HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Advice on Shoulder Pain

Old
03-01-2010, 11:23 PM
CSampson

vCash: 500
Advice on Shoulder Pain

Hey guys,

Couple weeks ago I got tripped while following through on a slap shot, so I fell forward and basically landed right on my shoulder as the hard padding moved out of the way. I was in a lot of pain and didn't play the rest of the game because I could barely move my arm. I am certain that the shoulder didn't pop out though. I applied ice right away and the following day i did a regiment of heat therapy.

That was two weeks ago. Now, I have all my arm motion again and it doesn't hurt for the most part. When I move it a certain way however, like hold it out directly in front of me, I get sharp pains in my shoulder. Also, since I work out, I know that I can't do any weight training using my shoulder, so I basically still can't support any weight on it.

I'm scheduling an appt with my doc tomorrow, but I was wondering if anyone here has had any experience on the subject and maybe could shed some light on what I might be experiencing?

CSampson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 12:13 AM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSampson View Post
Hey guys,

Couple weeks ago I got tripped while following through on a slap shot, so I fell forward and basically landed right on my shoulder as the hard padding moved out of the way. I was in a lot of pain and didn't play the rest of the game because I could barely move my arm. I am certain that the shoulder didn't pop out though. I applied ice right away and the following day i did a regiment of heat therapy.

That was two weeks ago. Now, I have all my arm motion again and it doesn't hurt for the most part. When I move it a certain way however, like hold it out directly in front of me, I get sharp pains in my shoulder. Also, since I work out, I know that I can't do any weight training using my shoulder, so I basically still can't support any weight on it.

I'm scheduling an appt with my doc tomorrow, but I was wondering if anyone here has had any experience on the subject and maybe could shed some light on what I might be experiencing?

Shoulders are very funny touchy things and sometimes hurt a lot and there is no damage.

I am no expert on this subject and can only talk about my shoulder last spring after hitting baseballs. My shoulder started to hurt after chasing bad pitches because my brother can't pitch to save his life.

Anyhew I felt a definite twinge in my shoulder with pain and decideed to stop swinging the bat to prevent injury.

Now a couple of weeks went by and it still hurt and i wondered if I had ripped something or whatever. Torn rotator maybe? Who knew ... I just said screw it and took the summer off from hitting baseballs.

It did not bother me playing hockey so the hell with it I said.
later in the Fall I went and hit some balls and my shoulder would click in that same spot I had previously felt pain.

Why do I mention all of this? because I feel like I did nothing to it now and it is as good as new.

You may not even have an injury that needs care or you may .... shoulders are funny that way I am sure a doctor can answer your specific issues upon examination.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 10:43 AM
CSampson

Wow man seems identical to what I have...thanks for the response!

Old
03-02-2010, 12:25 PM
The mitchrock
Hunk of Monkey Love

Rub some Tiger Balm on it. Try stetching exercises. Drink more beer.

The mitchrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 12:29 PM
CanadaBacon

Go to a doctor, i wouldnt put to much value in medical advice you get here

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 01:07 PM
JRZ DVLS
Try Brubag*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaBacon View Post
Go to a doctor, i wouldnt put to much value in medical advice you get here
Yep...

but like te others have said, Shoulders are odd. I will occasionally get sharp pains, but it is likely something being pinched, unless i know i did something to screw it up.

JRZ DVLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 03:04 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Wow man seems identical to what I have...thanks for the response!
If it is bothering you enough to see a docotor then do so. The last thing you want to do is have something similar happen again and you really tear something.

NEVER REPLACE SEEING A DOCTOR WITH ADVICE IN HERE.

More often than not though a shoulder gets inflamed and needs time to heal. Honestly a shoulder joint and muscles are probably one of the weakest in the body besides the wrist. It does not take much abnormal torque to feel pain.

It has a good range of motion except for certain directions which have a very limited range of motion exampled by raising your hands while clenched together over your head and trying to bring your arms behind your body. You get immediate pain and I think you hyperextended the joint sightly when you fell on the outside part of the shoulder.

You do have part of your shoulder blade where it connects to the shoulder there as well and it may be possible that you fractured that with a hairline. You would know better than I would as you are feeling what it feels like.

You can tell a muscle and ligament pain from a fracture by how it hurts. A bone will ache constantly and a muscle hurts when you use it obviously.

Old
03-02-2010, 03:13 PM
jsykes

See a doctor to be sure, but as has been said, it could be nothing as well.

I hit someone almost two months ago and really hurt my shoulder. Like you, could hardly move it, had intense pain and saw a doctor. All was in place and she said all was ok, just give it rest.

Now, two months later, I have about full range of motion, I can function, for the most part, without pain, but every now and then, put it into a position where I still get decent amounts of pain. It clunks a bit on movement, and I cannot lay on my right side (right shoulder) without serious pain.

But it is healing and there isnt anything major wrong. It just hurts and needs time to heal the ligaments, muscles, tendons or whatever else was tweaked there.

See a doctor and hopefully it will be nothing.

jsykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 03:19 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsykes View Post
See a doctor to be sure, but as has been said, it could be nothing as well.

I hit someone almost two months ago and really hurt my shoulder. Like you, could hardly move it, had intense pain and saw a doctor. All was in place and she said all was ok, just give it rest.

Now, two months later, I have about full range of motion, I can function, for the most part, without pain, but every now and then, put it into a position where I still get decent amounts of pain. It clunks a bit on movement, and I cannot lay on my right side (right shoulder) without serious pain.

But it is healing and there isnt anything major wrong. It just hurts and needs time to heal the ligaments, muscles, tendons or whatever else was tweaked there.

See a doctor and hopefully it will be nothing.
Yeah that is the kind of stuff everyone is talking about right here. Shoulders feel pain easily for sure.

Nice to see yours is getting better. My clicking went away almost a year after the initial strain or whatever it was.

Old
03-02-2010, 03:38 PM
JRZ DVLS
Try Brubag*****

Take Two of these, and call me int he morning...

Obviously check your Doc, but if you work out, you know how many muscles are impacted, or are part of the shoulder, not only that, the rehab sux......
If you have ever broken/Popped your shoulder, you know it is one of the toughest body parts to miss, and one that you should keep an eye on if you have an injury to. I broke my clavicle, and it sucked...Still have crap wrong with it....

JRZ DVLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 05:06 PM
Webernaut

Webernaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2010, 07:00 PM
CSampson

Saw a doc, got xrays today and got some inflammation meds. Just updating for those in the future that search this thread.

Old
03-05-2010, 07:10 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Saw a doc, got xrays today and got some inflammation meds. Just updating for those in the future that search this thread.
Did he suggest what it was? A slight strain? tear?

Themz meds'll help by the way.

Old
03-10-2010, 04:27 PM
CSampson

So turns out I'm dealing with a minor shoulder separation of my AC joint.

http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/shou...separation.htm

It's not too severe, most I'm looking at is physiotherapy at this point.

Quote:
A shoulder separation is almost always the result of a sudden, traumatic event that can be attributed to a specific incident or action. The two most common descriptions of a shoulder separation are either a direct blow to the shoulder (often seen in football, rugby, or hockey), or a fall on to an outstretched hand (commonly seen after falling off a bicycle or horse).
Will know more Friday when I see my doctor again.

Old
03-10-2010, 04:56 PM
Vader76

I had the same thing while making a desperation save. It'll just take time to heal. I also had acupuncture and ultrasound done on the area which helped.

Vader76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 11:06 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
So turns out I'm dealing with a minor shoulder separation of my AC joint.

http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/shou...separation.htm

It's not too severe, most I'm looking at is physiotherapy at this point.

Will know more Friday when I see my doctor again.
Hey how about that ... you know what it is now and that it is minor. Looks good for you me thinks