HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Coach's methods fall flat

Old
03-11-2010, 09:02 AM
BobSantos

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
It was nearsighted and ignorant. Those fans that were so excited to see Tortorella come aboard are just as inept and trigger happy as our General Manager....
Are you off your rocker? Yes I like Torts and therefore I am "INEPT".

Whoooo - when I go "fan" it up I really can't seem to figure it out. It's so tough for me. I'm just soooo inept as a fan.

This season I am still watching. Last season I don't think I saw more than ten games.

It is more exciting. We, sadly, are more physical, with the exception of Orr's absence.

There is tons of room for improvement, but this is not on Torts.

BobSantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 09:09 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSantos View Post
Are you off your rocker? Yes I like Torts and therefore I am "INEPT".

Whoooo - when I go "fan" it up I really can't seem to figure it out. It's so tough for me. I'm just soooo inept as a fan.

This season I am still watching. Last season I don't think I saw more than ten games.

It is more exciting. We, sadly, are more physical, with the exception of Orr's absence.

There is tons of room for improvement, but this is not on Torts.
This team sucks as much as last year's team, with better personnel.

The lack of structure and purpose with this team harkens me back to the pre-lockout days.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 09:13 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Where's all the offensive fire power that was being stifled and held back by Tom Renney?

03-11-2010, 09:14 AM
Shadowtron

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Where's all the offensive fire power that was being stifled and held back by Tom Renney?
It's still too early in the season! It'll come, you wait and see.

Shadowtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 09:18 AM
lovetherangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito Andolini View Post
This is what 'Brooksy' took out of last night's game? A story about how the players arrived to Newark?

His bias against Tortorella makes his writing complete drivel. It's obvious that he just sits on these kind of stories months in advance and waits for an opportunity to put them out there. There's no analysis or original points made whatsoever...just a sad excuse for journalism.
Seriously. I'm waiting for Brooks to accuse Torts of making a duplicate copy of the key to the ward room icebox, and begin obsessing over strawberries!

lovetherangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 09:23 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
This is what 'Brooksy' took out of last night's game? A story about how the players arrived to Newark?

His bias against Tortorella makes his writing complete drivel. It's obvious that he just sits on these kind of stories months in advance and waits for an opportunity to put them out there. There's no analysis or original points made whatsoever...just a sad excuse for journalism.
No, the takeaway is Torts ability to put the blame everywhere but on himself and his ability to say nothing when he speaks.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 09:24 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

The main point is that Tortorella has no idea and it's true. Torts is lost, this team sucks. They look disinterested. The Devils were weak and down. The Rangers just let them have their way with them. No one plays with any guts or balls. This team is an embarrassment. If you can't beat them in the scoreboard beat them physically. The Rangers do neither. This is the softest team I can remember. The past few years have been littered with soft teams, this one feels like it belongs at #1.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 09:27 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
You mean the offense that was going to flourish once the evil chains of Renney were removed from the team?

I do miss the days where we had a coach that would actually evaluate his team and act accordingly. Renney's system was overtly defensive, but honestly, with Nik Zherdev leading the offensive charge, what would be a better alternative?

But hey, now we have a coach thats "exciting"...whether it be preaching about not walking on the Rangers logo, *****ing about limos, or attacking a fan during the playoffs. And what is ESPECIALLY exciting is Torts' style of play, which is.................um..........

Little help here?

Old
03-11-2010, 09:27 AM
nyrfan519

Yes Larry, and it's always something else with you about Torts. Always some new kind of complaint or criticism.

Even if he has some points, he's just beating a dead horse...he's letting personal issues (i.e., his bad relationship with and hatred of Torts) affect his work, which is a big no-no.

nyrfan519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 09:28 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan519 View Post
Yes Larry, and it's always something else with you about Torts. Always some new kind of complaint or criticism.

Even if he has some points, he's just beating a dead horse...he's letting personal issues (i.e., his bad relationship with and hatred of Torts) affect his work, which is a big no-no.
What has this guy done to not warrant complaints or criticism?

