HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Coach's methods fall flat

Old
03-11-2010, 11:12 AM
chosen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
I welcomed Torts with open arms, thinking his brash outspoken ways would inject some life and heart into an emotionless team. Ironically, this team may be the most lifeless since the lockout.
It's not lifeless, it's almost devoid of talent.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 11:20 AM
Avery316
guilty as charged

Torts is an ego maniac and his refusal to adapt to his surroundings and the team he's been provided with have cost this team immensely. **** it I said it.....

Avery316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 11:37 AM
morffin

Brooks is a bitter little troll. I dont like a lot of things Torts does but he was right in making the TEAM take a bus together to games in NJ and Wrong Island.... you knew Brooksie had this little gem stored away for the first time the Rangers lost at either place.... or maybe Larry has an aversion to busses and bus stops.

morffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 11:37 AM
McRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
It's not lifeless, it's almost devoid of talent.
I would disagree with that. They have a few top 6 players, good role players and a top goalie. Their defense is actually better "on paper" than a lot of other teams, including the Devils who play fantastic defensively even with Martin having been out.

The problem is Sather and his revolving door of players that keeps the group from being a team. You can't add and remove personal every year (coaches included) and expect players to have any type of chemistry and the team to have any type of identity. And of course the coaching has been questionable. At times the team looks completely un-coached. Even an extremely crappy defenseman can be taught how to make a pass behind the net without having his partner dig it out of the boards.

McRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 11:49 AM
94now

Torts actually spent all his time here learning Renney's system. The team now is playing Renney's hockey at this point in time. Constant line shuffling is just a notorious part of it.
As Chico Rasch once correctly pointed out, a club will put up with any jerk as long as that player scores goals. Similarly Torts could be excused for his behavior should he coach a winning team. He should be fired given this season results. I don't think it will happen. I think Dolan will let him stay. If so I would like to see Brooks eating him alive. I really enjoy seeing an ahole's torchure.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 11:50 AM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
They just need time to adjust to Torts system and get their legs.
they're still not properly conditioned.... damn Renney.

I wish it were more gratifying being right in this case...

Brian Boyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 11:59 AM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Agreed.

I think Renney would have guided this team into the playoffs, and I dont even really think its up for debate.
Right, cause the Oilers rock. I know they have a bad roster and bad injuries, but they are showing absolutely nothing and their defense is retched. Renney isn't the answer no matter how much Tortorella is or isn't the answer as well.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 12:01 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchShamrock View Post
Right, cause the Oilers rock. I know they have a bad roster and bad injuries, but they are showing absolutely nothing and their defense is retched. Renney isn't the answer no matter how much Tortorella is or isn't the answer as well.
Thats a real legitimate argument, considering Renney isnt even their head coach.

So who is the answer? Or perhaps the answer is that there is no answer and until some of the roster deficiencies are dealt with?

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 12:01 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Well, the Oilers have played most of the season without their best player, Hemsky, one of their best defensemen, Souray, and their goalie has been awful.

I don't think it's a fair comparison at all. I'm pretty sure if Gaborik missed 2/3 of the season, we wouldn't even be close to a playoff spot.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 12:02 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
How are the Oilers at all relevant? Also he's not the head coach,

03-11-2010, 12:03 PM
yankeecpt15

and the lack of talent is not from coaching...its from the front office and its repeated horrible fa signings and draft picks

yankeecpt15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 12:04 PM
pld459666

vCash: 873

I believed that Renney's tenure had run it's course here and he needed to go.

The team stopped responding to him and once you lose the room, game over.

I supported the decision to hire Torts cause I thought we were going to get a coach that employed an aggressive style of in your face hockey. The "Safe is death" comment was a nice sound bite, but in reality you HAVE to be responsible defensively. I just hoped that he would be able to bring in a more balanced system and improve our PP.

Torts has failed.

He doesn't coach an aggressive style. I don't think that anyone has mentioned it publically, but he seems to have taken the wind out of Avery's sales. He seems to have reigned in Prust quite a bit. Prust was tied for the league lead in fighting majors and has been very quite since coming here.

Brashear while a mistake signing was also not allowed to do what he does best. Brashear is an idiot, we all know this. But unless he's instructed otherwise, he's a guy that goes out there and stirs crap up with opposing teams players. He never did that here.

The bottom line is that I am starting to get the feeling more and more that Dagoon is right. Torts of a Phony, Fake and a Fraud and he had me duped. More importantly he duped Sather as well, which is pretty easy to do.

There are a few players on this team that I like alot, but as they are currently structured, they are a rag tag group of individuals led by someone that talks the talk, but can't walk the walk.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 12:09 PM
Crease

We need more team building exercises! Like the trust fall, or maybe a paintball game.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 12:11 PM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Where's all the offensive fire power that was being stifled and held back by Tom Renney?
It was never on the roster to begin with so what's your point? Neither Renney nor Tortorella is fixing this mess.

More drama from fans with an itchy trigger finger, always ready to point the blame in the direction of the coach or the players but never the rotting supports keeping them together.

MisterUnspoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 12:12 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Renney's not really coaching the Oilers, and that team is way way less talented than our club.

Renney had this team 8 games above .500 and in the playoffs when they quit on him. And he didn't have a Gaborik.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 12:14 PM
XLJ

The beat writers do not like Torts because of the way he treats them. So when the team is playing horrible hockey they are going to get on him which is expected.

I think Torts is a good coach and I like his system over Renney's. But to be fair Renney has gotten more out of his teams than Torts has so far. Renney probably could of sneaked this team in the playoffs playing his defensive system.

The one thing about Torts that drives me crazy is all his line changes. You keep changing lines and have different players playing together they are not going to have great chemistry. There are only 15 games left you should know which lines work by now.

But to be fair to Torts he only has 3 players that actually belong on this team as top 6 forwards (Gaborik, Prospal, Dubinsky) and he has a soft swiss cheese defense. He doesn't have much to work with.

XLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 12:16 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterUnspoken View Post
It was never on the roster to begin with so what's your point? Neither Renney nor Tortorella is fixing this mess.

More drama from fans with an itchy trigger finger, always ready to point the blame in the direction of the coach or the players but never the rotting supports keeping them together.
People rant about the teams roster everyday here. EVERYDAY!

Maybe its actually a bit of everything - the players, the coach, the GM. Its more of the same ever since Sather got here. Imagine his record without stumbling upon one Henrik Lundqvist.

Old
03-11-2010, 12:20 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by msg View Post
The beat writers do not like Torts because of the way he treats them. So when the team is playing horrible hockey they are going to get on him which is expected.

I think Torts is a good coach and I like his system over Renney's. But to be fair Renney has gotten more out of his teams than Torts has so far. Renney probably could of sneaked this team in the playoffs playing his defensive system.

The one thing about Torts that drives me crazy is all his line changes. You keep changing lines and have different players playing together they are not going to have great chemistry. There are only 15 games left you should know which lines work by now.

But to be fair to Torts he only has 3 players that actually belong on this team as top 6 forwards (Gaborik, Prospal, Dubinsky) and he has a soft swiss cheese defense. He doesn't have much to work with.
I dont think its just the beat writers. I think thats how Torts treats everybody, and thats a real problem, especially in this city.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 12:20 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
People rant about the teams roster everyday here. EVERYDAY!

Maybe its actually a bit of everything - the players, the coach, the GM. Its more of the same ever since Sather got here. Imagine his record without stumbling upon one Henrik Lundqvist.
That's what I love about the Sather defenders. The only reason the team has been somewhat competitive is Lundqvist. Sather should be worshiping at Henke's feet.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 12:23 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterUnspoken View Post

My point is there were lots of cries last year of Renney's system holding back players who should score more. There were talks of how Renney has lost the team. There were talks that Renney (a la Roger Nielson) had taken this team as far as he could and the Rangers needed someone new to take them further (a la Mike Keenan). So, where's this offense that Renney was quelling?

Wanna go further? Renney was too quiet. Didn't get angry. There was no accountability. What's changed with this new coach?

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 12:23 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
That's what I love about the Sather defenders. The only reason the team has been somewhat competitive is Lundqvist. Sather should be worshiping at Henke's feet.
Thats why I say Henrik outlasts both Sather and Torts

Old
03-11-2010, 12:25 PM
Nyrvana

The bottomline is that no matter who we get in here to coach. We aren't going to win. So to say Torts is the problem is not fair. It's the players and ownership.

Nyrvana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 12:27 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyrvana View Post
The bottomline is that no matter who we get in here to coach. We aren't going to win. So to say Torts is the problem is not fair. It's the players and ownership.
And all the "Renney Defenders" are saying is this is a sentiment that was not afforded to Renney.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 12:33 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
My point is there were lots of cries last year of Renney's system holding back players who should score more. There were talks of how Renney has lost the team. There were talks that Renney (a la Roger Nielson) had taken this team as far as he could and the Rangers needed someone new to take them further (a la Mike Keenan). So, where's this offense that Renney was quelling?

Wanna go further? Renney was too quiet. Didn't get angry. There was no accountability. What's changed with this new coach?
things are louder. there are more cliches. more benchings, less results. that's all i got.

Brian Boyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2010, 12:38 PM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Quote:

It's the same. A middling team with nearly the same offensive and defensive stats. The same goaltender stopping the puck and the same wasted cap space and regressing players.

Pinning this on the coach, whether it be Renney or Torts, is well, nonsensical. He can't control (in the way fans think he can) their play. He could draw up the most brilliant game plan of all time and this poorly conceived roster wouldn't be able to execute it out there.

Unfortunately when your roster lacks creative forwards and puck movers (Sather?) you can't play an uptempo style like John would like, instead they have to revert to a more defensive style not unlike the Devils so that you give your middling offense and chance to win the game with 1 or 2 goals. This team isn't the Washington Capitals or the Blackhawks for ****s sake.

MisterUnspoken is offline   Reply With Quote