HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Does Sather or Torts gett fired when we don't make the playoffs

Old
03-11-2010, 09:02 AM
beastly115

vCash: 500
Torts can only do so much. He was asked to make a chicken dinner out of chicken ****. Sather is the one responsible. He needs to go.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 09:02 AM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogie View Post
I love how people seem to think Wade Redden is the ultimate problem with this team. Like getting rid of him will fix everything.
No not everything but it would be a huge step in the right direction.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 09:03 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
It's very related.

If we make the playoffs - status quo is fine for another year, because "look, we just made the playoffs and earned several million dollars in revenue from the few additional home games we played!"

If we miss the playoffs - Dolan is out several million dollars in lost revenue and there's more pressure to field a substantially different team next year in order to show the "improvement."

In order to have cap space to substantially alter the team, I think he buries Redden.
So if Dolan is out several million dollars he'll have no problem being out several million more dollars by burying Redden in Hartford and using that cap space on another player?

The fact is Redden is a player who's been on the decline for four seasons now. His fate should not be tied to making the playoffs.

03-11-2010, 09:04 AM
we want cup
We do not Sow

I doubt it.

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 09:05 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
I love how people seem to think Wade Redden is the ultimate problem with this team. Like getting rid of him will fix everything.
It will fix a lot.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 09:13 AM
lovetherangers

Sather is GM for life, kinda like the Pope. The job is his till he dies or decides to retire. When Sather goes away the Dolans will convene in a college and wisps of white smoke will appear over the Garden letting us know who is the new annointed one. Seriously though as a living HOF builder the Dolans are completely blinded by Glennie boy and his bling.

lovetherangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 09:22 AM
Colt Seavers

I think we will see both Sather & Torts back next year.

If anything does happen, it will play out like another poster says: Slats will step aside & move into another role. Messier will likely be the next guy.

Yikes.

Colt Seavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 09:27 AM
lovetherangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt Seavers View Post
I think we will see both Sather & Torts back next year.

If anything does happen, it will play out like another poster says: Slats will step aside & move into another role. Messier will likely be the next guy.

Yikes.
I like Messier, I really do, but I am highly sceptical of him as a GM. I think he would make a great assistant coach, and perhaps in time develop into a competant Head Coach. I just dont see him as a GM.

lovetherangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 09:29 AM
mm11

something tells me neither will be fired. I think Torts will have a much shorter leash next year and if the blue shirts start out slow from the gates I could see Torts let go after 25 games or so

With Sather, I think he has way to much experience and contacts within the NHL circles to be let go. Dolan, IMO sees this and thinks this is a tremendous asset to have as a GM running his hockey franchise

In lieu of the dissapointing season Glen Sather has a history of pulling off amazing trades and has built a nice little prospect list

Personally Sather and Torts maybe over valued the talent the rangers have this year? Let's face it, the rangers were very very healthy compared to other teams this year and last year as well for that matter. Maybe the hockey brass assumed Hank can carry the load and get his team into the playoffs by himself like a Hasek has done, or like some recent goalies with little offensive help as early as this year Bryzgalov, and some past examples like Vokoun, Kiprusoff, Cam Ward, Rick Dipietro to name a few etc

The rangers management maybe assumed Hank could take the team on his back and carry them across into the playoffs and he very well could just do that. There is still time and with Hank being considered Elite should be able to do it. Its not to much to ask. There are plenty of examples of goalies being able to do this because management had enough confidence in them from the start just like the rangers do with Hank. As of right now its not happening but that could change because when Hank gets hot he gets blazing hot.

Just like the rangers assumed Hank could carry the team into the playoffs they assumed young vets like Cally and Duby would improve on their good years last year. Did they improve? alittle somewhat, but the ranger brass had to expect more. Then onto the defense, could Sather and co really expect Del Zotto to be a rock along with the other rookie in Gilroy?

In the end, there is plenty of time, the players need to bring it all the time now, and this includes the rangers best players like, Hank, Gabby, Cally and Duby. Just my 2 cents, I think Torts is used to having a goalie bail him out like the Bulin wall in the past and though Hank do do the same thing, it did help having Vinny and Co but in the end ,the Bulin wall did stop many pucks and was super clutch when called upon.

The rangers have the horses thanks to Sather and they have a coach whom has won a cup. It's up to the guys in the dressing room, there is no injury excuse if they fall short, the excuse will be the players did not perform at optimal level when they were needed the most and the top players have to take the heat more than anyone. Its a harsh reality and what can you do? New Yorkers expect the best and demand effort at all times

mm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 09:32 AM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Wade Redden and his $6.5 million cap hit, is the biggest issue at hand for this team.

Not only will you replace his horrid defense and no-show offense with someone better and cheaper, you have more cap space to maneuver with.

Jaromir Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 09:34 AM
Prusted

Quote:
HE'S NOT THE ULTIMATE PROBLEM!?

Prusted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 09:37 AM
Colt Seavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetherangers View Post
I like Messier, I really do, but I am highly sceptical of him as a GM. I think he would make a great assistant coach, and perhaps in time develop into a competant Head Coach. I just dont see him as a GM.

Agreed. Love Mess but scared ****less at the thought of him as GM.
I do not want to see that act on Broadway.

Colt Seavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 09:45 AM
Vitto79

getting rid of Redden won't solve the problem but it will open up much needed cap space. So it's a start. Paying someone 6.5 million to play in the minors over the next 4 years. Wowzah.

This is why the NHL needs to allow buy outs. Not very fair to Redden cause at 2 million no one is snapping about him but since it's such a bad deal and the cap is so important they are throwing the blame his way.

Is there even a remote chance he goes to the KHL and is off the books?

Also Sather is going to resign and Messier will be the GM, Torts stays

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 09:58 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
getting rid of Redden won't solve the problem but it will open up much needed cap space. So it's a start. Paying someone 6.5 million to play in the minors over the next 4 years. Wowzah.

This is why the NHL needs to allow buy outs. Not very fair to Redden cause at 2 million no one is snapping about him but since it's such a bad deal and the cap is so important they are throwing the blame his way.

Is there even a remote chance he goes to the KHL and is off the books?

Also Sather is going to resign and Messier will be the GM, Torts stays
The NHL does allow buyouts. Its just a very dumb thing to do, which makes sense because giving Redden that contract was a very dumb thing to do as well.

As for the KHL, Redden is a Canadian boy who recently got married and signed a longterm deal with the Rangers. He'd probably rather play on the moon than Russia.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 09:59 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
I seriously, seriously doubt either will go. I'd like to see both gone, but it's not happening.

It's just pain.

Last edited by nyr2k2: 03-11-2010 at 10:24 AM.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 10:00 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

The NHL needs to allow buyouts that don't **** you for years. Paying a large sum of money to the player is bad enough. Having a cap hit for double the remaining contract length is lunacy.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 10:02 AM
Dr. Ogrodnick

Quote:
If you don't see how getting Redden's contract off of the books improves this team then there really is no help for you.

Dr. Ogrodnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
The NHL needs to allow buyouts that don't **** you for years. Paying a large sum of money to the player is bad enough. Having a cap hit for double the remaining contract length is lunacy.
Why? So richer teams can be rewarded for handing out **** contracts?

I think the system is very fair.

Old
Dr. Ogrodnick

Quote:
I don't know about that. I wouldn't want to see the contracts Sather would throw around if he knew he had an easy out.

Dr. Ogrodnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 10:03 AM
Kel Varnsen
Below:Rangers' Balls

We're making the playoffs, neither gets fired. Neither should be fired. I understand people wanting sather fired, although I don't agree with it. But firing Torts would be schizophrenic as an organization and make no sense.

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 10:06 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Imagine replacing Wade Redden with a real #1 defenseman or someone like Heatley. Wouldn't this team be whole lot better? I think it would. That's the power of dropping Redden.

Imagine losing Drury, Redden, and Rozsival and replacing them with players who are worth their contracts?

That's $18.55M that could be spent on star players. Imagine that. We all should rejoice that in 2 more seasons we can lop $12M off the books. However, Redden will continue to be a problem going into the future unless something is done.

Old
03-11-2010, 10:07 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Why? So richer teams can be rewarded for handing out **** contracts?

I think the system is very fair.
and why is it fair that teams can't fire players who don't live up to expectations? The cap hit should be for the remaining length of the contract, not double.

Old
03-11-2010, 10:15 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by genericnyrusername View Post
We're making the playoffs, neither gets fired. Neither should be fired. I understand people wanting sather fired, although I don't agree with it. But firing Torts would be schizophrenic as an organization and make no sense.
So exactly what goes on here. Remember Trottier?

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 10:18 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
and why is it fair that teams can't fire players who don't live up to expectations? The cap hit should be for the remaining length of the contract, not double.
I certainly see your point, but I think the rule is set up to punish exceptionally stupid contracts. And they dont get much worse than the Redden pact.

Its not Redden's fault the game has passed him by. Its the Rangers' fault for giving him that contract when there was every indication he wouldnt come close to living up to it.

Old
03-11-2010, 10:28 AM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
He is the biggest problem.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

The biggest problem is the man who gave him a contract. The same guy who has screwed up his entire career as a GM. The guy who lived off of inheriting Messier and Gretzky.

Redden is merely this year's scapegoat. Malik, Rozy. Do ya get it, yet? The scapegoats are usually dmen that don't hit hard and fight. Occasionally a non-fighting forward also gets the thumbs-down.

Fans who fail to see the big picture year after year after year after year after year, will always need individual scapegoats because their ability to critically analyze has been surgically removed. Either that, or it never existed.

It's nauseating to see people write that Sather's hands are tired. Guess who tied them.

I shot my parents, dead. Now I'm an orphan. Poor me.

Last edited by chosen: 03-11-2010 at 10:35 AM.
chosen is offline   Reply With Quote