HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kevin Lowe on the Jason Gregor Show

Old
03-11-2010, 12:48 AM
nafrelio

vCash: 500
I listened to the interview, hoping to get a glance at the timeline of their "plan". Here's some key thoughts I heard on that theme...

- they want to "try to grow the thing for a 3-5 year period"
- "To grow it properly, in order to do it properly, we've seen you need the top picks...and so we also have some assessment to do...no more untouchables on this team"
- when asked if management would ensure that the (losing culture) would be changed by the start of next season, Lowe declined to answer that - "I don't want to get too much into the change we need to make as far as our culture - we'll let our actions speak to that and not our words".
- "we're going to be patient, because we're forced to." He alluded to one local hockey person who said it would take 7-9 years to do a proper rebuild and said that he didn't think it would take that long.
- mentioned that they'd like to be more patient with the youth - "regardless of what we do with the roster, expectations aren't too high."

I think they will continue to gut the team - surely they know that they cannot get another top pick next year with Hemsky and Khabbi back (he even acknowledged this earlier in the interview - that they wouldn't be in this place had those two not been injured). All this talk about a rebuild/retool, it seems to be coming clearer that they will try to land a top pick next year too.

So if they are going to be patient with the youth and allow them to learn the game in Junior or the minors, how do they expect to tank the season by filling the holes in the roster with vets?

Its going to be an interesting summer...

nafrelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 12:49 AM
nafrelio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafters View Post
hope he talked with Fowler....just in case
True enough.

nafrelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 02:05 AM
Wheatking

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDO View Post
Kevin Lowe's job entails...

#1) Eating breakfasts at public functions to support a new arena.
#2) Telling Tambs what to do.
#3) Saying we plan on following a template of "insert successful fad team."

Rinse and repeat .
This one was very true. In 2006-07 we were going to score 300 goals and this was modeling the team after the Sabres. When they brought in Tambellini they were modeling themselves after the wings. Now it's tanking to be like the Blackhawks.

Wheatking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 02:14 AM
Real_Estate-Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post

10-11: 6.5 mill NTC
11-12: 6.5 mill NTC
12-13: 6 mill
13-14: 4 mill
14-15: 3 mill

Cap hit = 5.5 million

That is Horcoff's contract. Looking at it, the best thing to do is to send him to the AHL starting for the 13-14 season.

That is the same time we will need to re-up whoever we draft this summer (Hall or Seguin hopefully).

Plus it's more economical to eat the last two years -- only 4 mill + 3 mill to get effectively a full 5.5 million in cap breathing space for both years. No penalty (unlike buy-outs).
If you do not mind, I am going to post that information every now & then; probably in every "monthly" Horcoff thread.....

Nobody is trading for him so he is ours; therefore Oilers management needs to come up with a plan while looking at the big picture.

Tambellini dumped $7.5 million in salaries "on defense" (I am going to miss Grebs) from next years budget. The Oilers still have a few bad contracts - but "cap he**" is no longer in our vocabulary.

We can afford to overpay Horcoff for the next three seasons without hurting the growth of "the kids". It is when the kids have earned raises that we need the money.

At that point, Katz needs to prove that having a rich owner has benefits by paying Horcoff big bucks to entertain smaller crowds.......

Real_Estate-Agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 02:21 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Real_Estate-Agent View Post
If you do not mind, I am going to post that information every now & then; probably in every "monthly" Horcoff thread.....

Nobody is trading for him so he is ours; therefore Oilers management needs to come up with a plan while looking at the big picture.

Tambellini dumped $7.5 million in salaries "on defense" (I am going to miss Grebs) from next years budget. The Oilers still have a few bad contracts - but "cap he**" is no longer in our vocabulary.

We can afford to overpay Horcoff for the next three seasons without hurting the growth of "the kids". It is when the kids have earned raises that we need the money.

At that point, Katz needs to prove that having a rich owner has benefits by paying Horcoff big bucks to entertain smaller crowds.......
If he has a nmc like some say he does and it is still in effect then that wont be an option.

I am the Liquor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 02:22 AM
Bryanbryoil
The Oilers Best

Quote:
Originally Posted by nafrelio View Post
I listened to the interview, hoping to get a glance at the timeline of their "plan". Here's some key thoughts I heard on that theme...

- "To grow it properly, in order to do it properly, we've seen you need the top picks...and so we also have some assessment to do...no more untouchables on this team"
- when asked if management would ensure that the (losing culture) would be changed by the start of next season, Lowe declined to answer that - "I don't want to get too much into the change we need to make as far as our culture - we'll let our actions speak to that and not our words".
- "we're going to be patient, because we're forced to." He alluded to one local hockey person who said it would take 7-9 years to do a proper rebuild and said that he didn't think it would take that long.
- mentioned that they'd like to be more patient with the youth - "regardless of what we do with the roster, expectations aren't too high."

