HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Knee "popped"

Old
03-08-2010, 06:00 PM
stick9

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoreAstronaut View Post
A special kind of "xray" is required for examining soft-tissue damage. I forget the name though - it's been about ten years since I had it. They fill your knee with purple liquid (it swells pretty crazily) and then do their scan. You may end up having this treatment.
They'll likely do an MRI instead.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 06:09 PM
stick9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobgoblin Steve View Post
ok so I came back from the docs office about 4 hours ago and would have told you what she said, but the appt was really early, so I went back to sleep when I came home .

She took three xrays and the xrays came back normal, and the way she explained it to me she said that Xrays dont reveal soft tissue damages, so shes sending me to an orthopedic doctor tm. She said when she moved my knee it was making a "not normal" sound. Thats pretty much all she was able to tell me because she then said she really isnt an expert on knees which is why I'm being sent to another office.

till tm I guess :/
Steve, bit of advice if I may. See the ortho doc for sure, but see if you can find someone who specializes in sports medicine. The guy who did my ACL does knees and shoulders only, team doctor blah blah blah. I was back on skates two months after surgery and back playing 2.5 months later. It's not just the surgery or the procedure, it's how they target your rehab.

And last but not least, don't be afraid to seek a second opinion. The first surgeon I saw had me so bummed I seriously contemplated not having it fixed.

Old
03-09-2010, 03:42 PM
Hobgoblin Steve
Bacon of Light

ok so it turns out that the docs office from yesterday sent me to a doctor who doesnt work at this office anymore, is a pain management doctor- not an orthopedic, and now I dont have an appointment anywhere, and my parents are searching high and low for a doc thats in our network.

****ing sucks.

Hobgoblin Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2010, 06:53 PM
stick9

I wouldn't worry too much. It's not uncommon to have you to wait a few days for the swelling to go down before doing an exam.

Hang in there man. When it comes to knee injuries patience is a virtue.

Old
03-09-2010, 07:09 PM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
I'm also curious about this.

I got bodychecked to the ice without wearing knee pads a few days ago and my knee started swelling. Didn't hear a pop or anything, no bruise either, just swelling. I can put weight on it but I had a bit of a limp during the weekend till yesterday. Got X-rays and there was no damage apparently, doctor says it's a sprain.. The swelling is on the top of the knee cap. It kind of sucks because I was doing a program to improve my skating and it was going amazing. I also gained 10 pounds of muscle in the last few months and my lower body strength sky rocketed.

The swelling seems to be going down today, I'm mostly wondering when I can go back to training my legs again. I'm thinking as soon as the swelling goes I'm back at it, even if slowly.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2010, 09:13 PM
TBLfan

Send a message via AIM to TBLfan
Quote:
ok so it turns out that the docs office from yesterday sent me to a doctor who doesnt work at this office anymore, is a pain management doctor- not an orthopedic, and now I dont have an appointment anywhere, and my parents are searching high and low for a doc thats in our network.

****ing sucks.
I don't think it's bad, the crunchy sound isn't the bad thing(although, it's not a good thing)... Looseness of the joint is the big deal and they can feel it by holding your calf and moving the joint around.

From the symptoms I still think it's a bruised and swollen meniscus, possibly some arthritis mixed in.

TBLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2010, 09:56 PM
Hobgoblin Steve
Bacon of Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBLfan View Post
I don't think it's bad, the crunchy sound isn't the bad thing(although, it's not a good thing)... Looseness of the joint is the big deal and they can feel it by holding your calf and moving the joint around.

From the symptoms I still think it's a bruised and swollen meniscus, possibly some arthritis mixed in.
Well really the worst thing was the pop, Im still nervous about it. And not knowing is the worst thing, so I (for the first time) cant wait to see the doc

Old
03-09-2010, 10:13 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Well really the worst thing was the pop, Im still nervous about it. And not knowing is the worst thing, so I (for the first time) cant wait to see the doc
Good luck with it in any case. I had a good scare last summer with a torn bicep tendon which really sucked.

Injuries suck and I genuinely wish you to get this out of the way for yourself as quickly as possible.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 11:05 AM
chrisg19

I have torn both ACL's, and both Meniscus at different points in mylife, and each injury is different. I can tell you with the right ACL I heard a loud pop, knee swelled instantly, severe pain, 10 minutes later, no pain. With the left one, I did not hear it pop, and it really didn't hurt or swell, felt kinda like a sprain, but MRI revealed it was fully torn. So basically you never know, an MRI is the only way to know for sure. Push your ortho for an MRI, I had 2 different Dr.s do draw tests on my right leg, and say there was nothing wrong. Thrid doc also felt there was no tear by draw testing, but ordered MRI based on continuing instability.

Now as a pure guess with what you stated happened I will guess that you hyperextended it, and tore your meniscus. That is a simple surgey, and you can be back to playing in a few short weeks.

Good Luck.

chrisg19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 11:27 AM
Hobgoblin Steve
Bacon of Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisg19 View Post
I have torn both ACL's, and both Meniscus at different points in mylife, and each injury is different. I can tell you with the right ACL I heard a loud pop, knee swelled instantly, severe pain, 10 minutes later, no pain. With the left one, I did not hear it pop, and it really didn't hurt or swell, felt kinda like a sprain, but MRI revealed it was fully torn. So basically you never know, an MRI is the only way to know for sure. Push your ortho for an MRI, I had 2 different Dr.s do draw tests on my right leg, and say there was nothing wrong. Thrid doc also felt there was no tear by draw testing, but ordered MRI based on continuing instability.

Now as a pure guess with what you stated happened I will guess that you hyperextended it, and tore your meniscus. That is a simple surgey, and you can be back to playing in a few short weeks.

Good Luck.

Thats what I'm praying for. IThis morning I woke up to it being really sore, but I did try and sleep on my side, because I really cant do it on my back (thats what she said?)

Still cant walk without the cane though, so we'll see. I have a docs appointment at 2:15 EST, so ill keep you all posted

Old
03-10-2010, 01:55 PM
TBLfan

Quote:
The pop was likely the patella slipping out and popping back in the pocket. Which would be a partial dislocation of the knee.

Old
03-10-2010, 02:06 PM
Hobgoblin Steve
Bacon of Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBLfan View Post
The pop was likely the patella slipping out and popping back in the pocket. Which would be a partial dislocation of the knee.
Back from the docs office, after another xray, he says that it would be a torn Meniscus, but the way he explained it to me was this:
He says that there are two ligaments, one on either side of the knee. He then goes on to say that the Meniscus is in the middle of the two. He says that if one of the two ligaments are torn, I wont need surgery and that they will heal on their own. If the Meniscus is torn, it will require surgery. Until my insurance approves the MRI I'm stuck at home, so once they do approve it, ill let you all know what happens.

Old
03-10-2010, 02:23 PM
TBLfan

Quote:
Back from the docs office, after another xray, he says that it would be a torn Meniscus, but the way he explained it to me was this:
He says that there are two ligaments, one on either side of the knee. He then goes on to say that the Meniscus is in the middle of the two. He says that if one of the two ligaments are torn, I wont need surgery and that they will heal on their own. If the Meniscus is torn, it will require surgery. Until my insurance approves the MRI I'm stuck at home, so once they do approve it, ill let you all know what happens.
I hope for the best.

I'm in the middle of rehabbing my knee, again... It sucks, I've "needed" surgery for the past 10 years and I'll be damned if I'm going to cave in at a hiccup of an injury compared to injuries past.

Old
03-10-2010, 03:20 PM
chrisg19

Hope there is no Ligament tear, if it's partial, and they want to go conservative, it will heal, but it takes time. Meniscus is easy because they just shave off or take the torn pieces out. Healing time is minimal. Think of the meniscus as the cushioning between your knee, its easy to remove some versus healing time of a ligament. A full tear of either ligament, ACL/MCL would probably require surgery to play hockey competitively.

chrisg19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 03:30 PM
liverpoolfcjr

Quote:
And that sums up American health care...

but in all seriousness i hope your okay, personally i had a pretty painful knee injury (right acade knee injury - particular contusion) in soccer and i was out for 6 weeks and in and out of physio, hopefully its nothing serious.

liverpoolfcjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 05:36 PM
JeffYear92*

I feel your pain,

This has happened to me about 3-4 times while I was playing hockey,

It's such a ****** feeling, I had trouble walking for the next few days,

Lots of Ice and heating pads doing the trick,

Before I get on the ice, 1 Hour before, I put this burning Liquid on the knee cap and the surrounding area. It helps during the game. I also wear a brace and tape the brace,just in case.

My doctor said I needed surgery, but I was fifteen at the time so i opted and just took the rehab. The rehab wasn't to bad and it only took 2-3 weeks after every time the knee cap pops out.

I also stretch a ton before the game in the room and on the ice.

I think the worse case of my knee cap popin' out was when i was on a trip. We still had three days and i could barely move.

It often happens about every 6-7 Months

JeffYear92* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 09:57 PM
Hobgoblin Steve
Bacon of Light

So I thought I'd give an update to the situation:

Today I had my MRI done, (btw, heloooooooo nurse- for real- slammin) and now I've got to make an appointment with my doc to make sense of the films. I took a look at them thinking I'd be able to see whats wrong with my knee, but all I saw was a knee. I looked at them for about a half hour and then found out I have no idea what a torn anything looks like. So thats where we stand.

Old
03-19-2010, 11:54 PM
Gene Parmesan
Ice up, son.

Quote:
So I thought I'd give an update to the situation:

Today I had my MRI done, (btw, heloooooooo nurse- for real- slammin) and now I've got to make an appointment with my doc to make sense of the films. I took a look at them thinking I'd be able to see whats wrong with my knee, but all I saw was a knee. I looked at them for about a half hour and then found out I have no idea what a torn anything looks like. So thats where we stand.
Having your knee pop is the worst sound. I remember when I tore my ACL playing juco football, I know how you feel, I hope you don't share my fate. Good luck.

Gene Parmesan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 07:59 PM
Hobgoblin Steve
Bacon of Light

So I got the results of the MRI back today and:

High grade partial tear of the ACL.

FML.

Old
03-23-2010, 08:40 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
So I got the results of the MRI back today and:

High grade partial tear of the ACL.

FML.
Damn man I'm so sorry

is there anything you can do to minimize the pain while playing and can you even play on it?

Old
03-23-2010, 09:55 PM
Hobgoblin Steve
Bacon of Light

cant play on it for a long time. currently theres no pain unless I straighten out my leg, so in that regard im lucky. :/

Old
03-23-2010, 10:14 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
cant play on it for a long time. currently theres no pain unless I straighten out my leg, so in that regard im lucky. :/
Ouch .... my sympathies. I felt badly enough just being able to public skate when I tore my bicep tendon last summer. I went and spent money on new equipment because I couldn't play, it was some sort of therapy.

I could at least skate .... you cannot and that must be terrible for you, it would kill me.

I hope you get back at some point sooner than you thought. best wishes.

Last edited by Hockeyfan68: 03-24-2010 at 11:01 PM.
Old
03-24-2010, 08:30 AM
ChiTownHawks
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Sorry to hear that man, I am getting some MRI results on Friday for nearly the same injury. Are you going to need surgery? When I hyperextended my knee in college I had a partial tear in the ACL and it did not require surgery. My knee was back to normal in a few months and that was without any physical therapy b/c I was a lazy college kid. I wore a brace for a while after that while playing sports, but I have not had any additional issues until I recently hurt at the beginning of this month.

ChiTownHawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 10:14 AM
stick9

Quote:
Sorry to hear that man. Hey, it could be worse. It could be a complete and tear and require surgery (been there done that, it sucks). I just recent started playing again, 5 months from complete ACL reconstruction. If I can make it back, you can make it back. Gotta stay positive and you gotta work at rehabbing it.

Old
03-24-2010, 11:31 AM
Hobgoblin Steve
Bacon of Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownHawks View Post
Sorry to hear that man, I am getting some MRI results on Friday for nearly the same injury. Are you going to need surgery? When I hyperextended my knee in college I had a partial tear in the ACL and it did not require surgery. My knee was back to normal in a few months and that was without any physical therapy b/c I was a lazy college kid. I wore a brace for a while after that while playing sports, but I have not had any additional issues until I recently hurt at the beginning of this month.
I dont know if it needs surgery or not, I need to make an appointment with an orthopedic today, so I'm hoping I'll be seen Friday/Monday. I'm hoping It wont require surgery, but if it does..well, theres nothing I can really do about it other than tough it out. I'll be playing again, I bought new equipment the day this happened and I'll be damned if it goes to waste. In the meantime I'm trying to get my friend to play, so we're shopping skates at the moment. Head over to the "which skates are best thread" if you can help us out