HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kevin Lowe on the Jason Gregor Show

Old
03-10-2010, 08:19 PM
Soundwave

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by reb98 View Post
I've actually heard a few times on 1260 that Horcoff can't be sent down because of his NMC
Horcoff has an NTC for two more seasons. He does not have an NMC.

Even if he did, that would be OK, because we'll keep him around for 2 more years minimum anyway, he'll still be useful in sheltering some of the kids and being the go-to checking center. There's the off chance he may have a bounce back year at some point and actually become tradable.

If not, when we need the money to resign Hall/Seguin/etc. down the line, then you send him to the AHL. Unlike a buy-out this clears the full cap hit right off the cap .... $5.5 mill in full cap savings with no penalty.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 08:21 PM
oilersfan11

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
Horcoff has an NTC for two more seasons. He does not have an NMC.

Even if he did, that would be OK, because we'll keep him around for 2 more years minimum anyway, he'll still be useful in sheltering some of the kids and being the go-to checking center.

When we need the money to resign Hall/Seguin/etc. down the line, then you send him to the AHL.

Really???How the hell do you give Horcoff a NTC.

oilersfan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 08:21 PM
Delta Cubes

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDU View Post
never say never in regards to horcoff...

as far as MPS goes, i lol at those people saying this guy might not be ready... he's older than eberle and hall, he's bigger and he's been playing with men for at least 2 years, and he looked dominant at the wjc...

he might be the most ready of any of our prospects...
Buying out Horcoff now would be one of the stupidest moves. To have that much dead cap space for a long long period of time would definitely come back to haunt us.

Eberle's older than MPS. Eberle's a '90 and MPS' a '91

Delta Cubes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 08:24 PM
Giant Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersfan11 View Post
Really???How the hell do you give Horcoff a NTC.
It was a safe bet because he's so darn valuable to the Oilers and we're lucky to have him because we'll never get anyone better so why would we ever want to trade him?

At least that's what I read on a blog.

Giant Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 08:27 PM
oilersfan11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Moo View Post
It was a safe bet because he's so darn valuable to the Oilers and we're lucky to have him because we'll never get anyone better so why would we ever want to trade him?

At least that's what I read on a blog.

Who ever says this really needs to get their head out of their ****en ass.

Old
03-10-2010, 08:33 PM
TigerWoo

The Oilers would never buyout Horcoff IMO. A cap hit for double his years left. That's FOREVER.

TigerWoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 08:39 PM
Soundwave

10-11: 6.5 mill NTC
11-12: 6.5 mill NTC
12-13: 6 mill
13-14: 4 mill
14-15: 3 mill

Cap hit = 5.5 million

That is Horcoff's contract. Looking at it, the best thing to do is to send him to the AHL starting for the 13-14 season.

That is the same time we will need to re-up whoever we draft this summer (Hall or Seguin hopefully).

Plus it's more economical to eat the last two years -- only 4 mill + 3 mill to get effectively a full 5.5 million in cap breathing space for both years. No penalty (unlike buy-outs).

I can live with Horcoff for 2 or 3 more years. We need a 2-way center with experience anyway for the next couple of years any way you shake it, we'll just have to accept that he's overpaid for a couple more years. But the important thing is we'll have the cap room when we need it.

Old
03-10-2010, 08:48 PM
mikemc89

Quote:
I can live with Horcoff for 2 or 3 more years. We need a 2-way center with experience anyway for the next couple of years any way you shake it, we'll just have to accept that he's overpaid for a couple more years. But the important thing is we'll have the cap room when we need it.
Agreed. We may not be getting our value for him, but it's not like we NEED the cap room in the next 2 years. He's a capable checking centre. So play him there. And who knows? Maybe he puts up a 50 point season and we can at least be sort of happy with it.

mikemc89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 08:54 PM
OilerFan4Life

vCash: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by dantencer View Post
Yep. 8:35. And, just a friendly heads up...most of the conversation will revolve around Hall/Seguin as Lowe saw them both live twice in the last week. I want to hit him up on the head shot debate, too...so there will be some conversation about the current state of affairs with the Oilers, but not 15 minutes of it.
Couldn't get the interview last night before 1260 got it huh kiddo?

Just kidding....thanks

OilerFan4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 09:04 PM
Jmask83

I think we can turn it around in the summer. I think we have enough good pieces from the first time we tried to rebuild. Gagner, Cogliano, Brule, add Ebs MPS and Seguin/Hall and you have a top 6 made up of only young guys and then add Penner and Hemsky. I think this is a great forward core to build around. There is one thing we need and that is the young Stud D-man. Larsson is the guy but if we want to get him we're going to need to give Hemsky another year off and Keep Eberle and MPS off the team and maybe even send Hall or Seguin back to junior. Then we need to sign no one new and we should keep both Nilsson and POS. If we ice a team like that we can get Larsson and that would be our final missing piece.

Jmask83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 09:37 PM
Blatherblah

Quote:

Cap hit = 5.5 million

That is Horcoff's contract. Looking at it, the best thing to do is to send him to the AHL starting for the 13-14 season.

That is the same time we will need to re-up whoever we draft this summer (Hall or Seguin hopefully).

Plus it's more economical to eat the last two years -- only 4 mill + 3 mill to get effectively a full 5.5 million in cap breathing space for both years. No penalty (unlike buy-outs).

Yeah the contract sucks, but a buyout would be an even dumber decision. Might as well have a veteran centerman than take a pretty substantial cap hit for 10 (?) years with no player at all. Who knows, he might get his pre-injury game back. I'm tired of all the shots he's (rightfully) taken, because not too long ago he was a good hockey player. His terrible play this year has turned his merely bad contract into one of the worst in the league.

Last edited by Blatherblah: 03-10-2010 at 09:42 PM.
Blatherblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 10:00 PM
alanschu

Quote:
What happens when he is ****** next yr? The guy is just not that good.
I think he's a much better player than he has shown this season. Having said that, it could be mental and he could never recover.

alanschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 10:01 PM
alanschu

Quote:
The natural response to that is something like "You talk a lot about accountability, so how can you (as director of hockey operations) be held accountable for the last-place results across all teams of the Oilers organization?"

My guess is that it wasn't asked, though.
Would you like him to just say "Well I should be fired" or something? I'm pretty convinced there's no answer he could give that would satisfy you.

Old
03-10-2010, 10:05 PM
oilersfan11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmask83 View Post
I think we can turn it around in the summer. I think we have enough good pieces from the first time we tried to rebuild. Gagner, Cogliano, Brule, add Ebs MPS and Seguin/Hall and you have a top 6 made up of only young guys and then add Penner and Hemsky. I think this is a great forward core to build around. There is one thing we need and that is the young Stud D-man. Larsson is the guy but if we want to get him we're going to need to give Hemsky another year off and Keep Eberle and MPS off the team and maybe even send Hall or Seguin back to junior. Then we need to sign no one new and we should keep both Nilsson and POS. If we ice a team like that we can get Larsson and that would be our final missing piece.

Have Eberle,MPS,Hall/Seguin all play for our AHL team next yr.Then the yr after that have all 3 in the Oilers lineup for good.The buy-outs and not having these players in the lineup,Also the usual injury bug that will probably hit this team will give the Oilers a great chance in landing Adam Larsson first overall next yr.

Adam Larsson
Sam Gagner
Jordan Eberle
MPS
Ales Hemsky
Taylor Hall/Tyler Seguin

This will be a sick core to build around.

Last edited by oilersfan11: 03-10-2010 at 10:10 PM.
Old
03-10-2010, 10:08 PM
Giant Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanschu View Post
Would you like him to just say "Well I should be fired" or something? I'm pretty convinced there's no answer he could give that would satisfy you.
I have no doubt he'd greasily squirm his way out.

I just want someone to put the question to him.

Old
03-10-2010, 10:10 PM
alanschu

Quote:
I have no doubt he'd greasily squirm his way out.

I just want someone to put the question to him.
I have a feeling it'll be rather short-term satisfaction. In the end nothing is gained from doing so.

Old
03-10-2010, 10:15 PM
s7ark
TheWorstEver

Quote:
Have Eberle,MPS,Hall/Seguin all play for our AHL team next yr.Then the yr after that have all 3 in the Oilers lineup for good.The buy-outs and not having these players in the lineup,Also the usual injury bug that will probably hit this team will give the Oilers a great chance in landing Adam Larsson first overall next yr.

While I like the Larsson idea, Hall/Seguin can't play in the AHL next year. NHL or OHL only.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 10:19 PM
MDupont

Quote:

Adam Larsson
Sam Gagner
Jordan Eberle
MPS
Ales Hemsky
Taylor Hall/Tyler Seguin

This will be a sick core to build around.
Nothing like Chicago though, but getting closer.

MDupont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 10:24 PM
oilersfan11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDupont View Post
Adam Larsson is going to be better then any of the defenceman that Chicago currently has.

Adam is a franchise D-man in the making.Watching his play,he never makes an error at all.He is great at jumping into a scoring chance,Aswell he is willing to bang his body into the opposition's forwards.His defensive play is great,he almost never cause's a giveway.Some people that watch him have said that there has been 7-9 games in a row where he was a great threat (Scoring wise) and never made a single error in his game.

Last edited by oilersfan11: 03-10-2010 at 10:33 PM.
Old
03-10-2010, 10:25 PM
obglim

Quote:

Cap hit = 5.5 million

I think this the best way i have seen to look at it. as bad as horcoff is he is not useless. once he is not the primary player anymore he might find a new level of usefulness.
another way he might have value is to a cap floor team, once his cap hit is more than his actual salary. either way, it has to be easier to get rid of him in the future than it would be now.

obglim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 10:28 PM
Giant Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanschu View Post
I have a feeling it'll be rather short-term satisfaction. In the end nothing is gained from doing so.
How are you so sure about that? It could just as easily embarrass him and set in motion his departure somehow. And I'm all for that.

Old
03-10-2010, 10:36 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 692
Quote:
How are you so sure about that? It could just as easily embarrass him and set in motion his departure somehow. And I'm all for that.
Why? This solves nothing, IMO people should stop looking at Lowe and start looking at Tambo it's now clear whos pulling the strings behind the scenes and Tambo has done nothing to help this team.

raab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 10:37 PM
Jmask83

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDupont View Post
No one really thought Chicago would be like Chicago so its too early to tell. I mean all the Oilers guys could be busts but if they all reach their Potential than the Oilers will be better than Chicago.

For example

MPS= Naslund with better speed and play making abilities but not as good a finisher. Still a very good player and who knows he could be a great scorer liek Naslund in his prime as well.

Jordan Eberle= Joey Mullen, a Hall of Famer. If that's Eberle potential than I am sold.

Taylor Hall- Stamkos like. If Hall can pot 45 goals than that's amazing.

Or

Seguin- Poor man's Crosby. I'll take that.

Gagner= Still hasn't reached his full potential but if he plays like he plays in the 2nd half of the season for a full season than he could be great.

Cogs= If he can turn his game around like Mason Raymond did for the Canucks than he could be good as well. If not that we can move on from him and it won't be much of a loss.

Brule= Who knows? Skies the limit but times running out.

Than throw in Penner and Hemsky and I think you have a better forward core than Chicago.

Chicago has Keith and Seabrook and the Oilers don't have anyone like that. Larsson could be our Keith and Perhaps Smid could be a Seabrook type.

Our Goaltending looks better if JDD can tighten up his game Dubnyk can find his.

It will be tough to get Larsson though because when healthy and with a few players here and there this team isn't bad enough to get Larsson.

Jmask83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 10:40 PM
s7ark
TheWorstEver

Quote:
Adam Larsson is going to be better then any of the defenceman that Chicago currently has.
I like Larsson, but Keith is pretty good. While your prediction could come true, it's a tall order and no sure thing.

And I caught most of this interview on the drive home and thought Lowe came off sounding good. I'll admit I've always had a soft spot for him, and I think his problem is more that he's too loyal to his players then that he's an idiot. But I though here he sounded honest, which seemed like a breathe of fresh air in comparison to the never ending PR campaign we are used to.

I like that Lowe had lunch with Hall recently and wants to have one with Seguin too. It shows that he's really getting to know these kids in order to get the best possible information. I think he mentioned he was going to the Whalers - Spitfires game too. So I expect both kids will try to shine tomorrow.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 10:45 PM
Soundwave

Hemsky and Khabby would have to be hurt again for 75%+ of the season (at the same time) for the Oilers to be in the Larsson sweepstakes I think.

Earlier in the year when I entertained thoughts of what it would take for the Oilers to have a shot at Hall, I remember thinking it would take both Hemsky and Khabby out for the season for that to happen ... and that basically worked out in a weird way.

But two years in a row ... I dunno.

Also remember Duncan Keith was not even a 1st round pick. He was picked in the 2nd round ... so our drafting department needs to hit a home run with one of their 2nd round picks one of these days.