HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

How would you feel about bringing zherdev back next year?

Old
03-10-2010, 02:38 PM
HoosierDaddy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito Andolini View Post
I'd only take him back if it is assured that we won't make the playoffs. I don't want to see little Nikky getting overwhelmed again like that.

Seriously...what part of Zherdev's game makes anyone think he'll find success under Tortorella?

He's a floater of the worst calibre. There's no way he goes 2 games without a goal and doesn't find himself a nice seat on the bench.
Guess what, We ain't making the playoffs.

I agree that Torturella and Z won't mix. But since the coach will miss the playoffs, where Renney would have, I give a rats Åss what he thinks.

I'd rather a productive floater than and unproductive grinder. Of which we have many, namely Captain Valium.

HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 02:39 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalfdiggity3 View Post
I know we let zherdev go at the end of the year and that he did come back to the rangers to accept the 3.1m dollar salary that sather offered but we already filled it up with higgins and kotaliks salary. I was thinking if we could get him away from atlant in the khl and sign him for 3.1m for a couple of seasons, it could be just the secondary scoring we need. What do you think?

hes still very young, great passer and goal scorer. him and gaborik on the same line would be great both can pass and shoot extremly well.

I think it would be perfect if we can dump redden in hartford, free up 6.5m...and trade rosie for picks at the draft, free up another 5m a year. give us an extra 11.5million for next year, resign prospal 1.5m, jokinen-4m , girardi-1.5m(trade), staal-3m, and zherdev-3m, bring up two of sangs/potter/hekkinen to take over for redden and rosie.. hopefully sign volchenkov

zherdev prospal gabby
Dubie Jokinen Cally
EC Ani Drury
Avery Boyle Prust

Staal Volchenkov
MDZ Potter
Sangs Gilroy
With a defense like that (which will never happen anyway), it doesn't matter which forward you sign.

As for Zherdev: he won't be back as long as Sather is in charge and/or Torts is the coach.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 02:48 PM
Salz

Not going to happen so long as Torts is the coach.

Salz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 02:49 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
I always thought Z had the best puck carrying and passing skills to play with a guy like Gabby.

If he came back cheap, I'd give him a try, though I'd expect the bridges have been burned and Slats would want no part of him, no matter what the price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy View Post
I agree that Torturella and Z won't mix.
Keenan and Kovalev worked out well. I even remember Kovalev saying he like playing for Keenan because he was demanding like a Russian coach. Or so it was reported by Sam & JD at the time.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 02:58 PM
bumrusherer

A young player who would immediately be our 2nd best forward if he re-joined the team.

Heck yeah I would like him back but I doubt it would happen.

bumrusherer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 03:27 PM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

Yes, I'd sign him for the $3.25 million that Sather originally offered. Seemed like a fair offer at the time. Still does.

klingsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 03:32 PM
Jersey Girl

Overpaid...under-achieving..OF COURSE WE'LL TAKE HIM BACK.

He'll fit right in here...

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 03:38 PM
TheHotRock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
Overpaid...under-achieving..OF COURSE WE'LL TAKE HIM BACK.

He'll fit right in here...
ummm he made 3ish mil and put up just under 60 points. how is that overpaid?

TheHotRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 03:41 PM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHotRock View Post
ummm he made 3ish mil and put up just under 60 points. how is that overpaid?
...and wasn't he wonderful in the playoffs?

Overpaid. Under-achieving. Bring him back, that's what you get.

Old
03-10-2010, 03:41 PM
OrbitalDynamics
Ants? Solid Plan.

vCash: 50
Sure bring him back and the first time Torts gets in his face he'll start pouting and dragging his rear end around.

Can we stop with the obsessing over departed players?

OrbitalDynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 03:49 PM
Vito Andolini

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalDynamics View Post
Sure bring him back and the first time Torts gets in his face he'll start pouting and dragging his rear end around.

Can we stop with the obsessing over departed players?
Nope. It's in this team's DNA to hang on to past glories for dear life...regardless of how glorious they actually were.

Vito Andolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 03:51 PM
OrbitalDynamics
Ants? Solid Plan.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito Andolini View Post
Nope. It's in this team's DNA to hang on to past glories for dear life...regardless of how glorious they actually were.
Look how much mileage they've wrung out of 1994...

OrbitalDynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 03:56 PM
lbrowne

Quote:
Originally Posted by allstar3970 View Post
I'm in the "wouldn't be against bringing him back for the right price" camp, but that justification? no way. He was invisible the last 10-15 games of the regular season as well, can't blame the nerves there.
I wouldn't say he was invisible the last 10-15 games at all. His point production might have fallen off but I don't think he was useless.

lbrowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 04:00 PM
HockeyStickHomicide
Registered Abuser

Columbus knew it, and now we all know it. When he wants to play, he plays. That simple.

Theres nothing that motivates him. As much as I love him on the ice as much as I hate him.

Hes a nhl burnout. Leave him be in the KHL. We dont need another ****** contract.

HockeyStickHomicide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 04:01 PM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrowne View Post
I wouldn't say he was invisible the last 10-15 games at all. His point production might have fallen off but I don't think he was useless.
He was invisible. When the going got tough, Zherdev steered clear of problem areas like the corners or the front of the net.

Yes, let's go back to that again.

Old
03-10-2010, 04:06 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Forget Zherdev already can we please move on?

We need character players who play for the logo on the jersey and not players who play for a new contract.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 04:43 PM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

We're all talking about the same guy that got 1 point in his last 13 games (regular season) and looked completely lost in the playoffs, right? No doubt that he's very talented, but let there be no doubt that he disappeared as soon as the going got rough.

And some of you want him back?

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 04:48 PM
free0717

No Heart, No Heart, No Heart. Id rather play Voros. Please go back and look at the Washington Series. Move on.

free0717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 04:49 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
I think we can find another gamble with better payoff odds than Zherdev, pass.

Like others have said I see no reason why he would take a lower contract at this point.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 04:59 PM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

Nik's development was all messed up: you take an 18-year-old kid from a big city in Ukraine who lived/played in Moscow, speaks no English whatsoever, and anoint him the savior of your franchise which is one of the smallest markets in the NHL and one of the strangest to play in for an Eastern European kid.

You throw him in the NHL right away, then when he's not Pavel Bure the GM starts trashing him, then a few years later Ken Hitchcock trashes him, all before he's barely 22.

Then they expect him to stay on pace with Ovechkin in this first ever Stanley Cup playoffs.....

he's a very talented player and while he can be lazy, I think he's just misunderstood and got bullied. He was having fun with Dubi and Voros the first half of last year and he even had a few fights and made that gorgeous backchecking play against the Pens. I would love for him to come back to NY but the truth is the organization has turned the page and Torts would never welcome him back unless Zherdev called him up and came back with his tail in between his legs.

It's a shame because he's still so young, and no one else including the Russian Olympic team waned him. I wish him luck wherever he plays.

White Plains Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 05:07 PM
x BEUKEBOOM x
Buuuuuuuuuuuk !

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Plains Batman View Post
Nik's development was all messed up: you take an 18-year-old kid from a big city in Ukraine who lived/played in Moscow, speaks no English whatsoever, and anoint him the savior of your franchise which is one of the smallest markets in the NHL and one of the strangest to play in for an Eastern European kid.

You throw him in the NHL right away, then when he's not Pavel Bure the GM starts trashing him, then a few years later Ken Hitchcock trashes him, all before he's barely 22.

Then they expect him to stay on pace with Ovechkin in this first ever Stanley Cup playoffs.....

he's a very talented player and while he can be lazy, I think he's just misunderstood and got bullied. He was having fun with Dubi and Voros the first half of last year and he even had a few fights and made that gorgeous backchecking play against the Pens. I would love for him to come back to NY but the truth is the organization has turned the page and Torts would never welcome him back unless Zherdev called him up and came back with his tail in between his legs.

It's a shame because he's still so young, and no one else including the Russian Olympic team waned him. I wish him luck wherever he plays.

You sir, are an enabler.

x BEUKEBOOM x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 05:09 PM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

Yeah cue the Curtis Mayfield, I'm Zherdev's Pusherman.....

White Plains Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 05:11 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

I'd be 100% for this if he didn't have the same amount of points in the KHL this season as Pavel Brendl.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 05:15 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Sheesh. I thought people would have quit with the finger pointing right now. Hold a grudge much?

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 06:00 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Assuming Slats is still here, the only way it happens is if Zherdev fires his agent and blames it on him. If that were to happen, I would be thrilled.

I love how everyone has retroactive blinders on as regards Zherdev. To be clear:

1) He was the team's leading scorer for the vast majority of the season and was on pace for 65-70 points before his famous year-end slump. Yet, he was villified more than almost any other forward on the team. Ridiculous. Typical example of Rangers fans' constant focus on the last game.

2) He was invisible in the playoffs. Again, why does he get publicly burned at the stake while others take a seeming free pass? You know what, I agree he did disappear - he failed to show up in his first ever playoffs. Meanwhile almost every other forward (most of them in at LEAST their second playoff campaign, mind you) failed to show up too. So why exactly are we picking on Nik out of about 10 possible scapegoats?"

3) On that PO disappearance - I distinctly remember him whiffing on 3 or 4 goalmouth opportunities. On the face of it, I imagine several of you will say that proves how worthless he was. I beg to disagree - it shows that he was STILL getting to great scoring position and was still making plays, but was gripping his stick too tight in what was, as I mentioned above, his first PO series. That to me is a player who you want to work with and help grow, not one you throw away.

4) The reinventing of the offseason salary dispute/arbitration hearing/UFA period needs to stop. The Rangers had spent his money prior to the hearing. Others have already pointed out that the idea that he was spurned by other teams is patently false - there were precious few UFA dollars left by the time the Rangers walked away from him. However, I want to point out another fact that gets conveniently overlooked: when the Rangers offered him $3.25MM and he came back, he and his agent were on record saying they wanted to negotiate. They viewed it, as most players do (Dubi was another example on the same team in the same offseason), as the start of a negotiating process. However, the Rangers chose to draw a line in the sand at their initial offer and then actually lower it during the arbitration process. Had Glen (whom everyone loves to castigate for all his other UFA maneuvers and yet somehow feel was completely justified in this petty, atypical move) simply engaged and raised his offer a couple of hundred thou, we might actually have a legit secondary scoring threat and be legitimately in the playoffs right now.

I just don't understand the hate. I really don't.

Last edited by BrooklynRangersFan: 03-10-2010 at 06:08 PM.
BrooklynRangersFan is online now   Reply With Quote