I think they will continue to gut the team - surely they know that they cannot get another top pick next year with Hemsky and Khabbi back (he even acknowledged this earlier in the interview - that they wouldn't be in this place had those two not been injured). All this talk about a rebuild/retool, it seems to be coming clearer that they will try to land a top pick next year too.

So if they are going to be patient with the youth and allow them to learn the game in Junior or the minors, how do they expect to tank the season by filling the holes in the roster with vets?

Interesting, the best way to keep the Oil in the basement is to move Hemsky and Penner.

Bryanbryoil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 02:26 AM
MDupont

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real_Estate-Agent View Post
I think Horcoff willbe gone at the draft. Just a hunch.

MDupont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 02:27 AM
nullterm

vCash: 800
Question is, given 3-5 year rebuilding, do they deal Hemsky? He'll be in his prime when the team isn't. And only two more seasons left in the books then he's a UFA.

If he's willing to stick it out, be nice to keep him for when the team is ready.

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 02:31 AM
Real_Estate-Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDupont View Post

If anyone takes Horcoff's or Souray's contracts off our hands, we should make the deal. So long as we are not taking expensive long term contracts back in the deal...

But I will only believe that when I see it...

Real_Estate-Agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 02:42 AM
Bryanbryoil
The Oilers Best

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDupont View Post
It sure would help the team going forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullterm View Post
Question is, given 3-5 year rebuilding, do they deal Hemsky? He'll be in his prime when the team isn't. And only two more seasons left in the books then he's a UFA.

If he's willing to stick it out, be nice to keep him for when the team is ready.
It depends on a few things, is he willing to stay for a rebuild #1 and #2 will his being on the team hurt the rebuild? We know the answer to #2.

Old
03-11-2010, 08:30 AM
Barky

Buyouts

There is a great tool on Capgeek for those interested in the buyout implications.
For example, Robert Nillson:
http://www.capgeek.com/buyout_calcul...LCULATE+BUYOUT

ROBERT NILSSON BUYOUT FROM CAPGEEK.COM
2010-2011: $-83,333
2011-2012: $416,667

So if we were to buy him out this summer, we would actually get MORE cap space next season, and it would eat ~417K in the following season. The cash paid out would be 833K.

Something to think about, as you could compare it to sending him to the AHL which would pay out 2.5 Million to hide a cap hit of 2M.

Or maybe you trade him in a loss deal? (Nilsson and a 3rd for Doofus and a 7th).

If you think you may need that 417K in cap space in the 11-12 season, maybe you just keep him and pay him (either in the NHL or AHL) re-entry waivers... lots of options and quite interesting.

O'Sullivan, not as pretty:
http://www.capgeek.com/buyout_calcul...LCULATE+BUYOUT

PATRICK O'SULLIVAN BUYOUT FROM CAPGEEK.COM
2010-2011: $935,417
2011-2012: $397,917

Interesting to note that O'Sullivan actually makes less Salary than Nilsson for a higher cap hit next year. I would think there is more trade potential for O'Sullivan this summer anyhow.

Just some food for thought.

Barky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 09:04 AM
oilerbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersfan11 View Post
What happens when he is ****** next yr? The guy is just not that good.
How many centers have been .75PPG (top 30 for center: IE first line)and Faced tough Competition. Largely in Defensive zone Starts and not the soft offensive zone play and outscored. From 05-06 to 08-09. The answer is one. There is only one center in the league good enough to do this.

This year how ever he has been brutul for the first under a coach who could not beat his own .......

The nice thing is he is brutul for the first 40 of a new contract then gold the rest. I will take the last 8 games of Horcoff now that he doesn't give a **** about the booing or the contract pressure.

8GM 1G 5A +4 Me thinks he may be back.

oilerbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 09:28 AM
CupofOil

Honestly, actions speak louder than words as we all know too well when it comes to Mr. Lowe but it was good to see some freaking honesty for a change, i like the fact that he admits that he wants us to finish 30th and get Hall or Seguin, i like that he's getting to know Hall and vice versa and i'm especially interested in the buy out comment (doubt it will be Horcoff, maybe Moreau if they can't move him in the offseason), we'll see if he has the cojones to buy out Horcoff, that would be interesting.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 10:01 AM
N5991989
Oilers Fan

vCash: 788
It would not really be worth buying out Horcoff at least not now maybe when the team actualy needs cap space but Tambo has freed some up and we will still be rebuilding next year so we should be fine. Also why buy out Ethan you could easily send him to the minors for a year.

N5991989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 10:41 AM
Mr Sakich

1) keeping Horcoff to shelter the kids is a good idea. For the last 4 years, he has shown that he can be matched up agianst the very best opposition and not get eaten alive. This year , not so much but he seems to be returning to form.

In 3 years, the kids will be able to hold their own and Horc will be making 3-4 mill and be very tradeable.

2) does it make sense to trade Hemsky this summer. He is ufa in 2 years so we can always go after him at that time. Columbus will end up with a top 5 pick and may part with that for Hemsky. He is exactly what they need.

A deal comprising of Hemsky + ??? for Filatov and a top 5 pick would be great for our rebuilding process.

Mr Sakich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 11:45 AM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmask83 View Post
I think we can turn it around in the summer. I think we have enough good pieces from the first time we tried to rebuild. Gagner, Cogliano, Brule, add Ebs MPS and Seguin/Hall and you have a top 6 made up of only young guys and then add Penner and Hemsky. I think this is a great forward core to build around. There is one thing we need and that is the young Stud D-man. Larsson is the guy but if we want to get him we're going to need to give Hemsky another year off and Keep Eberle and MPS off the team and maybe even send Hall or Seguin back to junior. Then we need to sign no one new and we should keep both Nilsson and POS. If we ice a team like that we can get Larsson and that would be our final missing piece.

Just a wild guess, but...you're NOT a season ticket holder, are you?

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 11:57 AM
Bryanbryoil
The Oilers Best

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich View Post
1) keeping Horcoff to shelter the kids is a good idea. For the last 4 years, he has shown that he can be matched up agianst the very best opposition and not get eaten alive. This year , not so much but he seems to be returning to form.

In 3 years, the kids will be able to hold their own and Horc will be making 3-4 mill and be very tradeable.

2) does it make sense to trade Hemsky this summer. He is ufa in 2 years so we can always go after him at that time. Columbus will end up with a top 5 pick and may part with that for Hemsky. He is exactly what they need.

A deal comprising of Hemsky + ??? for Filatov and a top 5 pick would be great for our rebuilding process.
I don't think that we have a choice about keeping Horcoff. That said if he can rebound next year and take pressure off of our hopeful top 2 draft pick it's a plus going forward.

Old
03-11-2010, 12:02 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilerbear View Post
How many centers have been .75PPG (top 30 for center: IE first line)and Faced tough Competition. Largely in Defensive zone Starts and not the soft offensive zone play and outscored. From 05-06 to 08-09. The answer is one. There is only one center in the league good enough to do this.

This year how ever he has been brutul for the first under a coach who could not beat his own .......

The nice thing is he is brutul for the first 40 of a new contract then gold the rest. I will take the last 8 games of Horcoff now that he doesn't give a **** about the booing or the contract pressure.

So he has rebounded based on an eight game sample size? At least you didnt call us stupid..........

I am the Liquor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 12:13 PM
nvan97

Quote:
Originally Posted by nafrelio View Post

That sounds a lot like Moreau, Souray and Horcoff may be moved (bought out, traded, waived etc.). If they feel that there needs to be a culture change and their actions are going to do the talking then that, to me, seems like "leaders" are going to be moved.

nvan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 12:17 PM
Bryanbryoil
The Oilers Best

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvan97 View Post
That sounds a lot like Moreau, Souray and Horcoff may be moved (bought out, traded, waived etc.). If they feel that there needs to be a culture change and their actions are going to do the talking then that, to me, seems like "leaders" are going to be moved.
But who takes Horcoff? And even scarier, for what?

Old
03-11-2010, 12:20 PM
Bryanbryoil
The Oilers Best

Quote:

Only 1 man is capable of doing what Horcoff is doing.

Too bad that man isn't Shawn Horcoff.

Old
03-11-2010, 12:22 PM
Philly85
Moody'

Quote:

Well well well, look who decides to finally show up. When things could not possibly get any worse, all hope is lost, there is absolutely nothing to play for and the man has been embarrassed to the point where it's but an afterthought for the rest of us, OB decides to chime in with her/his/its pattented Horcology. Welcome back.

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 12:22 PM
Wheatking

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullterm View Post

I didn't get the impression they were thinking about trading Hemsky. When he brought up Hemsky and Khabibulin he was just pointing out that this opportunity probably doesn't present itself with them in the line up. He didn't sound like he was going to trade them so we could repeat this next season.

He said there is no set time for the rebuild but they were talking after the interview and saw something like this going down.

Year 1: Draft Hall or Seguin
Year 2: Another top 5 pick
Year 3: Flirt with the playoffs
Year 4: Be a playoff team
Year 5: Hopefully be in a position to do some damage.

I think that's realistic. Look at Chicago...

Year 1: Draft Toews
Year 2: Draft Kane
Year 3: Tie for 9th in the West
Year 4: Make it to Conference Finals
Year 5: This season they look like a cup contender.

Wheatking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 12:23 PM
HFPM

Send a message via MSN to HFPM
Quote:

The legend returns. Please remind us again of how Seidenberg is one of the best defensemen in the league.

HFPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 12:24 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

My dream is to get Adam Larsson next season. To have a Sweedish core of Svensson, Lander and Larsson would be fricken awesome and then have some solid complimentary players like Eberle and Hall/Seguin, Hemsky, Penner, Smid and Gagner.

Then some role players on the team like Hartikainen, Nash and Peckham. I really like the direction of this team so far, but it is crucial that we get another top 5 pick next season and even more ideal if we can get Larsson.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote