HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Coach's methods fall flat

Old
03-11-2010, 09:50 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito Andolini View Post
Yes, please do so. Who knows, some of it may actually even be pertinent to the conversation.
I think you should re-read the article in which Tortorella's predecessor is mentioned.

But I do respect your attempt to distract this thread from any broader/thought-provoking issues. I think thats the way to go considering you seem to be a supporter of Tortorella and his boorish behavior.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 09:56 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Tortorella has been worse than Renney at his worst. I'll say that.

We all complained about Renney's line juggling. Torts can't keep a line together for a period it seems.

We complained about Renney's overly defensive hockey style. Tortorella's safe is death system sucks. This team doesn't have the talent to be an all out aggressive team, yes, but Tortorella can't make up his mind on how he wants this team to play. We have games where we have leads and the players fall into a defensive shell and lose it. We have a team that's so unphysical that no one is scared of them. That's not safe is death. If it was safe is death, teams would be scared to play the Rangers because even if they win, they'd be hurting by end of the game.

As has been said, he's the opposite of classy. He's an ass at times. At times it may work, but when the team isn't responding, stop being such a jerk.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 09:59 AM
Vito Andolini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
I think you should re-read the article in which Tortorella's predecessor is mentioned.

But I do respect your attempt to distract this thread from any broader/thought-provoking issues. I think thats the way to go considering you seem to be a supporter of Tortorella and his boorish behavior.
What exactly does Renney's name being mentioned have anything to do with the fact that last years team didn't score enough and this years team doesn't score?

Yes...I'm distracting things by actually discussing the merits of the article, rather than playing into the other 20 threads that turned into Torts vs Renney.

Vito Andolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 10:01 AM
Nyrvana

This is ridiculous. Everyone that wants Torts gone is as bad as Torts himself. Everyone complains about line changing and line switching. But, why must we change coaches every 5 minutes. Isn't that doing exactly what we say we don't want to be done with the lines?

I don't think Torts has done a good job this year. However, look at our defensive core right now. We don't have the players to play in Torts' system. Go ahead and disagree, but he did lead the Lightning to the Stanley Cup. We have one forward that can score. Prospal, who is our second best forward was signed weeks before the season for around 1 million. Our team just isn't that good.

I'd say wake up to reality, and realize that this year was a rebuilding year. Look how many forwards and defensemen are young. A year much needed in my opinion. Too many people feel that we should win every year. Well personally as a fan, I'm sick of being the 6th, 7th, and 8th seeds in the playoffs just to watch us lose in the first or second rounds of he playoffs. If this is what we need to do to get better than I'm all for it. IMO, we are on the right track. Try to be patient.

Nyrvana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 10:03 AM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
Guys Torts is not the coach he promised. He has lied and faked his way through most of his career. The man is a bully and con man. Is this the man we want with the bright young future we have? Did you know Torts was suspened for hitting a fan while a asst with the Buffalo org back in the 90's and he was suspened for throwing a water bottle at a fan last year. Did he learn why because a old dog doesn't change

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 10:06 AM
Crease

I welcomed Torts with open arms, thinking his brash outspoken ways would inject some life and heart into an emotionless team. Ironically, this team may be the most lifeless since the lockout.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 10:08 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyrvana View Post
This is ridiculous. Everyone that wants Torts gone is as bad as Torts himself. Everyone complains about line changing and line switching. But, why must we change coaches every 5 minutes. Isn't that doing exactly what we say we don't want to be done with the lines?

I don't think Torts has done a good job this year. However, look at our defensive core right now. We don't have the players to play in Torts' system. Go ahead and disagree, but he did lead the Lightning to the Stanley Cup. We have one forward that can score. Prospal, who is our second best forward was signed weeks before the season for around 1 million. Our team just isn't that good.

I'd say wake up to reality, and realize that this year was a rebuilding year. Look how many forwards and defensemen are young. A year much needed in my opinion. Too many people feel that we should win every year. Well personally as a fan, I'm sick of being the 6th, 7th, and 8th seeds in the playoffs just to watch us lose in the first or second rounds of he playoffs. If this is what we need to do to get better than I'm all for it. IMO, we are on the right track. Try to be patient.
No, its most certainly not.

If it were, Prospal, Jokinen, and Girardi would be gone right now. Rebuilding is something that cant be half-assed...I dont know what Sather's plans were when a true rebuild should have occurred in 2004-2005, but Lundqvist's emergence and Jagr's reemergence proved to be fool's gold for the organization.

Take a look at the 2007,2008, and 2009 offseasons. You're seriously going to try to say that the team is rebuilding? No....they're retooling every offseason, and the results have been getting worse and worse.

Old
03-11-2010, 10:09 AM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

"That's it. If I've lost Cronkite, I've lost middle America."

Wait, you can't lose someone you never had, can you?

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 10:12 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Where's all the offensive fire power that was being stifled and held back by Tom Renney?
Torts hasn't had enough time to implement his system.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 10:12 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
I welcomed Torts with open arms, thinking his brash outspoken ways would inject some life and heart into an emotionless team. Ironically, this team may be the most lifeless since the lockout.
Precisely. This team has been the worst since the lockout and will finish as such.

Old
03-11-2010, 10:14 AM
Jersey Girl

Quote:

If it were, Prospal, Jokinen, and Girardi would be gone right now. Rebuilding is something that cant be half-assed...I dont know what Sather's plans were when a true rebuild should have occurred in 2004-2005, but Lundqvist's emergence and Jagr's reemergence proved to be fool's gold for the organization.

Take a look at the 2007,2008, and 2009 offseasons. You're seriously going to try to say that the team is rebuilding? No....they're retooling every offseason, and the results have been getting worse and worse.
Well said....

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 10:15 AM
SomebodySaveKreider

I think the biggest problem with the team isn't the coach (though I don't think he's done a stellar job), its the make up of the team.

This is the second coach in a year they've given up on. These players (minus a few) lack character and leadership.

To me the team is in major need of a Front Office blow up as well as a team blow up.

SomebodySaveKreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 10:23 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYROrtsFan View Post
- Anisimov is doing very little... Brings nothing physically and isn't exactly creating goals either. His few goals have come on plays where he's been given room and he can get off that good wrist shot. He doesn't create the room himself.
Actually, Anisimov played over 16 minutes last night. He seemed to be out there every 2nd shift in the later half of the 3rd period. Torts must have seen something from him he liked. Or maybe he was just playing others less as a punishment. Who knows with Torts.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 10:25 AM
alkurtz

The real issue is: how are we going to look next year?

Sather= still here

Torts=still here

Big contracts (Drury, Redden, Rozsival)= still here

Young players (Staal, MDZ, Anismov, Dubinsky, Callahan)= show some improvement

Old players (Drury, Redden, Rozsival)=continue to deteriorate

Help from Hartford= very little coming (Sangs gets a shot, Byers on 4th line, Gratchev still in AHL)

UFAs= if we clear all our salary space and sign Kovy we will have little depth and still need a #1 center

Physical play=we will still be a non=physical team

Team energy=we will still be a low energy team will little intensity

BOTTOM LINE=NEXT YEAR LOOKS LIKE A RERUN OF THIS YEAR

alkurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 10:26 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
I want Torts gone, but not even as a reaction to this year...I never wanted him in the first place. I get that another coaching change isn't a great thing to go through, but I think Torts was a mistake from the start. I want to correct that mistake.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 10:26 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Unless some big trades are made in the summer and Redden is thrown in to Hartford once and for all, this team will be the exact same thing next year.

Old
03-11-2010, 10:27 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
You forgot the

He's had plenty of time to implement his system. The problem is that the players we have seem incapable of playing that system, and Torts seems incapable of adapting to his players strengths.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 10:29 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
They just need time to adjust to Torts system and get their legs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Great minds think alike!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
You forgot the

He's had plenty of time to implement his system. The problem is that the players we have seem incapable of playing that system, and Torts seems incapable of adapting to his players strengths.
Yep. In all the "Renney sucks" debates, I always tried to point out that Renney's MO was never "all defense, all the time," until he came to New York. And that change in philosophy was due entirely to him trying to adapt to the talent he had on the roster...he knew that we could win by focusing on defense and goaltending, and implemented a system based around it. I haven't seen much flexibility from Tortorella; it's like he's trying to bang a round peg into a square hole.

Maybe I'm wrong though.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 10:35 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Actually, Anisimov played over 16 minutes last night. He seemed to be out there every 2nd shift in the later half of the 3rd period. Torts must have seen something from him he liked. Or maybe he was just playing others less as a punishment. Who knows with Torts.
I think Jokinen was in the doghouse for large portions of last night's game...that might be a record for falling out of favor, even for him.

Old
03-11-2010, 10:46 AM
Nyrvana

Quote:

That would just be bad business. I mean why tel lthe fans we're giving up. Even though we're right there for the playoffs. IMO, Prospal we're keeping cause we want him next year. Jokinen we got because of the trade with Calgary. and Girardi may be part of our future.

The last offseason we got rid of Gomez, signed Gaborik and Kotalik. Gaborik is clearly part of the future. Kotalik was supposed to help the power play. I think you should look at who made this team. Del Zotto, Gilroy - why not Sauer, or Potter, or Heikkenin?

My view of "rebuilding" isn't playing every young player. Instead it's letting those young guys grow in a defined role. Dubinsky is getting more time, as is Callahan. Del Zotto and Gilroy have gotten a lot of time. I think it has been a rebuilding year. As I said, be patient we aren't going to be fixed overnight and certainly not just by getting a new coach.

Nyrvana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 10:51 AM
BobSantos

Quote:
... Torts seems incapable of adapting to his players strengths.
These guys don't quite have "strengths".

Renney's adaptation to these particular guys "strengths" was definitely good. Don't let them think and take risks and maybe we have a chance to win. So? The problem ended up being that the results are strikingly similar either way because of certain inbred/preexisting qualities of management, ownership and maybe even of the fans.

We all need to take a deep breath and go with this for at least another season. Knee-jerking around will not help this club.

BobSantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 10:52 AM
BobSantos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
Guys Torts is not the coach he promised. He has lied and faked his way through most of his career. The man is a bully and con man. Is this the man we want with the bright young future we have? Did you know Torts was suspened for hitting a fan while a asst with the Buffalo org back in the 90's and he was suspened for throwing a water bottle at a fan last year. Did he learn why because a old dog doesn't change
I'm going to start lying right now and see if that gets me a SC. Riiiiight.

I wish he would fight with fans more often. Half this board would have to put up or shut up.

BobSantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 10:54 AM
yankeecpt15

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
Yeah, I was dying to see Laviolette coach this team. I loved what he did in Carolina.
Wheres the love for Torts winning a cup in Tampa?

yankeecpt15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 11:03 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
You forgot the

Didn't think it was necessary given how outspoken I was about the entire coaching debacle.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 11:11 AM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:

Well said and very true.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote