotiate you ask for more than you expect so you have chips to give back to arrive at the mutually agreeable number. Approx $700k split 50/50 is not so bad. Plus it was a one year contract. No reason not to sign him, imo.

HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 01:53 PM
Vito Andolini

I'd only take him back if it is assured that we won't make the playoffs. I don't want to see little Nikky getting overwhelmed again like that.

Seriously...what part of Zherdev's game makes anyone think he'll find success under Tortorella?

He's a floater of the worst calibre. There's no way he goes 2 games without a goal and doesn't find himself a nice seat on the bench.

Vito Andolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 02:01 PM
shoothepuck

For the right price anyones worth a look

shoothepuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 02:18 PM
XLJ

Zherdev would be a lock for 20-25 goals on a team that needs more scoring and playmaking, I would consider it. But I just dont see him and Torts working.

XLJ is offline   Reply With Quote