HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kevin Lowe on the Jason Gregor Show

Old
03-10-2010, 09:45 PM
oilersfan11

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmask83 View Post
No one really thought Chicago would be like Chicago so its too early to tell. I mean all the Oilers guys could be busts but if they all reach their Potential than the Oilers will be better than Chicago.

For example

MPS= Naslund with better speed and play making abilities but not as good a finisher. Still a very good player and who knows he could be a great scorer liek Naslund in his prime as well.

Jordan Eberle= Joey Mullen, a Hall of Famer. If that's Eberle potential than I am sold.

Taylor Hall- Stamkos like. If Hall can pot 45 goals than that's amazing.

Or

Seguin- Poor man's Crosby. I'll take that.

Gagner= Still hasn't reached his full potential but if he plays like he plays in the 2nd half of the season for a full season than he could be great.

Cogs= If he can turn his game around like Mason Raymond did for the Canucks than he could be good as well. If not that we can move on from him and it won't be much of a loss.

Brule= Who knows? Skies the limit but times running out.

Than throw in Penner and Hemsky and I think you have a better forward core than Chicago.

Chicago has Keith and Seabrook and the Oilers don't have anyone like that. Larsson could be our Keith and Perhaps Smid could be a Seabrook type.

Our Goaltending looks better if JDD can tighten up his game Dubnyk can find his.
Stamkos best yr in the OHL

2007-08 Regular Season Sarnia Sting 61 58 47 105

Seguin currently
2009-10 Regular Season Plymouth Whalers 60 47 58 105

Hall currently
2009-10 Regular Season Windsor Spitfires 56 39 64 103

oilersfan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 09:46 PM
Giant Moo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Why? This solves nothing, IMO people should stop looking at Lowe and start looking at Tambo it's now clear whos pulling the strings behind the scenes and Tambo has done nothing to help this team.
You can't be serious.

Lowe is the man at the top of the management pyramid and who is responsible for all of hockey operations.

If the current output from hockey operations is a last place team, at every level of the organization, who else but him is responsible?

In any other industry, that kind of failure gets you canned before the next quarterly report. But not in Katz-land, it seems. If he ran his pharmaceutical empire like he does the Oilers, he'd be bankrupt.

Giant Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 09:46 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
I like Larsson, but Keith is pretty good. While your prediction could come true, it's a tall order and no sure thing.

And I caught most of this interview on the drive home and thought Lowe came off sounding good. I'll admit I've always had a soft spot for him, and I think his problem is more that he's too loyal to his players then that he's an idiot. But I though here he sounded honest, which seemed like a breathe of fresh air in comparison to the never ending PR campaign we are used to.

I like that Lowe had lunch with Hall recently and wants to have one with Seguin too. It shows that he's really getting to know these kids in order to get the best possible information. I think he mentioned he was going to the Whalers - Spitfires game too. So I expect both kids will try to shine tomorrow.
Is the game going to be on Sportsnet or viewable online somewhere?

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 09:47 PM
Valens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
Hemsky and Khabby would have to be hurt again for 75%+ of the season (at the same time) for the Oilers to be in the Larsson sweepstakes I think.

Earlier in the year when I entertained thoughts of what it would take for the Oilers to have a shot at Hall, I remember thinking it would take both Hemsky and Khabby out for the season for that to happen ... and that basically worked out in a weird way.

But two years in a row ... I dunno.

Also remember Duncan Keith was not even a 1st round pick. He was picked in the 2nd round ... so our drafting department needs to hit a home run with one of their 2nd round picks one of these days.
Definitely! Weber was a second rounder also.

Valens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 09:50 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valens View Post
Definitely! Weber was a second rounder also.
Cam Barker was actually Chicago's big time d-man pick (3rd overall 04) and he's not even with the club anymore.

So d-men can be a bit of a crap shoot. Keith and Weber are among the best in the world and neither was taken in the 1st round.

I wonder if Minny would entertain a Brent Burns + lower rung pick/prospect for Gilbert + Cogliano.

Burns Souray
Whitney Smid
Johnson Chorney
Peckham

Would be alright with Petry and Plante joining the group hopefully in the future.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 09:51 PM
Delta Cubes

Good interview on 630 ched.

Delta Cubes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 09:53 PM
alanschu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Moo View Post
How are you so sure about that? It could just as easily embarrass him and set in motion his departure somehow. And I'm all for that.
I'm skeptical that someone asking him that question will give any epiphany's to Kevin Lowe. And I don't mean that it's because Lowe would be too thick to come to that conclusion.

alanschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 09:56 PM
Jmask83

Then again Pittsburgh and Carolina both won the cup without a true defensive Stud. So you can do it with a balanced D-core. A good goaltender can also help a lot. I think whatever we do in that position it will be better than what chicago has right now. I don't think they can win the cup with what they have.

Jmask83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 09:57 PM
oilersfan11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
Cam Barker was actually Chicago's big time d-man pick (3rd overall 04) and he's not even with the club anymore.

So d-men can be a bit of a crap shoot. Keith and Weber are among the best in the world and neither was taken in the 1st round.

I wonder if Minny would entertain a Brent Burns + lower rung pick/prospect for Gilbert + Cogliano.

Burns Souray
Whitney Smid
Johnson Chorney
Peckham

Would be alright with Petry and Plante joining the group hopefully in the future.

Burns is not what this team needs.He has a major issue's with injuries.

Old
03-10-2010, 09:59 PM
alanschu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Moo View Post
You can't be serious.

Lowe is the man at the top of the management pyramid and who is responsible for all of hockey operations.
You can't be serious. It's Katz's company. He's the man at the top of the management pyramid responsible for everything. (read: sarcasm)

We don't even really know what Lowe's job actually entails, nor what his involvement is in the Oilers. Not that that matters to any of us, since Lowe isn't accountable to any of us.

It really seems like you just have a vendetta against the guy and want him Pocklington'd.

alanschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 10:03 PM
Beerfish

Lowe still speaking in detail about the oilers eh? So much for the thought that he was out of the picture more or less and this was all tambellini now.

Regarding anything else that was said, we'll believe when we see it.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 10:14 PM
oilersfan11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
Lowe still speaking in detail about the oilers eh? So much for the thought that he was out of the picture more or less and this was all tambellini now.

When it comes to picking Hall/Seguin I really don't want Lowe any part of it.Leave it up to Tambo and the scouts,keep Lowe out of the picture and don't listen to his opinion.Ever since the moves he has made and the decision's he has decided to go on,I really don't want him a part of the draft AT ALL.The Oilers can not afford to screw up at the draft.

Old
03-10-2010, 10:17 PM
Jmask83

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersfan11 View Post
When it comes to picking Hall/Seguin I really don't want Lowe any part of it.Leave it up to Tambo and the scouts,keep Lowe out of the picture and don't listen to his opinion.Ever since the moves he has made and the decision's he has decided to go on,I really don't want him a part of the draft AT ALL.The Oilers can not afford to screw up at the draft.
I don't care if he's involved in the picking as long as he's not involved in the signing. LOL. The guy is smart and has an eye for talent but when it comes to contracts he should never be involved in another negotiation ever again.

Jmask83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 10:28 PM
RKD

Quote:

Well as the President of Hockey Operations, I would hope he's doing his job or else he's just another overpaid person on the payroll.

03-10-2010, 10:34 PM
theoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKD View Post
Well as the President of Hockey Operations, I would hope he's doing his job or else he's just another overpaid person on the payroll.
I guess the question that makes this more complicated is just exactly what does the job of President of Hockey Operations atually entail? I am surprised it involves scouting junior prospects - even those at the top of their class.

theoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 10:35 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Can anyone summarize the CHED interview? I missed it.

The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 10:40 PM
Calgary Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post
Can anyone summarize the CHED interview? I missed it.
Hour 3, at about the 7 min mark:
http://www.theteam1260.com/sound_byt...arch_10th/788/

Calgary Oilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 10:56 PM
RKD

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoil View Post
I guess the question that makes this more complicated is just exactly what does the job of President of Hockey Operations atually entail? I am surprised it involves scouting junior prospects - even those at the top of their class.
To be honest with you, I'd like to know what a lot of hockey jobs entail. For example, what does Steve Tambellini do on a daily basis? I'm sure there's lots of day-to-day stuff, but it's natural to wonder what goes on. Kevin Lowe's job was essentially a new job when Tambellini was brought in, correct? Yeah, who knows.

At the very least we can all be happy that the Oilers, as an organization, are spending so much time scouting Hall and Seguin. I don't think anyone has to worry about a surprise Fowler pick if they Oilers do happen to pick first or second.

RKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 11:00 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud11 View Post
To be exact the 6:12 mark.

hockeyaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 11:17 PM
Giant Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanschu View Post
I'm skeptical that someone asking him that question will give any epiphany's to Kevin Lowe. And I don't mean that it's because Lowe would be too thick to come to that conclusion.
I'm not saying it's not a long shot, but nor am I saying the epiphany can only be given to him.

I just want to reiterate that hearing the question asked would be the catharsis itself.

Old
03-10-2010, 11:19 PM
Giant Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanschu View Post
You can't be serious. It's Katz's company. He's the man at the top of the management pyramid responsible for everything. (read: sarcasm)
If Katz is handling the day-to-day, we're in deep doo-doo.

Quote:
We don't even really know what Lowe's job actually entails, nor what his involvement is in the Oilers. Not that that matters to any of us, since Lowe isn't accountable to any of us.

It really seems like you just have a vendetta against the guy and want him Pocklington'd.
I want Lowe Pocklington'd? I don't understand. I want Lowe to own the team and then have Gainers employees picket in front of his factory?

If you mean I want Lowe gone -- then yes. Absolutely.

Old
03-10-2010, 11:24 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Why? This solves nothing, IMO people should stop looking at Lowe and start looking at Tambo it's now clear whos pulling the strings behind the scenes and Tambo has done nothing to help this team.
The years Lowe was GM, the Oilers were never in 30th. I belive they never finished bottom 5. The closest they came was in 2007 when Ryan Smyth was traded and they finished 25th.

03-10-2010, 11:32 PM
Arpeggio

Quote:

Considering he's an employee of the Oilers, I think it's a good thing he has some idea of what's going on with the team.

Arpeggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 11:38 PM
Rafters

hope he talked with Fowler....just in case

Rafters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2010, 11:40 PM
PDO

Send a message via AIM to PDO
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKD View Post
To be honest with you, I'd like to know what a lot of hockey jobs entail. For example, what does Steve Tambellini do on a daily basis? I'm sure there's lots of day-to-day stuff, but it's natural to wonder what goes on. Kevin Lowe's job was essentially a new job when Tambellini was brought in, correct? Yeah, who knows.

At the very least we can all be happy that the Oilers, as an organization, are spending so much time scouting Hall and Seguin. I don't think anyone has to worry about a surprise Fowler pick if they Oilers do happen to pick first or second.
Kevin Lowe's job entails...

#1) Eating breakfasts at public functions to support a new arena.
#2) Telling Tambs what to do.
#3) Saying we plan on following a template of "insert successful fad team."

Rinse and repeat .

PDO is offline   Reply With Quote