HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

CBJ Board Other Sports Thread: Part V

Closed Thread

Old
03-10-2010, 08:09 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
Without Hejduk and Schelotto, down 2-0 at the half, the Crew came back in the second half to draw Mexican League champion Toluca 2-2 at Crew Stadium tonight. Lenhart buried both of 'em. So refreshing to root for a Columbus team that OVERacheives!
I think you'll enjoy Arace's take on the game, lee:

http://blog.dispatch.com/marace_nhl/

Old
03-10-2010, 03:00 PM
Skraut

Just in case anybody was still harboring any illusions that there was parity in baseball.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...ent/index.html
Quote:
When baseball commissioner Bud Selig named a 14-person "special committee for on-field matters" four months ago, he promised that all topics would be in play and "there are no sacred cows." The committee already has made good on Selig's promise by discussing a radical form of "floating" realignment in which teams would not be fixed to a division, but free to change divisions from year-to-year based on geography, payroll and their plans to contend or not.

One example of floating realignment, according to one insider, would work this way: Cleveland, which is rebuilding with a reduced payroll, could opt to leave the AL Central to play in the AL East. The Indians would benefit from an unbalanced schedule that would give them a total of 18 lucrative home dates against the Yankees and Red Sox instead of their current eight. A small or mid-market contender, such as Tampa Bay or Baltimore, could move to the AL Central to get a better crack at postseason play instead of continually fighting against the mega-payrolls of New York and Boston.

Old
03-10-2010, 03:20 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
Just in case anybody was still harboring any illusions that there was parity in baseball.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...ent/index.html
I heard about this on the radio this morning. That may be the most stupid and small-minded thing I've ever heard of as regards operating a sports league. Yes, this includes the BCS and the chases at the end of the PGA and NASCAR seasons. And NHL expansion to places like Columbus.

In other words, here Tampa, we know you can't compete with the teams in your division, but we'll swap you out with a team that we've predetermined is going to suck to give you a fairer shot.

MLB sucks. I've heard the talking heads in recent days talking in no uncertain terms about players like Adrian Gonzalez and Carl Crawford being traded. As if it's a foregone conclusion. And guess what, it most likely is.

Old
03-10-2010, 03:26 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
That may be the most stupid and small-minded thing I've ever heard of as regards operating a sports league.
Bud Selig makes Gary Bettman look like Pete Rozelle.

Old
03-10-2010, 04:01 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
I heard about this on the radio this morning. That may be the most stupid and small-minded thing I've ever heard of as regards operating a sports league. Yes, this includes the BCS and the chases at the end of the PGA and NASCAR seasons. And NHL expansion to places like Columbus.

In other words, here Tampa, we know you can't compete with the teams in your division, but we'll swap you out with a team that we've predetermined is going to suck to give you a fairer shot.

MLB sucks. I've heard the talking heads in recent days talking in no uncertain terms about players like Adrian Gonzalez and Carl Crawford being traded. As if it's a foregone conclusion. And guess what, it most likely is.
And yet there's people who'll passionately argue that the salary cap is horrible and that the NHL needs to use a system like the MLB's.

...then again, there's also people out there who think Scientology makes sense, so, yeah.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Old
03-10-2010, 04:08 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
I don't know why everyone tries to fix baseball, it's perfect the way it is. I love it as much as hockey.

Old
03-10-2010, 04:41 PM
forktie

has anyone seen this? Is this real?!?

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4016/...f8f46382_o.png

Old
03-10-2010, 05:02 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Quote:
Originally Posted by forktie View Post
has anyone seen this? Is this real?!?

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4016/...f8f46382_o.png
Yep; it's being chatted about in other threads here.

Old
03-10-2010, 05:03 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Winter View Post
I don't know why everyone tries to fix baseball, it's perfect the way it is. I love it as much as hockey.
Yeah, okay, hon, no offense or anything but I'm never again trusting any evaluations of anything you ever make ever again. Ever.

And on a related note, please don't say chocolate sucks, because then you'll break my brain.

Old
03-10-2010, 05:17 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
Yeah, okay, hon, no offense or anything but I'm never again trusting any evaluations of anything you ever make ever again. Ever.

And on a related note, please don't say chocolate sucks, because then you'll break my brain.
You know I'm not the only person who feels that way about baseball right?

I understand why people would want to change things, but that doesn't stop me from watching and enjoying it. I understand why people wouldn't like it, but that doesn't change anything for me

Old
03-10-2010, 05:41 PM
Hugg

I root for the Florida Marlins and I love baseball the way it is. I take great joy in the fact that we've put a winning team on the field for 5 years while spending less money combined than the Yankees do in one season.

We finished right in the middle of MLB in record over the last decade and won a championship and we did it while spending less money than any other team in baseball. It's outstanding.

And now we're about to get a stadium and get to have a middle of the league payroll while having a front office that routinely puts a winning team on the field while spending the least amount of money.

Teams that fail to compete do so because they are run poorly. Not because they have no money.

If you look at the small market teams, the ones that lose almost always do because they sign players to stupid contracts that ruin their payroll structure when said player doesn't deliver. So, basically, they're failing because of the money they're spending, not the money they're not. Say whatever you will about Florida, but they ONLY pay for performance and that's why they've consistently competed in their situation for almost all of Loria's tenure.

Last edited by Hugg: 03-10-2010 at 05:46 PM.
Old
03-10-2010, 06:30 PM
cpmCBJ

Quote:

I understand why people would want to change things, but that doesn't stop me from watching and enjoying it. I understand why people wouldn't like it, but that doesn't change anything for me
Right on.

Old
03-10-2010, 06:54 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Young Guns

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Quote:

You people are starting to die off at a real quick rate though. I hate Bill Simmons, but he brought up a really good point: What percentage of commercials during MLB Telecasts are for ED Drugs/Hair Transplants/Other old man crap? It's pretty high.

You know, next to reigning in the big spenders like the Yankees and Rex Sox (AKA: The only reason that about a frighteningly large chunk of people pay attention to baseball.) this isn't a bad idea. But it doesn't change the fact that Baseball is long overdue for some sort of revenue/labor sharing.

Baseball isn't going to become irrelevant anytime soon, but something has to be done.

03-10-2010, 07:06 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

They have a luxury tax, the big spenders are giving money (and alot of it) to the teams that don't spend. Heck, the Yankees are practically paying the Marlins entire roster.

Old
03-10-2010, 07:11 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Young Guns

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Quote:
They have a luxury tax, the big spenders are giving money (and alot of it) to the teams that don't spend. Heck, the Yankees are practically paying the Marlins entire roster.
Piss-Poor wording in my first post. What I was trying to say is that they need one that isn't a total joke.

The MLBPA almost filed a grievance against the Marlins because they didn't spend enough.

A luxury tax is just lip service. You can argue that it's made things worse by creating a perpetual class of "Welfare Queens."

Old
03-11-2010, 07:51 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

I'm a baseball fan (and a crappy old guy, too), but the game needs one big change to level the field: shared revenue from home TV contracts. That's the biggest advantage teams like NY and Boston have and it unbalances the entire system. Sure, they have the biggest markets and deserve a large share of it, but there would not be that kind of market if they just played each other or played inter-squad scrimmages - they require completion from outside, and those teams deserve part of the proceeds of their participation. Split all TV revenue in a fair manner (not necessarily 50/50, but not 100/0, either) and the game becomes a much more even competitive climate. Boston and New York won't like it, but tell them to go play by themselves if they won't share.

Old
03-11-2010, 09:17 AM
Ar-too

vCash: 400
Send a message via AIM to Ar-too
Good for Derek Anderson.

Old
03-11-2010, 12:38 PM
cpmCBJ

How fair is the unbalanced schedule? -Beyond the Box Score

Old
03-11-2010, 12:58 PM
Feicht

Send a message via AIM to Feicht
Yeah I think the biggest problem isn't the schedule, but the fact that there is no salary cap. Teams like the Pirates for instance will never ever be able to compete in the same realm as teams like the Yankees and Red Sox with essentially unlimited funds.

Old
03-11-2010, 01:05 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feicht View Post
Yeah I think the biggest problem isn't the schedule, but the fact that there is no salary cap. Teams like the Pirates for instance will never ever be able to compete in the same realm as teams like the Yankees and Red Sox with essentially unlimited funds.
Not to start another ****storm here, but the Pirates are bad for this main reason; they can't draft. They pass up good players because they demand too much money so they draft a kid who will take less money and draft him 20 spots too early.

For example, they've passed up the likes of Tim Lincecum and Matt Wieters just to save money. If they draft both, and pony up the couple million to sign them, they'd have them under team control for at least 6 years, and they'd be alot more competitive. It's their ownership being cheap and bad drafting that makes them suck. The Rays are good because they draft well.

Last couple drafts they finally started spending more, they signed Pedro Alvarez who alot of people thought they'd pass up because of his demands, and they're spending more on international free agents. Under Neal Huntington (who came from the Indians), things are finally starting to look better for the Buccos.

Old
03-11-2010, 01:18 PM
Skraut

Quote:
Not to start another ****storm here, but the Pirates are bad for this main reason; they can't draft. They pass up good players because they demand too much money so they draft a kid who will take less money and draft him 20 spots too early.

For example, they've passed up the likes of Tim Lincecum and Matt Wieters just to save money. If they draft both, and pony up the couple million to sign them, they'd have them under team control for at least 6 years, and they'd be alot more competitive. It's their ownership being cheap and bad drafting that makes them suck. The Rays are good because they draft well.

Last couple drafts they finally started spending more, they signed Pedro Alvarez who alot of people thought they'd pass up because of his demands, and they're spending more on international free agents. Under Neal Huntington (who came from the Indians), things are finally starting to look better for the Buccos.
Of course the Pirates are going to be cost conscious. They're payroll is $50 million, and have to compete against teams spending $180 million.

Is the extra $5m, $10m, or even $25m going to make that much of a difference? They're still less that HALF of other teams.

When you can't play with the big boys it doesn't make sense to throw more money away just for ***** and grins.

Old
03-11-2010, 01:23 PM
Feicht

Send a message via AIM to Feicht
That's my point exactly, Skraut. I mean, I'm not a huge baseball fan these days, but honestly, the lack of cap is one of the main reasons why. Sure the Tribe can once in a blue moon assemble the requisite pieces to go on a nice run, but within a couple years, the team which does so has to be completely disassembled for cost concerns. They can't afford to keep C.C. "The money doesn't matter to me" Sabathia because he's just going to bolt to NY for the money, and they trade him for a couple of prospects.

Sure teams make faulty personnel decisions ala the Pirates (who I just used as an obvious example), but if I'm a cheapskate team owner, I've got to wonder if it is even worth it to try and develop any talent when they're just going to sign with the Yankees or Red Sox at the nearest chance they get.

Old
03-11-2010, 01:24 PM
Skraut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feicht View Post
but if I'm a cheapskate team owner, I've got to wonder if it is even worth it to try and develop any talent when they're just going to sign with the Yankees or Red Sox at the nearest chance they get.
This right there is the main problem with Baseball. Everybody else is just a farm team for the big 2.

Old
03-11-2010, 02:50 PM
Happy Pony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
Of course the Pirates are going to be cost conscious. They're payroll is $50 million, and have to compete against teams spending $180 million.

Is the extra $5m, $10m, or even $25m going to make that much of a difference? They're still less that HALF of other teams.

When you can't play with the big boys it doesn't make sense to throw more money away just for ***** and grins.
$50 million?

At the end of last season the Pirates payroll was under $20 million.

Old
03-11-2010, 02:52 PM
Happy Pony

Quote:

The Pirates were the second highest spending team at each of the last two drafts and were the highest spending team when combining the money spent over the past two drafts.

Closed Thread