Old
03-11-2010, 09:30 AM
Vito Andolini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
His story is about how the coach found that to complain about during this stretch and for the 2nd time this season. There are many more problems than how they get to the game, Larry hates Torts BS answers and so do I. He might still need to watch the tape though to figure out what happened lastnight. He just won't give an honest answer to the media which makes his PC's really pointless except for the soap opera drama that happens every week or so. When I tune into a Torts post game interview i'm not tuning in to listen to hockey analysis of my team, i'm tuning in to see some drama. Most here would admit the same. What has anyone learned about this team this season from watching 60+ of these so far? NOTHING.

Where was the complaint? I see Brooks quote "Limos flying in all over the place,", but he gives no real context to that quote. In fact, most of the article seems to quote and deal with things that were said on January 2nd or June 28 2009.

This is a meaningless article from a bitter man.

Last nights problem was defense in front of the net. It was awful. Girardi, Del Zotto, Redden...they all stunk.

How the Rangers got to the game and the varying line combinations during the game were not the actual issues.

Vito Andolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
lovetherangers

Quote:

Exactly, Brooks acts like a child who had his toy taken away. Yes Torts doesnt seem to be the answer, but Brooks is acting like an immature little brat.

lovetherangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
NYROrtsFan

Quote:
You mean the offense that was going to flourish once the evil chains of Renney were removed from the team?

I do miss the days where we had a coach that would actually evaluate his team and act accordingly. Renney's system was overtly defensive, but honestly, with Nik Zherdev leading the offensive charge, what would be a better alternative?

But hey, now we have a coach thats "exciting"...whether it be preaching about not walking on the Rangers logo, *****ing about limos, or attacking a fan during the playoffs. And what is ESPECIALLY exciting is Torts' style of play, which is.................um..........

Little help here?

And Renney's system only went overly defensive once it was clear that we did not have the offensive talent to score with other teams.

Early years with Jagr, it was not as boring as it became when we just lost all offensive talent.

Yet the "smart" people here were sure that Renney was holding the team back offensively and have now moved their blame towards Torts.

The problem right now is the talent. Torts AND Renney are both good coaches. Truly believe that. Torts won a cup, (something very difficult for bad coaches to accomplish) and Renney took the team to the playoffs each year. You can just tell on the ice as well. There was a specific feeling when we had the guys like Trots. Just a different world on the ice in terms of effort and sticking with the system. That hasn't been there since Renney and Torts.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 09:31 AM
nyrfan519

Quote:
What has this guy done to not warrant complaints or criticism?
Look, I'm not saying I disagree with Larry's points. Torts has not done a very good job this year...that being said, I just feel like Larry tries too hard to bash him, more so than is natural. You can't tell me that if he didn't have personal issues with Torts that he would be writing this much bad stuff about him....I mean it's like an article a week saying the same crap over and over again.

nyrfan519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 09:31 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:

Brooks has to write a column about the Rangers nearly every day. Its not surprising that a lot of the content involves the head coach, who is overseeing a team that is in a tailspin.

It makes it that much easier to attack Torts being hes pretty much the antithesis of classy and informative.

Old
03-11-2010, 09:33 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Look, I'm not saying I disagree with Larry's points. Torts has not done a very good job this year...that being said, I just feel like Larry tries too hard to bash him, more so than is natural. You can't tell me that if he didn't have personal issues with Torts that he would be writing this much bad stuff about him....I mean it's like an article a week saying the same crap over and over again.
Perhaps not. But to me, Torts brings this upon himself.

Old
03-11-2010, 09:34 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYROrtsFan View Post
And Renney's system only went overly defensive once it was clear that we did not have the offensive talent to score with other teams.

Early years with Jagr, it was not as boring as it became when we just lost all offensive talent.

Yet the "smart" people here were sure that Renney was holding the team back offensively and have now moved their blame towards Torts.

The problem right now is the talent. Torts AND Renney are both good coaches. Truly believe that. Torts won a cup, (something very difficult for bad coaches to accomplish) and Renney took the team to the playoffs each year. You can just tell on the ice as well. There was a specific feeling when we had the guys like Trots. Just a different world on the ice in terms of effort and sticking with the system. That hasn't been there since Renney and Torts.
Actually, I would respect that much more. But there are several people who crucified Renney and are now giving Torts a free pass because of the shoddy personnel. Its the very definition of hypocritical...especially considering this years team possesses an all-world goal scorer.

Old
03-11-2010, 09:34 AM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
The main point is that Tortorella has no idea and it's true. Torts is lost, this team sucks. They look disinterested. The Devils were weak and down. The Rangers just let them have their way with them. No one plays with any guts or balls. This team is an embarrassment. If you can't beat them in the scoreboard beat them physically. The Rangers do neither. This is the softest team I can remember. The past few years have been littered with soft teams, this one feels like it belongs at #1.
they were disinterested last year as well. This is from their leadership and vets. Drury, Redden and Rosy all look completely disinterested. Girardi looks that way as well. disinterest spreads like cancer, and it seems it is spreading around the entire team now. But it starts with those three clowns. Drury must be the worst leader, captain or whatever in all of sports. he is a broken down shell who is completely disinterested in NY. Just look at how much more spirited he was in the Olympics or when he was w/ Buffalo. Since he has come here he looks disinterested.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 09:38 AM
Vito Andolini

Quote:
Actually, I would respect that much more. But there are several people who crucified Renney and are now giving Torts a free pass because of the shoddy personnel. Its the very definition of hypocritical...especially considering this years team possesses an all-world goal scorer.
Can we have a cruxifiction thread for these posters you mention, rather than making every thread that mentions Tortorella into a clear Tom Renney's name thread?

Old
03-11-2010, 09:41 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
they were disinterested last year as well. This is from their leadership and vets. Drury, Redden and Rosy all look completely disinterested. Girardi looks that way as well. disinterest spreads like cancer, and it seems it is spreading around the entire team now. But it starts with those three clowns. Drury must be the worst leader, captain or whatever in all of sports. he is a broken down shell who is completely disinterested in NY. Just look at how much more spirited he was in the Olympics or when he was w/ Buffalo. Since he has come here he looks disinterested.
No, last year Renney "lost the team" and the team needed a coach who could "take the team to the next level."

Disinterested hockey players don't through their bodies in front of pucks traveling at high speeds. It's clear he's lost a step or two. But you can't say he's disinterested as he plays hard every game.

Old
03-11-2010, 09:42 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Can we have a cruxifiction thread for these posters you mention, rather than making every thread that mentions Tortorella into a clear Tom Renney's name thread?
I dont think we need to clear Renney's name. I think hes been vindicated many times over.

If you'd like for me to keep it limited to what a terrible job Tortorella has done this season, I can certainly do that. I have more than enough material.

Old
03-11-2010, 09:42 AM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
I'll step up and eat some crow.

I was one of those who called for Renney's head. I misjudged the offensive talent level of the team, thinking that guys like Dubi and Cally could step up and be better (like Cally was down the stretch last year). Dubi has been hurt, so that's part of the reason he hasn't done what I'd hoped, but even when he has played, he's been inconsistent.

Torts hasn't done what I hoped he'd do in terms of helping those guys take the next step, helping get Drury's offensive game on track consistently, or using an effective system to make the whole greater than the sum of its parts.

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 09:44 AM
Vito Andolini

Quote:
I dont think we need to clear Renney's name. I think hes been vindicated many times over.

If you'd like for me to keep it limited to what a terrible job Tortorella has done this season, I can certainly do that. I have more than enough material.
Yes, please do so. Who knows, some of it may actually even be pertinent to the conversation.

Old
03-11-2010, 09:46 AM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
No, last year Renney "lost the team" and the team needed a coach who could "take the team to the next level."

Disinterested hockey players don't through their bodies in front of pucks traveling at high speeds. It's clear he's lost a step or two. But you can't say he's disinterested as he plays hard every game.
I never said he doesn't try. He does try. I believe that and I see that.

When I say disinterested I mean, it just seems that win or lose, succeed or fail, nothing seems to bring him to life. he is listless, emotionless and dull. It seems that he is just as content to win as to lose. He showed more emotion in the Olympics than he has for his almost three years for us. he shows up for work, does his job, but in the end it doesn't seem he cares about the organization at all. its always that same blank, emotionless stare. Like he has not interest in this team winning or losing. Frankly, I think he has lost all joy for the game in the NHL.

edit: And yes I think that Renney did lose last years team, and it was the right call for him to be fired. however this team should have hired Laviolette for coach. I wanted him then, and still wish he was our coach now.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 09:49 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
They just need time to adjust to Torts system and get their legs.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote