HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: League proposes rule on blows to head (Update: This season?)

Old
03-10-2010, 02:08 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 500
Awards:
OT: League proposes rule on blows to head (Update: This season?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESPN
The GMs will forward the following recommendation to the competition committee: "A lateral, back pressure or blindside hit to an opponent where the head is targeted and/or the principal point of -- is not permitted." Such a violation would result in a minor or major penalty and be reviewed for possibly further discipline.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=4982270

I'm glad that the league is finally going to have some language on this. It will be nice to have actual language prohibiting shots directly to the head...tired of hearing, "Yes, it was vicious, but it was a legal hit," when some player is blindsided by a shoulder to the head.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 02:14 PM
Nick00

The one area that I'm not really sure about is height difference though.
If a 6"4 guy throws his shoulder into a 5"9 player, won't that almost automatically be a head shot regardless of intention?

Nick00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 02:17 PM
beastly115

So according to that language, Richards and Cooke would have been suspended.

It's about time the league got their heads out of their *****. I'm sick of these technically "legal" (yet dirty) hits targeting players heads. It's not right.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 02:20 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick00 View Post
If a 6"4 guy throws his shoulder into a 5"9 player, won't that almost automatically be a head shot regardless of intention?
If it's not from behind or an instance where the player is defenseless, then it won't make a difference.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 03:30 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
If the hit isn't from behind or from the side, it won't make a difference. Like Ovechkin's hit on Jagr would have been fine since it was head-on.

And even if it did place an unfair burden on the big guys that go up against the mighty mites, then that's fine by me. I'd rather have that than the status quo, where guys are going headhunting seemingly for fun.

The rule isn't perfect, and it doesn't address the underlying probelm-a lack of respect for the fellow player-but it's a definite step in the right direction. And an urgently needed step at that.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old
03-10-2010, 04:48 PM
Nick00

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post

And even if it did place an unfair burden on the big guys that go up against the mighty mites, then that's fine by me. I'd rather have that than the status quo, where guys are going headhunting seemingly for fun.
I agree. There's really no reason that a big guy should be lining up a much smaller player like that anyway, unless they're trying to hurt him.

Old
03-10-2010, 05:11 PM
RegalRangers

vCash: 783
In a roundabout way the rule kind of says that you can hit guys in the face but not the rest of the head since they have to see it coming.

RegalRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 05:16 PM
ReverbAndDelay
Old Time Hockey

Listen, we've all seen it happen. incidental contact can produce severe injuries, and thats why any hit that produces an injury of any kind of severity should be reviewed. However I really don't think this goes far enough.

Do you want to see Knee on Knee hits disappear? Headshots? Hits from behind? Simple. Merely institute a rule such as: Any contact deemed non-incidental garners the offending player a suspension for the entirety of the injured players absence. If the injury proves to be career ending, the offending players career is also over.

If there is anyone who loves good old hard-nosed north american hockey, it's me, however being someone who's career was ended before it even got started due to a dirty hit, I can tell you, I hope the ******* who hit me can't play either. An eye for an eye.

ReverbAndDelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 05:33 PM
NYRamonte10

I think all Melrose Barnaby and that other guy misunderstood what the rule new says. While it does say hits where the head is "targeted" would be illegal, it also says that any hits where the "principal point of contact" is the head, (these have to be from the side or behind) are illegal too.

I must applaud that wording, and the rule itself is really a great step. If the first thing you hit is a guys head when going in for a hit from behind or from the side, it should be an automatic penalty and reviewed for suspension. Spot on.

NYRamonte10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 05:40 PM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Like A Trainwreck View Post
Listen, we've all seen it happen. incidental contact can produce severe injuries, and thats why any hit that produces an injury of any kind of severity should be reviewed. However I really don't think this goes far enough.

Do you want to see Knee on Knee hits disappear? Headshots? Hits from behind? Simple. Merely institute a rule such as: Any contact deemed non-incidental garners the offending player a suspension for the entirety of the injured players absence. If the injury proves to be career ending, the offending players career is also over.

If there is anyone who loves good old hard-nosed north american hockey, it's me, however being someone who's career was ended before it even got started due to a dirty hit, I can tell you, I hope the ******* who hit me can't play either. An eye for an eye.
This sounds nice, but if that were to happen hitting would all but disappear altogether.

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 06:01 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
I agree. There's really no reason that a big guy should be lining up a much smaller player like that anyway, unless they're trying to hurt him.
What? So now guys should only check players their own size?

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 06:31 PM
MadHookUp

I am still waiting for the rule where if you injure a person on a suspension worthy action, your suspension is at minimum the same time the player is injured.

Would love to see guys like Richards and Cooke forced to sit out for several months.

It would be nice if players had to think to themselves... "Well I could try and rip this guys head off, but I might be suspended for the next 3 months if I hurt him bad?"

MadHookUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 01:14 AM
EvilEmpire94

If the league is so concerned about brain damage, they should not let Ranger games be aired on TV for the fan's sake.

EvilEmpire94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 12:12 PM
Shadowtron

Gotta love ESPN:

Quote:
Cooke was suspended two games this season for a hit to the head of Rangers center Atrium Animism. He also drew a two-game suspension for a hitting Carolina forward Scott Walker in the head on Jan. 20, 2009.
Sounds like a disease involving animals.

Shadowtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 12:21 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowtron View Post
Gotta love ESPN:

Atrium? Don't let Artie see, he'll soil himself.

No really, a rule change regarding hits to the hit is way overdue.

This is a good start.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 12:21 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowtron View Post
Gotta love ESPN:

Wow, that's one of the worst I've seen yet.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 04:18 AM
broadwayblue

The league is pathetic. Savard is likely out for the remainder of the season and Cooke doesn't even get a 1 game suspension for yet another dirty hit. These guys are clowns.

Old
03-12-2010, 10:59 AM
94now

I do not like the rule. I mean, it is better than nothing, but not what needs to be done. Lateral or blindsided... Gimme a brake, it's not enough. Player has to play, he should not be focused on protecting himself from injury, it's not a sport then.
IMO, the purpose of a hit is to create the turnover. Nothing else. If it serves other purpose such as physical intimidation, sort of punishment, an attempt to trow the opponent off his game or anything of the similar nature, it must be banned. Blindside hits is a good start, but then late hits should follow and the rest of that BS.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 02:23 PM
broadwayblue

rule or no rule, i still don't understand how Cooke's hit doesn't warrant a suspension...particularly when he already received one for a similar hit a couple months back. i just don't get it.

Old
03-12-2010, 02:33 PM
Nick00

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
What? So now guys should only check players their own size?
No, but come on, there's a difference between "checking" someone and going out of your way to knock them in to next week.
Checking is there to remove the opposing player from the puck, and how far you want to take that is up to the player. I'm not anti-hitting or anti-physicality.
But when a big player targets a much smaller player and runs him through the boards, I'm not going to feel bad when they call it a head shot.

Old
03-12-2010, 02:45 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
No, but come on, there's a difference between "checking" someone and going out of your way to knock them in to next week.
Checking is there to remove the opposing player from the puck, and how far you want to take that is up to the player. I'm not anti-hitting or anti-physicality.
But when a big player targets a much smaller player and runs him through the boards, I'm not going to feel bad when they call it a head shot.
I don't know. Physical intimidation has always been a part of the game. I'm all for bone crunching hits...as long as elbows are down and they are not head shots or hits from behind.

Old
03-12-2010, 02:52 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
rule or no rule, i still don't understand how Cooke's hit doesn't warrant a suspension...particularly when he already received one for a similar hit a couple months back. i just don't get it.
He jumped into the Anisimov hit. Not this one.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 04:45 PM
Nick00

Quote:
I don't know. Physical intimidation has always been a part of the game. I'm all for bone crunching hits...as long as elbows are down and they are not head shots or hits from behind.
Well that's the thing, how do you hit a guy who's 5 inches shorter than you and not catch the head?
Of course you have the hip check but that takes some real precision and it's a rare sight these days.
It's so much easier to just put your arms up and run in to a guy, and that's the problem.

Old
03-12-2010, 05:52 PM
nyrcallahan24
nomvegannom

it doesnt really matter what they say. they have to put this into effect, and show players their serious: like calling ovetchkin and crosby when they blindside players. I have seen so many that have never been called.

nyrcallahan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 08:38 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
To update, it looks like the League is ready to institute the rule this season:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP
TORONTO -- The NHL wants to adopt a new rule against blindside hits to the head before the end of this season, according to two reports Wednesday.

The league is hoping to fast-track the proposed rule and is preparing a DVD package after a number of players suffered concussions this season. The highlight package will illustrate what would, and wouldn't, be allowed under a proposed rule change adopted by general managers at meetings in Florida last week.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=5002178

The sooner the better, I say.